Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    I saw that in the Metro this morning. Somehow, I'm not surprised...
  • Options
    sounds like an easy job to me!! image
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Go for it Alan!

Just off to see Mary Massage Lady to get her to poke around in my knee. If you hear loud screams, don't worry it's just 'cos she's stuck her boney, pointy fingers into a sore bit image

LB, so you have a nut allergy? What a bummer.

I'll check out those training schedules later.
  • Options
    Redhead what is your Brighton number so I can track you?
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    OMG, I am so lucky to have Mary to treat me. She is a real gem. She got straight to the root of the problem (tilted pelvis, tight hip flexors/quads and tight something else coming off the sticky out bone thing in that region). It hurt like mad but she's really loosened things up and the pain has eased dramatically. No running today but I can do a short and gentle plod tomorrow, which I need for my sanity image

Russell, it's 8914 and you'll have finished hours before me. If I don't get to meet up with you beforehand I hope you have a fantastic race and achieve your goal.

I've now passed through the 'I'm never going to make it round one marathon let alone 2 phase' (only temporarily I hasten to add as it will no doubt return as the week progresses) and have entered the 'getting over-emotional about the slightest thing' phase image
  • Options
    Redhead wrote (see)
     I've now passed through the 'I'm never going to make it round one marathon let alone 2 phase' (only temporarily I hasten to add as it will no doubt return as the week progresses) and have entered the 'getting over-emotional about the slightest thing' phase image
    image Oh, tell me about it Redhead! I'm also suffering with a complete lack of ability to get my things, or myself, organised for the marathon at the moment. So far I've managed to print off someone else's registration documents, forget to organise insurance, lose my flight documents (so I can't remember if I pre-paid for luggage or thought I'd manage with hand luggage alone).... we fly out in three and a half days, I really need to pull my finger out!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Ooooooh Frodo, are you doing Paris then?
  • Options
    Supposedly  *wibble*   Really I'm only in it for the wine at the refreshment stops image
  • Options
    ankle a bit better today, i hope to do a slow 5 this evening.
  • Options
    bigsmile06 wrote (see)

Redhead and Cake thanks for the advice about Abingdon definitely doing Liverpool now and  cant wait.

Happy running everyoneimage

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

A snickers bar could kill me!

You all want me dead....image

Alan especially. He keeps filling my goody bags with piggin' nut products!

imageimage
  • Options
    This is going to be my first marathon and I've been looking for other races to do in prep for the big one. I've looked at the events and thought maybe there would be some small local races not on there. Can anyone recommend any good events in the Liverpool area? I'd like to do a couple more half's so got my eye on the Warrington one and would have done the tunnel 10k but I'm probably going away that week, I feel like I've got unfinished business with that 10k.
  • Options
    Stillwaters wrote (see)
    Hey could be a job for you Alan! http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/apr/04/london-2012-olympic-marathon Bedford's quit as Marathon Manager!

I'm sure I read that his son was lined up to take over from him. Maybe if Alan got the job we'd all get in to VLM and be sure of a Spring and Autumn marathon.

LB, best steer clear of me and Hughesy after a race, we have a traditional Snickers bar after every race. 

• Options
    sibyrne2000 wrote (see)
    This is going to be my first marathon and I've been looking for other races to do in prep for the big one. I've looked at the events and thought maybe there would be some small local races not on there. Can anyone recommend any good events in the Liverpool area? I'd like to do a couple more half's so got my eye on the Warrington one and would have done the tunnel 10k but I'm probably going away that week, I feel like I've got unfinished business with that 10k.
    You might find it useful to do a half 3 to 6 weeks before to as part of your training. I'm from the other side of the hills so don't know to well whats about but there is one in Nottingham and also Fleetwood has had it's half marathon the second weekend in sept the last few years I think? Others on here will know better than me. You might struggle to find a race in the liverpool area.
  • Options
    Sibyrne - dont forget the Princes Park parkrun - every Saturday !
  • Options
    STUBLACK wrote (see)
    Stillwaters wrote (see)
    Hey could be a job for you Alan! http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/apr/04/london-2012-olympic-marathon Bedford's quit as Marathon Manager!

I'm sure I read that his son was lined up to take over from him. Maybe if Alan got the job we'd all get in to VLM and be sure of a Spring and Autumn marathon.

LB, best steer clear of me and Hughesy after a race, we have a traditional Snickers bar after every race. 

Should have read this properly before posting, his son is taking ove rthe VLM not the Olympic marathon. That'll teach me not to skive in work
  • Options
    Sibyrne. Check this website out for some local races I've just found. I'm going to do the Croxteth Park one seen as I can walk to that one.
    http://www.legendevents.org.uk
  • Options
    Cheers guys

Cake If I did one 3 weeks before would it be best to race it or do marathon pace as practice?

Cougie I'm hoping to do the Prince Park parkrun soon but on nights Friday so it won't be this week. Have you done it?

St Domingo just had a look at that site, never been to croxteth park but I might be on holiday that week. I think my friends have already asked me to do that delamere 10k but depends on my shifts in work.
  • Options
    I think you will find it is Hugh Brasher (son of Chris Brasher) who is taking over the London Marathon from 2013. I understand Dave is stepping down after 11 years in charge. He has resigned from the Olympic Marathon Committee although LMC will still deliver the Olympic Marathon.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning peeps,

Glorious here and I shall be testing my knee with a short, gentle plod later. Fingers and paws crossed it's OK image

Russell & Frodo, only 4 more sleeps until our respective marathons. OMG!!! image
  • Options
    sibyrne2000 wrote (see)
    Cheers guys Cake If I did one 3 weeks before would it be best to race it or do marathon pace as practice? Cougie I'm hoping to do the Prince Park parkrun soon but on nights Friday so it won't be this week. Have you done it? St Domingo just had a look at that site, never been to croxteth park but I might be on holiday that week. I think my friends have already asked me to do that delamere 10k but depends on my shifts in work.
    There is more than one right way to do this depending on the person so pick and chose what you want to do and don't take anything as gosple. I would do it at race/marathon pace so that if you have any problems you can work them out. Your going to find that you might develupe only one pace the more you train for a marathon and your pace will inprove natrally with miles and training. You might surprise yourself at how much you inprove once you get some long runs in.  If you do a half or 10k in the build up treat it as a bit of a laugh through and incorpoate it into your training instead of tappering and taking it to seriously.image Err personally i find it hard to take anything seroiusly.image
  • Options
    Redhead wrote (see)
     Russell & Frodo, only 4 more sleeps until our respective marathons. OMG!!! image

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Ran to work today with extra layers to try and simulate the heat forecast for Sunday. It was bliddy awful! Stupid idea. And I've got the return leg to look forward to this afternoon!

• Options

image Are you going to taper young'un?

• Options

Nah, not especially  - not done enough running to justify it image

And I won't be running hard in Paris; I've given up on any hope of getting near or under PB form, so I'm out for the potter.

• Options

Frodo, paris is nice marathon. did it in 2009

• Options

Ok we (me and the Wife) are entered into our first Marathon looking forward to October 9th image

Any advice on the course i hope its all downhill and we pass plenty of pubs,aiming for a finishing time of 5-24 hours image

Also just found out the reason we all do this running lark is to be more attractive to the opposite sex nothing more sexy than me in my lycra leggings sweat pouring down my face (red face by the way image) with bad body oduor go on admit ...its for the glamourous lifestyle ...image

Walks off for a lie down...image

• Options
    sibyrne2000 wrote (see)

Well done on taking the plunge into the Marathon!

Warrington half is a great event, although the rain last year made it really interesting! (it use to be in october) lets just hope it doesnt rain for the marathon image

I am the chairman of Liverpool running BUGS! and also the race director for Legend events, our series of running events "BUG RUNS" currently consists of five runs, the week before the actual marathon we are holding a Speke hall 10k on the 2nd October (entry will be open next week) all of our 10k events are chip timed, and we have invested in bespoke medals etc. www.bugruns.org.uk 

And obviously the day before the marathon why not stretch your legs with either parkrun or even Runliverpools fab four miler!

Couple of other local events to look at Sefton park 5 miler and Penny lane striders 10k.

Call into one of the running shops and pick up a free copy of northern running guide it has a good list of events in it.

Are you a member of a club? have a look at our club www.liverpoolbugs.co.uk 

Mark

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Warkie, I knew I'd manage to hypnotise you into entering but I didn't realise my powers would stretch to your wife as well! Well done to both of you for taking the plunge.

Well my naughty knee grumbled for the first 10 minutes of my plod but I ignored it so it started to behave eventually. Here's hoping it will behave itself on the day image

Here's an extract of an exchange between my long-suffering husband and me earlier today:

Me: "I'm getting nervous about Brighton now."

Hubby: Rolls eyes skyward. "You'll be fine. Just enjoy yourself, you always do."

Me: "I don't know if I'm up to it."

Hubby: "You've already run 20 marathons and you've trained really hard."

Me: "But I'm still worried I can't do it 'cos I'm rubbish"

Hubby: "Right then. We'll contact all the people who've sponsored you over the past 6 years to say that you can't run any more because you're rubbish and we'll take out a loan to repay all the money they've donated shall we?"

He knows just how to deal with me at taper time image
  • Options

Don`t forget the Walton park 5 mile race on 17th May, Liverpool rc`s own race but all are welcome and you get a nice Liverpool rc towel.

Also this Sunday, theres a 10k race in Croxteth park

Good luck to the marathon people this weekendimage

i been at Gullivers world all day with the kids, i`m shattered and don`t feel like running this eveningimage

• Options
    Jakesy - if we've got any Goody Bags left from the Women's 10K I'll be at the Walton Park 5K on 17th. I think I turned up there last year?
  • Options

image Redhead best thing for taper madness is a good boxset of something interesting on DVD. image

Frodo if you injure yourself between now and sunday you will be really fed up take it easy or I will have to stand outside your house and shout BOO!!!!!!!!