Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

John, I don't think anyone would argue - you certainly deserve a single number bib next year!

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hi Fish, you may know. What was the blue arch with the mat a few meters shy of the finish for?
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

not sure to be honest - nothing to do with TV, I know that much. It did catch a handful of runners out who stopped there instead of the red arch, but Matt & Steve (the commentators on the day) didn't mention why it was there (and I didn't think to ask at the time). I assumed it was just extra branding - Brooks are one of the sponsors so perhaps it was a concession to them? If I hear about another reason, I'll pass it on!

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Cheers Fish, intrigued as it looked like it had a timing mat as well.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Looks like it comes down on to the road between the blue arch and the red arch. Or where I think I remember the blue arch was anyway!
  • Options

Stu I'm definitely in for the big house. Thanks for pursuing on our behalf once again. image

I noticed the early arch as well and assumed it might have been a pre-warning / confirmation / back-up for the timing system just in case one of them doesn't register correctly?

• Options

Hey gang, back from the depths of a very windy and wet Waunfawr. Great to see the forum warming up nicely again! Bimbled a 19 miler yesterday along the Menai Straits (no hills) before setting off for home last night.

I think I heard the announcer saying in Welsh that they had something in place linked to your chip to allow the announcer to call out your name as you were approaching the finish. I don't know if that was why there seemed to be an extra timing mat.

So, forthcoming events then

Chimney- Clowne Half, nice oneimage

Brer Spooky Pumpkin marathon, Goathland marathon, Autumn Shakespeare, Hell of a Hill marathon, Double maravan marathons, Broadmeadows marathon. Well, that's November sorted!

• Options

Anybody fancy a little certificate of their achievement on Saturday   http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftrack.rtrt.me%2Fe%2FTDL-SNOWDM-2014%23b%3Dna%26v%3Dptrack&h=IAQFI4a4s                                                   Hope that works! Just print the table of your results and it turns it into a certificate.

• Options

Oops, just tried it. It's linked to mine so just ignore thatimage  but I assume you can put a new name in and get your own!

• Options

Makes no sense but running another marathon on Tuesday and a 2km swim early doors today has got my legs back to 'normal' image Nineteen to go image

• Options
    I realise that asking folk to commit to accommodation so far in advance is probably not going to happen. Chimney, TRex and Britnick - the house caters for 16 so a bit of a risk at this stage to book and lay down a deposit.

Let's see if anyone else is keen between now and Saturday. I'll book it if we can get at least half the rooms filled. So please let me know if you want in? It's a great house right on the high street with everything you need and for a great price.
  • Options
    See my earlier post for full details
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Let's take the risk, Stu, and book it.  Might have to do some hard selling nearer the time!  But look at all the people who were stuck for accommodation and asking about it on the 2014 thread?

You could perhaps give a rundown on the types of rooms if you have access to that info?

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Brer - enjoy Spooky and Halloween image

FR - glad your recovering sensibly image

I'm slowing discovering the fun to be had with a headtorch and trail running though the first time i did get slightly freaked out when i had moths flying at my face closely following by a bat trying to catch them for tea image

• Options

I agree with T Rex, book it. I bet Sir John a Lot will join us too. Sir John?

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Afternoon gang!

right target for 2015 is sub 3:45. Training *IS* going to go right this year!

do we have a thread started for the 2016 double?

Not been for a run yet, but legs have been feeling ok since Tues. Went for a rather cold swim in Llyn Padarn yesterday whilst Mr Panad and Flo went kayaking followed by lunch in Y Pantri - great end to a good week image
  • Options

I walked past the pantry the night before the race but looked more of a dinner venue than just for coffee so gave it a miss hence did not meet any of you BUT I do like the idea of the house in the high street- so if you want to risk sharing with someone you have never met then count me in!

I stayed at the royal Victoria this time and was going to book again but this sounds a better option- possibly for my wife as well as a spectator? And do they take dogs? we may take our Weimaraner next year?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I could bring my collie?

It is a risk, running eye.  Your life might be forever changed!

I stayed in the house I think it was three years ago with Nicola Q and Andrea B and families.  I think BritNick was lurking in there as well.

• Options
    Yes pets (and wives!) are allowed at Halford Hill image and children. I'll investigate further today in terms of the rooms. It's likely that you only fill with 16 if you have the right combination of couples sharing a double bed. We should therefore work on the principle of getting 12-14 people max. This would work out at ??100 each for the weekend (three nights). I may even take the Monday off too so I can benefit from the Sunday night. Will need the extra time to recovery from my 2:58image

Re the double 2016 thread I'm not sure I have the attention span to maintain the focus for two years.
  • Options

ok gang. i've plunged head first into debt image Its booked! And the bonus is that 7 nights was the same price as 3! So we have the house from 23 Oct - 30 Oct, so if folk would like to extend their stay and get into the mountains during the week they can image

No need to send me any money yet. Lets let the dust settle until the end of the year and see who commits. But so far we have:

USD & Mrs UDS + mini UDS x 2

Chimney & Mrs C + 2 hairy friends

TRex + 1 hairy friend

Britnick

running eye

Rogie & Mrs Rogie (maybe)

• Options
    Loved the sunday walk tale T rex! Most of us were hobbling about on sunday, not fighting with the elements on a mountainside!

Think I've got the marathon bug now, will be doing a local one next month and more next year(not quite as many as brer!). Would love to get to the standard to be able to do the 'Double Snod'!
  • Options
    UDS put me and my wife plus doggie as a maybe for now please.

We are in Madeira at the moment and will look to confirm things when back home-

I will keep my eye on the list but understand you will take definates over maybe's

Thanks
  • Options

UDS, will be staying at my usual haunt but thank you anyway for going to all that effort and putting the offer out. May be we could have post run drinkies there. I'd be up for getting food and stuff sorted.

Running Eye, sorry you didn't feel you could pop in for a chat-next year!

Chrissi, thank you for good wishes. However, good sense regarding my on- going cold and OH having an operation yesterday meant I decided to do just the one todayimage 2nd lady but it is such a tough course psychologically I can never get a very good time. But, deed is done  NUMBER 40 of 2014image  Thud! I need a beer now!

• Options
    No problem running eye. Will do. Come on Brer Rabbit treat yourself to a bit of luxuryimage post-race drinks a certainty!
  • Options

I think I'd rather do quad-snowdonia than one of TRex' walks!

• Options
    Brer - hope your OH is ok love that your idea of sensible is just the one marathon image

Me and Mr C did 10 miles this morning decided to go road rather than trail are C thought it might be a good idea as we have Conwy in a couple of weeks and haven't done much road running. I'd forgotten how msuch time you have to think about crap on the road much prefer having to concentrate on the trail and switch the crazy bit of my head off.
  • Options

Hi all,

Cheers UDS, looks like we'll be ok for numbers given there's still so long to go! And no need to get home so a wander with T Rex is on the cards image

Running Eye, Pantri is open to all, looking forward to seeing you in there next year.

Brer, best wishes to OH. Only 40? Been taking it easy?

Chrissi, road is two legs, trail is four image

Had a week of children. Mrs C and my 'children' have always been of the 4 legged variety. I'm ok to wind them up for a few hours and walk away, Mrs C would prefer to just walk away! 

I suppose I made a rod for myself by playing with them with full gusto on those occasions when I've seen them. Going full bore with them day after day was absolutely knackering. Doing a double SNOD a day would be easier. I have a new found respect for parents. Consequently my running has taken a back seat this week. 

They went this morning so managed to get out this afternoon. Nothing much, a 10k route from Longshaw, along Burbage South & North, over Higger Tor to Surprise View and back over to Longshaw. It did include some rough paths, mud, heather bashing, a bit of ascent, and glorious views. I hope I never take living close to the Peak District for granted.

Legit round Lathkil next w/end, S.Yorks XC at Doncaster the weekend after and Clowne Half the weekend after that, (Same day as Mrs C's Birthday. Oops....). 

• Options

Cheers for best wishes for OH, he is in full grumpy depressed mode because op was not conclusive and we may need a repeat scenario. It isn't a major serious illness but does have massive impact when you are self employed.

Chrissi, with you on the off road joy. I'm off to Goathland for Hardmoors marathon this weekend and cant wait. Brutal but beautiful!

Chimney, we really must plan a run over your way. It is so close to me yet I never think of having a trot around thereimage. Treat the missus to pie and chips at Clowne Miners Welfare-that should do it!

Well, off on a lovely school residential tomorrow. Brilliant stuff, abseiling, caving, night walking, BMXing. Oh, I have to take children? Really?image Here's to 72 hrs with very little sleep!!

• Options

Have fun with the residential, Brer.  Where do you go?  Our school goes to a place called Standon Bowers near Stone and, coincidentally, I did a 10 mile race that started outside the Centre today.  Lots of great memories image

Great to see everyone recovering so well from Snod.  Don't know if I will do another Snod - enjoying doing shorter events and trying to work on improving speed a bit.  But, who knows, come January? image