Options

M Dot tattoo when done Outlaw

Comments

• Options
    Kittenkat ha ha,P my one I had lasered off was done by the old original Doc Price in 1976 when i was 16 and p!ssed some things never changeimage his son has been running it for a few years now
  • Options
    There are a few tatooists in Plymouth  so its a wonder they are still in business especially with the defence cuts drying up their supply of p!ssed up impressionable young matelots imageimage
  • Options
    FF - i could get a donut tattooed on my belly; plenty of them have gone in there over the years image
  • Options
    That tattoo guide map is f*%cking excellent image
  • Options

Nice tat Iron Rose, kudos for getting something different

nice lines - the ink and the tan image

and re Doc Price - I have some of his designs from 1974 ish, gotta love old school stuff

• Options
    When I went to get my M. done I wandered into the local shop, and the young girl behind the counter looked at my design and went "So what was your time and where did you do it"...  Suppose having a massive Tri club in town does that
  • Options

I was absolutely posiitve I was going to get one done after IMCH in 2009. I contacted some of my club mates wh'd had it done and asked about their experience. While none of them had a bad experience in getting it done, one of the most experienced guys who has done IM races several suggested that I wait a month or two to see if I still really wanted it. He warned I'd spend half my time explaining what it was to people who still wouldn't get it and that I could always rock up in my finishers t-short to anywhere I wanted to "show off. So I waited and the very strong desire to get it faded. It was only in Regensburg this year that I thought it might have been nice to have it. I might still go there but haven't done it yet.

As for the original question, in my opinion, it's the distance that counts and to me someone who does Outlaw or Challenge event is just as "entitled" to an M dot tattoo as someone who does a branded event.

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Resurrecting this thread... DK where are you from?

I unfortunately belong to the (not so) young impressionable matelot group in Portsmouth but hope to get my IM tat this Summer (back of calf I think although I like the idea of back of shoulder). Living in Portsmouth means we probably have some less than reputable artists. I have seen some gash tats in my time! Bees on knees, a moustache on inside of forefinger to be held up to upper lip!
  • Options

Funny timing, there Toro - I cycled passed a tattoo shop at the end of my first bike ride of the year - very weary and cold. It made me think about Chrissie Wellington suggesting an M dot tat ahead of the event in order to motivate you more ... image

mmm ... not sure I could do that ... but after, yes, I would be proud, but perhaps I should wait a month or two first, like Orca says image

• Options
    I'm thinking of getting the I M dot . I've not done an ironman but I have thought about trying a tri and I do like the design. Is the any stipulation about the colour?
  • Options

Its your body  - you can do it whatever colour you want  image

• Options

As far as I'm concerned you should not get one until you've sucessfully completed the course at the Kona World Champs, and you've got there by qualifying. (no lottery or legacy places)

• Options

Marshallini ... if you get that far you can have a special one  image

• Options
    Cupcake. wrote (see)

Why?

140.6 miles is 140.6 miles wether it be Challenge, Outlaw, any other race or even M Dot, but Kona is Ironman. That's just my opinion and I wouldn't get the tattoo even if I did do Kona.

• Options

Isn't it all a bit silly - it's a design - if you you think your body would look better with it on or it has some kind of meaning for you and that makes you want it as a tattoo then get it done - if not don't.   

• Options

Fair enough.

Can see why the completion of that distance at any race by a 'non-athlete member of the public' such as a lot of finishers on here would be celebrated though in the form of a bit of ink though.

• Options

Thought I would get one after doing the distance. To be honest I felt pleased I'd done it... but it wasn't that hard that I needed it permanently on my skin. Have to say I think I agree with Marshallini.

• Options

I once read a very amusing and scathing piece/post/something somewhere that talked about the relationship between the length of time taken to complete said IM distance event and the likelihood of a getting the M dot tattoo.  The proposition was that the longer it takes you to do one, the more likely you are to get the tattoo.

I laughed.

(And it takes me fecking ages before anyone gets snooty with me being elitist.)

• Options

In that case I think I deserve two tattoos   image

• Options

i think thats the point Mouse, for some people completing that kind of distance was once a dream and when they actually do it they feel that they have acheived something, and indeed they have, but for others it might have came a bit easier and so they may feel that its not worthy of having a permanent place on their skin. To each their own i guess. Just for the record, most of you know i am a tattooist and i have completed an iron distance but .... i havent got an IM tattoo or an outlaw equivalent. i may get a parkrun logo one done for irony though - if i ever do oneimage but then again i have the ability to cover it over when i get bored of it. 

and toro im miles away from portsmouth

• Options

I really want one but after nearly 4 years I'm still unsure what I want and i am still convinced it will go scabby and get infected and scar.........my skin seems to be crap at healing itself......I have had 4 lots of stitches and each time they have managed to become infected and come undone and scar......

one day when i have decided I will come for a trip to visit you DKimage

• Options
    If you wanted one for 4 years and still haven't got one I won't hold breathe image
  • Options
    M..o.use wrote (see)

I once read a very amusing and scathing piece/post/something somewhere that talked about the relationship between the length of time taken to complete said IM distance event and the likelihood of a getting the M dot tattoo.  The proposition was that the longer it takes you to do one, the more likely you are to get the tattoo.

I laughed.

(And it takes me fecking ages before anyone gets snooty with me being elitist.)

I dont think thats the case, it true ive not seen many pro's with IM logo's but id say that there are just as many fast age groupers with them as slower people.

• Options

but was they fast when they got them?image

• Options
    I'm on the don't care side as well. I have an Mdot tat, plus others, all reflecting journeys in my life. But how many people actually see someone with a tat and ask them for their decision process in getting it.