Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Had some fun this morning helping a neighbour learn to swim crawl, I really enjoyed instructing, it is a long time since I did any of that. Sunday last we went to a large lake to swim, John swam right to the other end and back, distance about 4km. I swam to the middle and back 3 times.so clocked up 3km. Because of that I missed my Sunday long run and so far have not been able to catch up, can't do tomorrow as I have to drive to radiology for my annual thyroid check. Tonight will be at dog club with the dogs, and again on Thursday evening. Seems like time is running away from us, John has 2 weeks before he goes over to Henley for the Thames Marathon swim, 14km! Soon after he comes back I fly to Newcastle for the GNR, and when I come back from that have only a few days before Charlie and I compete in the Swiss White Shepherd working dog championships and show. Good job I am an organized sort of person.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I posted here - it must have been a while ago! I can't remember what I may have posted at the time so a quick recap.

I haven't started running again yet but I went to see a local physio about a month ago and attended a couple of sessions. She gave me some strengthening/rehab exercises which I've been trying to do regularly - but I can't say I've been doing them every day. In my defence, I was on a walking holiday in the Brecon Beacons recently and I'm pleased to say I was able to get through that week's walking (total of approx. 35 miles) without any problems with my ankle. I had a few 'stumbles' on the rough ground (rock-strewn paths, tree roots, steep ascents & descents) but my walking poles saved me from any major issues.

I plan to try a session on my treadmill tomorrow to see how I get on. There's the small matter of moving a few things around in my garage to allow me to lower the running deck. But it won't take long to make the room and then I'm going to start off walking on the treadmill, will slowly speed up and then see if I'm able to jog slowly without any problems.

On a positive note, I found myself running upstairs this morning without thinking about it so fingers crossed all is okay. Assuming it is, then I'll have a few sessions on my treadmill before venturing outside and I can then think about going back to my running club's sessions. However, I know I'm going to have to start with the beginners group until I can build up my stamina again.
  • Options
    Morning all,

We've been hit big time in the south by the weather. It started raining heavily at about 6pm yesterday evening, and there was thunder, lightning and torrential rain all through the night. The rain has stopped now, but thunderstorms forecast again later today. Last night's club session, which was pyramids in a field in the forest, was abandoned when the storm started. I was glad that I wasn't there.

glo2, thanks. It's essential really to taper before races as it gives the body time to recover, and you set off with fresh legs. Good that your knees didn't cause any problems.

DBIW, you've certainly got "a lot on your plate!" 

WtnMel, your walking holiday will have helped you to maintain your fitness, and the rest from running may be a blessing in disguise.

I've got an appointment with a physio tomorrow, which I hope will enable me to get back into running sooner. I don't think that there is much wrong, as I've been walking about without any problems, and I've got much more flexibility in the leg.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - the walking holiday was a 'test' to make sure my ankle stood up to the rigours of the uneven ground and sharp ascents/descents. So it was a relief to come through unscathed and feel more confident of being able to resume running.

Speaking of which (drum roll ...) I'm pleased to be able to tell you I've just managed to walk/run 2mls on my treadmill. I didn't notice any problems during the run and all being well, I won't notice any niggles as the day progresses. 

We didn't have any thunderstorms in Gloucestershire yesterday evening and although I didn't hear anything during the night, when I woke this morning I could see we'd had some rain. I'm supposed to be playing in a bowls match later (6:15pm) so will be keeping an eye out for the weather as the day progresses (last week's match was rained off).
  • Options
    Weather here has not let up yet, today we have 39c, blazing sun and no sign of rain but the forecast says storms are on the way. At my checkúp the doc said I have a series of large nodes on my thyroid gland but no need to do anything about them unless they start to bother me - talk about mixed messages! Sorry, maybe I'm a wimp but I cannot face going for a run in this heat.
  • Options
    WtnMel - really good news that you are recovered; hope to hear similar from HS after his visit to the physio.

We had an amazing pyrotechnic weather display here - I've never seen the like and would be quite pleased not to again.

Still resting and working on the hamstrings. Not sure how things are until I test with a little jog, maybe today.

Had one of those occasions yesterday when you realise you are getting older. Went around to see my much younger training partner who is recovering form wisdom teeth removal. His housemate has a very serious set of weightlifting equipment. You can guess the rest, although I didn't injure myself but just dented the ego with the realisation that I'm not a strong as I once was or thought I still am!
  • Options
    Morning all,

It has started to rain, which wasn't forecast, but is brightening up.

WtnMel, sounds encouraging that you are starting to run again.

DBIW, hope the nodes don't cause you any problems, and no, you are not a wimp, it's sensible not to run in that heat.

JB, take care with the hamstrings, which if torn can result in weeks layoff. I'm afraid our upper body strength deteriorates as we get older. I used to be able to do at least 10 pullups, but can now do about 2. I haven't tried lately though, as I don't have access to a bar. I'll let you know how I get on with the physio. My appointment is at 11.30, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will soon be running/jogging again. 
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pictures, glo2, - and Aquarius - as someone said, it's nice to be able to put a face to the name (even though the name isn't the "real" name). And congratulations glo2 for the PB.
    DBI - 3rd in age group and oldest female finisher must be very gratifying. As for running in 39 degrees, forget it. I think even 29 degrees would put me off, unless it was a very short run. A pity you're so far away or you could teach me to swim front crawl, too. I went to classes for a year but never could succeed in co-ordinating arms, legs and breathing. Any two of those ok, but not all three. The classes, however, were mainly for non-swimmers learning to swim, and I didn't get much individual attention.
    John B - a parkrun in the grounds of a castle sounds lovely. Hoping the hamstring problem simmers down. And hope the physio can do something about Hillstrider's knee.
    Glad you enjoyed the Brecon Beacons, WtnMel. And good news on 2 miles run-walk.
    Got back from Bristol on Monday, having successfully completed the Ashton Court parkrun in 42 minutes and some extra seconds. As usual I was first in my category; but usually this is because I am the only one in my category, but on this occasion there actually was one other! She was about a minute behind me. And today I have been for a Long Run, or more correctly run-walk, 3 mins run, 1 min walk, for 2 hours 20 minutes. 

• Options
    Hi all, the weathers been hot then wet then hot again all week. Another trail race 16K this Saturday evening then a few beers after I find a camp site near Roscoff. Meeting the kids and grand kids Sunday, looking forward to that I must say.
    Hillstrider how did the physio visit go.
    Columba, I struggle when its too hot, never bothered me until I got to my late forties.
    JB, lifting a bag of sand is twice the weight it was than when I was young lad  !!

• Options
    Morning all,

Thanks everyone for your wishes that my physio session was successful. He advised that I had twisted my fibula and undertook a number of different stretches and massaged the area for 5 minutes with oil. He's given me some stretches to do myself and also the 5 minute oil massage. The massage to be implemented with a spoon handle. The knee feels much better now, and I can bend it without pain. I will rest again today, and try a run tomorrow. The physio asked me when my next race was and I advised 13 August for the Salisbury 54321 33k Trail Race. He said that I should be ok to run it, unless I had further problems. I have another appointment in a weeks time, but can cancel if no problems before.

Columba, I'm impressed with your 2 hour 20 minute run/walk. The run walk method is recommended by some Coaches for the marathon, who say that this can achieve a quicker finish time. 

Mokshaeight, good luck with your 16k trail race on Saturday and please let us know how you got on. A few beers after sounds good to me. :)
  • Options
    glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, sounds like some good recovery is taking place with a few of you, hope it all continues  and you all get back to your comfortable times.

My hopes of doing a long run run were dashed this morning, i spent the day in London yesterday without sensible shoes and  i am now paying for it with a fair sized blister on the ball of my foot, so i decided not to aggravate it as i am off to London again tomorrow, a visit to the Shard Compliments of my Daughter (mothers day present) and tea for two whilst we are there. so i don't want to be hobbling around for that, so i amy have to try and catch up on a long run during the week, although it just doesn't seem right  doing it on a weekday lol. 

Have a good weekend everyone and have some great walks/runs.

• Options
    Morning all,

glo2, ouch, a blister on the ball of the foot sounds very painful. Very sensible not to do a long run on it this morning. We seem to be coming a more sensible lot on this thread nowadays, lol. Have a nice day with your Daughter tomorrow, and hope the blister doesn't "slow you down."

I'm going to attempt a short run this morning to see how the knee holds up. The stretches and oil massage seem to be working, but the real test will be running on it.
  • Options
    HS - glad to hear that the knee is improving but I guess you've still got a way to go before you can do yourself justice in upcoming and gruelling events. But good to be on road to recovery.

Glo2 - bad news about the blister. So much for sensible shoes! Whenever I go anywhere now - even for work - I try to wear my trainers. This gets some funny looks sometimes but at our (well my) age I don't really mind that.....well I mind it less than the discomfort of walking miles in shoes. I take it that you won't be opting for the stairs at The Shard!

Mokshaeight - it was red wine last time and this time beer. Sounds great! Enjoy - you are running (and drinking) for your country!

Columba - 2 hours 20 minutes is still la long time on your feet and seems to be delivering fitness plus freedom from injury?

DBI - the GNR I think is the biggest HM in the world?

Probably against my better judgment (of which I have very little anyway) I tried out a parkrun today. I set off to do 22.30 and did 22.31.I'm not so proud of the run but I am rather pleased that (without fancy-dan tech stuff) I can still judge pace pretty well. Anyway, no category win but the leg came though the test with no real damage so that's a relief.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Impressive, John B, - both the time and the pacing ability.
    Fitness plus freedom from injury is definitely what I'm aiming for. I have become very conscientious about doing "looseners" before a run and lots of stretches afterwards, and I think it's paying off.

glo2 - I had plans to go up the Shard with one of my children a few years back, but when we discovered what it was going to cost, even just to go half way never mind to the top, we changed our minds.

HS - a twisted fibula sounds quite dire; after all, it's a bone, innit? Good news that it's feeling so much better.

This afternoon I did a hilly run; 2.85 miles altogether. Not content with just running the hills I added in 2 x 5 hill reps. 
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny but more rain forecast later.

JB, yes you are right, it will take me a while before I am able to do justice to future races. I have already decided not to run in the Salisbury 54321 33k trail run on 13th August, as I won't be able to do it justice. I'm hoping though, to be fit for the NF Marathon on 10th September. I also try to avoid wearing shoes, except for the rare occasions when I need to wear a suit and tie, as they feel so uncomfortable. Well done with your parkrun, and good to hear that you didn't do any damage to your leg.

Columba, you are right that warming up before and stretching after exercise helps to prevent injury. This is largely why, until recently, I have been relatively injury free throughout my running career. My physio puts my injury down to the change in my training, which was the introduction of track running once a week on the grass track throughout  the summer evenings. These sessions alternate between Tuesdays and Thursdays, so running track Thursday means track again on the Tuesday. The fibula is a small bone on the outer of the leg. I think it is attached to the tibia, a longer bone, but I'm not sure. The physio had a plastic skeleton and he demonstrated  how all the bones fitted together. That was a nice session you did which included the hill reps. I'm feeling envious.

I ran/walked a mile yesterday as it was just to test the knee. It was a little bit uncomfortable, but didn't make it worse. I'm going to try a slightly longer run this morning, which might include some walking.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Great to see you are tackling hills again Columba, considering all the problems you’ve had with The Knee. Your current approach to running certainly seems to be working for you.

JB - glad your hamstrings didn’t give you any trouble at your parkrun, and well done on the tech-free pacing. Most impressive. I sometimes think about going for a run without my HR monitor and Garmin, just to see if it makes any difference to the way I run, but can’t quite bring myself to do it!

HS a twisted fibula sounds very painful, but hopefully will be fairly easy to put right if stretching and massage are all that’s required. However I think you are wise to give the Salisbury race a miss, particularly as it is a trail run. (Isn’t it easy to hand out advice like this to fellow runners, but so difficult to follow it yourself when you are the injured one!)

Speaking of knees - I’ve decided to join the injured knee club, or rather my knee has. I’m not sure what I’ve done (or precisely when) but for a couple of weeks now my right knee has been feeling tender to the touch. Strangely enough I usually only notice this when I’m in bed and I move my leg - as my knee rubs against the sheet it feels as if it’s bruised, although there is no bruising to see. The tenderness is in the little hollow to the right of the kneecap and feels as if I’ve knelt on a sharp stone - which I’m sure I haven’t. It doesn’t cause me any problems when walking or climbing stairs so I expect it’s just one of those odd things that happen from time to time then go away again. 

I haven’t been able to run for over a week now (nothing to do with the knee) as I think my virus is coming back, which is really depressing. I just seem to string a few runs together (albeit mediocre ones) then I feel unwell again. As this has been going on more or less since April I’ve booked an appointment with the doctor (tomorrow) to see if I can have blood tests to rule out any other underlying cause. It’s so annoying as I’ve had to miss lots of races and club events these last few months, but every time I think I feel better and start running again my body tries to stop me. I wonder if it is because I only started running about 10 years ago, and I don’t have the reserves of strength to call on that lifelong runners have? Or is it something to do with the sort of genes you inherit? I’ve often marvelled at (and envied) the endurance that triathletes have, a fraction of that would do me.

• Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Aquarius - you are really in the wars right now and have every sympathy from me. I think that running is a very, very 'draining'/demanding activity and as you lay-off your base level of fitness declines, you then over-tax yourself and the cycle continues. Then throw in a virus or two and you are really up against it. And then the knee too. Hope the trip to the doctors spells the end of this very dispiriting and frustrating cycle.

HS - can see why you are dropping the trail run. My neighbour is doing the NF marathon.  He's a big unit but 'only' in his early 50s and estimating his finish time as around 4.15 or so. I reckon it must be one of the most scenic marathons in the UK - but not the flattest (which is rather more important).

Columba  - I think your warm up/warm down routine is very sensible. I now make myself do something similar but it's all a bit haphazard. 

Managed a 30 minute run today - with a 3 mile bike ride to act as my warm up/warm down.

Have really enjoyed watching the para athletics and also (being a cricket nut) a fabulous World Cup final win by the England women's team played out in front of a packed house at Lord's.

• Options
    Morning all,

Aquarius, sorry to hear about your knee problem, and that you believe your virus is returning. It is dreadful not being able to run, and is so annoying to miss races that have been paid and trained for. My knee problem seems almost the opposite of yours. It doesn't hurt at all to the touch, just when I bend the knee. It doesn't hurt when I am walking, just when I try to run. It's interesting that you mentioned genes, as my physio said that my lack of injuries over the years must have something to do with genetics.

JB, I ran the NF Marathon last year in 4.28 at a comfortable pace, as I was pacing one of our club runners to run at a slower pace than he would run at a later road race, in other words, more of a long distance training run. I was hoping to race it this year, but if I am able to run it at all, it will be very pedestrian, admiring the scenery. It is a lovely race and I am sure that your neighbour will enjoy it. It's one of those races where times are unimportant, unless you are wanting to get a good finishing position and trophy. The elevation gain, according to my garmin was 737 feet. I was disappointed that the women's cricket was on Sky Sports, which I don't have, and not on BBC. The para athletics was on Channel 4, and also the Women's European Championship Football. The Tour de France was on ITV 4.  The only sport on BBC was the diving and swimming, and the golf highlights. Gone are the days when the BBC showed all the top sporting events RIP.

I ran 1.6 miles yesterday without any walking, and the knee is improving. I'm having a rest day today and hopefully will run further tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    HS: Good news about the knee. Also good new is that the BBC is getting the cricket back - but not sure when.

I did a miserable 6 miles this morning. It was miserable because I was aiming to do 10 but just ran out of steam both physically and mentally. I think the problem was that I went out too fast (8.30 mm) when I really should be doing 9 mms for that distance. But I have to admit that I ended up with a long and rather melancholic and uncomfortable walk home. Just a bad day at the (running) office, I guess.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about every ones woes , hope you all get better soon. 
    JB, I went through the physical and mental thing at the beginning of the year. It came to a head when I pulled out of a marathon at 25k, just sat on the side of the road and did not give a toss , not like me at all, very rare for me to pull out of a race. Anyways things have improved and I am enjoying my running like the old days.                                                                            We have French t.v. and watched as much TDF as I could, not understanding the language did not spoil it too much for me after watching it every year for the last 30 years. Channel 4 commentary has been excellent  the last few years I must say.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Mokshaeight - thanks for sharing that. You summed up that feeling ('not giving a toss') perfectly.
     I'm toying with the idea of entering for an autumn marathon. This is a big deal for me as I hate long distances, I underperform (which is in itself a barrier with an ego as big as mine!) and I'm bound to regret it at many stages but it's a kind of 'feel the fear and do it' reaction to my low of yesterday. Mrs JB isn't impressed and Brexit-style negotiations lie ahead. (And so pleased to hear that you've rediscovered the joy of running.)

We went to see 'Dunkirk' last night, the first film I've seen at the pictures since Jurassic Park (or almost the Jurassic period!) and I have to say that it was brilliant.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny and I am going to attempt a slightly longer run this morning. I'm persevering with my stretches and massage, and whilst doing the knee stretch with my foot on a chair, felt a click in the knee. I'm hoping this might be a good sign. I'll soon find out when I run ;) 

JB, starting a run or race at too fast a pace, usually results in fatigue in the latter stages. In my faster days, I used to start really hard, and then just hang on for the last few miles. These days are the complete opposite, I start steadily and speed up. Good luck if you do decide to run an autumn marathon, just don't start off too quickly :'( "Dunkirk" has received really good reviews. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema.

Mokshaeight, sorry to hear that you had to pull out of a marathon. You must have been feeling under the weather if it wasn't an injury. Glad that you are now enjoying your running again.
  • Options
    MokshaeightMokshaeight ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hillstrider , no injury, I did not get the training in and the closer I got to the day of the race I thought I might bluff it. Well the training did not get done because, I could not be arsed to run further than 13 miles , the intention was always there , the will was lacking, and by god it showed on the day.    I also am a start off slow and build up a head of steam by mid race runner.

• Options
    So - I took the plunge and have entered the November marathon. It's a very unusual one and that's part of the appeal. It's basically a run around (and around and around) a velodrome in a Brighton park; it's the oldest velodrome in the country. It's around 570 metres and so we are looking at 70+ laps.

I'll now be very interested to read the tips (as per HS and Mokshaeight) of experienced marathoners; in this I am a novice having just done 2 marathons and very poorly at that. I'd love to duck under 4 hours as this would be a first. For all its eccentricity this should be a fast course - no corners, no unevenness in the surface, no roads to cross, no hills  but just

a) banking - which I think should be negligible at the 'bottom' of the track;

b) total and utter boredom - which I take as payback for all the boredom I inflicted on my students over the years! 

Did a 30 minute run today already thinking that I'd be looking at another 3and a half hours of this on the day!
  • Options
    Morning all,

It's raining at the moment, but is expected to clear later this afternoon.

Mokshaeight, I'm not surprised that you were unable to complete your marathon, if your longest training run was only 13 miles.

JB, that marathon you have entered sounds horrendous, how do runners, and marshal's "keep track" of the numbers of laps they have run? Regarding marathon tips, I can list my Sunday training runs leading up to my marathon pb of 3.12, if that would help. The most important thing is the LSD run once a week, which should be approx. 2 minutes per mile slower than your normal race pace. Weekly training should include some speed work such as tempo pace runs and shorter distance reps with jog recoveries. Hill reps are also very useful as these help build strength, stamina and endurance. Recovery runs are also very important, to allow the body to heal micro tears etc. and don't forget rest days!

My run yesterday was tortuous. I was feeling fine before starting off and decided to run 2.5 miles. The first mile was ok, but then "the wheels came off!" My knee started hurting again and it was all I could do to get home, as the pain was bad. I'm not feeling too bad this morning, as I've done my exercises, including core work, and can bend the knee without too much discomfort. I will have to have some more rest days, and am seeing my physio again on Monday. I'm now thinking that I won't be fit to run the NF Marathon in September, as it is only just over 6 weeks away. I've just got to be patient, which isn't easy, as you will all know. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    HS - oh no, not again! That sounds pretty grim. I can't imagine that you'll be running a marathon in 6 weeks. That's a shame.
     On your points about my plans:
    - there's a the 'tag' to tell you and the organisers when you finish but you are spot-on in terms of the trickiness of lap counting. I think I'll have to finally invest in some technology to tell me at least pace and distance elapsed;
    - I'll get nowhere near your 3.12 (!) although race predictions give me around 3.20 based on my 5k times. But there is no hope of this and sub 4 would be brilliant for me. I would be interested to know the length of your long runs leading up to  your marathon and the spacing of them over the final 16 weeks or so. The times/pace won't be of much use though given our difference in class. Many thanks for the offer.

I looked up my old training diaries for the 2 marathons I did. They were when I was 49 and 50. For one (4.22) I averaged 9.5 miles per week over the 4 months leading up to the event and for the other (4:17) I averaged 10miles a week. But for both I somehow managed a decent 20 miler (a race) 3 weeks or so before the event. I can hardly believe those figures myself and I think they help to explain why I struggled on the day(s)!

I promise I'll show more dedication this time and at least I'm 'starting' with a few 10 milers under my belt..............
  • Options
    Hi folks, sorry to hear about all the injuries, and hope everyone gets better soon. I am maybe an anomaly in that I absolutely love marathon running and am frustrated that I am not allowed to do any more, so that includes Ironman triathlons too as the marathon is the last part of an IM. JB, yes I know the GNR is the biggest, for me that is part of the attraction, I really enjoy big races. John will be off to England on Monday, he is swimming the Thames marathon 14km on 6 August. Am thinking I might like to do it next year if I get a good report from him. The Pirates have also broached the idea of cycling the Jogle next autumn (John O Groats to Lands End)
  • Options
    Getting ahead of myself, I need to concentrate on what's creeping up on me fast - once the GNR is over I only have 3 days before the Swiss White Shepherd Dogs working championship starts! I shall take the dogs to pre-event training at the venue next Wednesday, there has been a lot of discussion about the tracking test, if we will track on grass or earth. I will set Charlie to track on an earth field on Sunday morning and see how that goes - I do not often get the chance but I think if a dog can track he should be able to follow a trail no matter if it is on earth or grass. Happy running everyone and hope all the injuries go away soon. John too has a problem with one of his knees.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi everyone. Catching up on the last week's posts ..

DBI - nothing to do with being a wimp but I wouldn't attempt to run in 39c heat either!

JB6 - hope the hamstrings are recovering. I expect I would also find weights too heavy now that were 'easy' in the past (and despite knowing weight training is good for me, I've not yet managed to get organised enough to do anything of that type recently). Well done re your pacing without technical backup! Sorry to hear about your recent run and 'lack of steam' causing you to cut it short. I was going to do the Cheltenham HM this year but as we're now heading to Canada ('big' birthday trip) they've allowed me to defer to 2018. I had to have Brexit-style negotiations with Mrs WM and have had to promise to do plenty of long runs beforehand as she doesn't want to see me in distress again like at the end of the Bath HM in the past. Hmmm .. I have a running friend who does lots (and lots and lots!) of marathons (she recently topped 500) and some of them involve lap after lap around parks .. never heard of one round and round a cycle track though. At least you won't have far to walk if you decide to quit at some point!

HS - glad to hear physio session was helpful and hope your knee continues to recover. You are correct, the fibula is linked to the tibia and is on the outside of the calf (although I'm not sure how it could get twisted as was explained to you). My left ankle has been 'clicking' constantly since I sprained/bruised it .. but I've not noticed that helping it recover and get better and more quickly! ;-) Just read on further - sorry to hear yesterday's run didn't go well - it does sound like the NF marathon in September will be a step too far for you.

Columba - I've always done plenty of stretching before I run despite various bits of 'research' claiming there is no need. I figure, what is there to lose by doing it anyway. Well done re your long run, hilly run and added hill reps *applauds*

Mokshaeight - I've never pulled out of a race but have had occasions when I've questioned why I'm taking part (as a slow, overweight runner) with all the 'racing snakes' disappearing into the distance. Like HS, I'm another who starts slowly and builds up (and passing people later in a race who went off too fast is psychologically good for me).

Glo2 - grrrr to getting a blister thanks to lack of 'sensible' shoes ;-) I've never been tempted to go up the Shard - but when we walked the Thames Path a few years back, it was a constant part of the view for a day or two thanks to it's height.

Aquarius - I try not to check my Garmin very often when I'm running apart from at the start when I make sure it's recording okay. But going out without it (a 'nekkid' run as I call it) is something I haven't done for a long while. Sorry to hear you have knee problems and your virus seems to have returned too.

Nice to see some photos and put some faces to names. I'll try and post a recent photo of mine too .. (Edited: No 'running' photos but I've posted one of me out walking in the Brecon Beacons).

Since my last posting I've done another two 3ml treadmill runs and am happy to say I haven't had any problems. I think I'll do a few more treadmill runs before I head outside and run around town.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017