Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    Just quickly popping on to wish everyone a happy new year, hope you all have a fantastic night. Good luck to you all in 2013!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Team! Now the hard work starts.
  • Options

Happy New Year.  Quiet on here today, all out running or a few sore heads?

Stayed in last night, managed a bottle of red but not feeling too bad.  Anyone see Hootenany with Adam Ant and Dexys -  memories of the eighties. Plan started yesterday with 4 slow and off out in a bit for the same with some strides.  Nice gentle first week, weather looks decent for a change.

• Options

Barry - Yes I watched it, great 80's acts. I'm glad you didn't have memories of Petula Clark, otherwise you would be really oldimage.

• Options
    Afternoon team!

Just back from a very refreshing sea swim! Didn't bother with the wetsuit as I thought I was just going to plop in and jump out but found it reasonable enough to swim out the bouy and back, about 100 - 150 meter swim

A great way to clear out the cobwebs / hangover

Gentle trot later
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    You're mad Zuvai!

I'm just back from a 3 mile uphill fell race, then jog back down.

Dog walk now then back to bed!
  • Options
    Minni- how did it go?

MrZ- sounds like a nice way to kick off the yearimage
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It went well Brolish and I'm really pleased I made the effort to go. It's not the kind of thing you can measures against any other race except for the effort level perhaps. Starts in the town the goes into the fells and its up, up, up. Was chatting to a non runner when the start bell went so started right at the back but picked people off and felt quite good. It was impossible to know position but I felt pleased with the way I ran, especially after partying last night.
  • Options

Morning all,

Zuvai that is just plain crazy!

Minni awesome running from you after partying last night.

finally able to face the world after a bacon sarnie, epic hangover after an awsome ny's party at a Walkabout pub in London, only downer missed the fireworks as the police had shut the roads off!

Here's to everyone fulfilling their running dreams and an injury free pb filled 2013 image

• Options

Mr Z and Minni mad ways to start the year. I managed 15mile in an hour on my bike this morning, first nice weather in a while so really nice to be out and about.

Hope everyone's hangovers clear well.

Just noticed that I've done 7 straight days of training, only about an hour a day and moderate heart rate, I don't feel tired. May have to fit in a rest day but not tomorrow I want to get back in the pool.

Good luck with Jantastic everyone.

• Options

Mr Z / Minni - nice starts to the year image

I ran 7 miles easy off road. Muddy out there. Lovely blue sky. Now to see the fireworks image

• Options
    Minni- good effort and what a great way to kick off the new yearimage

10m for me in the sun (forgot what it feels like). No major hangover to report.

Look forward to what this year bringsimage
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes lovely to see a bit if sun today. Looks like most are straight back out there after the NY celebrations. Looking good for Jantastic. And I see we're now up to a large team with the edition of BK on the end. But who is BK...? Identify yourself!

Turns out I won a prize today. image
  • Options
    Whoop whoop Minni! Tell us more!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Don't know what it was for Bro. I went straight home after the race instead of going to the pub because I knew I was living on borrowed time and the hangover was waiting to kick in! But a fell running friend messaged me and said he'd drunk my prize so I guess it was beer! I definitely wasn't in the top 3 finishers because there were some fast fell types there so it must have been an 'old bird' one!
  • Options

Happy New Year everyone! image Hope you all had a good night.

Mr Z & Minni, crazy ways to start the new year! What's the prize Minni?

Well done everyone else who got out for a run today. I'm at work, feeling pretty rough and it's not even self-inflicted! (well, not alcohol-inflicted anyway). Seems like a very busy day yesterday including a 15-miler that felt awful and gigging till the early hours was a bit too much for someone still not feeling 100pc! A month ago I was planning to race a 10k today and was confident I'd smash my PB but that went out of the window a while back image With my groin still playing up too I know I should probably take a little rest and get back to full health/fitness but with having already missed so much training in the past month it's hard to, as I'm sure you all understand!

On the plus side, the gig went great last night and was nice to get paid for having an enjoyable new year's eve image. And apart from the last month I can look back on a good year's running with my main three targets cracked - sub-1:30, sub-40 and sub-19 image.

• Options

Well done Minni image

Spoons, Bro and anyone else that ran today...hats off image

Mr Z - barking! I did that about 13 years ago on New Years Day in Cornwall. Bloody freezing.

Daren - you had a great 2012 running and well deserved.

Bed at 4am for me and up at 7. So day 2 of marathon training is another big fat zero.image Starting to drop off in my chair now so an early night required. image 

• Options

happy new year all....

just back from another gentle 4 miler on my road to redemption but decided to use my HRM for the first time ever ....i'm not sure if this is normal or just a sign of how much fitness i have lost but i was around 175-182 bpm and was only doing 8:58minute miles imageimage

it also took me about 8minutes for the HR to dip back below 100 ....i have never measured my HR before so i'm unsure what to make of it !!! The online calculations would suggest this is about my MAX HR but it didnt feel that tough ???

I will keep an eye on this but any advice would be good !

• Options

Glyn - Daren is the HRM guru, after doing lots of HADD training during the summer. You may have a higher than normal HR anyway, which isn't uncommon, I do also, so don't worry about it. Using the online calcs I'm running beyond 100%, so I should self distruct at any timeimage

• Options

Happy New Year Everyone

Freemers- Hope you feel better today ref your long run, as you say at least you bagged 18miles.

DD- How long have you been keeping a tally on your running miles? I have only kept this years total which is 1,932miles, I'm going to aim for 2.013 next yearimage

Bro- I'm impressed with your weekly mileage, I panic at the thought of going over 55-60miles per week.

Spoons- Well done on your 10k, hope your man flu is on its way out.

Zuvai- Have you warmed up yet from your swim today? Brrrr

Minni- Congrats on your prize, sounds like you had a great race.

Daren- well done for getting your three targets this year, what were your PB'S for the distances?

My target for the next 6 months is to concentrate on getting my pb's down on the 10k and half marathon distance whilst keeping my mileage quite high,well high for me(40miles per week) then marathon training will resume and I will get a sub 3:15 marathon at Abingdonimage  That's my aim at the moment.

• Options

Evening all. Sounds like celebrations were had by all last night, congratulations to all those that raced today aswell. I really dont think I could have managed a race first thing. Didnt go to bed until gone 3 so I didnt wake until 10am today! Managed to do my first training session today towards VLM. I only did 8.45 miles which consisted of 3.2 miles warm up and 5x100m strides, ave 8:12 min/mls, 3 miles at 7:13min/mls (with 60 sec recoveries between miles) and then a 2.25 mile cool down at 8:19 min/mls. Enjoyed getting some fresh air and blowing of the cobwebs!

DD thats fabulous milage, I wish I had kept a diary of all mine now. image

Hi Freemers, thankyou. 18 miles is still really good, wish I was at that level already. image

FRC how did the marathon go?

AA my marathon training started yesterday with a rest day too!

O4S How did your race go today, did you manage to still run with your illness? Hope you feel better soon

Spoons glad to hear that you managed to get out today for a run despite the cold.

Zuvai two words...your mad!

Minni congratulations on your race and for winning a prize image

ST congrats on getting out on your bike.

Glyn ive never had my HR monitor out of its packet...it looks far to complicated!image

Gazelle fantastic milage...im going to have to log all my runs now

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Daren - just keep the running slow for a bit till the niggles clear?  Loved the clip of your band btw. image

Glyn - yes ask Daren about HR, he's the expert. 

Great endurance partying AA.

Nice sesh Sarah.

Simon - how are your niggles?

• Options

Thanks Minni, glad you liked the clip image Not sure our touring will ever reach the north-east though I'm afraid! North-east Norfolk is about our limit!

Glyn, presuming your HRM is working ok, that does sound like a very high heart rate for that pace, even taking into account that you might have a high Max HR (the formulas aren't remotely accurate so I'd just ignore those and try to test your max HR properly - running a few 800m reps with short rest intervals will usually get a close enough figure). But then you have been off running for a while, so your aerobic base probably needs some work - the fact that your HR took so long to recover afterwards would suggest that too. If I were you I wouldn't worry about HR too much until you get your fitness back and just run at what feels like an easy pace until you're properly back into it.

• Options

thanks darenF i aprreciate your feedback ...the weird thing is that was a relatively easy pace in terms of how it felt ( nowhere near a 10k pace for example which the HR readings suggest ) ..just the HR readings seemed very high..

I think I will just keep going for 1 month and see if it starts to reduce at the same sort of pace per mile i'm currently doing...like you said it may be best to give me a couple of months before doing 800m repeats to work out my max HR as i'm obviously a mile away from being in shape right now so all my readings will not reflect my true ability/capacity once i'm broken back in.

i wish i'd have used the HR monitor whilst i was in shape though out of curiosity, my gut instinct is that my HR is higher than normal like Simon suggests but i dont have any reference at the moment   !! it is interesting though...

• Options

On another note my garmin 410 is definately on the way out and to keep the motivations up I think a bit of retail therapy may be just the tonic i need image..so can anyone suggest which Garmin to get ...the 610 or 910.

I know the 910 is designed to be cross purpose with swimming and cycling which i wont use but it does have a longer battery life and also seems nice and big to read easily.

i was always frustrated by the touch bezel on the 405....what are you guys using

• Options
    Glyn - Any chance of saving your 405, with a soft or hard reset, like Carot managed, or do you just fancy buying a new one anyway?

I've got a 410, which is said to have solved the bezel probs with the 405. But I found the 205/305 easier to use IMHO. But those 610/910's do look nice!

Minni - I'm still resting the heal, but will give it a try on Friday, fingers crossed.

Well done on your race btw.
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Happy 2013 everyone, hope you all had a great Hogmanay!

Back online after a great couple of days on the mtb in north wales and a track session yesterday at manchester velodrome.  My first time on a velodrome and on a fixie, utterly terrifying at first but after getting used to it got a good 45 mins tempo riding in with a few sprint bursts before the GB team came on for a training session to show us how its properly done!  Cant wait to have a chance to do that again.  

2012 was a rubbish running year for me, but a great one at work.  Heres hoping the comeback continues and the pbs start to flow again before the end of the year!

Nice racing over the last few days!  

Glyn - I'd expect your HR to be on the high side after coming back from a while off - 180 sounds very high.  Do you know what you would expect it to be when fit for given efforts?  Suggest you run to perceived effort rather than pace while you get your fitness back.

• Options

Hmmm, could be that the readings are wrong, or that you have an exceptionally high max-HR, although even if your max was over 200 that would still be a high rate for an easy run. My max is 196 (formulas would have me at 183) and I run my easy runs at 140-150bpm - 180bpm is about half marathon pace for me.

I think you could also be struggling with the definition of easy as most runners would think it before they start HR training, compared with true HADD easy pace which feels almost effortless. For example, you said it felt fairly easy, nowhere near 10k pace, yet there is an absolute world of difference between easy and 10k pace. Before I started HADD I would have described runs that I now know are around 160-170bpm as relatively easy.

Also, even though you haven't run for ages, you were still running at around 9mm, which is not much slower than I run easy runs at now, and I'm currently in about 1:30 HM shape I reckon. Basically I guess what I'm saying is that even though it felt relatively easy, it wasn't truly easy in a technical sense.

Having said all that, I still think you're on the right lines with what you plan to do - run by feel for the time being and watch that HR come down as your general fitness improves (which it definitely will) - to slow down too much to hit your easy HR targets at this stage could be demotivating.

Hope that helps!

• Options

than Darren yes i'm just curious to know what my HR was 9 momths ago now !!

i just checked again and the garmin is saying 171avg bpm and 8:57avg pace for the session....you could well be right though i have simply never run slower than 9min per mile ever and maybe as you suggest if i went on HR training it would have me running at 10:30 pace which i'm not sure i'm capable of doing it just feels un-natural  ( even now !!! )....i think i will keep it between 9and 9:30 and see if this avg HR comes down. i dont want to risk blowing out some intervals at this stage to test my max rates as i want to try and bag some steady miles risk free...

i started throwing in some intervals 4wks prior to the GNR 2011 and found them really beneficial but i'd built some strength into my legs at that point...i know from history that fast sessions can lead to injury for me.

i'll keep you updated with my freaky heart recordings !!

• Options

also out of interest can you increase your max heart rate or is that fairly static regardless of fitness ??

does your fitness simply enable you to operate for longer closer to that max pace and also recover quicker ?