Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Higo x

You must be mad
  • Options
    Apparently in the weeks leading up to the big day you can go mad - I am feeling a little crazy at the moment but the cold bath thing works, ask Natnif who is a regular (and Paula Radcliffe!).

• Options
    I don't know about you guys but reading all these posts today and on the back of today's charity cake morning for my sponsorship....i'm starting to feel a bit nervous
  • Options
    I tried the cold bath for 10 minutes after a 21.5 run on Saturday and also believe that it works as i was up and ready to go out and do other things minutes later rather than sit about for ages.

Michael...you are nervous...I am actually running the Santiago Marathon on 10th April and looking at the weather forecast I am absolutely shi*ing ma'sel!!! This week it seems to be scorchio every day...not exactly ideal after training through a Scottish winter.
  • Options
    Caledonian
    I know what you mean....I'm in Scotland too and it's been freezin most of the time i'm out.

You will need to do overtime at the drink stops, especially in that heat....are you going out a few days before to get used to the heat?

• Options
    Wish I was feeling as great as you lot! Yesterday my legs packed up after just 2 miles, and they still feel wrecked today. OK, so I ran 20 miles in 2:56 on Sunday, but I had Monday off, then ran 6 miles on Tuesday without too much difficulty. What's going on? It's not like I'm not eating enough. I had planned on 22 miles this Sunday but might end up resting till then.
  • Options
    abbs....Sometimes things like that happen,you may feel OK but your legs will be tired after months of hard training.

It may be a good idea to rest until the big Sunday run to give your legs a break...after this is should be time for tapering.

In a way it may be a good thing...a wee reminder what you are putting your body through and prevent you from doing too much.
  • Options
    abbs....I agree with Michael....I ran 20 miles on Sunday before last, and have suffered a bit from niggles since. Through experience I know that this is down to tiredness and the draining effect a long run has on the body.

Therefore last Sunday I only went out for 6-7 miles, and then didn't run again until last night and did another 7 miles. Felt really good last night and foot problem is 99% fixed. Form now until race day it is important to listen to your body and make sure you don't do anything silly that will jeopardise allthe hard work put in so far!

If you fancy a day off....don't worry it will be worth it.
  • Options
    Am so pleased i logged on as it has given me a bit more hope! After 3 months of long Sunday runs and hard training ive got ITBS following my race last weekend!

Am v v disappointed as cannot run now for the next 2 weeks and am terrified it will return during the marathon but im hoping that my training wont go to waste and that ive put enough miles on the clock to be able to perform on the 17th.

But the swimming pool is soooooooo dull! Thanks all for the motivation in your notes above......
  • Options
    cbpt.....this is an interesting site: http://www.itbs.info/
  • Options
    Done it! - my last long run (22miles 3hrs 35mins). Completely shagged, but chuffed that I've stuck all those long runs out. I am now severely into tapering mode.....Higo x, Little Les, Jenks, Natnif, Superm@n et al...how is it going with you guys?
  • Options
    well done dazza, I am not doing my long run until Saturday. Planning on doing 20-21. Paranoid about avoiding injury .
    Not really looking forward to the taper though, as if its anything like previous years, I feel so letharigic, irritable and bloated!!
  • Options
    Good stuff Dazza! I will be so glad when my last long run is out of the way. I'm doing mine Saturday morning, it will probably be about 20 miles. I've got a half marathon the week after - The Bournemouth Bay Half near where I live which I'm really looking forward to. Then bring on the taper!! Thank Goodness!
  • Options
    Thanks MB2 - it has some good stretches on there.....
  • Options
    Dazza,

nice one mate, 22 in the bank, London here you come - ready!
    I'm doing 22 on Sunday...........................................can't wait!

Feel fit and ready.
  • Options
    Well done Dazza, will probably do a 22 on Saturday rather than Sunday, i can then enjoy a drink Sat night and spend some time with the family at Easter. Like everyone else looking forward to tappering the training.Bring on London, bring it on baby!
  • Options
    What's all this talk of drinking?! You are supposed to be preparing your bodies for a race!
  • Options
    Hollywood, I was of course talking about cocoa?
  • Options
    Guys, i noticed the RW training schedule suggests an 18 miler next Sunday! that not much of a taper, i was thinking about just a 12 miler.
  • Options
    morning all,
    not been on this thread before. Have been trying to train on sub 4 schedule but will be happy to finish in under 4.30!
    Running with club but missed one long run 4 weeks ago and had to pull out of 20miler at 12miles the following week due to a heavy head cold!
    So longest run has been 17.5 last week and will be doing 22 on Sunday (hopefully!!)
    Feeling very nervous now and confidence seems to come and go!??
    Did half mara two weeks ago in 1.56, and felt good, so that boosted my confidence a bit.
    Good luck ot all 22milers at weekend! Can't wiat to start tapering!!
  • Options
    dizzy.....it'a big jump from 17.5 to 22...don't push too hard, try o pace yourself.

good luck
  • Options
    Cheers Michael,
    Because i'm running with the group on Sunday i dont really have much choice, we will go at a really slow pace though which should be ok.

Superman, I know what you mean about 18 miles! Not much tapering going on there then! At least the mid week runs are a bit less, but hey, are those not the easy ones anyway!?
  • Options
    Hi, I agree with michael, a 20 mile run is still a good distance to get under your belt, I dont think the extra 2 miles will make much difference at this stage...but i am talking to a marathon runner who by definition must be completely MAD!

• Options
    Psychologically (now there's a big word for a wee bunny) it will be the best thing if I can manage it!
    But that all fits with the madness thing eh?!?
  • Options
    Well done all those having done 22 miles this weekend. I don't think I can fit in my long run until Monday. I hope to run very slowly for about 2 hours and then turn round an run home at the same slow pace. I think I might have been a bit gung ho with my pace in the 20 mile race last weekend, I just need to be on my feet a little longer. The bring on the tapering.
  • Options
    I read this story about a runner who had just reached the 16 mile mark during a marathon and said "I wish Pheidippides had died here?" OK, not that funny but proves how well we are all doing. My first marathon in 1984 i knew nothing about how i should train and did no training run longer than 11 miles i didn't even have proper running shoes, i think they were my squash trainers.Having read what you guys, gals and bunnies have been putting yourself through you should be rightly proud and confident of success in 3 weeks time.

A marathon is a lot more than 26 miles 385 yards. For most of us it started months ago, in the depths of winter, maybe a jog around the block or not much more than that, building up slowly, until we get to where we are now. Think of the miles you have put in? The final 26 miles is really just a lap of honour for us, a final reward for the real work and commitment we have endured...so lets enjoy it!

• Options
    superm@n...

A lap of honour...I like that..lol
  • Options
    You have summed it up very well Superman, it certainly is much more than just the 17 April. I remember one of my first long runs (about 15 miles), Dad and I went down towards the beach. Well I've never known so much wind, rain, we had sleet and it was bitterly cold. I felt battered by the elements by the time I got home. I'm doing a similar course tomorrow but 20 miles and I expect it will be much warmer and generally pleasant, oh and I won't struggle quite so much!

After tomorrow we can chill out a bit more and look forward to the main event. It's all in the bank already.

By the way Superman I will also be running tomorrow so I can enjoy a drink on a Saturday night for a change!
  • Options
    Hi All, just finished, 22.5 miles, 3hrs 13mins. i am delighted, suffered a bit towards the end but ran a fairly even pace throughout. The only pain i can feel is in my elbow where i bashed it against a lamp post. If i run like that in London i should be able to dip under the 4 hour mark...but i dont want to count my chikens just yet...i have no plans to run again until Tuesday, and i only plan to run a 12 miler next Sunday.

What are you guys planning next week?
  • Options
    Saturday morning

Five miles at pace this morning very pleasent but I do seem to have lost some of my sharpness and once again failed to break 40 minutes. I suppose old age and some of those longer runs having an effect but 50p in the swear box any one who utters anything about overtraining. I've been a good boy...honest. It seems that despite all the speed work I am still very one paced but that will do me in three weeks time. Happy weekend to all.