Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2015

1343536373840»

Comments

• Options

Oh no, Can K9-Rex not find the keys for you? Are you sure you haven't hidden them so you can go up Snowdon again but this time via Crib Goch?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

image  Mrs T R did go on a long walk around L Padarn after last using the car and she felt they could have dropped out of her pocket.  So I went out with the sniffer dog all around the same route this afternoon to no avail.  Mrs T R did say she lost the path in the woods at one point and had to blunder through undergrowth before finally emerging on The L Padarn Railway tracks.  Impossible to know where she went.

This 'long walk' sounds like one loop of your brutal tri, panad.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Crib Goch does await I have to admit.  Not sure about taking Archie up there, though.

• Options

I made into the S4C highlights. Not as perhaps hoped striding majestically down one of the downhill sections (having spotted the camera obviously) but in the end of show montage of ppl buggering over or looking suitably shattered. There's a couple of seconds of me crying (bearded man in red). i s'pose at least it proves I was there. I've employed an agent (my 4 year old daughter) to deal with the offers that my new found fame will bring. I already have an offer to re-open the local Happy Shopper after it's refit.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

CaeRas - I think I know you.  Do you (or did you used to?!) work in Cambridge?  I do as well, on a seasonal basis. More than this I cannot say on a public forum.  You can get my name with a bit of detective work from my race day list on this thread and searching the official results (which is how I got yours).

I didn't know you ran marathons - but then again perhaps you didn't until Saturday! -  nor indeed were a runner.

Now to look at that section on catch-up TV ...

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yep, CaeRas - pretty certain.

That's a classic montage - you should be proud of yourself being on it.  At least that wasn't you crawling across the line!

• Options

Yep, see you Sat Brer for some more lunacy! What better way to cope with the post SNOD blues than "running" a couple of marathons eh?!

TR, Hope you have managed to get things sorted out and have successfully  escaped Llanberis. Another tale for the book though?!

CaeRas, saw you on the highlights. Top time by the way, well done. I take it that won't be your last marathon?? 

• Options

T Rex now you have me intrigued.  I'll have a look at the results page now.

Not a runner at all as I always said my knees wouldn't last.  Ran the Gt East Run 2 years ago in memory of my mate and then the Gt South 2 wks later and that is it. 

Lazy Greyhound - good question.  I would love to run Snowdonia again but the thought of the training runs is putting me off (this week anyway!). A flat marathon would be interesting too to see what time i could do.  We shall see!

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    well done everyone!

Brer - were you staying at bryn gloch again? Always think of you at that point, and how hard it would be, if having a bad day, to keep going knowing your bed was a few metres away!

Hope you managed to get home now TRex!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It's been a logistic nightmare trying to get my car, family, and dog home.  Still here in Llanberis at the moment but hope to be heading home tomorrow (Thursday).  Car will take 7-10 working days to repair.

• Options

Sorry to hear about the lost keys, T Rex, but why does the car need repairing as well?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Seven new locks (doors, hatch, filler cap, and ignition), two new keys, and the difficult bit is re-programming the car.

We are now actually all home now!  Saw my car being towed away this morning as I was coming back from a dog walk up the hill just to the north of the SNOD grassy descent route.

It took them an hour to get the car out of the SNOD house drive!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've got to say how thoroughly enjoyable this longest stay in Snowdonia was (including an enforced extra two days!).

Staying at the SNOD house with such good people was inspirational and fun. We had some good craic going.  Thanks a lot, folks.  You're legends.  Especially Andrea B who had to put up with T Rex and co for an unexpected two extra days, which I spent mostly working image

Despite the limited amount of refreshments available the post-race drinks was a good night out.

I've managed to see a lot more of the area than usual, including a circuit of Llyn Padarn, three walks up the marathon route towards Bwlch y Groes (recces for the 2016 night section!!?!), two ascents of Snowdon going up and down by four different routes including one difficult descent down Cwm Glas Bach, as well as numerous shorter walks, all accompanied by my collie.

The marathon, as we all know, was epic. 

• Options

T Rex glad you are home now

Yes we do know each other.  It is a small world.  Look forward to a chat about the race when you are next down Cambridge way.  Would be interested to hear of other events your recommend.

By the way I hesitate to ask everyone this but did I imagine a lad playing a trombone by the road near the top of Bwlch y Groes? Having run all the hill I may have been hallucinated but I was giggling away at the absurdity of it nevertheless and the fact he sounded like he was playing a mangled but rather apt version of the Last Post!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I thought as much!  Can't be many folks with your name.  What a coincidence to meet on here.

A good place to do some trombone practice!  I should have stopped to give him a few tips.

Well, I had practically stopped anyway by that point.

• Options

Well late in catching up with the post race comments. What an inspiration you all are!  I managed 5hrs 58secs so I'm claiming 5hrs!  Great time out there but found a lot of people overtaking me on hills.  Loved the downhills where I managed to make up time.  Jog/walk up from Waunfawr worked well, so thanks for the tip Lazy G.  Absolutely flew down last descent, singing all the way.  Sorry if I splashed you as I ran through the standing water.  Managed to stay on my feet, which many didn't.  Knocked 10 minutes off last year's time so well pleased with that.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Come in, Fenland Runner.  How was your marathon?  You don't seem to be #100 in the results, unless you got round in about 3:30!!

Any other news from anyone?

• Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

I missed out on my 3:25 target by 5 mins and finished in 3:30.

I was doing OK until Waunfawr, when cramp and tiredness cost me nearly 4 mins over the last 4 miles. I had a cold, not sure if that affected me or not. And Hoka Clifton's were not the best for the descent! After the 4th fall I decided to reign in the gung-ho approach and opted for a bit more caution. I got a bit cold just after climbing out of Beddgelert - went to get a gel but couldn't open the zip as my hands were numb.

I tried salt tablets this year to help with cramp but it made no difference. I am wondering if training mainly on trails is not getting my legs used to the pounding of the road? Had to stop at mile 24 to stretch my hamstrings.

I ended up featuring 3 times on the TV. Coming down from PYP, falling sequence on the descent viewed from behind and finally a scary cramp pain close up right at the end (wearing white vest with black and red side stripes).

A great day out though as ever image

• Options
    Well as usual, it was good to see some of you at the Pantri getting fed and watered pre and post marathon.

And as always, I get the urge to enter the following year, well, let's see how the staffing goes next season and who knows.

SS
  • Options

I really enjoyed it again this year. It was good to meet up with so many friends again and get to climb Snowdon on Sunday and take the Electric Mountain tour on Monday.

I wasn't too surprised to get my second slowest time in 10 with 4:26:09 gun time considering I hadn't run Round Rotherham the week before, so the body had forgotten what proper running's all about. A 13.5 mile fell run and parkruns in the lead-up simply can't cut the mustard. I'll be back to normal next year with the Round Rotherham again.

Checking my statistics I suffered the usual monstrous positive split - 1:57:01 first half and 2:29:08 second half. I lost 403 places between 13 miles and 23 miles (where I always lose them) and gained 81 from 23 miles to the finish (where I always gain). I still bear the scabs and scars from the first fall on the final descent.

I hardly took any photos on the day but what I did take is here.

Roll on next year.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Great pics, BN.  Lots of apprehensive-looking people at the start. And well they might.

Latest on the car is that it is going to take a minimum of 3 weeks.  I told them I'm sure Skoda could make a whole car in less time than that, including locks and keys.

Hint for the future: make sure never down to one key, and have a courtesy car on the insurance policy ...

I'll just have to run everywhere.

• Options

Apologies for any confusion in resurrecting this thread but need to get last year put to rest. After a dreadful year both personally and work wise training for snod took a back seat with longest runs at 13 miles (Windsor and Cardiff halfs). Week before I woke up hardly able to move neck thankfully that eased and  I decided to head off to LLlanberis knowing I wouldn't be going for a pb. Just wanted to get something positive under my belt, which I did even though was a whole hour slower than average. Going to be a long haul to get fitness back ready for Snod 2016 but as they say a set back is a set up for success.