Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

Another early morning swim where time ran out long before the plan provided by Mr Fink did.... image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

IM Wales for me with The Avenger HIM beforehand and LCW without the marathon as the taper / recovery will eat into valuable training.

Coming straight off the back of a busy marathon year ending with Snowdonia about 6 weeks ago, training hasn't really stopped.

Although working much more on swim and bike now, averaging about 6-8 sessions a week. An hour in the pool tonight followed by rest tomorrow.

• Options

4 days done on fink plan  bloody tough  cant wait for weekend  bike and run session.

Please tell me it gets easier??

• Options

time it does just remember to listen to your body and enjoy the rest day's when they happen. Nothing worth doing is easy mate.

• Options

longest I'm in for next year is the Weymouth half & this week I've done:

4 x early morning 1k pool swims.

1x 5K & 1x10K run.

2 x 1 hour turbo training sessions.

Now have eyes like Christopher Lee's Dracula & a sore ass, but other than that it's a good start. image  

• Options

Currently derailed by saddle sores. I'm fidgetting. image

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Currently derailed by saddle sores. I'm fidgetting. image

Have you considered wearing buoyancy shorts image

• Options

A couple of newbie questions if I may to you more experienced Finkers / Ironmen.

Firstly what is the best way that you can find your Max' HR? I have heard all the 220 minus age stuff but how accurate do you believe this is?

I am 37 (183) but regularly hit 188 when running hill sessions, does this make 188 my max? Or could I go higher on a proper test?

Secondly I am nervous about my bike speed, I have been cycling to aid run fitness for a while but never really paid any attention to mph. I naively thought my run fitness/stamina would transfer to the bike but I am struggling to push 16 mph on moderately hilly routes.

Is time on the bike the only way to improve this?

Would you recommend spin classes?

Any advice would be great, cheers in advance.

• Options

Esio

to find my max i find a short sharp hill around 50m warm up then run repeats as hard as you can with no rest between at some point your HR will peak and refuse to rise warning this is a tough session so allow some good recovery after

if you come from s running background IM is all about being strong on the bike so you have hot enough legs left to run a Mara

bike, bike and more bike is the keyimage

• Options

Esio

I note your doing Wales not only lots of bike but lots of hilly bikeimage You have a long time to go yet so get started now and build it up nice and steady to keep injuries at bay

• Options

timebikes - if you are following Fink and you have only been doing it for four days, are you sure that you are following it correctly?  If I remember rightly, as it's a 30 week plan, the first few weeks are all very, very easy.  They are all in zone 1 or 2.  Zone 1 is barely breaking a sweat pace.  If you're doing the sessions working in zones which are higher then this, then you may be tired because you are working too hard.  What do you think?

• Options

Cake, I disagree
    If you are following Fink now and asking does it get easier, the answer is no ... unless you have started at week 20 and are working backwards.

and what she said above   image

• Options

Yep a steady progression into lots of time training if you are finding it tough in week 1 you may have seriously underestimated the time, commitment and general level of knackeredness you are going to be in forimage

Had to sack my swim as i had to head in the opposte direction to get some bike bits so ran insteadimage

• Options

Bit of a slack week for me so far, after a loooooooong bike ride on Tues day I have managed an a couple of swims and a 6km tempo run. looking forward to a long ride on Sunday if my thighs ever stop hurting.

• Options

Slow, steady progress continues. Three slow runs this week, pilates session this morning and a spin session this evening. 

Not sure why spin makes me angry but it does; severa drivers got sworn at on the way home and the cats got a right earful for getting under my feet when I got there image

On the plus side, my quads/ITB have held up well so hopefully now fully recovered and getting stronger image

• Options

Cheers Ridgeback it's exactly that bike profile that is worrying me

• Options

i've been polaxed by a head cold. I can't remember the last time I had a cold that felt this bad, glands like conkers in my neck and Rudolph's red raw nose image

• Options

Esio I loved the Wales bike course its tough as old boots but so scenic, i live in Cornwall so am used to hills but i still did a lot of em in training, i also did a lot of stuff pushing a big gear with a faitly slow turnover and rode my fixie a lot all to build strong legs on the day the course wasnt a problem, get stuck in prepare properly and by race day that profile will not be a problemimage

Rest day today so stripped and rebuilt my Surly Steamroller its now a 5 speed hub geared cyclo crosser image

• Options

Bad news - I sprained my ankle and wrist on Wednesday night, 20min into a run. I think I would have got good points for the tumble roll.

Good news - Still swollen but I feel good. I managed to do a good 40mile bike ride today and will give a short run a go tomorrow. Right now pretty pleased that recovery time.

Training this last week not great only 3 bike sessions,2 Turbo & 1 outdoors but bike is my priority at the moment so not complaining.

Esio, this is my second campaign,first was IMW 11. My bike was slow 7h30 and it is a tough course but I made it through steady progression starting in January and dropping off big time in the last 6 weeks. Consistency every week and continuous build over the months...(my own experience) don't try do too much too soon. Physical And/OR mental burnout are the danger.

RBM- I see you have ants in your pants...its a rest day he says...so before 9h30 his stripped and rebuilt his fixie bike (I had to look that up).

I went out in my new gloves and overshoes for the first time today but loved it. It was great going back over an old route I used to do and remembering little things like where I had first 'gone aero' with clipons.

• Options

Just been out and banged out an hour on the bike at my fastest ever time.... 19.1mph, so heading  backwards for some on here... but bloody quick by my low standards!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

CL its deffo a rest day laid in till 5:45 (usually up at 5 at the latest) rebuilt bike, cleared ironing for maximum brownie points with Mrs RBMimage cleared and tidied the garden (more brownie points) hoovered ( shed load of brownie points) Mrs RBM got woken with brekkie in bed at 11 (points have gone through the roof) chilled this afternoon as we went to freinds for lunch and beer . Knackered now looking forward to taking nice shiney looking Surly Bugger for a long ride tomorrowimage

Hope the ankle sorts itself

• Options

5.45??? !!!!!    Weirdo

• Options

I'll be leaving for work at that time tomorrow !

• Options

I'm trying to get a good base with consistent training at the moment then as soon as Xmas is over the real serious stuff begins including double training days. 

Nervous & excited at the same time.

I'm doing the big one in Bolton, my first full ironman distance, I did Challenge Henley half this September.

Absorbing all tips, ideas and do nots like a sponge....image

• Options

Yay this week i did some easy riding.

No running as i am a bit broken

No hard biking -see above

No swimming as i cba

No gym work as i had other things to do image

Need to find my mojo under the xmas tree image

• Options

Esio

Spin classes are ok but riding outside or on a turbo os better.  However if its a spin class or nothing then a spin class wins

Im currenlty doing a couple a week (for variation) .  Most instructors dont have a clue about biking so ignore the jumps and super slow riding or super fast 'sprints'with no resistance..  If you dont do it on a bike outside dont do it in a spin class.

Keep the resistance high and use it as a fun hard tempo session.  Most classes get you riding at 60-70rpm (too slow) as thats the beat of most music so ypu end up climbing a lot.  Also feel free to stay seated as most spinnera get bored if they sit more than 2 minutes.

Use a hr and ride at an effort level you want..... ie i use 1class as a tempo keeping hr at about 150ish  and hammer the second As an interval session.  I normally also do 1 hard turbo session a week as well.   

I ususally tack on before/after as indoor riders are unable to ride more than 45 minutes

Re heart rate - google friel heart rate functional tests to set your hr zones 1-5.  You need to do 30 min max effort tests in both running and cycling to give you a hr you can sustain for 30 mins (160 is for me) then plug into some tables /% calulations to get z1, z2, z3 etc.

I ended up with a biking z1- 129

Z2 129-140

Z3 140ish to 155 

I did long rides at 130 average. Easy for an hour, tough after 4.  Once you can ride long add in z2 sections for an hour at a time.

Remember you are training to exercise for 12 hours plus and you cant do that at a hr of 160.

• Options

Oh my running zones were about 10 bpm above my biking zones.  Long run hr was about 130-145 for me...   i eneed up using a mafetone hr for r unning in the end -143 hr cap for all my runs (till later when you start adding in some intervals to that).

Enjoy

• Options

Thanks for the info OC, have spent the morning working out zones etc. image

• Options

Are you in a low emission zone? image