Options

Sub 10:00...

Comments

• Options

For durability, try running 6 days out of 7.  (Every day if possiblebut i liked a rest day)  add 30 min runs on those days you are not running at tje moment.  Its a great way of building volume through frequency.  Nice easy IM pace

Also i found a double run day really good.  This started at a 30 min runs into/from work and built to 60 mins in/out.   I did this on a tuesday and then did my long run on thursday.

• Options

I am a fan of double run days and will eventually start to do them (8miles each way) but had never really considered doing this as well as a long run... was often done in weeks when I was struggling for 3 hours spare for a long run. Will start this in a few weeks most probably

• Options

im enjoying this thread! I have no idea of my limitation yet so, I will have to get one IM under my belt first (IMUK).  Looking at the volume of running being mention, when would this amount of running start? I'm doing Bolton in July, would I build up to this or just get on it straight away? 

• Options

Is it just coincidence that the two people advocating double run days are among the more injury-prone here? image

I'm not saying they're a bad thing, but it's a good way to pick up an injury if you just jump straight in.  I prefer to mix disciplines if I'm doing multiple sessions, for me doing extra runs just to build running volume tends to be unproductive time that's better spent doing something else. 

Although if it snows this winter I'll be running to and from work, probably my favourite sessions if it's nice and fresh, and thick enough to keep cars off the road.

• Options

i love it when its fresh and you can run on the roads as the cars can't go image

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Is it just coincidence that the two people advocating double run days are among the more injury-prone here? image

I'm not saying they're a bad thing, but it's a good way to pick up an injury if you just jump straight in.  I prefer to mix disciplines if I'm doing multiple sessions, for me doing extra runs just to build running volume tends to be unproductive time that's better spent doing something else. 

Although if it snows this winter I'll be running to and from work, probably my favourite sessions if it's nice and fresh, and thick enough to keep cars off the road.

One of the modifications I've made that's generally seen my level of injury subside is to do running when I'm fresh and never when I've really killed it in another session - going in with tired legs is just a recipe for disaster IMO. Naturally I've got a niggle as I speak though, but that was overdoing the weekend run that did it. 

• Options

Good point TE, but that does make brick sessions tricky.  Probably why they're best left until after building up that base endurance.

• Options
    Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Good point TE, but that does make brick sessions tricky.  Probably why they're best left until after building up that base endurance.

True, but at least with a brick session you're not totally flattening yourself for the run and you're warming up very well too. I subscribe to the view that there's no such thing as a recovery run, so placing an "easy" run after either a smashfest swim or bike (or indeed another run) is only asking for trouble. All IMVHO.

• Options

Mine was an acute injury through turning the ankle in an adventure race, and although weak ever since... I have never further hurt it through chronic overtraining. Am hoping with an increase in training next year this is still the case.

And I definitely find a small 5-7k slow run the morning after a tough intervals session the night before helps my legs to recover!

• Options

I was told to make my hard days hard and easy days easy. So don't do a hard bike followed by an easy run. Do both hard or both easy.

I've done 5km or so recovery runs the morning after a track session like GB and find it helps. I'm on a run focus but still trying to keep the bike ticking over so today was an hour's easy bike after yesterday's track run session.

Long FIRST run tomorrow image

• Options

I struggled with any pace on today's 14km.... which is far from a long run!! Not a good sign for a sub 3hr attempt in 4 months image

• Options

Well my bike light died so I got the train home - shit happensimage

• Options

OK, coming back to an earlier post (I've not read the thread for a week)...

FerrousFerret wrote (see)
    funkin-baby wrote (see)

I'd love to share some of my training schedules but I have nothing to share!  I kinda 'wing it' and thankfully it's done me good.  I might try for a little more structure next year, or at least wing it a bit less.

I am good at motivating and pushing myself during solo training though, and practically all of my training is on my own.  Well, just me and my power meter!  If you suffer in training then race day will feel easy.  Perhaps.

I think you might be a little more structured than you think.  Your bike numbers (if I'm reading them correctly) at IMUK showed an impressively smooth ride, did you do anything specific, or is it a case that once you can measure power you've got something concrete to work to.  

I knew bolton was a bit of a lumpy course so I rode some hills.  Where I am if I ride for about 45 minutes then the roads go quiet and I find myself in the Surrey Hills.  This was great for my training.  I just looked back at the last three long rides I did before IMUK to see if i could grasp anything (I couldn't) but this info may or may not be of any interest.

Just looking at the last few long rides before IM UK...

14 July - 3 weeks out I did a 127 miler! I hadn't planned for this. Myself and a few friends cycled down to Brighton. We didn't smash ourselves or anything, just had a good leisurely ride with plenty of chaingang drafting. Lots of fun. Just looking at the VI (variability index) figure for this (1.27!) shows that the ride was not ridden smoothly! That'll be because there was a group of us going easy/hard/easy/hard all the way. http://tpks.ws/Uu4S

A few days before that (Tuesday 9th July) I did a 102 miler on a hilly course in the surrey hills (on a hot day). This was a great ride. Coming off of the ride I didn't do any running (I could count the brick sessions I've done this year on one hand). http://tpks.ws/GGpE

Four days before that (Friday 5th July) I did a recce of the IM UK course. Just under 100 miles (three laps). I pushed hard (to hard) on the first lap and it made things tough later on. I remember stopping just for a few minutes rest on I think the final loop. When I got back to the hotel we were staying at I was absolutely shattered. But I loved the course and was looking forward to the big race. http://tpks.ws/a0vm

I really enjoy my bike rides and do 99% of them all on my own.  I love it this way.  If I get a puncture I'm not holding anyone up and the same applies if I'm with people and they get a puncture.  I can stop where I want for a wee/drinks/whatever and go easy or hard as I please.  I've never gone on a ride and said anything like "today will be a five hour ride with 2 hours in the middle at IM pace" - I just kinda go out, ride and push fairly hard (close to IM pace) for most of it.  I think I'm just lucky/jammy/whatever.  You'll see a couple of midweek rides in there as well - my work at the moment is fortunate (or unfortunate) that I'm not needed in an office every day.  I also try not to take the TT bike out in horrendous weather if I can help it!

Back to the more recent discussion on the thread - run wise the only time I think I ever do a double run day is if I run to parkrun, get there early and then run the 5k after a 20 minute brea

• Options

Funkin, come back! Stay away from the lights! Fuuuuunkiiiiiin!

• Options

Injury prone...?  

No i am just plain broken now.  The problem i have is remebering that. 

I did double runs for a few years and foumd it a nice technique..... but as for anything new take it slowly.  I dound it a better option than track work but then i did not have 20 years of solid runninf behind me.  

Overall just  do a good level of training consistemtly for 4 months then see how fit you are.  Then add big volume or intensity.... not both

• Options

Doh! Apparently there's a limit to the length of posts on here.  I shouldn't write so much.  Good job I don't try and post my race reports here then!  To continue...

"Back to the more recent discussion on the thread - run wise the only time I think I ever do a double run day is if I run to parkrun, get there early and then run the 5k after a 20 minute break.  I guess that doesn't count."

I think that's pretty much the last of my original post.

• Options

After my 8 mile run in to work yesterday with an old rucksack I had lying around.. I've woken up feeling like somebody used a sledgehammer on my back and shoulders.

Need to make a trip to buy a new one I think before starting to even think about double commute days!

• Options

I do a at least one double run per week and rarely run on consecutive days unless it's a brick (could be swim straight into run too) as a warm-up.

I've done a few triple run days as well. 

• Options

Getting into the longer distance stuff now. Did my longest pool swim yesterday swimming for an hour then doing 10x50s to bring it up to 4k. I ran to a new parkrun this morning today instead of biking/driving. Running 5k to win a parkrun and running back has something very satisfying about it image Planning a long bike for tomorrow.. What would be better.. long steady-fast group ride about 100k+ or a shorter ride by myself (60-70k) with something like 4 x 15 minutes hard thrown in halfway?

• Options

went out with one other for about 100k.. decent ride! that brings me up to about 15 hours of training this week.. not sure I can sustain that! maybe its just something to get used to? how much are others doing?

• Options

With a long ride, a bit of commuting, a couple of swims and some running I find it really easy to go into double figures.  I could probably do 20 hours training a week easily but it would have to be mostly easy.  It's about mixing with the hard with the easy I believe.  Not sure what kind of percentage mix you'd look for of each though....

This week I've managed to get in two bike rides of around 90k.  A bit of commuting, one swim and two (short) runs (as I'm not doing any long running yet) and I'm at just under 13 hours.  Pretty easily.  Come March when I'm doing long runs, bikes and swims I suspect the hours will be a little higher but there'll be more intensity as well - thus more tiring... but then again I should be a fair bit fitter so it shouldn't feel so bad.

In theory!

• Options

Can I wade in, running every day is a quick way to get your endurance up but so is cycling every day for at least 1hr on the turbo at threshold pace and doing your 3 main run sessions. Getting injured is very much dependant on your strength, flexibility, injuries that your already carrying etc etc 

if you can, the best way to maintain/increasing training levels is to get professional support. A trip to a good sports physio (even when your not injured) could save you loads of time spent on the injury bench and improve your performance. Especially for us oldies amongst us.

I try to go to the physio at least every 4/6 weeks and have done so for the past 2 years.

• Options

Physioterrorist already booked for tomorrow after a monster 3 days image

• Options
    1 hour at functional threshold is, by definition, the max you can do. Lactate threshold is lower, and aerobic threshold less sustainable still. Are you advocating sessions to failure every day, or are you defining threshold wrong?
  • Options

Engineer  lactate but obviously the further in the week you go the slower your going to be, so I would advise that you aim for 80% MHR and PRE 8/10. it will be a tough week but you do get good results especially if your returning after a lay off

• Options

I spent 2 months on/off the physio table with ITB injury at the start of the year. Overuse/not looking after myself was the issue. Since then I have, as you suggest, visited the physio periodically and it definitely helps. Also I've been doing a lot more leg strengthening, weekly yoga and weekly pilates. I've been training better than ever since taking those up.. touch wood

Regarding easy sessions, i've never really gotten into doing them.. with the exception of technique/recovery based stuff, its almost all medium or hard effort sessions that i do. I'd be worried that a long easy session wouldn't really help much and would detract from the higher quality sessions.. does that make sense at all? i can maybe see the benefit of getting comfortable with running for 2-3 hours even if its an easy pace.

• Options

Lots of thoughts over long easy sessions. Some say if you train slow you race slow, I think it depends on what you want to do, race or just finish. Advantage of the long easy session is knowing you can cover the distance. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

I favour harder cycling and easy running myself. You cant beat yourself up day after day. But I like i said before I do some of those sessions of 0.5M reps that Feag proposed, but they are more for strength and less about running fast. 

R Postie - 1hr turbo at 80% every day for a week ? my HR fluctuates day to day on the turbo (maybe cos I do it early mornings) but that would be very tough for me, not sure I could do 80% for an hour on one day let alone 7. I do struggle to get my HR up on the bike though at times.

• Options

TR that's why I put the perceived rate of exertion down as HR is so easily affected by other factors,if you aim for 8 on a scale of 1-10 then your there abouts. (if you can only manage to speak a couple of words at anyone time, then that's another bench mark for the session)  This is just a guide, until you get up in the morning you don't know how your going to feel. as for 7 days, sorry my mistake (I meant for a weeks training schedule, I'll be more exact next timeimage) you do need a rest day in the week to let the muscles repair.

• Options

I'm in a run focus at the moment so the majority of my cycling is easy paced. Where the schedule allows I throw in an functional threshold (4 x 10) turbo but this hasn't happened for a few weeks.
    That said even a long easy ride still has a fair amount of training stress.

Once the Feb HM is out the way I can move the focus on to bike and keep running on tick over.