Options

Sub 10:00...

Comments

• Options

I love stats, Which software is the report using? does it record swims as well? do you have to have a power meter or will it go on heart rate to calculate effort?

• Options
    Can you do a degree in triathlon ?
  • Options
    Golden Boots wrote (see)

I'm so lost right now. I think I need to leave this thread!

No GB, you need to get out there and prove you don't need all this crap to go sub 10.  Quite how Dave Scott managed I'll never know.

• Options

TB (just noticed how ironic that acronym is) - this is from Training Peaks. A basic account is free, but the Premium account is worth having IMHO. It will calculate training stress based on heart rate, and also from pace if you put in threshold values. Supports all sports, and if you want to you can use all kinds of dietary and general health metrics.

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Golden Boots wrote (see)

No GB, you need to get out there and prove you don't need all this crap to go sub 10.  Quite how Dave Scott managed I'll never know.

Training hard beats training smart, certainly, but training hard AND smart trumps both.

Dave Scott is one of the lucky exceptions to the rule that pounding yourself every day brings you injury and overtraining - and he was beaten out repeatedly prior to 89 by Mark Allen (who trained smarter) in every tri outside the big island. 

My personal opinion is that I'm a case study of one. I'd prefer to think things through a bit more - but each to their own.

• Options

If he had a PMC we'd know!

• Options

Here's mine

/members/images/553795/Gallery/PMC.jpg

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Golden Boots wrote (see)

Training hard beats training smart, certainly, but training hard AND smart trumps both.

Dave Scott is one of the lucky exceptions to the rule that pounding yourself every day brings you injury and overtraining - and he was beaten out repeatedly prior to 89 by Mark Allen (who trained smarter) in every tri outside the big island. 

My personal opinion is that I'm a case study of one. I'd prefer to think things through a bit more - but each to their own.

Oh, I'm no Luddite, I love my gadgets as much as the next guy, but sometimes there's just too much analysis going on, I think, much of it of dubious value when trying to apply it to each person's case study of one.

It's interesting that despite all the advances in training methods, technology and nutrition that men's IM times haven't improved all that much since then.  The difference in times should be a lot more just based on the claims of the bike manufacturers and nutrition suppliers.  What you do have is fewer people burning out before getting to their peak - for every Dave Scott and Steve Jones there were probably dozens using the same approach and wrecking themselves. 

• Options
    Oh, I'm no Luddite, I love my gadgets as much as the next guy, but sometimes there's just too much analysis going on, I think, much of it of dubious value when trying to apply it to each person's case study of one.
    It's interesting that despite all the advances in training methods, technology and nutrition that men's IM times haven't improved all that much since then.  The difference in times should be a lot more just based on the claims of the bike manufacturers and nutrition suppliers.  What you do have is fewer people burning out before getting to their peak - for every Dave Scott and Steve Jones there were probably dozens using the same approach and wrecking themselves. 

Agreed - if every manufacturer claim of "Save x minutes" was true, you'd be looking at a 3 hour bike split. There's a lot of dubious value out there in part because (opinion alert) the market has plenty of people who want to buy speed as a replacement for training not a complement. 

As far as the data from the PMC, I certainly think there is value in it as a day by day tool - caveat emptor that you shouldn't turn your brain off - to inform some of your training decisions. What is posted above is just a season review and to my mind a nice way of looking at (and learning lessons from) the previous year. 

Personally, I was amazed to see how much fitness I lost in April. I did well building up over the first part of the year (even if I could have done more), but let a lot of the gains I had made slip away before Mallorca. When I thought back to my year, I had the observation that in March I was flying, Mallorca was a great race for me, and that I lost a lot of fitness after my car accident.

In reality it's apparent that I had already slacked off in April - a month where I had some business trips but still plenty of opportunity. I had business trips regularly for the first half of the year, and clearly still managed in Jan/Feb/March to get enough work in - April should have been better.

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    As far as the data from the PMC, I certainly think there is value in it as a day by day tool - caveat emptor that you shouldn't turn your brain off - to inform some of your training decisions. What is posted above is just a season review and to my mind a nice way of looking at (and learning lessons from) the previous year. 

This is where we differ - I don't want anyone or anything telling me my training was crap!  It's hard enough fitting it all in anyway, and I'm happy that I'll get out what I put in.  Mind you, I'm just happy maintaining the status quo these days, I'm not looking for improvements or specific targets.  Maybe I'll change that view if I'm able to think about Kona when I move up to 50-54 in a couple of years.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I've only recently started to look at the Performance Manager data, and don't think it would help me much in day-to-day training, but it could be very helpful in analysing previous seasons. 

My chart shows a wonderfully steady build-up of training load, a perfect peak for IMUK, and a mess all the way from there! It reflects exactly how my performance actually fared, and also illustrates the point at which I decided to do races "for fun"....

I'd post the chart if I had the vaguest notion of how to do that.

It's not much help to me at the moment, as I'm in a deep hole and have notched up a grand total of 8 hours' training in the last 4 weeks!

• Options

What's TSS? There... I asked image

• Options

Ah wait... I think I remember... training stress score? basically how hard that session was for you??

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Yes, that's right - calculated based on threshold HR / power / pace numbers you've already set up.

• Options

I used two casio stop watches on my run today... technology!

• Options

Did you leave one at home and use special relativity to work out your speed?

Or are you using two to estimate your weight by gravitational time dilation? image

• Options

200km in at the weekend. Legs feel fine but I think I'm now coming down with a cold - immunocompromised?!

• Options

That's a heck of a run, TE.

• Options

I had a retul bike fit done over the weekend.. I wasn't convinced beforehand but I certainly am now.. All the tweaking i was doing to my bike recently I thought i'd be close enough, but everything was quite a long way off. From an aero point of view its much the same. Far better power and comfort though. I've done a couple of rollers sessions since and see the improvements. I'll need to get out on the road soon though!

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    the market has plenty of people who want to buy speed as a replacement for training not a complement. 

Was beginning to wonder where KK had gone image

• Options
    Rafiki wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    the market has plenty of people who want to buy speed as a replacement for training not a complement. 

Was beginning to wonder where KK had gone image

And I havnet touched a dorp of STella! 

*hic*

• Options

So... injury for me!! image Saturday morning 16 miles at a comfortable pace. Felt a niggle early on but decided to carry on as it wasn't anything special.

Was in agony later in the day. Felt (and still feels) like somebody pushing a knife through the side of my kneecap.

Annoyingly I cant get to a physio until the end of the week or the weekend. Still causing a lot of pain and a stop to any thoughts of training image !!!

• Options

Felt horrendous this morning. Playing fast and loose with the recommended dosages of cold meds seems to have sorted me out (for now!)

• Options

I've cancelled the 2 day training class I was supposed to give. Can't speak and my mime is shocking.

Surrounded by meds here too. #DamnQualityTrainingInDampWinter

• Options

Sorry to hear GB, hope its not going to keep you out of action too long!

I've been considering upgrading my crankset.. current is an FSA compact 50/33 or something like that.. I've been thinking i need to scrap the compact but is it really that big a deal? I'm no mechanical engineer but my understanding is that the ratios are key..

comparing 53/12 to 50/11 gives: 53/12 = 4.417 and 50/11 = 4.545... Based on that am I right in saying that you would need to be right down to 11 teeth before actually getting any gain out of the 53 teeth front ring?

Do many others here use a compact and why/why not? For the record I average around 23-24mph in olympic distance races and rarely feel like i need more gears.. just wondering if i'm missing something else!

• Options
    If you're happy with your gears then I don't think its worth the expense of changing the chainset.

I have compact on my cross bike that I do a lot of my miles on, and my race bike has a standard chainset.

If you do any hilly rides you might be glad of that smaller inner ring ?
  • Options

What frame are you running BKins? (Or more specifically, Bottom Bracket standard...)