Options

Sub 3:15

Comments

• Options
    Paul - at least I know I'm not alone. Last week was terrible, I was struggling to keep myself awake most of the time. I've put it down to catching up on much needed recuperation, plus we have both played football and other activities (gym etc).

Must of slept for 3 to 4 hours after football on saturday!
  • Options
    Bjorn,

You're probably right :-) Am looking forward to football, but there's a little matter of some of my students work to read first (this BSc dissertation reading is so time consuming ;-) )

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It seems most of us have been feeling sleepy then!

I've decided not to run today. Will eat and sleep again I suppose:o)
  • Options
    Hilly - you can come an play football if you like ;-)

Anyway, I guess you won't be coming, so enjoy your food, and sleep well !!
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    I have to agree on the 'sleep' aspect.

I spent most of last week off sick from work and was grabbing around 10 hours sleep per day, and I didn't even finish the marathon!

Hilly, I've never run the Stroud Half but I've been told on more than one occasion what a great race it is, so I'll definitely consider it this year....and it'll be 4 weeks after Berlin for me.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Paul, I live in house that football is the main focus and so I have to put up with many aspects of the game. I'll leave the playing of it to you men. I know females do play, but not this one, she'd prefer to paint her toenails and eat chocolate:o)

What toenails I've got left!

SB, might see you there then. 4 weeks sounds about right a recovery period for a half. It'll be 5 weeks after NF for me, which I thought would be ideal as long as no injuries occur!
  • Options
    Sleep ..... yup WC, I like your style - a snooze during the performance is just the ticket. I am really looking forward to not getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, and my 3rd day off since 28th May ... the other two being the day before the marathon and the marathon itself.

It hit 44 C here today, but had cooled to 40 ish by the time I went out for a 1 mile "warm up" and then 4 miles steady. I was blowing hard with a high HRM and very dry mouth afterwards - despite going only just quicker than 7 min miling. Rehydrating now, and will take some electrolytes too. People who do the Marathon de Sable must be utterly utterly nuts (although I must admit it has a peculiar appeal).
  • Options
    I am quite lucky with my football in that I get to play on Wednesday afternoons (as part of my job) so it doesnt affect my long runs at the weekends. I have also been told today by the team manager that i am "definately needed for the coming season". So I am in 2 minds now about giving up. If I am honest though i think my old advantage of being a heavy fat knacker that was hard to get round and push off the ball has now gone due to the 2 and a half stone weight loss i have experienced since i started trg back in August!

hilly - I will have a gander at the New Forest, do you know anything about Robin Hood, if so do you know which is the faster course? I must admit to liking an undulating course though. The downhill bits are great!

My first proper speed session tonight, didnt try anythin to mad just 4 miles with some sprints and a fast last mile. I was absolutely ballbagged!

I have entered 2 more races in my quest for speed, Marlow 5 miler on 8 May and Oxford Town and Gown (10k) on 15 May.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    DM, we can see what your next challenge is likely to be then:o)

Swanny, sorry don't know anything about Robin Hood apart from I think he stole from the rich to give to the poor:o) Sorry couldn't resist!

Seriously, it's not one I've looked into, but I'm sure someone will have done it if you post a thread on General or Events.

NF, is a beautiful area and I have to admit I really like undulatiing courses too. I understand there's still plenty of flat on the course and undualtions aren't severe.

Be careful going straight back into speed training! I've been told not to do any speedwork apart from a few 200m strides before my 10k on 11th May to allow the legs to fully heal. Even though they feel ok, too much too soon can be a recipe for injury.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Swanny - I've done the Robin Hood half - it's a good race - very well supported (it like a mini London) and it has the advantage of energy drinks and water laid on for you. The second half of the mara is supposed to be a bit different as most people just do the half and there is a lack of crowd support - still it's relatively flat if a little exposed (the 2nd half that is) if its windy.
  • Options
    DM Yes MDS is strangley appealing. Pretty much a two year waiting list though! Should give us enough time for training!!

No I haven't entered, but maybe in a couple of years, once I've adapted to this running lark.
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    DM, 40C! I can’t begin to imagine how it feels to run in that temperature. At least, though, if you race in the UK on one of those rare hot summer days, you will find it a breeze whilst everyone else wilts. With regard to MDS, whilst I was in Morocco a couple of years ago, one of the trips I went on took in part of the course, near the Algerian border. I ran for about a minute across the sand but even that felt tough...

Hilly, glad you’re feeling less tired now. With regard to racing post-FLM, I’ve been astonished to hear of runners who were posting (very) fast times at London also racing well at the weekend.

Well, I’ve only managed one 2,000 metre swim and one 6 mile easy run since FLM, but my cold appears to be on the wane at last....

Swanny, I’m thinking of racing the Marlow 5 too, so maybe see you there….
  • Options
    I ran a 16k race across sand dunes last summer in China. Took 3hrs; Not being able to run properly because of the soft sand (and the blisters from sand getting into shoes & socks) was much worse than the heat. Horrid experience! MDS completely banished!
  • Options
    ...any ideas of my doing MDS...
  • Options
    Just thinking about the FLM next year and i wondered what kind of time you guys think im capable of :-

My pbs are

5KM - 18.51
    10KM - 39.04
    1/2 Marathon - 1.27.05

I have run for two years and currently average about 35 miles a week.

Also how many miles did you train per week to get your sub 3.15 times.
  • Options
    Hi Gary,

There was a wide range of mileages among the group, many of the more successful results came from the higher mileages akin to those in the 'Mike Gratton Hard Training' thread, but others achieved great results on not much more than 50 miles per week. I'd say from your times if you get a good period of training and have good base mileage then you'd be well on track for sub 3:15.

My recovery seems to be going well now, even managed a good interval session at lunchtime and yesterday laid to rest the demons of the last 6 miles by running the the last 3 as an out and back from the office in 44 mins. Roll on the next race ( & no, this will not be MDS, ever!)
  • Options
    Ok, from all the strenuous denials, it sounds like we are all doing the MDS in 2007 then ! Right.

No, never, absolutely not, over my dead body, give me a lobotomy first, no, I said no, ok maybe no means maybe … maybe, I give in, just this once ...
    But here is a better option which I am thinking of :-

Sahara marathon
    Humph - I am pleased to hear your recovery is going well.

Gary, with those times you are clearly have the potential for sub 3:15, but it all depends on building the mileage and strength. I did 3:13:39 on about 40 - 45 miles a week (max 55) this year. I put more miles in 2004 and was slower - so quality of mileage, tapering, resting etc is also very important. I am also more of a darts player in build than Victoria Beckham which tends to take its toll later on.
  • Options
    Welcome GARY, it sounds like you have definately got the potential for 3.15. I just managed 3.17 and my most recent (and only) half time is 1.31. Just make sure you follow a good programme, you may be able to break 3hrs!

hilly - Thanks for the info on Robin Hood, i knew i should have listened at school. Also thanks for the advice about speed work. I did 8 x 60 seconds up hill tonight and i ended up knackered again. I cant believe that only a week ago I managed to run (and a bit of walking but i wont go on about that) 26.2 miles. What a difference a week makes. Having said that i have never done proper speed trg before so its no surprise that it is really taking it out of me.

SusieBee - That would be great to meet you at Marlow 5. Its my first short race so i have no idea how i will fare and i havent really got a target in mind (i better get under 34 minutes though otherwise i will be pretty upset). I will play this one by ear.

Popsider - Thanks for the info on Robin Hood.

I think at the moment NF is looking a little more likely, Logistics at the end of the day. Its probably the closest and im used to running undulating courses in trg.

Another question (sorry im such an amateur) - Im thinking of getting a HRM, i have never used one before. Im aware that polar make some damn good HRM that are compatible with most gym equipment which is a bonus but now theres these garmin forerunners which do the speed/distance thing aswell. Is it worth going for a forerunner 301 (or is the HRM on it a bit basic), do i need the speed distance thing? or do i go for a decent polar? Is it worth getting a HRM at all?

Please help!
  • Options
    Which training method did you use for your Sub 3.15, i have got a copy of the Runners World Sub 3.15 schedule and thats looks good but is there any others which are better.

Also if i dont get into London next year is there any other Marathons around Feb/March/April which are good for beginners.

• Options
    Hi all
    8 miles clocked tonight in glorious sunshine. 60 minutes. The heavens opened up afterwards :-)

Shiny head feature is now beginning to peel after catching too much sun at FLM! Oh well.

Next race looks like being Stroud Beer race. Must get my permit sorted from Mgt.
  • Options
    8.5 veery muddy x-country miles clocked in 70 mins.

ooooo! it's to be running for runnings sake.
  • Options
    I'm happy to be out and my excuse to myself is that I need to get my new trainers bedded in, and get some value out of them.

Perhaps it's time to work out some new routes?
  • Options
    pizza man
    Did you have your name on the front of your vest (white card?)if its you I passed you at about 17mile mark,how did you do?
    I had a cwl vest on but so did hundreds more
  • Options
    swanny-mate of mine bought a compined speed/hrm hates it sorry only info I have he is now buying a HRM on its own

Gary Stevens-I am in the process of recording or should I say rewriting on the computer so others can read it my 13 week training plan which I used for London
    managed 3hr 8min using it e mail me with your address and I will send it you

Stephen Jones 11- I to past Pizza Man around the 17 miles mark what time did you do

if this gets confusing I have just changed my nikname from world champion
  • Options
    dawbs
    I did 3.08.03 getting a gfa place hopefully.
    Attempting to go sub 3 hrs next year.
  • Options
    I think everybody passed me at about 17 miles!

I recovered though and crept in in 3.19.

having "Go Pizza Man" on a laminated bit of paper worked a bit to well. Got a bit carried away with all of the cheers and died between 18 and 24.

Congrats on your times guys. I've got to go and do another one now ;0)
  • Options
    Helllllllooooooo ?

It's too quiet in hear, where have all my friends gone ? :-)

Have had a nice easy week (in training terms) due to work commitments, but have a nice weekend of training planned.

Hope to rejuvinate this thread :-) (actually, I think it needs CPR !! )
  • Options
    push 1000, push 1000, push 1000, push 1000 ....... ventilate, .............check for S.O.L ........... push 1000, push 1000 .........
  • Options
    PM LOL !,

Glad to see someone else in the thread - think they must have all gone on their post FLM holidays :-)