Options

Team Strides 22nd Lochaber Marathon

Comments

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    You're asking a group of people who've already decided it's a good idea so....

...I think it's a good idea.
  • Options
    Hi Higs

Have you done it before? Is it really flat?

Basker
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Basks - I've done the half (it's in November) and I can assure you that it's as flat as marathons come.

You could get a cheap flight to Glasgow, take the train to FW and local B&Bs start at £15 per night, so it wouldn't have to be all that expensive.

Unless you live in Australia, or something :o)
  • Options
    Nessie, I think you're right and I am rapidly warming to the idea. Last year I did Stratford which is on the same day but combined with a half and it was unseasonably hot. Whatever the temperature in Stratford, I think it's safe to assume it will be cooler in Fort William...
  • Options
    B&B'S start at £15 ? That IS good news Nessie !
  • Options
    Thanks Nessie-I'll go check 'em out (0:
  • Options
    cant we all stay in Nessies back yard under cardboard?
  • Options
    I'm in (entered online). Nothing like taking one's time to think these things through...
  • Options
    can anyone help with advice? I would like to do the half-m in November so that I get an idea of the full marathon for April - but it is such a long way to drive - however Glasgow would be ok on Saturday - then on up on the Sunday am. Would there be anyone going from Glasgow who wouldnt mind offering to share car expenses, but drive, or a group, or if there are any clubs going on a coach?
    Nessie has already tried I believe, but no-one has responded or I dont look in the right places! Has anyone any ideas as to what I could do
  • Options
    In

Basking Shark
    Benz aka Hippo (Serial marathoner and sub 5 candidate)
    Bodjit (first timer)
    Capybara
    Debbo (sub 5 candidate)
    EEyin (Mad Marathoner)
    Fellrunner (seriously hard Yorkshire bloke)
    Higs (Permanently exhausted by triplets, 3:59:59 or the drinks are on me, booked into the Ben Nevis Hotel)
    Red Kite
    Shades (seriously serial marathoner)

FLM Reject Brigade

Andrew MacDonald 5
    Goslo
    Jane M (sub 5 candidate)
    Josie Jump (sub 5 candidate)
    Nessie (sub 5 candidate)
    Plum (Big fibber marathon master and underwear model)
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I've just moved me into the FLM reject brigade. I'll stay there unless I suddenly decide it is a good idea to do this as well.

In

Basking Shark
    Bodjit (first timer)
    Capybara
    EEyin (Mad Marathoner)
    Higs (Permanently exhausted by triplets, 3:59:59 or the drinks are on me, booked into the Ben Nevis Hotel)
    Red Kite

FLM Reject Brigade

Andrew MacDonald 5
    Debbo (sub 5 candidate)
    Goslo
    Jane M (sub 5 candidate)
    Nessie (sub 5 candidate)
    Plum (Big fibber marathon master and underwear model)
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Plum - no cardboard required - I have a summer house. But I don't live in Fort William - we're 70 miles away.
  • Options
    I think I may be joing you all for this one. I wasn't planning to run a spring marathon, but then my Abingdon disaster happened - my first marathon, and I had to drop out after 8m with a foot injury. I'm hoping to be back in training in the next few days and I need a new target.

I'll be going for sub-3:00, and maybe 2:55 if the training goes well.
  • Options
    I dont understand how I get labelled Mad Marathoner when Shades and Hippo are Serial and Seriously Serial Marathoners respectfully. They do far more than me in a year and sometimes on 3 consecutive days. Lochaber will only be my 25th marathon and I respectfully request to be trainee serial marathoner please.
    Shades and Hippo, do you, like blood donation, get a silver medal for your 25th marathon? Thought not.
  • Options
    eeyin
    yuo do more maras than me
    so shurrup!;)

nowhere NEAR 25
  • Options
    we will all have a whip round and get EEyin a medal (not real silver though)

In

Basking Shark
    Bodjit (first timer)
    Capybara
    EEyin (Mad Marathoner)
    Red Kite

FLM Reject Brigade

Andrew MacDonald 5
    Debbo (sub 5 candidate)
    Goslo
    Jane M (sub 5 candidate)
    Nessie (sub 5 candidate)
    Plum (Complete novice compared to some and far to lardy butted to model undies now)
  • Options
    Hold fire there Plum ....Im looking at Ryanair's schedules to see where they go and where the Winter marathons are on worldrunner marathon calander (www.geocities.com/schoenmaeker/dec.html

I dont think I can wait from Dublin next week to Rotterdam in early April. So Lochaber may well be 26th and FLM would then be 25th ......
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind something nice about early feb so if you find something we could get together afterwards over a couple of Guinness and discuss Gavo's tray throwing technique
    stevenage, November (35)
    luton December (35)
    Nothing January or February
    Got the grizzly in march
    FLM or This in April ( or maybe Paris If I can find a lady romantic enough!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Options
    plum
    there are two short iltras ahead
    one in january, and one in february
  • Options
    I have never heard of a short Ultre Hippo, how short is short?
  • Options
    EEyin
    You qualify as mad as you are doing 5 marathons in 5 weeks!!! (sounds pretty mad to me )

Funny you should say about medals Plummy. As Lochaber doesn't DO medals I was thinking of orgainising our own. If I don't get in to FLM then this will be my first marathon and I want some thing a tad more substantial than a teeshirt :-)
  • Options
    In

Basking Shark
    Bodjit (first timer)
    Capybara
    EEyin (Mad Marathoner)
    Red Kite

FLM Reject Brigade

Andrew MacDonald 5
    Debbo (sub 5 candidate)
    Goslo
    Jane M (sub 5 candidate)
    Nessie (sub 5 candidate)
    Plum (Complete novice compared to some and far to lardy butted to model undies now)

Thinking about it

Aardvark ( faster, stonger and after that sub 3)
  • Options
    Plum
    30 miles in junauary, and 35 miles in February
  • Options
    Hear hear Josie-If it was a choice between medal or T-Shirt,gimme a medal every time !
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I must have missed something - what's this about modelling undies??
  • Options
    Added myself to the list of potentials

In

Basking Shark
    Bodjit (first timer)
    Capybara
    EEyin (Mad Marathoner)
    Red Kite

FLM Reject Brigade

Andrew MacDonald 5
    Debbo (sub 5 candidate)
    Goslo
    Jane M (sub 5 candidate)
    Nessie (sub 5 candidate)

Thinking about it

Aardvark ( faster, stonger and after that sub 3)
    Elephant Feet (Very slow 1st timer)
  • Options
    Ryan Air from Prestwick to Weeze Germany on Friday 11th March 2005 back on Sunday for the Konig forest Marathon on the Saturday currently £34
    mmmmmm very interesting

It was £55 petrol for me to to Loch Ness an back earlier this month.

These are all accessible for less cost than a tank of petrol if you look for the new schedules at Xmas:-

12th March Konig Forest Marathon
    19th March Den Hague 1/2 Marathon
    28th March Utrech Marathon
    03rd April Zurich Marathon
    10th April Rottedam Marathon
    17th April FLM
    24th April Lochaber Marathon
    01st May Maastricht Marathon
    08th May Dusseldorf Marathon

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Eeyin - exactly how many marathons are you planning on doing next spring??!!
  • Options
    debbo I think he is aiming for one a week by the looks of it. He must have a well paying job to afford all those flights.