Options

Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Options

its been said before but the fink swims are bloody quick, and quite enormous.

If you can get half done you are going well!image

I am 4 weeks into my Lanza 30 program, and missed the last 3/4 long bikes..... and 80% of the swimming.
    oops

oh well the running is going well!

The mantra for tomorrow is 'i will swim tomorrow night,  i will swim tomorrow night!'

JC - its all about frquency at the moment - just getting used to doing 1-22 things a day.  The volume will come image and then you cant hammer it as you will be toast!

• Options

Swim #33 done here, apart from the second drills image

I'm in Germany this week, and they don't appear to do lane swimming. Good practice for the very beginning of a swim leg though. Only got hit once. The pool must have been 7m deep too image

• Options
    Cycled pre dawn and it was cold well by Dubai standards (15C) off to find my armwarmers and tights. Will swim at lunchtime and there is advantage of Dubai.... outdoors!
  • Options
    O.rangeCannon... wrote (see)

its been said before but the fink swims are bloody quick, and quite enormous.

If you can get half done you are going well!image

+1.

Is it a problem that we're only managing 70-75% of the sessions?

How have peep's that have previously Fink'd got on on the day?

• Options
    Missed the swim this morning due to not getting out of bed. Still, it was an extra session so not alls lost. Bike at lunch, and then gig and beers tonight - suspect tomorow might not be pretty.
  • Options

I'm in Wk 3 of Fink - 2 weeks of padding as I know I'll be away with work in January and somethign else is bound to throw a spanner in the works. Adding extra biking this year as I reckon it's the main area available for improvement.

In Week 1, I missed my bike target and in Week 2 I missed the run target. However swimming looks safe this week as my two sessions are done but I know I won't be doing my optional 3rd session of Friday - Christmas night out with work on Thursday.

• Options
    Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Swim #33 done here, apart from the second drills image

I'm in Germany this week, and they don't appear to do lane swimming. Good practice for the very beginning of a swim leg though. Only got hit once. The pool must have been 7m deep too image

I swam in Germany for nearly a year a while back - makes for great OW practice having to duck/dive/get physical (with the old ladies I mean doing widths in stead of lengths) image

I don't think I will start my training until after xmas - just not mentally prepared to do this yet as I didnt decide until yesterday morning. Has anybody done the 24 week frey and huddle plan and have opinions on it?

• Options
    Last year I virutally never managed the full Fink swim sessions, simply didn't have time to go that far, still finished the swim faster than I expected in 1-22.
  • Options
    my advice....dont worry about the swim...its the easy bit...do the sessions if you can...if not just go swimming....get in the ow by end of april...then you'll not be bothered about the drills!!!!

• Options
    Shaun I am currently reading the Huddle/Frey book as I have used (looosley) the fink plan for 5 IMs and fancy a different proram to ring the changes It all looks pretty good stuff to me so far, I am just gonna do some base till the new year to get back up to a level to jump into the 24 week program
  • Options
    Up at daft o'clock this morning for a half hour run, cold, damp and windy...... Don't you just love it........ image
  • Options
    Bah! Front light ran out 10 minutes into my ride. Did the brick anyhow.
  • Options
    oh i LOVE the enthusiasm of a first IM.....out in the cold on the bike...30 min runs in the dark.....lunchtime swims.....did i do the full set tthis time.

ahhhhh....i remember that!!!

i'm off back to bed...see you all in March!!!
  • Options
    max the red nosed ridgeback wrote (see)
    Shaun I am currently reading the Huddle/Frey book as I have used (looosley) the fink plan for 5 IMs and fancy a different proram to ring the changes It all looks pretty good stuff to me so far, I am just gonna do some base till the new year to get back up to a level to jump into the 24 week program

Was thinking exactly the same, though I haven't read the book since signing up (last minute spur-of-the-moment thing and all that) but can kind of remember parts since reading a year ago..... am I right it still uses 4 week blocks that are split into 4 stages rather than 3?

Probably not the interest to start a 'Frey/Huddle for Outlaw 2012' thread then... just me and you RBM image

• Options
    Really didn't fancy it but managed to drag my tired self to late night tri club swim session. Really can't handle partying on school nights anymore!

We tried to do the Brownlee brother session from 220, but got nowhere near it. Lost track of what we'd done, but plenty of drills and must have been a mile, give or take a length or 2.

Now to try and get some kip before spinning early tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Dubai 1/2 Marathon today 1-36-21 a OKish sort of race, better start doing speed work again then.
  • Options

Gosh, i can only dream of such a time Dave. Great running!

Christmas night out last night, not too hungover but zero concentration on anything!

• Options
    Orca I was a 1-16 1/2M man 20 years ago! A minute a year lost then!
  • Options
    Don't say that Dave, I was hoping it would work the other way round (a minute faster each year)!

Desperately tried to break 1hr 40 this year for 1/2M, but could only manage a 1hr 41 in the end.
  • Options

Didnt manage anything on Wednesday as i had a poorly family to look after.

Got on the Turbo yeterday and had a steady 30 minute session followed by a 15min run, my first brick of the season.

Swim today for 30 minutes, i am disliking swimming a little less everytime i go.

Building back up again very slowly, a total of 1200m broken down to 1 x 400, 1 x 200, 4 x 100, 4 x 50

Hopefully a little less winding at the weekend so i will be able to enjoy the rutland hills.

Have a good weekend fellow Finkers

• Options

Good time DD.

I'm hoping to break 1:45 or 1:40 this year, but I'm not sure I can even be arsed to enter.

Just back in from Friday's 30 minute run. It almost makes it fun running that short. Did anyone notice the Intermediate swim #34 was 3km vs the 2.5km for theall the others in the base phase? I left out the second 8x50m DR to stay within the hour.

Let's see how tomorrow's bike pans out, what with this weekend's xmas shennaigans.

• Options
    Good time...hoping to break 2.30 on 2nd Jan!!! best eat some more Pies!!!!!
  • Options
    b*gger no chance of getting to the swimming pool for a session this week or next! Tis all work an no play...barhumbug.
  • Options
    image Tell me about it. Just leaving w**k now but got my 50 stamps bonus image
  • Options
    My first week , to put it bluntly , has been shite !! On day 5 now and only managed ( due to laziness ! ) a couple of the workouts !! I've had a word with myself and give myself a kick up the backside. , SO my question is do I A) start from scratch OR B) follow it by the book from tomorrow as in Saturday's workout ???
  • Options

I lost a whole week's training due to work committments and a niggly back injury, but I went out for an hours run tonight in the crisp air and bright moonlight.  If that's not enough to remotivate me then nothing is.

I'm going straight onto week two.  I don't think you'll suffer too much by loosing out on week one Jack, but I'm a virgin at this so don't take my word for it.

• Options
    Just crack on from wk 2

Afterall you have only missed 4 hhs....

If, on week 10, you have onlydone 4 hrs,then you are in trouble
  • Options
    OC is right ...

Dont worry now about missing sessions, you cant get them back

DO worry about getting in there and getting it done in the future, if you are struggling each week to get everything done then perhaps that particular training plan is not for you, devise one that does fit your lifestyle and one that you can achieve.   There will be nothing worse than getting to a Sunday each week and ending on a negative note having not done the sessions

Illness and injury happen, its a fact and apart from a good warm up/cool down there is not a lot can be done with injury and a good healthy diet will help with illness

Worry about what you can change and not about things that you cant,  if it is laziness and CBA that is stopping you getting out there now then you do need to give yourself a talking to cos it aint gonna get any easier     image

Enjoy the ride, 1st July is the prize.
  • Options
    The weather isn't helping to be fair, or Christmas parties etc. I only use Fink very loosely indeed, principally to ensure my long bike and long run are long enough (so if Fink says 1 hr I my long run needs to be 1 hour). If you have to miss sessions just ensure you get the main swim, bike and run session for that week in, the others are more fill.

My plan is two sessions in each sport each week. The swim will be one fairly poor lunchtime swim and one good club swim, the bike one commute to work (20 hilly miles each way) and long bike at the weekend, and the run one lunchtime run and one longer run before work Only throw a few bricks in as the event gets close.

But I don't really know what I am talking about so probably better to follow the plan!