Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Weedy - Am ok.......getting there slowly........still coughing up horrible stuffimage

Loving all your artwork!!image

Malc- Sorry to hear that but sign up anyway.........I'm sure Mrs Malc will love it!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I'll have a look into it - where's best place to find the info? I went to the Paris site and it led me to a UK portal but it's talking about charity places - do you need to have a fundraising target?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Malcs - It didn't send me to the UK portal. There still seem to be normal (non charity) places left - but they are selling fast

This is the link to the registration details

You need to register with ASO first but it's painless

• Options

Beaten to it by Orbutt.

• Options

http://www.parismarathon.com/marathon/2013/us/r2_modalites.html

Malcs. You don't need to get a charity place while there's still places left. Start at the link I've posted. You have to register with ASO (the company that organises the marathon). When you register, it asks for your address - don't look for UK in the "country" bit - look for Royaume Uni.

Then you apply for the place itself.

If you get stuck, give us a shout.

• Options

I still haven't received my confirmation email....image

• Options

Beaten to it by Orbutt AND Eggy...

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Many thanks, I have some thinking to do image.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Malcs - with regards Paris being colder than London, yes and no.

Last year was a bit chilly to start but I thought it was cracking weather to run in once it warmed a bit.

A couple of years ago, there was a heatwave but it has also been cold too.

The same can be said for London.

There's no hard and fast rule for the weather - and Paris is nearer to the Equator image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Come on Malcs... join the madhouse and show those Asics 26.2 what 'real runners' doimage

I'll look out for your post on the forum 6 (in my opinion the better versionimage).

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

What's accommodation like to get? I assume most of you do Saturday and Sunday? Do you have a recommended hotel? Apologies, I'm sure the answers are in this thread somewhere but it would appear I'm tight on time. I need to get all the details before attempting to sell it to Mrs Malcs.

Or let's cut the chase here as money will no doubt be the biggest factor - ball park, what's this adventure likely to cost? I'm at £90 for entry as a starter. 

Thanks for your help and encouragement!

• Options

Accommodation isn't that cheap, but if you shop around you can find reasonably priced hotels or apartments. I'm heading back to the same hotel I used this year which was the Ibis Montmartre, which is costing me about £65 per night for a room. It's close to a few Metro stations and only about a twenty minute metro ride to the start area.

Paris is an expensive city, but you can do it reasonably cheaply if you want. I was over for four nights last year and didn't spend that much on food. Other than the pre-race meet-up I eat in a couple of Italian restaurants near the hotel that were what I'd say was average high street UK restaurant prices.

ATM is the best person to give the Paris low down and Radar Sal put together a supporters guide last year. From what I heard of that Paris seems to be better than most marathons for family and friends wanting to catch their loved one running the race as it's easy to get to various sections of the course.

Just tell your good lady about the French firemen on the course. That seems to get a high rating approval from the ladies of this thread!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Can you sell Mrs. M the idea of a weekend in Paris? I take it you're not in double-glazing, insurance or extended warranties....It IS expensive. Most of us save money by dumping the beloved spouse. 'Saves a fortune. That IS a much harder sell, though...image

You, or yous...as we say here...will have a great time. I see that one of the hotels in partnership with the organisers is offering B&B at 65 a night.It's out at La Defence..not interesting but on a direct line to the Start. You can resolve NOT to spend a fortune on white -coffees-in-cafes...but it IS Paris so you can't plan to wear a hair-shirt for a whole weekend. Wine is cheap. Good company is free. It would be great to get a Forum 6 place.If that falls through, you'll get plenty of coaching , here. And a metre-by-metre runners' AND supporters' guide to the course, the lowdown on the portaloos and a chance to see several of us in her_maj's fancy frock ( not you, TD!)

The only' random' cost will be whatever...if anything...your doc charges for the Medical Certificate.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha image Thanks ATM. And thanks Eggy too. I will do some thinking and talk it through with the OH. Thanks again for coming back to me so quickly!

• Options

Been away in Cockney land so had to skim read through on a Costa Coffee/back stretch stop.

Seems to boil down to:

• DV has been filming ladies in action
    • TD is having medieval treatment on his knee (leeches next?)
    • Emmy is having a baby
    • TD has been named as the daddy with Orbutt and Eggy having denied they could be....

That about right?

On the tights with/without shorts debate:  I tend to wear the ones that come just below the knee from November to March and never wear shorts with them.  Only time I wear full length tight is if it's at least -5 and snowy and then I do wear shorts with them because the only place I can store gloves/hat is down the front of the tights and that's not a good look!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DLR - Eggy has owned up. He IS the daddy - and he owes me a heap of pocket money image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DLR in Jim-the -Cabin- Lad mode for several months of the year...* shudder* ... That said, I've just caught sight of meself in tights...Very' Shar'n 'n' Tracey from Viz...image

On the plus side, it's now 3 degrees and the ice is melting fast.

Malcs, I've messaged you but it doesn't always work..

• Options
    ..and an Orbutt in a Pear Tree wrote (see)

DLR - Eggy has owned up. He IS the daddy - and he owes me a heap of pocket money image

You'll get pocket money once the chores are all done. image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Aaawwww - that's not fair image

• Options
    ..and an Orbutt in a Pear Tree wrote (see)

Aaawwww - that's not fair image

...and turn that bloody music down.

• Options

You treat this place like a hotel....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options

Accomodation, Booked through Owners Direct

Apartment 5 mins from the start line  Thursday til Tuesday.  £800  But it has 5 beds so the kids are coming as well

• Options

Daaaaaaaaaaad? Can I borrow some money? I'll pay you back, honest

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Many thanks ATM - messge received!

• Options
    Your post further up this page ATM... If I do manage to get into Yer_Maj's frock in Paris, I'm pretty sure I don't want anyone else to see what is going on. Honestly it seems very unlikely to me. Rob always said I shouldn't cheat on him in Paris.

Did a bike ride this morning. Felt like the doc left a small bolt under the knee cap. No power in my leg whatsoever. It really shouldn't have hurt like this. Something went wrong yesterday. Will need assurance before next injection it won't happen again. On the bright side, I am one day closer to being a runner again.

DV. I think many people are put off running because they are fearful that 'proper' runners will sneer at them. As an experienced runner, I am firmly of the opinion that starting to run is the hardest decision of all, so I admire those people and their desire to get going. Getting over the psychological barrier to starting is tough and certainly gets much easier. You also experience the tiredness and out of breathless really quickly, whereas these things take longer to come as you get fit. So it's always harder in the early days, so kudos to the newbies.
  • Options
    And Weedy, your pics always cheer me up so much. Nice one mate! : D
  • Options

I really enjoyed my run tonight. A short one, but my running felt a bit more natural and the pace was slightly better. That's three nights running in a row and so far no ill affects. The injury isn't 100% clear, but I think at long last it may be heading in the right direction. If anything I think the easy pace running is helping overcome the injury.

I'm going to rest up tomorrow and maybe try a nice and slow slightly longer distance run than I've managed until now at the weekend, but try and stay close to home in case I need to call it quits.

• Options
    I reckon having 10 toenails is so overrated image .

However, Eggy image . Everything crossed that you're on the mend. You too TD.

Malcs - the best way to choose accommodation is to pick somewhere on a direct Metro line to Charles de Gaulle/Etoile (check the RATP website for a map). The further out you go, the cheaper it gets, but you'll still be able to get to the start/finish easily. If you're thinking of travelling by Eurostar, the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. At the moment it looks like you can get out on the Saturday and back on the Monday for about 110 pounds return, but it will go up.
  • Options

Eggy - sounds like a corner's been turned.

RR - ouch.

Yer Maj - your bulbs cost more than my first car!