Options

Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Options

Thats a good idea max

Mouse - thanks for all that information. Really helpful but where do you carry this mountain of food. I do actually have 2 bento boxesimage but they don't really hold that much. I've never tried having a gel on the bike. Wouldn't be able to open it. Do people stop and take them. Have 2 bottle holders but perhaps should get 2 behind saddle then I could have my water and gel mixed in them and water and sports at the front. Do you put your sandwiches in a bag. I've put them straight in before but they're stale as anything after 4 hours. Can obviously put some in monaco back pocket though not that big but not if I've got a jacket in there

I know I sound like I'm panicing, well that's coz I amimage I'm not really - it's just decision time.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Snail - really you should kinda know by now what you'll be eating? What have you been eating in training?

I have an aero bottle, two bottle cages on bike, a double bottle cage behind my saddle and a bento box. I have my tools etc in a bottle behind my bum. Gels stuffed in another bottle on the seat tube and the water/energy in the other three. I have sandwiches, nuts, flapjack in bento and pockets. You'd be surprised how much fits, plus you can squish sandwiches. Sandwiches wrapped in cling film. Flapjack/nuts in a sandwich bag. 

To open a gel on the bike/on the move use your teeth! 

I could give you some lessons but prob a bit late now. I only stop to pee. 

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Oh and I reckon 3 bottles for liquid now too much. Next time will use that other bottle for food too. However, I started my race this year with 3 bottles of my energy drink as I didn't like theirs. 

• Options

I do and I've tried loads of things and I don't seem to have a problem with anything. was planning on keeping the gels for the run as I thought  13+ hours of them would make me feel a little unwell. Let's hope I don't need the rain jacket - gives me more space. Was practising a bit of manning up weather wise on Sunday

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

So what's your strategy?

• Options

M..o.use -  I hope you don't mind me asking - but my plan (for this Sunday - yikes) - was to stick to 1 gel and 1 bar per hour on the bike and then cut out the solids for the last 2 hours before the run. In your experience is that enough time for the stomach to settle and digest?  At the minute I plan to take the bike pretty gently although I know I do tend to go a bit nuts when actually in a race so will need to be very careful.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

GymAddict, it's honestly not for me to say, different strokes for different folks.  As you see over the page, Stanners does it slightly differently to me, eating every 20 mins, which is also a great strategy (probably better on the little and often principle) and I think Stanners is getting more calories in than me, which is also great if it works for him. I don't think it would work for me!  But he's trained on that, and I train on what I do.  So, if you've trained on 1 gel and 1 bar per hour and know that it works for you on long rides then that's great.  In all honesty, it's too late to try anything new now really.

• Options

If 1 gel and 1 bar on the bike is enough for you to be fuelled on the bike AND for the remaining 2 hours then only you can know if this is enough time for YOUR stomach to settle
    I know I can shovel everything in up until T2 and then run off bananas and coke, it really is that individual and I would not be taking on or trying anything new at this stage in the game
    Dont look at other peoples strategys and think to try something new.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Great minds, eh, Meldy...

• Options

I know - you are both right...... can't seem to help asking though despite having had a firm plan for a few weeks. Need to trust it and RELAX!

• Options

GA i know what you mean.

Mouse - have done a bit of maths!! Going to put 8 gels mixed with water in a bottle, 2 lots of peanut butter sandwiches/bagels a couple of flapjacks a couple of pieces of malt loaf and some salty nuts which is more than 2000 cals without any sports drink. Hopefully I can stash it all on me/the bike but can put more of the same in special needs bag if necessary though would prefer not to use it. Will replace water bottle at each stop probably whether empty or not

• Options

My nutrition plan includes a pint on / straight after the finish line image

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Ohhh this leads me on to think of something else....

What drives you forward on race day?

Try to think of something positive that will keep you moving, even when you feel poopy, so that you make it through the dark times.  There will be dark times.  So, Matt can think about his pint...

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭
    7755matt wrote (see)

Now there's a Pirate on my wave length, for the half I did waver to possibly an ice cream as I ran round the lake in the heat but by the finish is was definitely a pint I wanted. Worked out well as I met Cake at the bar image mind you I did get hiccups by the half pint mark. image

• Options

Good advice coming out here, I concur on the fueling, its a personal thing, replicate what you did in training. 

One important thing (sometimes overlooked) is mental preparation, plan ahead and realise that youll probably have to overcome some terrible low points.  That could be at the start of the swim (breathing problems), feeling youre to slow (many people may pass you on the bike), worst part for me is always around 70-85 miles on the bike, when youre starting to get tired and still have some way to go.  Get your mind ready for this and keep moving forward whatever happens.

Many times ive got to the end of the bike wondering how the hell ill complete the marathon, remember that the pain/stiffness will ease, if you need to walk the first mile (sometimes it takes me a couple of miles to get into anything resembling a shuffle).

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Is this another great minds moment, Barley?

• Options

'This too will pass'

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

'Don't fuck it up.' (Melli, 2012)

• Options
    M..o.use wrote (see)

'Don't fuck it up.' (Melli, 2012)

• Options
    AliBear30 wrote (see)
    7755matt wrote (see)

Now there's a Pirate on my wave length, for the half I did waver to possibly an ice cream as I ran round the lake in the heat but by the finish is was definitely a pint I wanted. Worked out well as I met Cake at the bar image mind you I did get hiccups by the half pint mark. image

+1 for that

• Options

a good puke ?imageimage  erm, flat coke, bananas and copious burping helped me last year image

• Options

flat coke on the run is what really helps..

on the run i find a good strategy for me to get me through a few tough miles is to dedicate a mile in my head to one person.......I can go through the whole family and friends...so if i find iot hard I will focus on all the great things that person has done......after a while i will forget and talk and notice other things and as soon as I start to dip again.I make myself think of that person again.......or if its a new mile i think of the next person.....just gives me a focus when i want to stop or cry

• Options

I sing and talk to myself or whoever is around and use that to get me through. Irony is my profile today appears to be b*ggered so not sure if you will ever read this post or if I am in fact just going to talk to myself. image

Most inportant thing is if you can't run walk don't stop you may not start again. You don't have to set off thinking I can just igore poorly tummy if you need to take your time take your time and recover from the bike a little you will recover better and probably run more later on in the marathon.

• Options

That Is a fab idea SN. Will deff be doing that.

K9 you are not negative, just realised we know eachother. You made me enter when I mentioned the outlaw at work. I blame you for everything. Im the oposite, The swim is my everest, if I survive that I think I can crawl round the run after blowing on the bike. Post nights this week so off till friday, what r u plans. ?pub one night

• Options

I will have an emergency stash of immodium, pepto and zantac in T2 in case stomach goes to the dogs.  I have multiple lists on google docs for all umpteen bags and keep adding to them.  Thinking of packing my bike tonight .... sooooo excited.

• Options
    Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)
    AliBear30 wrote (see)
    7755matt wrote (see)

+1 for that

+1, I plan to use the thought of getting absolutely mullered after as my motivation, ie just a long(ish) journey to the pub...mmm beerimage

• Options

Remeber there will be a fair few of us around on the campsite who are not racing.  Im happy to help, give advice if anyone wants to grab me for a chat.