Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I am hoping for 34C as thats the temperature I have been training in this year and since this will wipe out everyone else then maybe I will have an unfair advantage.... but then with the Daily Mail reporting that 12 out of the last 14 weekends have rained I suppose that means there is an 85% chance of rain with an average summer temperature of about 22C this year.
  • Options
    We have just posted all the race packs of people entered thus far. You should receive them in the next few days.

If you haven't entered yet, see you website for more information.

I haven't got the tide table to hand, but will try to find it out...

Latest longterm forecast:

Further unsettled weather is forecast for the start of September.

Low pressure areas look set to continue sweeping in from the Atlantic and the rainfall will keep totting up. Above average totals are to be expected everywhere but Wales and the southwest looks set for a very soggy spell.

Thanks to the rain both temperatures and sunshine totals look set to struggle. However, the rather wet and windy spells should at least keep things mild overnight so we can hold off digging out the windscreen scrapers for a while
  • Options
    Managed to push out 20 miles today and felt crap!

JJ - got to agree with you on the weather, snow would be fantastic.
  • Options
    Excellent....it always feels "real" when the race pack arrives.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.....I think !!!!
    Several long runs up to 22m in the bag with 50m a week totals....now into taper with the exception of a 10k on Sunday, which I will run rather than race.
  • Options
    You're all scaring me with your preparation. Since May I have run:

- A couple of 10k's
    - 1 half marathon
    - 1 longish run of 17 miles

Hmmm. Think I may be unprepared. Not sure I'll hit my usual 3.50, but hey just getting round would be OK.

Using this as a training run for Venice end of October so not fussed by time, but I know it's going to hurt.

The improtant stuff, is there a pub near the finish????
  • Options
    JJ - If I get sub 4 for this, my first, I will be happy.

Also

if you recall the Harvel thread i said you looked younger and fitter*, not only I thought this but Pants as well. Now we have Ashley saying "must be you are getting younger". So stop fishing for compliments with this "I'm bl**dy old" nonsense :-))

* By fitter I mean in the fitness sense rather than being erm........ you know...........erm.... 'Fit looking'!
  • Options
    Last run was 13 miles after some prat jumped in front of train at St. johns two weeks ago so it was quicker to run home than wiat for the trains to rectivy themselves. Result was I pulled my Achilles and can't run up stairs at moment... I am treating this as taper! So last proper run remains at 25 1/2 miles at the beginning of August.

34C would be fine. The only reason for wanting snow is to have the race postponed. (refers to Thanet 20). Also if it snows the water station at mile 8 will dissappear as my wife and family (who are maning it) will not come out for a cold, mind you 34C is too hot for them as well so I guess 22C warm, slightly sunny with overcast spells may be more preferable to them.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Take about 10C off that Ashley & we're talking good running weather.
  • Options
    Gavo are you referring to 22C or 34C?

12C is fine for a 10 mile race but for us slowees that are staggering around after 4 hours (plus) 12C is very very cold. I would like 34C around the 3:30 mark as this is when I am into the walking mode, I am happy with the 12C for the first six mile, although it would be nice if we could have 22C at the start so I am not too cold before we set off.

A light drizzle every five miles would be nice to help cool us down as well. DB2 can you fix this?
  • Options
    My 'easy-running-only' training plan has got me to 90 miles for the last fortnight including a 17-18 miler yesterday.

Hoping for a 4.30 off that.
  • Options
    I've put in a special word about the weather with someone who is in the know, but they haven't responded yet... :-)

djb
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    No cos the seaweed down here pongs too much!
  • Options
    Dear All,

Mark and I have taken a view about people who have not entered yet.

WE WILL NOT BE TAKING ANY ENTRIES ON THE DAY. EVEN FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE 20 MILE VOUCHERS.

Essentially we will take late postal entries that arrive on or Before Wednesday 31st, as long as our race limit is not reached. You will have to phone or email to confirm you are in. Please include a large SAE for results. IF you are in you will need to collect your number on the day before 9am. Ensure you include your payment and entry form!!!

Anything that arrives on Thursday 1st Sept onwards , (i.e. Friday or Saturday) will not be entered and simply returned to you.

We have to do this as we will are so close to our race limit and do not want people to travel when they are unlikely to get in on the day.
  • Options
    JJ
    I think my kids weed in the sea, so I guess they did feel the seaweed.

I wonder if thats why it smells so bad?

Well that killed the thread...
  • Options
    DB2 might be worth mentioning at this point the Quicksand 15 (which may only be 15 miles so mid way between half and full...OK it will feel like it!).

It will be my first attempt this year at the Quicksand although being just after the marathon it will be more of a slowsand or lap of honour!!! Or will I still be out running the marathon?
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'll be at Quicksand as well. More Margate nonsense...
  • Options
    JJ not realy.. the only one i know usually results in me falling from great height.
  • Options
    Hi David,

Are we allowed to take MP3 players for the race?

Cheers.
    -E-
  • Options
    Hi folks - I'm doing the half and have been training for hills, but how hilly is it?

Got my race pack this morning so getting excited now!
  • Options
    BDB - define hills...

There are some mild undulations that may require minimal extra effort. but nothing like Safaricom where I met a new meaning to the word downhill...

Refer to the following link taken at the top of the steepest and longest hill in the 2003 marathon.

http://www.smithfamily.me.uk/other events 2003.htm#Thanet Coastal Marathon 2003

I remember the photographer asking why everyone smiled for the photos when we were all supposed to be running up the toughest hill on the course.

• Options
    Hey Ashley, Great photo and a really good view of that hill, it doesn't look too bad :-O
    Does that bit have a name so that we can match it to the course description please ?
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Blimey Ashley, hill doesn't look that bad from that angle!!
  • Options
    I did the "Race the Train" in Wales on Saturday. There were some bits that you had to go up that were 45 degrees or more! It was a case of walk up them with your hands on your knees!

It was my "warm up" race for this Marathon. I think I will hardly notice a few little "undulations" after that.