Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Glyn -  If your HR was high I would have thought the effort would have felt hard, what's your resting HR.  Maybe you were getting some dodgy readings, which dragged the average up.  Don't think you can increase your Max HR, but your resting HR should come down as you get fitter so your HR reserve increases.

Minni -  Congrats on your fell race.

AA -  Good effort on New Years Eve/Day.image

Simon -  Don't remember Petula Clark but we were all singing along to Downtown.

• Options

Morning everyone.

Back at workimage but it's only for a week and a half and then off snowboarding.imageWas thinking that maybe I should bite the bullet and try to do some of my running outside when I'm away. Has anyone on here used yaktrax?  I think Chick mentioned it? Is it any good?

Also does anyone know what they use in Canada in terms of m/h or km/h. I'll have to somehow work out my paces for the treadmill...image

Off to the track tonight for a killer session. image

• Options

Brolish - I can beat you...I'm back to workfor just 2 days and we're off on holiday to the Cotswolds for a week on Friday image.  Can't help you with the Canadian TMs though - gut feel is they would be the same as the US (miles) but could be wrong!

Happy New Year everyone....hope the hangovers are all long gone. We stayed in on NYE and didn't even stay up to midnight...we don't really do new year celebrations image  I managed a nice 8 miles yesterday, lovely weather for it for a change and it felt a lot better than the long run on Sunday, and a faster pace as well, averaging 7.55's.

Spoons - well done on the 10k. It's a long time since I've done Ely - do you still get a bottle of beer at the end?

Minni - top work for the start of the year image

• Options

Hi Folks

Glyn: The 910xt is an awesome bit of kit, even if you only use it for running it doesn't have that awful bezel and the battery is good for 20 hours.

Gazelle: That 21,000 miles is 10 years worth, there was a time when I ran 2700 miles in a year but can't be bothered anymore.

Minni / MrZ impressive starts to the New Year

FRC: Awesome 10K sir, you have got a lot quicker.

Bro: Canada is an imperial country, too much American influence for the metric system. I'm at work too but off skiing on the 13thimage

Was camping in the desert for NY, three bottles of cider and one glass of bubbly = hangover but in truth most of that was due to virtually no sleep.

Just back from a 2K swim set (outdoorsimage) speedwork 14 x 400M off 60 seconds @ 3K pace tonight, sounds vomit inducing.

• Options

DD- I like the sound of your NYEimage. 14 x 400m @ 3k pace- vomit inducing indeed...image. Good luck with it.

• Options
    Glyn make sure you wet/lick the back of your hrm so the is good contact with your skin or you can get bad readings particularly at the start of your run. When I'm next on my pc(unless someone beats me to it) I'll post a link to Hadd training its long but explains it really well.
  • Options
    Scuba Trooper wrote (see)
    Glyn make sure you wet/lick the back of your hrm so the is good contact with your skin or you can get bad readings particularly at the start of your run.

thats a very good point - its less important to do this in the summer but in the winter there will be little sweat to keep the contact true. if there isnt good contact a garmin will often recognise flapping in your shirt as a heart beat

• Options

Happy New Year, all!

Very quiet one for me - with only one glass of champers image. Yesterday was a big fat zero day for me too -- it was chucking it down and I simply couldn't be bothered to get wet and miserable on New Year's Day!! But I ran 12 miles this morning as I felt a teensy bit guilty about being such a wimp image

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)
    Afternoon team!

Just back from a very refreshing sea swim! Didn't bother with the wetsuit as I thought I was just going to plop in and jump out but found it reasonable enough to swim out the bouy and back, about 100 - 150 meter swim

A great way to clear out the cobwebs / hangover

Gentle trot later

image - Mr. Z, that's nuts!!!

Minni wrote (see)
    It went well Brolish and I'm really pleased I made the effort to go. It's not the kind of thing you can measures against any other race except for the effort level perhaps. Starts in the town the goes into the fells and its up, up, up. Was chatting to a non runner when the start bell went so started right at the back but picked people off and felt quite good. It was impossible to know position but I felt pleased with the way I ran, especially after partying last night.

Sounds like a good one, Minni. Well done for getting out. I noticed a lot of names on Jantastic that don't translate to forum names ... who are all these people?

Scuba Trooper wrote (see)

Mr Z and Minni mad ways to start the year. I managed 15mile in an hour on my bike this morning, first nice weather in a while so really nice to be out and about.

Hope everyone's hangovers clear well.

Just noticed that I've done 7 straight days of training, only about an hour a day and moderate heart rate, I don't feel tired. May have to fit in a rest day but not tomorrow I want to get back in the pool.

Good luck with Jantastic everyone.

Scuba: that's excellent news! Seems like the op has done the trick. What a great way to start the new year image

Brolish wrote (see)

Morning everyone.

Back at workimage but it's only for a week and a half and then off snowboarding.imageWas thinking that maybe I should bite the bullet and try to do some of my running outside when I'm away. Has anyone on here used yaktrax?  I think Chick mentioned it? Is it any good?

Also does anyone know what they use in Canada in terms of m/h or km/h. I'll have to somehow work out my paces for the treadmill...image

Off to the track tonight for a killer session. image

I like my Yaktrax, Bro. They don't look like they work on ice (basically it's a rubber construction with metal coils) but strangely enough they do. They are best on snow though.

As for Canada, I'm pretty sure that when I drove there it was road sign

• Options

whoops, message was cut off ...   it should have said:

... road signs in km. Strangely enough my London gym had their TMs all set to kms too ...

Enjoy that killer sesh image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

brol - I've got a spreadsheet converting minutes per mile to kilometers per hour for treadmill use.  I'll email it to you when I'm on my computer.

8 miles easy today ended up being 8.5 @ 7:32 followed by 2.5 off road with the dogs. image  Naughty me.

• Options

Minni- tut tut!image Nice pace.image The spreadsheet will be much appreciated.

Right, off to purchase yaktrax.  I've checked out the website and apparently there are lots of amazing trail runs in Whistler, many of them can be run in winter. Just a bit concerned about the bears but I assume they hybernate at the moment.image

Chick- well done on 12m this morning.

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

first run of 2013 done!  Nice 30mins tempo round the park. Nice to be picking up the pace a bit more.

ST - great progress

Zuvai - good point on the contact - I've also found sometimes that an HRM can 'stick' on a higher HR (e.g. 230) fo a few minutes before finding the right beat - this would give an inflated average.  Glyn - if you are able to download the graph for the run you can check this easily by looking at the trace.

• Options

Back at work image

Freemers - yes - bottle of beer and a t-shirt image

Jantastic day 2:

Easy 60 minute run for me tonight. My shins are aching a bit so will see how it goes.....

• Options

Spoons - I thought Jantastic starts on 07/01 ?

• Options

Glyn - this is the link I mentioned. a long read but worthwhile, also the link it mentions which goes into more detail about the biochemistry and physiology stuff.

hadd training

I had another look at my IM training plan and the mid week runs are at zone 2 heart rate but the longer weekend runs (1-3hr) are zone 1-2 depending on how you feel which makes more sense.

Hour in the pool for me this morning, feel hard work so time for a rest day.

Thanks everyone for there good wishes and encouragement, over the last month or so, it has really helped.

• Options

Afternoon all. First run of the year done for me. 17 miles @ 8:47 pace. Felt nice and comfortable. I'm trying to download the 410 data for the garmin...but its not working or just slow....image And I'm impatient image

ST - when's your IM?

• Options
    carterusm wrote (see)

Spoons - I thought Jantastic starts on 07/01 ?

Yes - you're right. I hadn't really looked.... image

• Options

Hello everyone & happy NY to you all.

I've been out of range for a couple of weeks in the land where you're heading Freemers, the Cotswolds. Had a fantastic couple of weeks, made all the better for finally being able to get out of the door!

A 2 mile slog on a bog, on top of a hill in a howling gale and the pouring rain has never felt so good! Have managed to follow it up with a few more gentle runs too, peaking in 5M at 8.50 yesterday. Not sure the knee is quite 100%, but as I can run on it without hurting, I'm going to try and slowly build back up.

Glyn - I'm just back from nearly 6 months off and my gentle 2M had my HR up at 180 by the end for 9.30 min miles, so your reading might be accurate. I could run 20 easy 9 min miles at 148 in my VLM training.   

Rather annoyingly as I want to train by HR to keep effort low, my 405CX bit the dust on my third run. It seems to be catching, as everyone's is at it, but alas a soft/hard reset and uploading the new software which allegedly fixed it has had no bearing. Simply conks out the moment I take it off of the charger. Quite annoying, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not too fussed as I'd much rather concentrate on the fact I can get out of the door again (although I should add that I've been up and down about 300 steps today at work, so I might be back to square one by tomorrow morning as they're to be avoided at all costs after runners knee apparently!).

• Options

AA - Are you realy that much of a technophobe? Are you using garmin training centre or something else? I find the ANT thing can be very slow and it takes a couple of refreshes on the traing centre for the runs to appear.

I'm doing Challange Henely 8th Sep, the same time as your doing the Half. I decided to concentrat soley in that in November as I thought I had or would miss too much training to seriously consider a spring marathon (although at this point that descision doesn't seem as right as id did a month ago).

Redwood - Great to see you back out on the road/bog. Hope the stairs don't set you back.

• Options
    Kfc - The Velodrome taster sess is brilliant, I've been a couple of times and loved it.

Minni - You'ved challenged me twice on Jantastic. Typical of you picking on a injured, Oap like myself! Lol
  • Options

ST - I think its my laptop. Might try and do it on the kids image

Cleats update......THEY ARE ON image Went up and down the lane and didn't fall off. Go me image Clippin in is harder than releasing. Gonna try and venture out on friday or saturday and try not to fall off...image

• Options

right, confession time....

i dont own and have never used a foam roller image 

could someone point me in the right direction please?

(cue the torrent of some of the most phallic looking items on the web posted image)

• Options

Sarah- You seem to be able to complete all your sessions very well, do you prefer short/speedier sessions or endurance runs say anything over 15miles slow? When I do a long run I have to break it down in sections so go faster for the last half or change the pace every 5 miles, if I don't do this I get quite boredimage 

KFC- I'm sure with all your x training you will be pbing very soon, when and what is your next race?

Freemers- Where about's are you going in the Cotswolds? If your close and you fancy a run up the hills mid week let me knowimage

DD- Where are you going Skiing? Were off to Peisey les-arcs on the 13th. Your speed session sounds fun, not!

Minni- Nice stats for today's run, what will your total mileage be for this week?

ST- I bet you have done more training than some of us on this thread over the last few weeks, hats off to you.

Off to do a speed session with my club tonight, I wonder what I'm letting myself in for...

• Options

aware that im on a dangerous slope here; does thickness / length have any impact? and is there any benefit in a ribbed/ knobbled one?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Massive impact Z!image
  • Options

size matters, we all know that image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Although those with a small thinner one would argue that it's how you use it that matters.

The one I use is short and think and chewed at the end but it still works ok, if you get it in the right position....
  • Options

Gazelle - we're staying in a village called Chedworth, which is a bit north of Cirencester.  I'm not sure what my running plans are at the moment - I've sort of promised OH I wouldn't do too much as I think he got a bit fed up when I ran every day on our last holiday, but that was a lot closer to marathon day....I figure it won't do me too much harm if I back off a bit next week. I've signed up for 5 runs a week on Jantastic, but 2 of those could be when I'm back home the following weekend, so really only need to do 3, and I may well just stick with that.  As things stand I'll probably just get them out of the way first thing in the mornings and run round the village for a few miles...but if I change my mind and am up for something more strenuous in the hills I'll let you know image

Mr Z - I think the firmer the better, but length is less of an issue (IMHO of course) imageimage. Mine is smooth, but I've also used a knobbly one before - can't say it made a difference, but it was only the once image

AA - nice 17 miler...and don't fall off the bike image

Red - great to see you back in the game. Hopefully a slow build up will do the trick. And don't worry - the fitness and lower HR will come back soon enough - I know this time last year when I was just starting again after an injury layoff I felt completely unfit, but it doesn't last to long image

5 miles tempo d&d earlier - meant to be 6 but my hip was playing up a bit so I backed off. Aiming for 6 miles easy pace tomorrow, but will see what it feels like. I'm not really worried about it, as it is something I get from time to time, and generally goes away after a bit so long as I don't overdo it.  As people have said, better to get these niggles out of the way this time of year.

• Options

Ah, double x-post...typical for others to beat me with the inuendos on the foam roller image

• Options

yip - exactly the responses i was expecting! haha  *blush*