Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Chimney - putting it in black and white just scares me image 

RJ - glad your marathoning again

JD - glad your mended

Well just typical Conwy is on Sunday so last night I started sniffling and today i have sinus head arrrhhhhh image I refuse to be ill

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    ahhh Chrissi - throw the contents of a medicine cabinet down you throat along with a hot toddy! Fingers crossed you're better by Sunday.
  • Options

Hi Guys,,can anyone give me some  advise regarding transport, accommodation, to and from the race. Travelling via train to Bangor then I assume taxi/bus to Llanberis? Im more concerned about after the event regarding  a way back to Bangor, as  it will be easier travelling home on a Saturday. Any other options regarding rooms if I decide to stay locally?

Thanks

• Options

Hello Team, glad to see plans are in place for 2015image

Jono, well done on the PB buddy...how many maras are you up to now in year of madness?

Yeh Chimney, a good thrash in mud does you good. Good luck at Clowne, I would join you but am elsewhere!

Marathon 42 of the year passed by without too much issue. Autumn Shakespeare on Saturday. I was very careful due to recent scare so bimbled around a very flat course in 3.40 mins, could have been at least 10-15 mins faster I reckon but care was required!  This weekend takes me to numbers 43 and 45, a back to back in sunny Cleethorpesimage

Chrissi..Echinacea and loads of vit drinks. If you aren't coughing, don't worry about-you'll be fine. Are you at Conwy Panad?

Dave, as it is a Saturday, there are regular buses straight back to Bangor.

• Options

Cheers Chrissi & McHilly - unexpected and a long time coming.  CTS events are definitely not PB events, but they are great for hills and mud in spectacular surroundings.  Entry is on the steep side financially, so I usually limit myself to one per year. 

Well done on number 42 Brer - sometimes safety is better. Mine was #45 for the year, but nothing this weekend due to family birthdays and parties. Then 5 in 9 days at the end of November/beginning of December, and just keeping everything crossed for a smooth ride through that...

• Options

Does anyone know roughly when entries will open?

• Options

Midnight 31st December Robzzz

Good stuff RJ & br. All the best with the rest of the races - 5 in 9 days!!!??? Bonkers!

My legs were not happy with me doing the Betws trail race so soon after Snowdonia. Not helped by the heavy fall I had going across a wooden walk way - carried on to the finish, but I haven't run since - looks like I've badly bruised near the top of my tibia bone. Unfortunately not the best timing for me as I was due to make my Welsh debut in the Masters XC event in Nottingham on Saturday.

• Options

Not much happening here, just ticking over. Had my first proper run since SNOD at the weekend with a 12 miler at dusk up from my house with a near 1000ft climb through various woods, up the Limb Valley, across Houndkirk Hill and back through the woods. Brilliant running up there as it goes dark. Can be pitch black and then at certain points you can be 1,300 foot up on a rough trail and Sheffield comes into view beneath you with the glow of the street lights.

The revamped Sheffield Half Marathon route was just announced and it's very similar to the first half of SNOD with a 5 mile climb up to 1100ft (very close to Houndkirk Moor where I ran the other night) followed by almost continuous downhill to the 13 mile mark. Check out the profile. Feel duty bound to give this one a go

http://theyorkshiremarathon.com/media/37261/screen_shot_2014-11-18_at_14.26.51_497x190.jpg

Next up for me though 10k PB attempt at the Percy Pud in December.

• Options

Run Jono, are you marathoned out yet? I think I am, everything is falling apart. My mind, my body and sanityimage. Should hit 49 by midnight on New Years Eve, Ultra on New Years Day then it will just have to be 2 a month next year.

John Bach..man up boyo, thrash it. Oh, perhaps you have more respect for your body than Jono and I have.

Inside Forward, looks interesting route. Seems very different from usual one.

• Options

I'm not sure I can tell any more, Brer.  Most of my friends and relatives think I lost my sanity some time ago, and I know my body has been through the mill.  I had been thinking that one day I'd attempt a 10 in 10 or similar, but given how my left VM quad reacted a couple of months ago I might re-evaluate that one.  For that reason I will not be running fast at any point over the next five marathons as I want to complete them all intact.  My thighs are still a bit sore from Sunday, so I guess I was actually going reasonably fast (for me) for most of that run.  It gives me hope that I can refocus my challenge to getting my PB down a bit having finally broken it, although something tells me I'll need to do rather more short speed work (don't like the sound of that - I much prefer just rocking up to a marathon and bimbling round image ).  Someone I've met a few times through the course of the year thinks I should try a 100 miler soon, but T-Rex's experiences are a rather sobering reality check to that too. 

Cheers JB - I hope your leg recovers quickly.  I'm not sure either Brer or I are best placed to give advice on taking it easy though!!

IF - looks interesting, and worthy of a SNOD training run...

• Options

brer - if I could run I would, although would have been mindful (& respectful) that if I had have been able to run but nowhere near my best it would not have been fair on the team and, in particular, the reserve(s) who, like me, would have done anything to wear the red vest!?

• Options

Some great running going on as usual.  Congrats on your latest run, Brer.   A clubmate of mine was at Shakespeare - he won't mind me saying that he's 72 years old and that was his 11th out of 12 marathons this year!!  He reckoned Snod was easier (at least, on the mind!).

Did the Broadway trail half last weekend.  Fab event - organised by Cotswold Running, who (although a commercial setup) do a great job imho - and pleased with time of 2:40.  Main positive though, was that I had no aches or pains afterwards .... must be fitter than I give myself credit for!!

Enjoy the weekend - looks like it could be wet image

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    No Conwy half for me this year, it's a great event I'd love to get back there soon....

How are you doing Chrissi?

Good luck to those of you doing more mad things this weekend!
  • Options

Jono..100 miles...thud. Not for me, that I feel may be one challenge too many. Heads down and achieve the target for the year!

John, fair point if it involves another individual's entry. Good luck on recovery though, what is your next challenge?

SD, I agree totally with your clubmate. Total groundhog event at Shakespeare, nothing to look at except lengths of airfield but it was flat and not windy. Oh well, that is the positives done!image   Now, if I were to start the superlatives about Snod...

Well done on Broadway, I don't know how I missed that one in my schedule. It sounds fab.

Panad, hi! How's renovations going?

Trex, where are you buddy? Are you lost somewhere on the Brecon Beacons?

• Options
    Hi all. Reason for post is to big up the new Tring Park Run. I run it last Saturday and it's an awesome course. Think Parkrun but much much angrier and on steroids and you have an idea of how tough the course is. So if you are fairy local to Hertfordshire and fancy a new park run then do check it out.

I'll be there again this Saturday to try and better my time.

But to get the debate going who else does park run out there? I think it's a sure-fire way to improve your speed and get your marathon times down!!
  • Options

Thanks brer - made appointment with GP for next Thursday, although I'm still hopeful that it might have improved by then - I understand bruised bones can take a while to heal. If it's no better by next Thursday I'll ask the GP (who I know has done a few races, so I'm hoping he'll be sympathetic!) to just refer me - I've got BUPA cover through work, so hopefully that will speed things up if needs be. No plans/targets until I'm 100%, although one of my goals next year were the World trail champs which are being held down the road from me in Betws-y-Coed

• Options
    Knocked 45 seconds off my Tring PR time image always a nice way to kick off the weekend.
  • Options

Well done stu!   parkrunner here too...was race directing ours this morning so no run...although Jason d was trying to talk me into a hilly trail run of somewhere over 20 miles tomorrow !   

• Options

I'm alive - took all of your advice re vitamins, medicine cabinets and hot toddys and rested so will definately make the start line - thanks.  Going to leave my Garmin at home and just bimble around at whatever pace happens and enjoy a nice run by the seaside.image

JB - hope your injury heals quickly

• Options
    Uds, can't get motivated by a Park Run..suppose I ought to give one a go.

John Bach, I suspect I have a similar injury but am currently ignoring it ???? Chrissi,enjoy my favourite half marathon,love it! My back to back marathon weekend has started well,first lady.Weather forecast for tomorrow is grim,will be fun????
  • Options

Clowne HM today quite a nice race with very good marshals and great flapjack. 

I have only done 1 speedwork session in build up and that was only last week before that it was mainly fell running and snod prep. 

A reasonabily hilly HM about 600ft climb most of that between mile 8 and 12, was hoping for sub 1:25 thought I would get a rather large positive split but was pleased with 41:00 and 41:30 for a PB of 1:22:30- felt strong at the end, endurance from Snod training obviously helped- need to do some speed work now in prep for next year.

UDS will get into the parkruns during winter agree they should be a great way to work on speed

• Options

Blimey Running Eye, that's a cracking time for Clowne as it is a bit hilly. Well doneimage

My final marathon of the weekend resulted in 2nd lady and first lady overallimage

Chrissi, how did you get on?

• Options

Well done Brer, back to back marathons sound tough, to do that and to win is brilliant, congrats 

• Options

imageBrer - wow

Conwy was gorgeous I plodded in happily at 2.26 having had a lovely time.  Wasn't brilliant up to start I'd completely blocked up, the loo queue was huge (they really need to look at having a lot more in future) and the start was a bit chaotic.  The first couple of miles were messy as I alternated between blocked and snot and I was finding breathing hard so did think I'd have to walk the Orme but my friend stayed with me and we'd got chatting to a couple in the same facebook group as me so I didn't get chance to worry about it.  The route out to Llandudno was all road (couldn't use the seafront path as not repaired after storms) and this made it a bit hiller than before but nothing that would of normally bothered me.  Great support in Llandudno then turned up the Orme a bit of a bracing sea breeze as we rounded the first corner but no wonder those Victorians used to go there to take the sea air it sorted me out a treat and I unblocked dried up and odd I went no walking for me today. Sun came out and we had sparkling blue sea, amazing views and the noise of waves and seabirds to accompany us, then an RAF SeaKing appeared around the headland tucked right into the shoreline at just above road height and gave us the most amazing flyby the guys all waving at us and us all waving back.

Anyway made the top of the Orme then carried on down and back to the road home had no idea how I was doing as I'd purposely left my watch at home and it was so nice not worrying about was I too fast (ha) or slow definitely going to race this way again. Chatted to a few people for short spells and started passing a few who were walking then met another lady from my group and ran the last half mile with her till she practically ground to a halt in sight of the finish line - I told her no way was I letting her stop and we went over the line screaming and shouting together. Met up with Elly my friend who'd come in 2 mins ahead of me and Mr C who'd done a fabulous 2hr 17 despite his hip playing up most of the way round.

Felt fine after, Mr C and Elly were holding each other up and staggering together up the hill back to the carpark when I spotted a couple from club so I sprinted off to say hello then ran back up the hill to find my two who'd collapsed on a wall and were just shaking their heads that I was still running about.  Did seize up once I'd stopped and sat in the car though we all hobbled out back at home.

Such a confidence boost though as I know now I can run a half without killing myself as I'd got a bit of a mental block on over that distance in training. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Run Jono - I'd start off with some 50s.  They're manageable and usually always in daylight.  It's a good round distance and unlikely to cause damage.  Anybody who has done long distances will tell you that something funny happens about the mile 65 point - beyond that is the running equivalent to the 'death zone' where things start breaking down. Only very special people can keep running, or even keep going, for 100+ miles.

I'm still around but not doing much running.  Went out today in the forest near me with Archie - 5-hr run.

Came to one of my usual paths and found that someone had turned it into a mountain bike trail.  A sign said something to the effect that this new route was now open and anyone using it should take 'this extreme downhill course very cautiously until you are used to it.'

I don't remember needing caution in the past so I set off down it at a good pace.

Man!  What an experience!!   You're in this kind of chute thing - impossible to get out of, stop, or even slow down!  Occasional leaps into thin air, big swooping hairpins, rocks and tree roots.  I found myself yelling and laughing out loud involuntarily.

Don't know what Archie was thinking - he came a different way down.  Got more sense.

Got the bottom still laughing, breathless, and completely exhilarated out.

A great tonic.  Fortunately I didn't meet any bikes which might not have been so good.

• Options

Thanks for the advice on 100s TRex - I need to get back to 50-mile fitness and also see if I can find an event that gets between the two. Sounds like we could all do with a run on the wild side once in a while...image

Great running at Conwy Chrissi - sounds idyllic.

More great times Running Eye - speed seems to be working for you. 

Brilliant Brer - I've lost count of the number of 1st lady finishes you've had this year!!

Flat coastal back to back marathons this weekend for #46 & #47; annoyingly missed my new PB from 2 weeks ago by 16 seconds, but helped the guy I overtook near the end to beat his by a similar amount.  Beautiful views yesterday, but foggy and cool today, and the wheels tried to come off on the last two laps (of 5), but managed to keep running thanks to another runner who seemed to be going at a decent jogging pace - it made the last lap bearable and stopped me from walking!!  Only three more to go until the big day (next Sunday) - fingers crossed for staying healthy and injury free until then...

• Options

Morning Snodders hope we're all out training and not stuck into the mince pies yet.

Been taking it a bit easier here as ankle playing up a little since Conwy.  10K in Aberystwyth on Sunday I've never done a race this late in the year normally wind it down completely in December image can't do that this year Winter Trail Half booked for 24th Jan what was I thinking

Have a great weekend everyone

• Options

Me too Chrissi - SNOD normally marks the end of my calendar running year, but this year no rest for the insane...

#48 today - 26.5 miles of unremitting concrete along the sea wall in south Kent.  Not fun at all - felt tired and achy from about half way.  Managed to crawl along and head for the finish line only hear "56, 57, 58, 59..." cue a dip (for the first time in a marathon) and ended up with 3h59m59s - the closest I have ever come to a time barrier!  First time I have managed 3 sub-4h marathons in seven days.  Will jog/walk #49 tomorrow...

Anyone else running this weekend? 

• Options

Good luck with your runs Chrissi and Run Jono, I'm also running this weekend, the CTS Dorset "half", I did it last year, i ran SNOD quicker than I did this! So it's going to be a slow one, taking it as a long slow run and deliberate strategy of walk on the hills, and will enjoy the scenery, looks like it should be a great day out there!

• Options

Good morning all, the festivities haven't started in the Brer household yet, not even bought any cards yetimage  Been a busy old time here, another back to back weekend last week in Stratford Upon Avon. Came 2nd and 3rd in tough conditions..mud glorious mud! The Sunday one marked 90 marathons and number 50 in 12 calendar months. However, only up to 46 in 2014. New Year's Eve in Liverpool should get me to 50 in 2014 if the weather is kind.

Hope number 49 went well Jono, nearly there now mateyimage

Good luck McHilly, I know how tough the CTS events are. Sounds like you have a plan to enjoy it thoughimage

Right, no marathons for me this weekend. Better get my sorry little butt into Christmas mode.

Have fun all...esp if Chrimbo shoppingimage