Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone!
    KarlB!!!! HIII!!!!!! How are things with you at the moment then? Not down under I take it? Great time for silverstone! My mates brother did it in 1:56 - very annoying since he was barely training 12 weeks before the race. Was it a good race? On the one hand I like the idea of the flatness but on the other, how many laps would it be?? Or is the track 13 miles? Don't really know about these things but if cars go round and round, presumably runners would too??

Carol - grit and determination - you can do it! That's how us wafflers do it! ;) Escargots advice sounds very sensible to me.

Jojo - I feel for you. It won't be too long now surely?

Escargot - yay for a lovely long run! I haven't managed anything that far since Montargis, but am hoping for 8-10 on Saturday......

I am lacking a little enthusiasm having started circuits again. I do a session on a Monday after work with a girl, and we make it up from a range of circuits classes we have both been to over the years. She does loads of gym classes all the time and I haven't done anything like this on a regular basis for ages. So now I am in agony most of the week getting over what we do on Monday's!!! Hopefully next week will be the last time I am in pain and I can get on with decent training again. But I need to fit the swimming in somewhere and get my bike out the shed.... triathlon in 5 weeks! ARG!
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Jen* - those circuits are bound to be useful.
    What are the distances involved in your triathlon?

Jojo - what news?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen your body will get stronger from your circuits, also some of it will be like speed interval work.
  • Options
    Hi all

Thanks again for your words of wisdom and I know I just have to hang on in there for another couple of weeks before the taper starts.
    I have hung around a couple of marthon threads and realise everyone is feeling exactly the same and I am actually very lucky I am not deferring due to injury.

yesterday was a speed session and this morning a slow but enjoyable 10 miler into work.

Escargot- I agree about the sunshine and scenery- makes it s o much easier than the bitter cold we have been having. Also, I think you're right, about speedwork and I don't think I am going to do any more speed work now and just concentrate on the mileage in the schedule.

jo jo 10 - good luck with the physio - I do sympathise with you not being able to get out there ( even though I do nothing but moan about running at the moment!!)

Jen* you certainly do pack it all in- and no gain without pain etc etc. but they do say variety is the spice of life and a triathlon sounds so exciting. Could you ride your bike in the swimmimg pool to save time - these energy gels have gone to my head - not only am I waffling I am now nonsensical!!

Good running everyone- Spring is here
  • Options
    Good news - my ITB problem is improving every day. I am back swimming and light cross training with no problems and physio has allowed me to do an easy jog on the weekend. YIPEE!! So fingers crossed that I might be back doing some gentle running next week.

Happy training to you all (jojo trots off happily ;-))
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    jojo
    I celebrate your good news with you. What did the physio do or suggest you do that has made such a difference?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    jojo - WOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Just out of interest, how much swimming have you been doing to keep up your fitness (when you have been allowed to do it!)??

The triathlon is 400m swim (16 lengths), 10 mile bike ride and 5km run. I know I can do the swim and run fairly easily but the 10 mile bike ride is what scares me. Partly because I just haven't got the bike out! And I also think 10 miles is quite a long way I think too - on a difficult route too (well, not flat at least!). I might go out and run the bike route to see how it feels running.
    Also the fact these things are done one after each other is something I haven't really considered. Going swimming tomorrow morning though. And running in the evening with the club. You will note, not bike riding into work. Blub!

Today I did 5 miles around the park at lunch time. I found myself wondering whether I really wanted to go out there or not even though it was looking sunny and lovely. I can't beleive it took so much for me to get out there! It was BEAUTIFUL! Like Carol says, Spring is here - ENJOY!
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Jojo - excellent news, sounds as if you have nipped that injury in the bud.

Jen* - I'm sure a 10-mile bike ride will present no problems for you, though I've no idea what it's like trying to put it together with swimming and running! Well done you for having a go and I bet you'll enjoy a new challenge.

I am going to attempt some intervals in the rain, then out for the day.
  • Options
    Jen - I've done 3 swims this week, ranging between 1700m and 2000m per session. I do a mixture of sessions - pyramid, different combinations of sets, stamina etc. Mr. Jojo is also training for a triathlon in May so I have been joining in with his sessions. It's been OK but I find I get bored after about 30 lengths! Don't think it will particularly help my running fitness as I find swimming takes much less effort than running!

Maybe I'll consider doing a triathlon ...
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    jojo - is mr jojo doing the fairwater one? On 7th May? I really don't structure my swimming though. I go in, 10 lengths warm up, then 10-20 lengths just legs, 10-20 lengths just arms, maybe 10-20 lengths legs again, then cool down. That said I would probably have more focus on arms so it might go arms, legs, arms. Depends how I am feeling, how many people are in the pool, if I have to get to work...etc. I do tend to see swimming as an upper body workout though. I find it easier swimming with just my arms too. Was looking on wiggle today (oh dear - I bought lots. Mr Jen buying stuff for biking and I said "don't order until I've had a look too!" so I am now expecting cycling shorts, a tri swimsuit, hilly socks and another long sleaved basedlayer - not a HH one though - Mr Jen bought the HH top this time!) and I thought about getting paddle gloves to increase resistence. I saw a girl wearing them in aqua-aerobics a few times and they look weird! But if I am going for the arm workout then perhaps I should get them......

Anyway. Jojo - see you at Fairwater....?!?!
  • Options
    Jen not going to be doing the tri on 7th as it will only be 2 weeks from the marathon so think I wont be up to it. And I cant get much if any swimming in between now and then as I need to concentrate on the running more

Have already got a tri-suit and paddle type gloves so got no excuse once London is over!!!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hey rio!
    I didn't make it to club after all tonight. My swim this morning made if hard enough for me to make it up the stairs to work, let alone run more than a few yards for the bus! (plus I ended up sitting backwards on the bus so I felt a bit giddy and weird!).

Crikey. London really isn't that far away now is it?!??!?!
  • Options
    No its 3 weeks Sunday. Today was my day off so didnt go to the club either but had a really good run on Tuesday. Like the new summer routes!
    I am looking forward to next week.

Got my 20 miler this weekend so probably will be very slow on Tuesday but will be there
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    In pursuit of obtaining a fast 10k I intend running quite a few 5k's.

First one to be run was on Friday, the last Friday in the month Serpie 5k.

It was windy! But apart from that it was warmish.

I enjoyed it and overtook many people all the way round. Time 24.14. A minute off my best time, but I am happy with that result at this moment in time. It gave me a satisfactory age related grading of 79.9%. Just a few seconds faster would have sounded a whole lot better increasing the percentage to 80%.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Rio Fair
    good luck with your 20 miler on Sunday.

Jen
    if you get the paddles don't overdo it, you could end up with arm strain if you do too much too soon. But sounds a good idea.

Jojo
    I am sure that your swimming will help your running, it is working your CV, not as high as running, but it must be 60% of MHR I would have thought.

I have done loads of Physio Ball core stability exercises today. I think that one can get a really good workout for the body on the ball as long as one does not cheat on the exercises.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Ceal - I did lots of short races last year to support the 10k - fat lot of good they did me given other circumstances! What I found was (though you will be very familiar with this cos you do shorter track racing too) that 5k and 10k are very different indeed. Having done 4 or 5 short races, when I went up to 10k again, it seemed to go on for ever!!! I am not sure why I thought running shorter distances would get me towards a fast 10k - do you have a theory behind it?

I found that in 5k races I just push as hard as I can because I know it is only 3 miles. But that didn't translate to a 10k for me - the main reason I think this was is because my training runs were rarely more than 6 miles over the summer last year as I was struggling to fit them in during the week. And because I hadn't run 6+ miles frequently enough, my body wasn't willing to try and keep up a faster pace for longer in the 10k.

You can be sure I don't make that mistake again this year!

Yesterday was a disaster though. Went out for an 8-10 miler and got really really bad cramps at about 4 miles. Had to stop and walk a couple of times (that was mentally taxing - I never stop!) and it was just so hot in the sun yesterday, I wasn't prepared. Water bottles at the ready people! The sun is making its return!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    I am working on the principal that one cannot run a fast 10k until one can run a fast 5k! Or even a fast 5k until you can run a mile fast etc etc.

Thus, I am trying to up my VO2 Max. I don't want to wear myself out too much running 10k's so am running 5k's instead. My next 10k will be in June.

However, my training is geared for 10k's . I still run a long run at the weekend and have been running quite a high mileage, for me! 507 miles so far this year. I will drop my weekly mileage now for a while so that I can concentrate on speed. I find I can't do both at the same time, speed and mileage that is!

I ran 10 miles today and disliked the wind/rain/uneven stoney surface/mud/puddles. All in all the best bit was the Rose perfumed bathe afterwards.

Yes I too find 10ks go on and on and on and on too. The pain is there for a lot longer isn't it.

10 miles is a nice distance to race. A slower pace than a 10k and easier to maintain, but the last 2 miles are tough too. I prefer 10 miles to half marathons.

Jen I see from another thread that your foot is still troubling you. Let me know how you get on with the different lacing of your shoes. I had a problem similar to that very recently. But my physio said that there was one part of my foot, near the little toe that was very tight, she loosened it off and that helped. the tight area was nowhere near the pain, which was on the top of my foot near the top of my laces. My foot never hurt until I got into bed at night then it used to throb. But I also loosened my laces a lot and took the laces one notch lower and that eased the problem too, that was before I saw the Physio.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Ceal - you have reminded me why I took the 5k approach. I figured that I could learn to run the required pace for the fast (45min) 10k by doing the shorter races. As it turned out I was racing a lot of hilly races last year (prep for Snowdon - another of the years failures!) and my 5k PB is on a course with a long-ish climb at the end - 23:23. I don't think I improved much between that race and my 10k PB 4 months later - 47:35 - though again, there was a gradual climb in the second half for that one too. I wish I had done the Cardiff 10k last year now as that was the flatest I would have been able to do and it was before I got ill and training got effected! But I think I was on holiday.

Interesting about the foot thing. I'll see how the laces thing goes, though on the Nike Frees they don't really do much since the sock of the shoe is fairly in-flexible compared to other trainer you can open up. I looked at my old ones next to my new ones this afternoon though and the old ones do look rather more losely laced. Fingers crossed I will have no more sore foot soon! I got really worried though because I could feel it throbbing when I was swimming the other day.

Great news today though - I went out on the bike!!!! 10-12 miles half of which was into the wind and some of which was up some tough climbs. Not really hard, but hard enough for me to be pleased I don't feel too bad! I think for the triathlon I just resign myself to the fact I won't be fast on the bike, and I will just be happy to get round. 10 miles on a bike - 45 minutes do you think? Will check out the results from last year......
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Anyone racing at the weekend?

Jen* - well done on the bike ride. You obviously have good enough basic fitness with all those hills round about to cope with most things, including triathlons. Hope your foot gets sorted.

ceal - well done on your unpleasant 10 miles. I find the best bit of quite a lot of runs is the bath/shower after! plus the feeling of achievement.

I have not run since Thursday, having a sore throat, sore shins (probably from a lot of city walking) and now I'm starting to sneeze. So am feeling pretty sorry for myself.
  • Options
    Hi all

Ceal - good time for your 5k and I agree with you about 10k being a lot of pain. I haven't done one for a while but after the marathon I am hoping to use the summer to improve my 10k and half marathon times.

Jen - sounds like you are having fun with training - may be it is just your laces causing the soreness in your foot

Rio fair- good luck with London - I will be there too if all does well in the next few weeks

jo jo 10 - swimmimg will certainly be helping your fitness in some way but I know
    what you mean about finding it boring.

This weekend produced much better results for my LSR. I deliberately didn't run after Wednesday and thought much more carefully about pre race fuelling- lots of water and carbohydrates. Managed to do a very comfortable 21.5 miles in 3.20. I was grinning for the last few miles as although i was getting tired I still felt quite strong and couldn't feel any major aches or pains. There were a few hills in there as well so I just have to hope the flatness of London and the support of crowds will get me through the last few miles. Phew - feeling much more confident now - just need to taper well and wait for the big day.

Enjoy the sunshine everyone- Jen - it was also a shock for me yesterday to feel the sun on my back - hydrate hydrate, hydrate

Good running all
  • Options
    Ceal - the physio did lots of short wave treatment and deep tissue massage (ow!). She also advised lots of heat at home and she showed me a few good stretches to do. I think the fact that, for once, I really eased off the training to give it time to heal helped too.

Jen - no, Mr. B is doing Stafford triathlon. Think it is 14th May, same distances as yours. I know what you mean - it's the bike bit that worries me, too. However, Mr. B finds the bike and run a doddle, so I have been helping him with his swimming and he is much improved but still nervous about it all!!

Did my first run on Friday - very easy 3 miles and I had no after-effects at all!!! So all was looking positive but I am currently laid low with a stomach bug. Just can't seem to get completely healthy at the moment. Never mind, I'm off to Lanzarote on Sunday for a week of warm weather relaxation!!!!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Evening!
    Sounds like we are on the verge of an injury bench bound thread! Take care lovely runners!!!!

I did my circuits again tonight. Having lots of fun with that session because I do them with a friend and we make up a lot of the stuff on the spot if we don't feel quite tired enough! We've been to a lot of circuit sessions between us so lots of exercises to try out! Plus I am poring over Mens Health and Mens Fitness magazines... Gareth thinks I pay for his subscription out of the goodness of my heart.......!!!!

Hoping for 9-10 miles tomorrow while Gareth is off passing his driving test......fingers crossed!!! Then hoping for swimming on Wednesday plus a run (didn't manage the double last week!) and bike into work on Thursday with a club run in the evening (might get the train home....!).

ARG!!!!
    Just realise I have missed the entry for a race I wanted to do this weekend. 10k - fast one too.

DOH!!!!!!! Will have to investigate entry on day.............
    HAve a good week all!

PS - Carol - I am chuffed to bits for yoU! You seem to take to marathon training really well. Perhaps this is your distance...??
  • Options
    All quiet on the thread this week - hope everyone has a good weekend - last long run for me - 18 miles tomorrow then real taper begins

Jen - yes , I do wonder if this is a good distance for me and I haven't found the long runs boring or tedious as I know some people do . Anyway, I had better reserve judgement for post marathon analysis ! -
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi folks. I've been away for a couple of days, returned to finish some work and tomorrow off for a weekend in Alsace.

Jen* - hope Gareth passed! Run strong in your 10k if you manage to enter on the day. I'll look forward to race report.

Jojo - have a great holiday. Rest well and enjoy!

Carol - all the best for your final long run and taper.

With a bit of luck I shall manage a run in what I hope will be lovely mountain scenery on Sunday.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen I hope you manage to enter the 10k on the day. You sound as if you are putting in some good training.

Carol
    All the best for your last long run. Then as you say it is taper time, with speedier shorter runs.

Jojo, i hope you are still making good progress with the IT band, yes painful massage, I do try and massage my own about once a fortnight. Also hope you are back to good health again. Banish all bugs.

Escargot
    we shall be jealous of your mountain scenery running on Sunday. Well I will be.

I ran another 5k on Wednesday, this time it is a first wednesday of the month race. Actually it isn't quite 5k, I quite enjoyed it. I managed to take the LV65 course record, by about 4 mins. I felt sorry for the lady, who after the record had been unbroken for a few years, broke it last month and then I turn up.

Running has been very pleasant this week, so much warmer and I have been loving the sunshine and blue skies. Although it is overcast today.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hi all!
    ceal - you should have your own record breakers programme! You rock!

GARETH PASSED!!!! So I have a chauffeur, no. 1 fan and and photographer all rolled into one now!

Feeling a little worse for wear today. Went out drinking last night and really don't know why I drank so much. Good company and conversation I guess! Still, I have managed to eat something now and just need to re-hydrate to make sure I can run tomorrow. You get a mug apparently so I definately want to do it - just for that!

Not sure that my training is up to much though. I think I should make sure I get out for a swim or bike ride today. Swim probably the sensible option as I don't want achey legs for tomorrow! Just not sure if any of the pools round here offer suitable sessions on a Saturday. Hmm....

Happy last long run Carol! I can't wait for your FLM report!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello

Well done Gareth

And not long to go now Carol. And i'm sure you'll do yourself proud.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hey Pammie! Long time no see!
    Hope you are ok. I saw on the daily thread you had a bit of a fall or something (?) and had poorly ribs or something...? From your picture I guess it hasn't put you off running too badly!!

No exercising today. Still too rough. So tomorrow will just be see how I fair, get some points for the club championship and get a mug!!! This is the year of great race momentos - towel in January, mug tomorrow, don't think I have had a medal yet though!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi Jen

Life has taken a bit of a dip of late

March 14th, out running fell on my chest on the pavement not that i'm big on top lol. Did my ribs in and then having mum rushed into hospital hadn't run at all since this morning a whole mile, and that knackered me.

Ribs still sore but managed it without real pain, i worry at times i'll not have enough time to train up for Dublin, even though i know i should be alright barring any other calamities.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Oh dear ((((((Pammie)))))). Hope life calms down for you. You have such a great base though, this isn't going to hold you back I wouldn't imagine.