Options

ASICS Super Six: Bridget (Sub-4:15)

Comments

• Options

Nice paces Bridget.  image

I've got to get back up to speed as I've been taking it a little too easy since the Bedford Half and Christmas and I want to be ready to get straight in to the training for Edinburgh which starts at the end of the month.  I was really confused about the change in the Garmin Plans too - the downloaded runs on the Garmin Training Centre are different to those for it on the RW page, so maybe they haven't finished updating it yet - Hope they get it sorted soon

• Options
    Wow well done USB image really really pleased for you and look forward to stalking you over your training and beyond image

congratulations xxx
  • Options

I've had an email from Bud today but have saved a question about tomorrow's session for here so that everyone can benefit from the answer.

Tomorrow is 1 mile jog, 4 miles at half mara pace (9.20) and 1 mile jog.  It is also club night where we have groups running at different paces for at least 6 miles.  I'd like to try to fit my session with them as it is nice to have company sometimes. 

My thinking is to get there early to warm up (the group heads straight off at pace) and then join the 9.30 mm group for their first 3 miles before peeling off to do the last mile and the cooldown by myself.  I would also try (having explained to the group leader what I am doing) to run slightly ahead of the group to increase the pace slightly.  

Does this sound a reasonable plan?

• Options
    Just poppin in to say hello USB, nice to have met you the other day, hope your training goes well!
    As for your question, sorry, I haven't a clue, I know nuffin image
  • Options

I always like to put a 'proper' face to a name Madlot image

5.25 miles done.  Target pace of 11.11, actual was 11.07 although that does conceal a slow uphill mile and a correspondingly quicker one on the way back!  My legs felt heavy from time to time which I suppose is a hangover from last night's session.

Fuelling by Christmas cake tonight.  Might try stollen tomorrow image

• Options
    good running USB,,,,image
  • Options

Wot she said.

Wonder what the question for the trainer is and thanks for thinking of the rest of us.

• Options
    Good stuff USB and lovely to see you going great guns at this.  Well doneimage
  • Options
    "I always like to put a 'proper' face to a name Madlot"

Sorry to disappoint image
  • Options
    SB did you say you are using the sub 4 plan but with the paces altered for 4.15?  Was just wondering how you got the half mara pace of 9:20 etc.  I did just 4.5 after work last night at 10 something pace but felt surprisingly hard!!  Think legs were complaining after Sunday 15 miles and Tuesday speed and knees definitely felt cranky last night.  Plus I was ravenous last night - I should try your re-fuelling technique!!
  • Options
    Jeepers wrote (see)

Wot she said.

Wonder what the question for the trainer is and thanks for thinking of the rest of us.

Wot I asked about altering tonights session!

Pinks - if you use the link in the very first post to the schedule you'll see a list of paces on the right hand side.  Go to the bottom and you can change the target time.

• Options

A bit of a pain in the bum

Not a good run tonight I'm afraid.  I've had occasional short lived pain in the butt before and it had reared its head again at the beginning of the week.  Strangely although the drive to work left it really stiff and me hobbling across the car park as it loosened up it didn't cause any problem once I got running and the sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday went to plan.

Today it felt fine all day with just a tiny bit of tightness behind the knee, but when I started my warm up it began to make its presence known again.  Warm up done I stood around for a few minutes while people chatted and the chair gave out the notices.  Then I discovered that the '9.30' group was actually going to be a 'maybe 9, maybe 9.15, maybe 9.30, see how it goes group'.  An uncertain starting pace is no good for my OCD and it also proved to be no good for my butt.  As I suspected the front end of the group which included the leader went off pretty smartish and before long I found myself struggling to keep well up.  As the pain got more obvious I seemed to shorten my stride to get the pace up and then the front of my thigh started to hurt (compensating for the butt perhaps?).  

I had already made it known that i was going to do just half the route with the group but had hoped to have company for that bit but sadly as I struggled to keep below 10mm no-one thought to wait for me so I was unable to find out if a bit of distraction would have helped me relax.  After the second mile I made the decision to stop, stretch and then take the short route back but while I was stopped a slower group came along and I decided to go with them to the next turn off point at least.  The slower pace did help reduce the pain which had been the most I have experienced but I ended up with a much slower run than planned.

I shall get someone to give it a rub tonight and see if I can get an appointment for a massage before the therapist moves away from here.  Tomorrow is a rest day so hopefully things will ease up again.

Even without the pain I have come to one decision about the Thursday runs.  If I can't be certain that the leader will keep the group at a set pace it will be better to do a warm up and then go straight into the faster bit of the run on my own.  I'll still go over to the sports centre around the same time so should see a few people as I run but I won't be trying to over do it either.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Bridget)))

This was one thing I didn't like about a club I tried out especially as I hadn't got a Garmin to see what pace I was running at & their slow pace turned out to be much faster than mine.  I'd say stick to your guns pace wise & take your Garmin with you on the next club outing or do the runs on your own with the Garmin.  Hope things settle down with your niggle.

• Options

somedays it just doesn't feel right.good decision to slow done instead of trying to hit the perscibed target..wish i had done that last year training similar to you........image

Hope it will all be sorted in th morning oe quickly

• Options
    Aw, Bridget image

Hope the massage helps image
  • Options

HY4 - I had my Garmin on but starting with a group it is hard not to get drawn in.  Luckily I am ok running on my own and singing to myself!

Seren - definitely trying to wear my sensible head as although I have the mileage base I spent last year being comfortable whereas now the pace is much more varied

*Frodo* - I got a Lush massage bar from my parents  for Christmas!

• Options

Oh feck Bridget.

Right, a stretch that's helped me.  The pain in the butt with me is the piriformis (bum muscle) which if that's what's causing you jip, you can run through on its own albeit in pain, but unfortunately is connected to the hamstrings, ITB, so has the potential to pull the kneecap out of line if you don't sort it.  In my case the catalyst was different - tell me they didn't give you new running shoes?

First, take tomorrow off running, and the next couple of days if you need to. 

Secondly the stretch.  Lie on your back, put the ankle of the bad leg over the knee of the good one, grab your thigh and roll back just until you feel the stretch.  Don't pull it more than is comfortable, but hold it for at least a minute, repeat on the other side even if that feels okay, then do the same again.

Hope that's of some help in the short term before you see a professional if you need to.

• Options

No, I am still in my usual shoes image

The thigh of the bad leg or the good one?

• Options

Both, but do more of bad leg over good, like this, only ignore the scarily bad advice about doing it before you get out of bed on muscles that haven't warmed upimage

• Options

Bridget I hope you get that sorted, in the 12 months I have known you this is the first time I have ever heard you mention a problem.

It is easy to get drawn into wrongly paced groups too, I have been there to my cost, when we go out we do always check everyone is still there during the run though image

I hope you get sorted .

• Options
    P.S.  Try sitting on an tennis ball too.  Ouchy, but a good deep tissue massage
  • Options

Bridget, sorry to hear of your problems.  I had something similar a year or two ago, had a dodgy massage which upset one leg.  I went to my fizz who diagnosed piriformis problem, massaged it and advised the same exercise that Hash linked.  That worked wonders.  If you can do it often and regularly, then I'm sure that you will soon recover.

• Options

Thanks all.  I've got a tennis ball in the car and sat on it on the way home on Tuesday, it got really painful after a while but then most of Wednesday was fine so figured that helped so will keep doing it!

hash - I thought that wasthe one you meant.  I love the way he demonstrates it in suit trousers and tie!

Official rest day today image

• Options

I remember showing my group that stretch and lying on the pavement.  I got asked if I was ok by a passer by!   god only knows what he thought!

Hope you get it sorted quickly USB

• Options

Stretches done this morning and the tennis ball has come up to the office with me image

I was going over to parkrun in the morning as I have all the kit but have now emailed the RD for tomorrow and arranged to drop it off to him tonight on my way to the supermarket.  There are plenty of volunteers and if I am not going to be able to run I might as well have a lie in!

• Options
    Hope you recover soon, I pulled my hamstring last year in March by going out too fast with a younger runner who pushed me to a silly 7mmile and I tried to burn past him and bang twanged the muscle. Go at your own pace and do your own thing, know what you are going to do when you go out and things will be fine.  Enjoy the lie in. Snow here so may have to do the same in the morning.
  • Options

I use the tennis ball trick quite regularly Bridget.  I do get some strange looks when I stand up to leave a meeting though!

You mean you don't go running in your best frock?  Tsk tsk.  Standards daaaahhhling, standardsimage

• Options

I decided to wait to sit on it until after our unit meeting as I'm not sure the consultants would have understood image

My purple tutu is the limit of my satorial elegance.  Gentle bit of cross-training at lunchtime by walking to M&S to recycle the Christmas cards.

• Options
    Bridget - you need the elbow in your bum image It is very painful image