Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

OGL welcome Back

Jools and Lorenzo Very impressive, especially giving the conditions.

SJ Cheers for the advice. I stretched last night, my shin felt better but I could still feel it in bed. I stretched this morning and pain disappeared completely. So much so that I contemplated running today. However as I actually ran a 9 mile recovery run yesterday, there was no need to do 5 today.

Question is should I risk planned 16 tomorrow, as pain free (I believe it was caused simply by running on very tired legs) or be sensible and give tomorrow a miss. Rest day Monday and start new week on Tuesday?

Any advice greatly received. Just shows the importance of stretching/core work. Whilst I know this, I always ignore it.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Scooby - 2M or 4M loops, being (properly) prepared to bail if it starts hurting. I've done this when rehabbing sore calves. If it doesnt hurt then you bag the 16. You have to be honest with yourself though.

• Options

Thanks for all the "Welcome backs".

Was considering doing Edinburgh this year, despite not liking the course and the risk of training in dull winter conditions only to burn on the hotest day of a Scottish summer. But that is not an option as entries have now closed, they're full.

So it looks as though it will be Lochaber again, in April a week before VLM. This is handy as I booked the accommodation three months ago on the off chance that I might have permission to run.

Target time will be decided on the day (probably after about 4 miles) and will depend on how things have gone in training. Hopefully will run a good race and get a new PB currently on 3:11:xx

Minni: which parkrun did you do? no cross countries for me, my legs don't like the punishment and I need to clock up the miles.

TR: have you ever entertained thoughts of concentrating on running only for one season to see what you could acheive?

Scooby: Listen to TR, 2M loops sound a  very sensible idea.

• Options
    Mo vs the Brownlees - BBC1 now!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

OGL - Lochaber is a popular race, should be good. I did my first mara (VLM2008) off a run only approach, 6 days week with no doubles for about 60 mpw. All just steady running as I knew I had poor endurance as a novice.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Just watching it after videoing earlier SJ.

Welcome back OGL. 

Utter madness of the week award goes too....

Blisters wrote (see)

Personally, I spent an altogether far more pleasant 3h20m on the turbot, knocking out 52 miles. Whilst bike training I double tasked with watching a PADI Scuba Diving DVD, so I was Scuba training too!

I know you were mult tasking, but 3.20 FFS! 
  • Options

Gul - Very impressive mileage considering your were being very sensible at the beginning of the year.

Impressive multi-tasking Blisters.

Don't push it too much Scoobs.  Any pain or discomfort and stop.  Not the time to lose weeks out when missing a 16 miler is not the end of the world.

Ant - Do you inlaws talk about "those English" as you slowly get drunker????

Good long running Jools & Lorenzo.

Nice to see you'll be marathoning again OGL.

A very easy effort 16 miles for me this morning at 7.51 pace.  My longest run since VLM and longest week (44m) since March.  Pleased to get that done before the end of the year and takes me past last year's total mileage.

• Options
    Some good endurance tv/dvd watching. 90mins is my limit currently.

A come back run for me today. 21 miles sliding about down the Thames Path in road shoes in 8 min/m. Thames Path gave way at one point and I fell 3ft down and cracked my head. Must have been dazed as I didn't stop the Garmin.

26m for the week, and P&D abandoned
  • Options
    Ouch AR, how's the noggin now?

Is that P&D abandoned for good?
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Why not base build for a bit longer and start the 12 week P&D at the endo fo Jan AR?

I invented a new game today: Garmin Top Trumps. You and a running mate start the watch at the same time. Due to slight differences in the Garmin Satellite reading there is a variation in some of the key figures. At various points on the run you call out 'Pace' or 'Distance' or Heart Rate' and whoever has the better figure wins. Makes those 15m LSRs feel much more like 14.5miles!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hpe no damage done AR

Welcome back OGL

Good session TR

Been away for a few days, base has gone well, last day today with a steady 75 min run on the back of a decent parkrun up in York yesterday in 18:57. So all is looking good as the 16 week plan starts tomorrow.....

Take care all

• Options

Keir - like the game. You could develop it a bit further so that if you're passing someone (even a stranger) who's running with a Garmin you could challenge them spontaneously. Obviously relies on them knowing the basic rules!!! Maybe we could even create our own pack of TT cards based on forumites. image Any suggestions for categories?!

AR - ouch! Hope you're feeling OK now and that there are no side effects.

Good running from RFJ.

Big welcome back to OGL.

Rest day for me today, so had a game of squash with elder Lorenzito. Planning to get one last run of the year in tomorrow. 

Other than VLM I haven't got any races booked for next year - anyone out there done the Fleet Half (in mid March) as a pre-London tune up race?

• Options

SJ: A 30 week schedule for the ironman is a long bit of time, is it a slow steady progression with the aim of a single peak at the end or are there minor targets along the way, ie A- races or such. 30 weeks is a long time to keep the enthusiasm.

Keir: Like your thread, hope you smash your target but it's a bit too quick for me. Although I aim to pinch a few ideas from it, such as the 8 week training block. Intrigued by what the final 4 weeks will have in store.

Martin: An easy 16 miler feels good but I'm surprised that your longest week since March is 44 miles, whats your normal weekly mara campaign mileage.

AR: Hope the heads okay. did you have the garmin on auto-stop or are you going to manually adjust the figures to reflect the time lost?

Lorenzo: Can't offer any suggestions on races for you as I don't get south that often.

13.4 miles for me today in 1:58:57 which is 8:48m/m pace, might try to claim it as a progressive as the first half was at 9:30 pace and 150bpm, the second half was sub 8:00 pace and a HR of 139bpm. The snow and high winds might have had an influence. Longest run for 10 months.

• Options
    SJ / Keir, I will be abandoning running to the schedules, but will continue to incorporte the principles of the plan - similar to the last marathon.

No harm done on the fall - just cuts, grazes and a bruised ego. Seems to be a thread theme
  • Options

Keir, the best place to play the GPS game with mutli players is during a long race. When you are approaching a mile marker you can hear all the beeps going off at different places. Then you can go on line afterwards and listen to all the bullshit theories about weaving.

Anyway. 8+ miles on the rolling course, knocked out at a very pleasing 7:40m/m. The legs knew about that one. I think that we'll call it a lactate threshold session.

• Options

Some nice long runs being posted again.

I decided to give my 16 miles a miss today. Firstly to rest the leg, which is now pain free and secondly and more worryingly I just can't be a**ed at the moment. I feel guilty and stress about not running but I really have to push myself out of the door. I normally have a quiet couple of weeks when I first get home and I believe returning home right at the start of an 18 week, 6 days a week schedule is the issue. I spend all my time thinking/stressing about running and schedules. I know this is not good.

• Options

There are surely enough things to stress about in life without adding running to the list.

AR - ouch. As for giving up the schedules, I sense that you may be a leftfield runner anyway so schedules may not be much of a loss

Lorenzo - Paddock Wood HM down nr Tonbridge in March, cant be too far from your patch.  Fast and well timed for VLM. 

Nice parkrun by RFJ

12m this afo along the canal, brought up a tantalising 2149 for the year. Better get out tomorrow.

• Options
    That's the right decision to give the leg a rest Scoobs. Don't stress the campaign though, you are starting from a good base so a couple of weeks just listening to your body and mind and running for fun will be a positive rather than a negative in the big picture.

Good to hear you are in one piece AR

OGL, yes 30 weeks sounds a long time but it probably needs that amount of time to not have a horrible blowout. The schedule is broken into 3 x 10week blocks: base, build and then peak. I'm only looking at the first 10 weeks to keep it mentally manageable. Training is quite easy and enjoyable at the moment mind. 8.5 hrs done this week all nice and steady.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    You missed a great run at the coast today Poacher. Freezing cold, gale force winds, ankle deep mud and frisky cows all added to the joy. Speedy joined me and we took a detour at Boulmer to add a few extra miles on the end, as you do, clocking up 16m.
  • Options

Very jealous Minni, sadly work intervened image if only the opposite had been true. Boulmer has mud all year round too.

• Options

It was indeed a lovely run, which brings me to 2695 miles for the year. I have a 5 mile recovery run planned for the morning image.

The shoes and socks I wore have had to go in the bin, so it's a good job I wore old ones! And Minni forgot to mention that the gale force wind was a headwind. You've got to love point to point runs.... On the plus side, we got free Microdermabraison on the beaches. Some folks pay a fortune for that. 

• Options

DS2/AR - See, I told you it was dangerous out there. Hope there's no lasting damage.

OGL - Welcome back! Yes, the race is hilly, it's effectively along the seafront but it goes up and over the headland that links the two main beaches in an out-and-back circuit you do two loops of, so you're climbing four times...even so in 2011 I did it in 21:20 which is 3:48/km pace, so not too shabby..

Poacher - They were hardly cast-offs! That's quality, that is...

DS2/Slokey/Jools/Lorenzo/Martin - Actually, you're not too far off the mark, although all I do is have a couple of beers, ffs. I don't exactly get bladdered! It's just that they don't drink anything and so I do find it a bit awkward, but not enough to want to deprive myself. They don't say anything, though, because they hardly notice me at the best of times. And I don't say anything when I come back from an 11-miler (like this morning) and they're all still in bed.

• Options

I have looked at my trainers a few times since getting back from my run, wondering what to do with them. Thanks for the answer image

It's a pity garmins don't have old style car mileometers to tantilise you with doing a few more miles. 

• Options

In my angst, I forgot to say:

Speedy/Minni - Normally it's a pleasure to spend time in your company, but I have to say I wouldn't have fancied it much today. Ankle-deep mud, gale-force winds and getting sand-blasted? No, you're all right, thanks.

My efforts got me a 40-mile week for the first time in a good while - since May, in fact.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

11 for me in Cumbrian gales and 49 for the week.

• Options
    OO, is your new years day summit still on the cards?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Slokey I ran about 1/3 up Skiddaw today as a trial, but it was too cold and windy so I turned back early and settled for Latrigg instead. It made me appreciate how tough it is, too steep to run in sections and snow on the top. I'll have to take a spare jacket and snow grips for my shoes for the real thing on New Years Day.   

• Options
    Sounds like a fun way to kick off the new year!
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Skiddaw on New Years Day should be fun OO.

Lots of tough runs being bagged by everyone today.  The northern coastal run sounds like anything but fun and there is clearly something wrong when towpaths in the southeast start collapsingimage 

Welcome back to Martin and OGL.  It sounds like you're both in good shape at this stage.

Last run of the year for me today.  16 miles with some MP effort (7:15 m/m pace) towards the end (should have been 8 miles but only managed 5) to give me 56 miles for the week.  All relatively slow at the moment but getting in the volume and remaining injury free are the main priorities.

1064 miles and no races for the year.  VLM2011 was my last 'race' and it's been a struggle to get back in to shape since then.  Tentative sign of things heading in the right direction at the moment but we'll see what the New Year brings.image

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭

Good running by all in rather shit weather.

My first Marathon paced run today based on effort (Heart rate), 17 miles with 8 at MP. The MP miles averaged 6.54 min/mile pace at a heart rate of 155 which is a little below my VLM average heart rate. Legs felt a little mashed at the end and it certainly didn't feel 'comfortably' hard, although heart rate was telling me otherwise, so I'm not kidding myself I could hold this pace for 26 miles at the moment. But it is 14 secs per mile quicker than the same run at the end of last year, so a nice place to be at this stage.

Total mileage for 2012 = 2218 Miles

2 PB's VLM 3.1.40 and Wokingham HM 1.23.14

1 MV40 Trophy.

Onwards and up for 2013.