Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

Think it's time for another massage.  My quads are still protesting after Sunday's efforts image

• Options

Thanks for the advice.

Went to the pool this morning because couldn't make open water last night, it was so boring............

Glad to see some nice weather for some big training at the weekend

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

San Diego this week, hello sunshine.  Had some lovely runs along the harbour before the heat really builds, Tuesday's after work swim in the hotels outdoor, unheated 25 metre pool was horrific.  The water was so hot it was unbearable, 60 minutes and 3km later I thought I was going to hurl, not through exhaustion, just the heat, horrible, sorry to those of you swimming in Pennington Flash or the North Sea!

Looking forward to being back to normal at the weekend.

• Options

Lovely bike ride in the sun, so nice I even wore my pirate top for the first time this year. It's usually just saved for events. Shouldn't really have gone as my left calf isn't right and it's worse now but the weather was too good to not go and I've no regrets (that may be different if it doesn't fix quickish). It'll be an easy weekend though.

• Options

Open water was an absolute treat last night... really enjoyed it.... and looking forward to a slightly longer run this evening than I have been doing, as my leg seems to be pretty good now.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Great to read what everyone has been doing, feeling very inferior.

First longer bike ride coming up sunday - 70 miles in what I hope is great weather for a change.

Enjoy the training everyone.image

• Options

Just back from my first open water swim of the year at pennington flash

water temp was fine and plenty of people up there

i have found out garmin 910 doesn't work when doing breast stroke

• Options

Hooray definately back on track 80 undulating miles on the TT bike then an hours very hilly run loop felt strong and pretty fresh all the wayimage

I have a had a few weeks of being real fatigued absolutely empty so i have cut the intensity of my sessions back but kept the volume up and am feeling much better a classic case of overtraining and its not like i am new to this IM gameimage

• Options

lovely park run and then a swim in the dive quarry.10 degrees is a bit cold even for me though....although great fun to see the divers below you exploring........

yesterdays swim in the usk was at 15 degrees...........but the flow made it extremely tough........

about 57 mins upstream and 10 mins back

• Options
    Went out last night. Long run day has turned into hang over day. Oh well.
  • Options

Planning to do my first OW swim of the season on Monday - figured if I say it on here then there's less chance of me wimping out! image

• Options

I'm having a well earned rest day tomorrow...will be marshalling at a race..might take a chair with me image

• Options

Had a fab OW this morning. Water temp was great, recorded my best swim time for a long while and it all felt wonderfully easy image

• Options

Max that is good news

i am feeling surprisingly chipper following a 15 mile run yesterday !!

• Options

Trogs that's awesome!!

• Options

Cheers Meldy, just need to achieve the same for the other bits

• Options

Tell me about it, although it all seems to be coming good at the mo for you ?

• Options

having a good swim though helps the rest of the day go better

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    After a week away with work at a hotel with an empty pool in a city where I had to stop to cross a road every 200m it was good to get back on track with a good 70 miles on the bike today, lovely weather, tan lines sharpening up nicely.
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

Tell me about it, although it all seems to be coming good at the mo for you ?

Bike's still slow but distance is ok-ish. As for the run ... well, I did a 'long' run of 4 miles yesterday!   The swim's always been the easy bit for me

• Options

Did 1 lap of the Ironman bike course with Sheep House done twice

65 miles in total, i will try and get a report of the course done later on today

• Options

82 miles on the bike today.

I'm finally starting to believe that I can finish this thing!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Went out today on the bike after a very dodgy stomach last night after getting blind drunk Friday. Felt tired, flat, weak and fat. Six hours slogged on the bike. But it was slow. I'm pleased I didn't just turn the alarm off this morning but annoyed with myself for not being more sensible. I think massive Friday nights out need to avoided for the next 9 weeks. Going to try a week off the booze and see how the long ride goes next week......
  • Options

Well done Magna.

Olympic tri with a difference today. A choppy swim followed by 2 of the Lake Distict mountain passes on the bike and straight up a mountain for a 10km fell run! Felt surprisingly good so the training is paying dividends. Also inspired by meeting Chrissie Miles/Wellington the night before after she gave a very informative talk.

• Options
    You must have been at the same talk as me then tricoops

I did a bit of spectating in Keswick this morning and just had a gentle run round the lake
  • Options

Dave, you should have done the Keswick Long Tri this morning. Really good challenging route. The wind made it especially hard over Newlands Pass. Lots of enthusiastic support at the top of Honister as well as at the finish.

Did the run round the lake last weekend. That has a few decent hills but is fantastic scenery.

• Options

Ironblue.......if the drinking wipes you out for the whole weekend.then i think it is time to chuck tit for a few monthsimage

enjoying my rest day.....walked 3 miles this morning for my marshalling point.but apart from that been lazy.even sleeping in the garden this afternoon in my bikini trying to get rid of some of my comedy lines.......need a few more days like this if its going to work........

• Options

I was going to have a nice easy weekend and then the sun shone! We were away, staying near Bray Lake (possibly now my favourite OW venue) and so it'd have been rude not to go and have a play. Yesterday I did 1.2km but today I was in the water before 7am with beautiful weather and about 3 other people in the lake - it got quite a lot busier later - and I swam 4.4km, possibly the furthest I've ever swam in one go.

To finish my easy weekend off I had a nice bike ride meandering round a route I normally time myself on followed by a little T2 at home and a brick run. Shame I've got work tomorrow.

• Options
    Racing didn't fit in with my plans, only arrived just in time for the theatre

We regularly run round the lake, and of course do the Derwentwater 10 every November
  • Options

I've had a pretty crap week. I've been feeling completely knackered and have only managed about 11 hours this week after doing 16 last week image. Did an 8 mile run this morning and an old hip injury has resurfaced which hasn't helped my mood.