Options

Fell Running

Comments

• Options
    I must admit - I've never entered a fell race but would like to give it a try - as i love off road running and hills

Is there anywhere I can get more info ?
  • Options
    Look at www.fellrunner.org.uk as a starting point.
  • Options
    Wildwill, it's worth joining the FRA just for the 3 magazines a year even if you don't intend entering any races.

The magazines are packed full of contributed articles that are much more interesting than the boring repetitive stuff that you get in some running magazines. And there's hardly any adverts in them.
  • Options
    Thanks, Richard just nipped to a local outdoor shop to buy a new compass, but came away without buying one, far too much choice. I already have one from my time in the army it's a silva one, do compass's? have a shelf life? Also I think I will go to the Karrimor factory shope in nearby Accrington and get a rucksac from there, had a look the other day but the pack looked quite long, is this normal for running packs? (it has a space for a bladder aswell)
  • Options
    The KIMM rucsacs have a full length back, so the fit is the same as a full size rucsac. This makes the rucsacs longer than other rucsacs of similar capacity. I do not think compasses have a shelf life. A sliva compass is just fine.
  • Options
    Tom, I spotted one of your routes on the Manchester Hill thread, am certainly impressed you're prepared to go to so much trouble to reassure your wife, and you moorman (obviously this is not a gender thing then!) Couldn't bear to do likewise, but there's another thread for that debate.

Moorman, I think you should practise with map & compass first, you need the first principles before making the most of a GPS (recognising as a bloke you'll be dying to get your hands on such a gadget). If you're unsure you could practise on the routes you already know, just to see how the contours etc on the map and compass bearings relate to what you recognise. (sometimes still have to check the difference between footpath and parish boundaries!)

You're welcome to my GPS anyhow, still in its box and likely to stay there, just another thing to carry. I have several copies of the OS maps for each section of the Lakes, take the most battered version in bad weather, or photocopy/laminate section I need. Feel pretty lost without the them I must admit, except on my most local routes.

I recently got a new Lowe Alpine Peak Runner bum bag, it's excellent and very comfortable, drinks compartments either side which can be secured without bouncing. I can get windproof top, spare thermal, food, map, small 1st aid kit into it, if it's dry I can strap the map to the outside where it's easy to access. I always take drink as many routes there's no water and I drink a lot whilst running.
    If you use a backpack it's harder to get stuff in and out as you're moving along, I would suggest you only need one of these for carrying more than a day's worth of kit.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Laura, I think I'll stick to my bum bag for the time being, and brush up on the old map reading skills.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did the Beast today, not a good run, just one of those days!

I wore fell shoes (Walshes)for the first time and was very disappointed with them. I kept twisting over as the ground was so very uneven at times and didn't feel they gave any support at all. Maybe, the ground was too hard for them today and I should save them for winter wet off road runs, what do others find?
  • Options
    Sorry they didn't suit you Hilly, maybe they're not supportive enough for you, it's true they're designed to be like ballet slippers (I always feel).I seem to remember you mentioning twisting your ankles easily. Like all shoes it depends on your feet, ankles, running style etc. I must say I love them for exactly the reason you didn't get on with them; the flexibility is great for picking my way downhill and over rough terrain, and thin sole means forefoot running which feels better to me.

Well done on the Beast anyway!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Laura! Maybe it's because it was the first time I'd worn them (I never do anything by half! If you're going to break a shoe in what better way than in a race!) so wasn't used to the lack of support. I'll try them again, but on a shorter route. My ankles are pretty sore this morning from all the twisting and turning.
  • Options
    I'd would have to agree with Laura here, Walshes don't have any support and neither do any other fell shoes or cross country spikes.

Support (and cushioning) is probably the last thing that you want in an off-road shoe because you need the flexibility to be able to use your feet on the terrain. You also need to be very close to the ground in order to reduce the risk of turning an ankle.

What you need to do is build up the strength in your ankles by practising in them beforehand. I remember the first time I ran off-road my ankles were aching and were quite red with broken capiliaries. It'll only take a few runs though before you've gain the strength that you're missing at the moment.

Once you get used to Walshes though, you won't want to wear anything else - I even have an old pair that I now use as road shoes.
  • Options
    I run off road in a pair of inov8 which I bought nearly a month ago, must admit it's taken a while for my legs to get used to them, I've had tight sore calves towards the end of runs, but went out for a ten miler in them on saturday morning and am virtually ache free! I have decided to get some sobrapane full strike insoles for them though as some of the routes I run are quite stoney. I was running previously in pegasus storm, in fact I went for a quick run in them last week which is about half road and half off road, I find them horrendous now for off road and they are now de-moted to walking shoes. By the way thought I would see if I could fit everything I need in my bum bag (water proofs etc)quite surprised to find everything fits, and for some reason went for a run with everything in it! (glorious sunshine as well!)
  • Options
    Hilly - It takes some getting used to running a Walshes, or any other fell running shoe, with their low profile and minimal support. You really need to practice in them first, but once you are used to the them you will not want to run off road in anything else.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the advice. I do loads of off road runs but normally wear Saucony or similar which can also be used on road. I've never had a problem with twisting and turning before so it must be as you all say I'll need to get used to wearing them. Ankles and legs are feeling more sore as the day proceeds. I'm hoping to do a long run tomorrow so hope they ease up!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    moor man-I wear sorbothane full strike insoles in all my trainers due to suffering with my lower back. I put them in the Walshes yesterday, so I got a little more cushioning. I buy a new pair everytime I buy new trainers.
  • Options
    Hilly, I usually use the double strike in my road trainers, but have decided against using them in my new addidas supernova and think that they'd be too thick for the inov8, that's why i've gone for the full strike, also I have very narrow/low rise feet so will make them a better fit aswell. Just waiting on delivery, as I ordered some sof sole ultra arch supports as well off the internet.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say about the double strike as thats what I used to wear, but they were too deep for the Saucony Swerves I bought a year or 2 ago and since then have used the full strike. Plus I can put them under the trainer insole.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever got lost on a fell run? The longest one I've done was 8m (B) and I nearly went the wrong way on that as I was near the back and the field spread out considerably and I lost the person in front of me. Thankfully I guessed correctly then saw someone in the distance. I'm sure I will go the wrong way sooner or later. Going on an FRA navigation weekend soon though so should pick up a few tips.
  • Options
    Never had this problem. Always seem to know where I am going, even when I was on the top of Cader Idris and could see no more than a few yards in any direction. Also found that the races have been well marshelled, with marshells at all points where a mistake could be made.

Good luck on the navigation weekend, and future fell running.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    When i did Mendip Muddle last year I nearly took a wrong turn going down through some woods, but just caught site of the guy in front turning a corner. It was thick fog on the Mendips and being the first time I'd done it I can tell you it made me run quicker just to keep someone in sight!
  • Options
    Yes, I think I tend to get lost in reverie at the wondrous scenery around me instead of trying to keep up more! Haven't run in bad weather yet, or fog, that will be fun I expect! I think my most enjoyable run thus far was Wardle Skyline - it was a lovely day and just so nice to be out there.
  • Options
    The thought of getting lost seems to be a good motivator for a faster pace.
  • Options
    The last off road race I ran was the Machen Moutain Run a few weeks ago. Although not a fell race as such, there was some hard hilly sections. Anyway, it was such a nive day, and when I got to the top of machen mountain I stopped and had a long chat with one of the marshells about the view and the different towns, etc that could be seen. Very enjoyable, but does nothing for your time.
  • Options
    Where is Machen Mountain? Are there usually marshalls on the longer mountainy races ? Mind you I'm sticking mainly to Medium Bs/Cs for the time being, being of the slower variety, until I get more confident going downhill-scary going too fast!
  • Options
    Machen is not really a mountain, its a big hill in South Wales. Machen is a small town between Newport and Caerphilly. Saying that it is a very enjoyable off road run, not so extreme as a fell race, but quite demanding. It is run annually on the August Bank holiday Monday.

I have always found that fell races are well marshalled. On the higher reaches of Cader Idris the marshalls were from the local mountain rescue team, and so well experienced in maountainous areas.
  • Options
    Went round a friends on sat night for a few glasses of red so got taxi home, taxi took a really good route over the moors so thought I'll run back tomorrow and pick it up. Obviously come hazy hungover sunday memory wasn't so good but gave it a go anyway got completely lost and met a couple of guys on motorbikes with GPS which said we were in huddersfield even I knew we weren't near H-Field anyway eventually saw my friends local tesco's shining like a beacon to guide me to the car.

Long story, no real lesson to be learnt from it, just bored in the office and no one else is interested in my running tales anymore.

Yawn

MT
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You can share them with us MT, we're interested. Glad you found your way and retrieved your car!
  • Options
    Interesting thread - esp the Mendip Muddle - a favourite local race over some testing couuntry down here in the South-West - this year's race is on 12 Oct so I shall expect to see some of you there - details on Weston AC website www.westonac.co.uk
  • Options
    I'm going to have a go at a fell run next month its a catagory 'AS' - so i think that means steep but short