Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

What is going on?image

First Mo, than Johnny... Gonna have to have a word with EA with regards to them adopting the Team Minni DBS mantra before all future races!image

• Options

O4S : not shit at all

kfc: your on fire at the mo, nice race

trotted 11 miles at 8-45 min/miles AM, 8 mile sponsored walk with kids in the pouring rain this afternoon.

• Options

ohh, no GNR reports yet, caught the end of the elite women + men's races before heading out to lunch, i too was shouting at the tv, did look like Mo was going to catch him, but not quite!

O4S - how the hell do you do it?! that is an awesome run, well done!

kfc - you are smoking at the moment, congrats on the 2nd lady placing, nice one!!

• Options

Bristol HM report:

I was allocated a first wave start (faster runners) while BA got the second wave - which given I had predicted the same finish time for both of us was a tad annoying. I was allowed to wait 30 minutes but he couldn't go early, so somehow he managed to persuade me to wait and start with him as hanging around in the wet at the finish wouldn't be great. This was a bit frustrating as all the people I would normally run with set off at 9.30. The upside was that I was right at the front of the 10.00am start so wasn't really held up and I didn't get dragged along too fast by other club members.

First half is an out and back on a dual carriageway so the running is clear and although there was a bit of a headwind on the return bit I managed to hit nearly 8mm exactly to the half way point - the only clock on route and I was without garmin or watch. The second half of the race is hillier and very twisty as it winds through the centre of Bristol and by now my legs were feeling the full effect of the cycling holiday

• Options

O4S -  Good racing from you and BA, well done.

kfc -  Impressive racing, that's a great time on a hard course. congrats on the podium place.

• Options

Gritting my teeth and trying to ignore the growing blood blister underneath tThe ball of my foot and the inevitable loss of a toenail which had ( pointlessly) decided to regrow while we were cycling, I carried on knowing that my speed was dropping off but unable to care very much. However I was spurred on by the fact that I was overtaking the slower runners off the first wave although it was infuriating to keep seeing the finish and then be diverted off for another strange loop to arrive back about 2 feet from where you had started - the sort of time when knowing the city well is a distinct disadvantage!  Finally they ran out of diversions and suddenly the finish was genuinely in sight. Not exactly a sprint but by now I was hoping to nudge under 1.50 so shambled a little faster to cross the line in just under 1.48.  Second LV 60 but the prize list stops at LV55 image the winner was an ex-international and obviously I didn't want to upset her by beating her! (She was first W60 at VLM)

Even BA is quite pleased and I think with another easy week we should be ready to get back to proper training - just maybe not tomorrow image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Apologies for the very quick check in.  Just got back and have people coming for dinner in an hour! image

Good day at the office 1:31:21.  Very pleased with this pb.  I had no idea what to expect and really ran to feel.  image

Carrot hasn't checked in yet?   All I can say is she had a lush plait, kind of to the side, which put my two plaits to shame.  I got a very good view of it for all of about 10 seconds. image

• Options

Congratulations to you too Daren on the YKW image

Nice one KFC & well done on 2nd lady placing.

Old4speed Well done, great time & congrats to BA also

Minni Brilliant time congratulations image managed to watch most of GNR on TV

• Options

Minni: top stuff

Carrot; even more so

• Options

Nice racing and placing at your HM kfc, sounds like those fell races are paying off with your fast downhill running? Can't go wrong with a tacky trophy image

O4S you've done brilliant, you weren't even going to run today! Catching up those runner who had a 30 minute head start must have been a real boost.

Well done on your new PB Minni, top stuff and no more 1:32!! I couldn't do two plaits today as I need my roots doing... the side plait seems to mask it more! Rain and wind + ponytail = roadkill hair.

I managed a PB too, an unexpected 1:29:17 official result. Happy is an understatement! image Parsnip ran 1:19:XX image

• Options

Whoop, whoop, more awesome running, well done Minni + Carrot!!!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- superb... Bling --- You were robbed!

KFC- fast tough HM...great result

Minni- another PB- brilliant

Carrot- awesome sub90. 

• Options

a-ma-zing day in the office guys!

very very happy you all had Top races image

• Options

Minni/Carrot -  Well done to you both, decent weather conditionsimage and you both run PB's, congrats.  Congrats to Parsnip - very quick.

• Options

Just popping in for a quick break from my interview prep tomorrow...

What a day! Cracking trio of PB's to Carrot, Minni & KFC. Some seriously quick times there, well done to you all and cracking 90 Carrot, that's fantastic!

My day's racing was more in tune with yours O4S. No real running training, knowing by half-way I was in for pain, and also having prior knowledge that we were detouring massively away from the finish for a 3M loop of a cold, windswept and nightmarish lap of the racecourse. I can confirm that staying up the hill at Cheltenham is indeed for thoroughbreds, of which I am not one (equine or otherwise)!

Anyway, I did it in 1.43.xx which given my hip started to hurt after 0.5M I was pretty happy with. Will post a report once tomorrow is out of the way... 

• Options

Minni/Carrot - SUPERB NEW PB'S.imageimage The weather looked grim so those times are even more fantastic! image

O4S - I really do not know how you do it? image

• Options

GNR Race report:

After the result at Fleetwood HM a few weeks ago I was looking forward to having another go at what is my favourite distance to race.  Had a good run at the 10K last week and was aiming for a PB (sub-1:32), and to maintain slightly under 7mm for the whole race.  Or 1:31:XX.  Checked the forecast earlier this week - heavy rain and strong winds - and wondered if there was any point in scaling back the training this week.  So I didn't.  I regretted that this morning when I woke up and the old 'back of the knee' niggle was back with a vengeance.  A bit of massage, some stretches and some ibuprofen gel and it was still not happy.

Got to Newcastle and saw Minni just as we were heading off around the town moor for a warm up.  2 mile warm up and could still feel the niggle.  Wind direction was good - probably going to be behind us for much of the race. Managed to get into a decent enough position in our pen - took about a minute to cross the start line.  The usual GNR start of overtaking hundreds of people.  Niggle felt fine, not gone, but no worse.  Had autolap on and was just glancing at my average pace every so often.  By the time I got to 3 miles it was on 7:00 dead.  Pushed a bit to get it down to 6:58.  Still passing loads of people, which is nice as you can reel them in.  Got to 4 miles and I was feeling good.  I decided to go for it, pick up the pace, catch up a few more people. 

I had a gel just before 6 miles and a quick swig of water.  I passed 10K at just over 42 minutes. I think if I hadn't have PBed last week in the 10K I would have panicked a bit going through 10K in that time.  But I felt good.  The halfway point is marked and I glanced at the watch.  45:00.  This was the point when I realised that I could get under 1:30 if I just pressed on a bit.  7 miles, 8 miles, 9 miles.  All going well.  I played mind tricks with myself - at 8 miles I told myself I only had 4 miles left, as the last mile is a fast one along the seafront so it doesn't count.  Passed the boost zone and the man on the mike tells us we're at 10 miles, so just a parkrun left and I'm done.  Saw Minni up ahead and had a quick chat, she was looking very strong.  GNR is undulating and on of the longer ones is from about 10.5 miles to just after 11.  Average pace was now on 6:48.  Get to the top and make sure that's still the case.  There's a sharp downhill just before 12 miles, rather than slam the anchors on I leant forward and tried to stride out a bit.  Flew down the hill! Then it was just the final mile.  It inevitably went on forever.  I knew at 12 miles as long as I was on 1:22:30 I could do it.  I was under that at 12 miles.  Then there's a sign for 20K, 800m to go, 400m to go and 200m to go.  I was checking my watch at every one like a woman obsessed, calculating how long I had to get to the finish. I finally believed that I was going to do it at the 200m to go sign.  I was grinning like a nutcase as I crossed that finish line.  Job done! image

Back of the knee feels no worse than this morning.  Rest day tomorrow!

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

AWESOME!!!  2 great PBs and another brilliant sub 90.  Great work ladies.  image    Super speedy from parsnip too.  I wonder if should switch the pony tail to go faster pigtails... 

Glad you got round OK redwood - looking forward to the report

O4S - not bad on post bike tour heavy legs, I always feel like a sluggish diesel engine  after a tour for a good week!

• Options

Minni/Carot - Well done with your Pb's at GNR, in what looked like pretty crappy weather, or did you have a tailwind all the way?image 

KFC/O4S/BA/Red - great racing too, with some bling.

Still just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the op on Tuesday, and trying to avoid eating too much.image

• Options

Carrot: Wow, just Wow!!

Minni: great PB, that sub 1.30 is just around the corner

KFC: sounds like an interesting course, congrats on the bling - did it go up Firle Beacon?

Redders: good run, would you recommend Cheltenham half? 3 local HMs on today - how daft is that?

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

O4S - yep, big loop from firle place round to alfriston, up onto the ridge, to the beacon and back down again to the big hoose.  Stunning route.

Carrot - fab report, so happy for you.  You've been closing in on that for a while, great to see you get it in style.

• Options

Carrot - brilliant report & what a fantastic time - congratulations image& to Parsnip too.

Redwood - congratulations to you also

Simon62w - Good luck for the op tomorrow

• Options

Brilliant racing yesterday and Saturday image

Daren / pinklady - great YKW's.  Pinklady - you will be taking big chunks off that time if you keep at it! And Daren - I love the way you sound a bit disappointed with 19.30!!

kfc - great racing - excellent time on that course, and brilliant to get the podium spot image

O4S - What can I say?! Amazing result image

Carrot - blimmin fantastic effort. So pleased you got the sub 90, and for Parsnip's sub 80 image

Minni - brilliant from you too - fantastic new PB, and getting closer to the 90.  And I saw you on the telly!! Jonathan Edwards was doing an interview with Mo, Bekele and Heile, and they were standing shortly after the finish, so all the finishers were walking through in the background.  Right at the end of the interview there you were!!  I looked at the time so knew you must have had a good race image

14.5 miles for me yesterday, with the final 3 in 7.30's just for the hell of it image.  I'm on a course for three days this week, so will be confined to the hotel treadmill....just hope it's a decent one. 

• Options

great Reports there carrot and O4S image

redders, still a respektable time.

guys, i have bad news  image

day 1 of by Boston campaign finds me flat on my back, unable to move. hopefully just Lumbago but it could be a slipped disc. Got some painkillers and an injection and hope for the best.

anyone on here any experience with back problems?

• Options

Wow what a great weekend of racing again. 

Carrot - sub 90 - wicked. I am sort of hoping to do that in November. You must be really well set up for Amsterdam now - what is your target?

Minni - nice one on the PB, how is the calf holding up? Did you have a chat with Mo at the start?

O4S - nice one, cycling up the pyrenees on a steel bike with panniers must have have done some goodimage

Red - how odd going round the racecourse, no fences I presume - did you feel equine at that point!

kfc - yes that is exactly how the tri relay will work. Should be a laugh - we have something like eight teams from my club - so a bit of competition at work there

chick - sorry to hear about your back, but better now than closer to Boston at least

I kept up the other end of the Team Minni equation this weekend by going out and getting completedly caned on Friday and Saturday nights. Sill managed to fit in a 10 miler, some cycling intervals and a swim tho. Sensible week this week though in advance more racing.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Red-nice HM after all youve been through and by no means an easy course

Free- good solid run

Simon-hope all goes well tomorrow.;  Im in Southport Hospital seeing my physio then

Chick-bit of a worry about your back-some strong painkillers will help

Not run since Thursday and my right achilles has got progressively worse .Im getting fed up limping image. Just not sure how to play this-total rest-light active rest-swim/bike-light active rest easy runs-try run through it-amputate? Physio will say do heel drop exercises on stairs and not much else. Dont see consultant until early Nov.Fitness disappearing ...fatness appearing

• Options

2old - So you'll be in my hospital whilst I'm in yours lol.

Chick - Sorry to hear about your back, hope it's nothing major.

Pinklady - Nice ykw btw. Re your earlier post about tv box sets to watch. The only one I've got is 'Millenium’ which is really good, this is what it's about......The series takes place during the years leading up to 2000, and follows the investigations of ex-FBI agent Frank Black (Lance Henriksen), a law enforcement consultant with the ability to see inside the mind of criminals, working for a mysterious organization known as the Millennium Group. It's also created by Chris Carter, who also created The X files. When I've finished that, and I'm really going mad, I can watch my girlfriends box set of Audrey Hepburn films, but hopefully she will put me down before thenimage.

• Options

Brilliant weekend everyone well done. image image

• Options

2old - We can start Fat camp, for us 'bloaters' after months of inactivityimage.

• Options

i may join you in fat camp  image

i can't move but i can eat

and i eat loads when I'm bored & frustrated