Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Hi Natnif

Your experience at Rome is a cautionary tale...I will be looking out for your plait in amongst the 4hr pacing group come FLM as I don't want to run the risk of overpacing by trying to put some time in the bank early on (I will be wearing a green Macmillan t-shirt with the word 'DAZZA' on it, so I won't be as non-descript as I was at the Richmond training run).

Went to a wedding over the weekend; it was great to leave running shoes behind and just completely relax for a couple of days. Thinking / training / worrying about the marathon has become an all comsuming obsession over the last couple of months...!

Back in for about 15 miles this week though as I start to taper.

Cheers

dazza
  • Options
    I agree with Higo (well doen on your 23 miles) in that you need to bank time for the final miles even if it does go against professional advice...again it comes down to personal choice and what you want to gain from the experience. I would be very nervous trying to maintain a pace throughout the race which just achieves my target. I will maintain even pace for 20 miles 8 1/2 mins per mile and then see what happens.

I did 22.5 miles on Saturday in 3hrs 14mins. Yesterday i cycled the route i took, and my odometer on my bike said i had covered nearly 24 miles! So i am not certain what my pace is.

I will be doing 12.5 miles this Sunday followed by a 7.5 mile run the following Sunday. (18 miles, no thanks)
  • Options
    Superman,

at that rate you need to join the 3.30 thread!!
  • Options
    Also,

what have you all got planned this week?
  • Options
    Higo, well done on your 23 miles!

This week looks like this for me:

Mon: 10 miles (80 mins) - done.
    Tue: Speed work re: the RW schedule
    Wed: 9 miles easy
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 21 miles easy
    Sun: Rest

Going for a two week taper. I had a three week taper last year and stood on the start line feeling fat and last long run seemed an age away. Anyone else?

• Options
    Hi Higo, tomorrow i will do 5 miles of speed work, Friday 10 miles slow, followed 5 miles easy on Saturday & 12/13 miles slow on Sunday. I am hoping i complete the FLM in about 3.55, (pb is 3.48, 10 yrs ago)I will stick with this tread thanks, 3.30 lot are very strange, probably all over-trained?

Hi Hainesy, i think after the taper we will all feel a little sluggish on the start line this is quite normal, i think one option to avoid this feeling is to do a short slow run the night before, 1 or 2 miles only, this also gives you a chance to run your kit in your wearing on the day. I also suggest we are a little more aware of our diet as we reduce our milage, no more "eat-as-much-as-you-want-because-i-have-just-done-a-very-long-run" excuses, not until the 17th at least.

• Options
    Well done one and all, some good stuff over the weekend. I did my 23? miles yesterday (Monday) and was keen to keep it slow as advised. I found it hard running slower than my normal pace. Mentally it feels like the end of the run and so my brain thinks I'm tired. Anyway after my 20 miles in 3 hours last weekend I was feeling very confident however it did not go well at all. At the halfway point I started feeling tired and legs started aching, something that has not happened before. The last hour and a half were hell and finished in 3:45 with a positive split of 11 mins. I cannot believe how bad it was compared to last weekend. I can only assume that the milage is taking its toll and that with sensible tapering I will cross the flm start line with a full tank of fuel and a pair of fresh legs. Two positive points:
    1) I did keep running for 3:45
    2) My legs seem to have recovered a lot better than last week. I tried the cold bath for the first time, I couldn't stay in more than 20 seconds but did do it four times.

Well done every one else, not long to go now.
  • Options
    Hi Howard - it's weird how running the longer runs at a slower rate is often harder than you'd think. It may be because as you are getting less of an aerobic workout you tend to burn up body fat - which is less efficient, so making your run less enjoyable? Are there any experts on this out there? I'm not sure whether this was the point Jenks made way back, when the thread was discussing the differences between pacing the short and long training runs per the RW marathon schedule. Either way, well done on finishing the run - that's a big mental plus point!
  • Options
    Lovely Easter Bank Holiday weekend so I thought I would knock out my final big run without to much trouble.....wrong!

A fortnight ago 20 miles in just under 3 hours.....today am just back from the physio after I broke down after 2 hours yesterday and had to be picked up before I could complete my run!!

What went wrong?...well I guess it was the golf I played on Friday afternoon (FIRST EVER GAME!)...it has aggravated an old groin injury which means I am having difficulty walking today!

On the positive side my physio (who is a really good one) doesn't see why after a couple of days rest I shouldn't be able to do some light running to test it out.

Looks like I will be having lots of rest over the next 3 weeks though! Will have to leave the easter eggs till after 17th.....
  • Options
    Well done Howard, that was a good run. I had the same experience of feeling tired when running slower than normal, after 7 miles i felt like stopping & going home, but after a while you do get used to it, i am not sure why this happens, it must be a mental thing. i still cant't get myself to do the cold bath lark, even for 20 seconds!
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

I have avoided this place like the plague as it was depressing knowing I had a 50% chance of running.

I've been off with an ankle strain since the Brighton half on 20th Feb in 1:42. Did a steady 15 miler in 2:09 on 20th March, and and 18 miles in 2:45 last Sat. I'm sure I will get round the marathon - but am very scared now!

I wondered if anybody has any advice - I know I need to do one more long run. I was thinking a 22 miler this Fri and then taper. What do you guys think?

Linds
  • Options
    Welcome Linda, there are a few new members of the group (me included). Not sure what you should do, It's tempting to get one last big run in...but it's getting pretty close to the big day and you will leave less time to recover.

Howard/Superm@n
    I have the same problem with slow running, I feel it takes more out of me...strange.

I did a 21 miler this morning, it was suposed to be 22 but I had to pick my son up from the nursery so had to cut it short. It took me 3:07 and I felt pretty good at the end. I ended up finishing the last mile in 8 minutes.

• Options
    That's great Michael!
    Praps I will do my 22 miler on Thurs instead of Fri and take it steady.

Well done with your 21 miler - you should be feeling confident! with all that adrenalin on the day you should def beat 4 hrs easily. What's your plan now?

Good luck
  • Options
    Michael
    That sounds like a great run this morning, should make you very confident for the flm.

Linda
    Welcome. I would be very cautious about running 22miles so late on. It will give you two weeks and two days to recover and taper. Many of us are thinking that even the 18 miles suggested by the RW schedule is too much at this stage. It has been said by others on this forum but worth repeating: it is better to turn up at the flm underprepared but fit and fresh rather than overprepared, tired and risking another injury.

How is your ankle at the moment?
  • Options
    Michael - I appreciate your advice here. The ankle is fine at the moment - I have been only running twice a week so it can recover. I've been doing a long run and a speed run. I iced it after the 2 last long runs I did and had no problems. What distance would you recommend I do on Friday Michael?
  • Options
    Sorry that last message was meant to read Howard - sorry.
  • Options
    Hi all - another new bod here,

I've been on the sub 4-15 thread though it's not as active as this one and I need some advice. You're all talking about even 9m/mile pacing at least up until 20m. My problem is I always run negative splits and feel I have quite a bit in the bank at the end. Examples:

Finchley 20m - first 5 miles in 9m30, then around 8.30-8.45 for another 10, then I sprinted the last 3 miles in around 8min miles. Total 2h56

Kingston 16m - first 8m slow and steady in total 1h20, second 8m in 1h05 with last mile at 7m22! And felt fine

I was planning to start FLM at 9m15-9m30 for the first 10miles then make up time later. Do you think this is madness as I've never run over 21m (my longest run yesterday) so don't know what the last 5 will be like?

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom...
  • Options
    Linda

I really sympathise with your predicament. I've been playing catch up a bit myself this year with injury. This is my first Marathon and I would not like to give advice above my experience. Higo, Natif and others may offer some advice when they next log on.

Good luck anyway.
  • Options
    Linda,

I think we have all been injured on this thread! I had most of Jan off with medial tibia stress syndrome and thought it was curtains, but managed to get fit with 3 weeks no running at all, just swimming and cycling. I have caught up although I have been very careful not to over do it.(Injury cause).

The first advice I rec'd on this thread was:

Better to undertrain and finish the race, than overtrain and don't start it.

The RW schedule says 18 miles this weekend and they are the experts not me. They think that two weeks will be enough recovery time, however it's your call on your injury.

Biking bird, sorry no words of wisdom from me as I know I'll be doing a positive split!
  • Options
    Hi all, did a 22 mile run on friday but struggled to keep my HR down to my normal 'easy'level. I put this down to demolishing the best part of a bottle of chardonat the nightr before but the upshot was that the run took me 8 minutes longer than the previous week (3.48) although I did manage the last mile in 9.10.

Fealt a bit depressed but my wife persuaded me that we should both enter a local 10 mile race on easter sunday. I was a bit dubious as my legs fealt like lead but set off at a relaxed pace and was amazed to find i was feeling prety good at half distance. Picked up the pace and started overtaking other runners and managed to finish in 1.21 which is only 3 mins outside my PB.

My next long run will be 15 round the Isle of Dogs on Friday night then we're off skiiing for a week so the taper will be a bit sharp for us

Bikinibird, I don't want to be negative, but it is very difficult to predict what will happen to you once you reach 20 miles. A lot of experienced marathoners will tell you that 20 miles is the true 'half way' point. Your plan sounds like it would suit you fine if you were doing a 20 miler but for the marathon I would advise you to run as even a pace as posible. If you are set on a negative split I would take it to 20 miles and then up the pace for the last 6 if you feel ok.

Good luck
  • Options
    Hi, this is my first marathon, and first time in the forum. I'm aiming for sub 4, but think i'm going to struggle. i would appreciate a couple of bits of advice...
    i typically start quickly (8 mins for first mile then about 6 at 8.5) before draining quite significantly. I really struggle to monitor my own pace and was wondering whether the pacers are really clear. if they are, can anyone make any suggestions of strategy - know its a bit late in the day! was thinking stick with 8.5 min miles for hopefully first 8 to 10 and then dropping back until i find the 9 min pacer - is this realistic or completely naive? i will then drop gradually from about 15 miles onwards i think.
  • Options
    Hello Bikingbird, Jenks called you Bikinibird, which i must say sounds more interesting, (sorry). I have never managed very well over the last 6 miles of a marathon. This years FLM will be my 8th, but i am definately in the best shape for 10 years. I will be probably be running negative splits by running to a strict 20 miles in 2hrs 50 mins and then seeing what happens next. I imagine i will slow but hopefully will still get through under 4 hours. I would feel very nervous relying on speeding up at the end, by running an even pace throughout. The last 6 will be tough regardless of what pace you choose.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    Hells teeth... where is everyone?? I saw natnif back there but... hellooooo??
    I don't know you lot!
    All the best though.. hope you all get what you deserve- will be hoping to see on some screen or other here in Riyadh.
    If any of the old lot pop in again... thank you for the lanka support. We worked very hard, the people were amazing... they will need help for years to come.
    Have started running again- but a bit restricted here! Still, at least I can now!
    LB2.... if this is your first, just run to enjoy (lots others will say the same) and you will be ecstatic as you cross the line. Be sure to talk to people and wave lots.
    oooooooo.. how exciting- am v v v jealous but also excited for all!!
    x
  • Options
    Re tapering; I've been following the training schedules in Bob Glovers book "the Competitive runner's handbook" (well worth reading, great tips)At any level, inc "local champions", he has a 3 week taper, with a longest run of 10 miles. the emphasis is more on a few medium runs closer to marathon pace, rather than longer slower runs,they should all be in the bank by now!!I'm doing a 10k this Sunday to see just how fit I am and to confirm my target time for FLM.
    As for "negative splits" all my racing adopts "ns". Overtaking all those who started too quickly is mentally better for you than being constantly overtaken, which I find sole destroying!!
    However with the Marathon, I don't believe you can drift too far away from steady pace throughout, maybe 10-15 secs per mile at most, start too fast and you'll surely pay for it at the 20 mark ( there speaks experience) Good luck to all,just make sure you get to the starting line!! Milley
  • Options
    Bikingbird,
    I tend to use similar tactics, setting off relatively slowly and uping the tempo near the end if I have the energy - agree with Michael M that its psychologically better to be overtaking than struggling towards the end. In fact Bikingbird I was less than a minute behind you in the Finchley 20. Must admit that was my longest run, hope its enough. Had intended to taper to about 15 on Sunday but got lost somewhere in Buckinghamshire (or was it Hertfordshire - well I WAS lost!) and ended up doing 18 or 19, probably do me good.

jenks - enjoy your skiing, I thought I was the only one risking it a week before the FLM, but it was booked before I got my place. Must be good altitude training, but take it easy on those legs!
  • Options
    I've lost my map of how to get to the excel centre which was sent it the pack could anyone be kind enought to scan it and e-mail it to me at micktherunner@aol.com
  • Options
    webrunner, you can get a map of the excel centre via the London Marathon web site.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the advice.

Just unsure now whether to run even pace all the way to 20m. I might run 10-15secs slower per mile then see how I feel. I generally stay slower/steadier at the start as a conservation thing as I don't want to die later on! Bit too late to practice any other pacing now I guess!
  • Options
    Hi Lindsey

I am loath to make definitive statements - but
    I do think that your plan is mad :-))

several marathon adages :

start slow and get slower!

a marathon is run in two halves - the first
    20 miles and the last 6. . .

cold baths do work - but you need more than 20s

(OK I made the last one up cos of all the
    wimps posting above . . . )

spend the last runs over the next two weeks
    running 9 min miles so that it starts to
    feel more normal.

find the pacers at the start (they will let
    you know what pen they are in and will be
    at the back of it. stay (just) behind them
    at all times.

london is very crowded - you can waste a lot
    of energy trying to move up or down the pack ,
    particulraly in the first few miles.

Hi caraid - comeing back for the 17th??

Hi Dazza - I should be easy to spot as I shall
    be wearing my usual marathon outfit!

• Options
    good grief...that's some outfit ;-) will definitely come and say hello on the day