Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Andrew. I ran 9 miles last night and struggled, so the thought of a marathon in 3 weeks scares me.

Which is why I'm doing it. Ran Prague in May and since then I've... erm, ahem, erm, gone to Portugal and ate and drank a lot?

Under 5 hours and I'll be happy (PB is 3.52)
  • Options
    Hi guys back from my little jaunt to sunny Switzerland makes the hills in thanet look like speed bumps!
    Update on the Tshirt Blue IS the new Black sorry to all you pinkies.
    A plea from our late entry executive AKA Mrs F PLease Please try not to enter on the day and if you do come early to avoid dissapointment both the Marathon and 1/2 are filling up quickly looks like we may have a record entry this year and we do have some restrictions on total numbers. Any Forumite who needs a late entry let either Dave B know or me and well make sure your in but there is still time to get your entry in via post or Internet.
    see you all in just over 3 weeks!
  • Options
    JJ me as pacer hahahahahahha, will be glad of the company though as I give you a guided tour around the island, pointing out such exciting places as the pub I used to work in, the two hotels I tried to buy for £350k ten years ago and are now worth well inexcess of £2m in terms of the converted properties they are now, my parents house, my wifes parents house and of course the most important place of all Morrellis Ice Cream Parlor. I can also assist by ensuring that my support crew are at hand to cheer you on along the course, Now if the threat of that little lot doesn;t cause you to speed up and get that PB nothing will.

By the way Somebody did land thier Lear or Cesna on the Ms a couple of year back if I recall, I suppose if you were a French Pilot the Thanet Way would be an easy place to land, but you better watch out as they are more likely to over shoot the road and end in the Sea!!!!!
  • Options
    MF7, what hills? Have you changed the route then, I thought that there were a few minor inclinations around North Foreland and Broadstairs but no one said anything about hills.... mind you the speed humps through the private estate at North Foreland are a bit of a killer I suppose.

Is it too late for International entries, I have a couple of friends from Kenya who wants to enter, I think one of them has a PB of around 2:06 (marathon time gained in Kenya) and the other 4:33 (also in Kenya). Do you require any special imigration forms etc?
  • Options
    No nice little restuarant that I know of, although there are a couple in the town itself. I was thinking of maybe picking up some fish and chips as we pass along Margate Seafront and maybe a pint at the Nottingham Castle on the way back though!
  • Options
    International runners are welcome as long as they have valid entry permits/visas to the UK.

We had an enquiry from a South African who's PB is around 1:07 for the half.

I would suggest that your 2:06 runner may find the course a little winding to get a really fast time and may overtake the lead bike if he's not careful!

djb
  • Options
    just sent an email - have been ill but now back on it but will be in no shape for a mara - is it easy to change to the half?
  • Options
    Pottingshed. No problem changing to half just E-mail or call Dave Bennett or Me and we can get you swopped over.
  • Options
    Hi guys me again just thought I should let you all know the 1/2 is filling up VERY quickly and it is likely that we will reach our maximum number. If you want to run the half enter now. If you leave it to enter on the day you may be dissapointed sorry.

Still places for the "real event"

Ps I have posted this on the half thread as well.
  • Options
    JJ I guess if you run the full marathon you do both as the first half of the marathon course is the half course!
  • Options
    JJ you forgot the Thanet 10 which is run on the same course... Sorry but the Thanet 20 is a different course although I suppose you could always do a lap of honour around the airfield when you park up you astra on the runway... oh and if you use the lead cyclists bike you could do the Biathlon course as well. Now when are TRAC going to organise a Tri, its not like they haven't got any water in the area!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Biathlon? If it's running & biking it's a duathlon innit?

Sorry, bit behind the times here & not very well organised. Can anyone recommend somewhere cheap (but not too nasty) for accom in the area. Ta
  • Options
    My mum and dad back garden?

Or better still the outlaws place - thats where I usually stay. You get a good room (I have to share it though with my wife and son so its not all good) and the food is generally very good, although in past years the quantities have been a little on the small side, still this was rectified this year with massive portions.

Hmmm... I suppose an alternative could also be Smithies (no relation) opposite the start, or better still try the Fayreness - nice place, supurb food and the meeting place for the after race drinks, its about 2.5kn from the start line and we pass it on the way out and way back on the first half, and one the full marathon you just keep goiing straight through the finish line until you see the pint of cool refreshing beer waiting for you at an outside table on the cliff top overlooking the sea.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Right, I'll google them later. Cheers Mr S.
  • Options
    AShley... Your plan for getting to the Foreness after the Marathon is slightly remiss. It might involve you doing at 20000 mile detour as you'll be heading west not east as you finish this year.

Look at the course map

djb

• Options
    You seem to have gone very quiet, Corridore!
  • Options
    DB Fayreness and not Foreness. I think 26.2 + stagger to pub is fine, 20k detour is a stage too far!

JJ if you ask DB2 nicely he might let you use your bike instead.
  • Options
    Hi, as one of the Mrs Race Directors can i put out a plea that if any of you runners are bringing supporters and they are over 18 would they possibly mind helping out on water stations or marshalling?
  • Options
    Sharon

I may be have 4 supports on the day, but as 3 of them are over 80 years old and the 4th will be "marshalling" the other 3, I don't think they will be of much use to you. I suspect the mind would be willing but...

Sorry.
  • Options
    ...will I?
    ...won't I?
    ...will I?
    ...won't I?
    ...will I?
    ...won't I?

...sorrrrrrrrry AB...but it is a big daisy...

I think it is looking ominously likely! If I don't run, Mrs Race Director's daughter will either flay me alive or coerce me into marshalling Chav Corner...
  • Options
    SF Some of my support crew will be based at the top of Winterstoke Crescent on Dumpton Park Drive. (remember the nice lady with the hose pipe last year - my mother in law), I will ask next week if her he rest of the family mind doing a water station there - no promises but I can ask.... NB my kids will be there but since they are both runners - Christopher (age 10) is a vet FLM supporter who is too young for a water station but goes every year to dish out sweets. He would love to work dishing out water. Up to you.... if insurance is a problem we can always make it an un official station!
  • Options
    Our and SF if you can't accomodate no problem there will be a station there for all URWFRC members (eg anyone who posts here. Details will be posted nearer the time but for the past two years I have had a Poweraid station located there for anyone who has been on this thread.
  • Options
    Dear All,

You may have noticed that the race entries have now officially closed. However, we will take entries IF you contact us first in the next week or so. This is so we ensure that we do not overfill the race and run out of water or run out of energy gels for runners in the race and T shirts and medals for after the race.

You may contact either Mark or myself. Email Dave at: marathonrace@thanetroadrunners.org.uk OR telephone Mark on Thanet 584 909. Thanet code is 01843.

Regards

djb