Options

Very lightweight trainer suggestions

Comments

• Options
    considering the protons. not sure on the aei's - i would worry if they are restricted laterally
  • Options
    Those Vivo shoes aren't exactly the most fashionable looking shoes around! Why not just get some leaves and strap them together with pieces of twine?

At least the Puma H-Streets look the part......
  • Options
    To the shoe-design syndicate (!)- Having run twice around a local cricket pitch barefoot, and walking aroung the house barefoot, I'm getting a bit more sympathetic.

Putting on shoes this morning, it struck me that the main problem was that, particularly with socks, one's feet slip a bit in the shoe, unlike the firm contact with the ground you get barefoot. So, by way of shoe design, how about using a substance like Pritt, or Bluetac on the upper surface of a piece of flexible outsole, so that is sticks to your foot, then a strap of velcro around the ball of the foot, and perhaps another where sandal straps usually come (if you need a sole on the heel at all), to hold the sole firmly onto the foot.
  • Options
    Having suffered for the last fortnight with an acutely painful shin (suspected fracture), it has been great to do a few barefoot runs and see the pain vanish.

3 miles/day for the last 3 days - mixture of road and grass.

Even my minimalist shoes accomodate (or even cause) subtle failings in my technique that can clearly lead to trouble. I'll put them back on with some degree of trepidation...

• Options
    I'm mentally getting closer to doing a barefoot run, although I still have worries about glass, sharp stones etc.

I'm afraid I may have to leave the ranks of the hardcore 150-wearers. With the insoles in I get less rubbing on my instep, and if I'm blister-free at the end of the day (after 15 miles or so) then I'm keeping them in. I could feel the blistering starting after 3 miles last week without the insoles. I can happily live without cushioning but I need to have decent fit.
  • Options
    SVT, cricket pitches are good for barefoot running. They're carefully maintained and the grass is cut short and rolled, so you should see any problems.
  • Options
    BR - I was thinking of just doing one of my regular runs barefoot (no cricket pitches nearby) - concrete and tarmac paths may be hard but you can see what you're landing on! There are plenty of grass verges as well.

Maybe I should play golf barefoot at the weekend...
  • Options
    I did just over a mile barefoot on tarmac this morning and got several blisters on the soles of my feet.

Personally, I'm sceptical about going barefoot on any kind of grass. Getting a bit of glass stuck in your foot is one thing, but if you tread on a needle which has something nasty on it that's a rather different matter.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I like to run barefoot, but don't do it often enough. I find the best surface is on the beach near the water's edge where the sand is packed firm. I do occasionally run barefoot on the treadmill too, but it tends to cause a bit of friction under my feet.
    Thought about taking my shoes off yesterday afternoon around a football pitch because I've got a blister, but jogging round for a warm-up soon put me off with all the dog cr*p!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've just bought my first pair of racing shoes. I got Muzuno Revolvers as they mention being ok for mild over pronation and being last years colours they're half price:o)

I suppose 205g is still a lot to you minimalists'o)
  • Options
    hilly - I'm sure they make bricks lighter than 205g.

;-)
  • Options
    FFG, I've found the same thing. I notice my recovering stress fracture much more heel-striking " normal old style" in well cushioned shoes, than midfoot in minimalist shoes, or my one attempt barefoot.

BR, my cricket pitch wwas perfect for a few laps, or speedwork, but I can't help thinking 60-odd laps (SVTs 15ml run) might get mighty boring; a well cut golf course would be good, and hopefully fairly obvious if it is the kind of place to encounter needles, or even broken glass (I'll have to think where I can find one with reasonable access).

SVT, have you tried Vaseline to prevent the blister ?
  • Options
    TmR - I'd rather not have to resort to puting vaseline on my feet when other shoes (or even 150s with the insoles) don't cause problems.

P.S. I'll let you into a secret... it's actually 4 miles this morning, 3.5 miles late afternoon and 7.5 miles this evening rather than a real 15-miler. Still pretty tedious to do it all on a cricket pitch though! And given that the morning and afternoon runs are my way of getting to and from work, I'm not sure it'd be practical to only run on cricket pitches... :-)
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    SVT - a career as a groundsman beckons...

;o)
  • Options
    Or I could try and persuade the council that there are a serious lack of cricket pitches in the area, and they should lay around 3.5 miles of them. Okay, so they'll have to cut across the A5 and the West Coast mainline, but I'm sure the future of the national cricket team is more important.
  • Options
    On my barefoot run last week I took a detour and did a chunk on tarmac. On smooth tarmac there is no problem and I could run all day, but some of it is very abrasive. Need to get the feet stronger though, so I'll persevere...
  • Options
    Training tip - sandpaper in your shoes?
  • Options
    Pantman - I agree - I did 3m on country lanes on Sun - mostly smooth and lovely, with occasional sections rough and painful. Presumably this can be overcome through training, and the rough bits certainly discourage a lazy scuffing footstrike!

At the end, feet were warm and content - like they'd just had a wonderful massage!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I ran on tarmac by accident after picking up a blister and having to take my shoes off for the remainder of my run. It was about 1.5 miles and was fine for the first mile, but did start to get sore after that. Although I agree if the feet were tougher it would've been quite pleasant.

SVT, I'd hate to think what you'd call my other trainers which are far heavier than 205g:o)
  • Options
    (whispers quietly)
    I have a pair of Flyroc 310s - they weigh 310g and are very nice...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    (whispers back)
    that makes me feel better:o)
  • Options
    weird - having been dead cert. that i really *needed* big cushioning (NB854's, be in 1221's if they made my size!) - ended up running onto campus this morning in just floppy sandals - & various injury niggles that usually pester for the fist mile or so of a run before I'm warmed up weren't there! So - what's the best way for a dyspraxic severe overpronator with tendency to mucked up achilles, ITBS, knees, hips... to start on the barefoot thing? I mostly wear floppy-sandals (nearest thing to barefoot) in the summer, & I'm not particularly heavy - any advice?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    LDG, I ran 6 miles on the treadmill this morning without trainers, which is the furthest I've ever gone without shoes and it was the most natural feeling run I've ever had. Like you I had no aches in calves, which I always get or anywhere else for that matter.

I do over pronated, but only mildly, so I tend to wear performance trainers. Although on a recent gait anlysis they tried to persuade me I needed a more controlling shoe, which I just will not wear.

What confuses me is that without shoes I was told I do not overpronate, but as soon as I put them on I do. So surely I'd be better off with a minimalist shoe rather than a controle shoe.

Sorry not much help with how you should introduce barefoot running:o) Maybe, just do it for a few mins each day and see how you feel.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the spelling mistakes. My fingers are a bit fast on the keys sometimes!:o)
  • Options
    Ducky, If you're injured or coming back from injury it may be best to just go cold duck, erm, turkey!

Just start out with some very lighweight racers and never go back. www.fastfeet.co.uk for very cheap 150s...

The irony is that the cushioning is causing you to land with greater impact and the support is weakening you further.

You'll just have to start out with 5-10min runs and take it very easy...
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I am a novice to this just been looking at the Nike free

I over pronate a wee bit so have always run in a supportive trainer (Nike Perseus)

But have had lots of knee problems and a physio suggested orthontics I dont want to go down that route.

I think from reading back I should use racers?? never run without any thing on feet afraid of what I may step in!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mudrocs are the nearest thing to a minimalist shoe at present, & I don't often get injured on fell runs with them - but i'm also (attempting) training for a road ultra - what's the furthest anyone's done in lightweights?
    Last summer i did a bit of barefoot on the beach nr parents, but a friend reckoned that would mess up achilles so stopped.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I ran FLM this year in lightweights, LDG. Three years ago I ran it in heavy Nike Air Structure Triax and thought I was stuck with over-pronation shoes. Took a few months to get used to lightweights but it's the only thing that has allowed me to up the mileage in my training past the 30-35 per week mark.
  • Options
    I'm inclined to agree with you Chaos.
    I have been running properly for about 3 years and only when I started on the forefoot (sold to me by FG in early March this year) have I been able to get past the 40 mile p/week mark.