Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    Another one from the 10k thread! Despite my dreadful 10k I'm still hoping to go for the half! Doing another 10k in few weeks to prove to myself that I can do it properly.

As for training schedules - should I carry on running 10k regularly and build up from there (I've only just got back up to 10k - was only running about 5k all winter) or should I ease off a bit and start working up again later?

*Toddles off to check myasics out...*
  • Options
    Well I've just got a myasics.co.uk schedule too. When do I start earning points towards an ice cream???
  • Options
    Boing!

Another one jumping over from the 10k thread!!

I LOVE this race. It was my one and only sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon in 8 - 9 years of running two years ago, and running over the Kingston Bridge last year was pretty fab! Bit worrying how the Police dinghy was sitting in the Clyde though!
  • Options
    so whats this myasics.co.uk thing is it any good?
    i was looking at the the training schedule on this website for a 12 week training programme
  • Options
    Boing - here comes another!!
    Hi all from the 10k thread.

My aim for this - all being well - and hoping that I have now had my fair share of injury and illness and can get back into adecent training schedule - is to aim for 1.50.

My current PB for a half is 1.54 and that was quite a comfortable run last year so am hoping that with an improved schedule and a slightly harder push that this is a realistic aim.
  • Options

Stampi- mine does that too but I just shift things around to make it a bit more doable.

FF- you have to log some training before they give you ice cream. WHat do you think of the schedule? Anything like the one you followed last year?
  • Options
    The myasics thing seems quite weird - the schedule it's given me doesn't involve running on regular days, but is all over the place!
  • Options
    I've set my training to start as of Monday - still not feeling 100% so am giving myself a week off.

Last year I ran 3 times a week, on a Tues I'd try and do a longish run. In the middle of my training I'd run home from work in Paisley to the west end of Glasgow - think this was about 10 miles. Then a Thurs I'd do my Jogging network session which was usually around 6 miles then I did the half marathon training at Scotstoun and the mileage upped every week. The schedule I've picked is to try and run the half in 1:50 with 4 sessions a week - one more than I'm used to. At least it gives me an excuse to go and buy more running gear!! I'm going to need to shift some of the sessions around as I do yoga on a Monday and Pilates on a Wednesday. I'm going to give it a go and see how it goes. I've never done a tempo run so that could be interesting! Last year when I was training I used my heart rate monitor and tried to keep my heart rate between 145 and 155. It was great for the long runs as I finished feeling quite fresh - well as fresh as you can after 12 miles!! I'm going to try and use it again this year as I felt it helped in terms of recovery as I wasn't feeling stuff etc after the long runs.
  • Options
    Well it looks like this is going to be my only chance at a half mara PB this year

I have replaced the other half I had planned with a marathon

So it looks like I will not be doing the double after all :O(

So ... sub 1:30 or I'll eat my hat!
  • Options
    I'll definitely be doing this one as I did it last year as my first ever half and absolutely loved it. Definitely the most enjoyable race i've run so far.

Did 2.09 last year but have since managed to get my PB down to 1.47 so I'll be hoping to get somewhere near that although it's such a good event I'll not be too bothered if I don't.
  • Options
    I found the new course last year a wee bit slower with the intro' of the Kingston Bridge but after that you settle into the usual flatness of the Glasgow streets. Great event with this one being my 10th appearance at it...do I get a special medal for that?? ;-)
    Good luck to the doublers on the day and well done to you all.
  • Options
    I've entered this, my first half marathon. Doing the East Kilbride 10km in June first which will be my first ever race.

Bit worried about doing half marathon as i only took up running in February when i could only run for 2 or 3 mins. Am now doing 10km in about 56 minutes. Any tips on upping my distance to the half marathon?
  • Options
    You sound just like me at this time last year Killiefan - I did my first 10k last June and the GSR was my first half that August.

Best tip I could give you would be to increase your running gradually. Like you, I couldn't run more than a couple of minutes without stopping at first but I found things getting easier over time and was able to increase the amount of times a week I would run from twice to four or five currently and the distance I could run at a time up to my long runs at the moment being up to 20 miles cos I'm now training for the Edinburgh Marathon.

The excellent atmosphere of the GSR will pull you through the last couple of miles if you're tiring then anyway I reckon.
  • Options
    Has anyone had acknowledgment of entry yet? I sent my form off on April 9th, and the form said all entries would be acknowledged within 10 days of posting. I emailed them a while back and received a reply on the 9th May to say I would hear within 2 weeks - still nothing! Anybody else had anything?
  • Options
    laurauk - i have had confirmation but I had a joint entry with the women's 10k. If they have cashed your cheque you will be fine.

have only managed 2 runs and a game of netball since last week - one magic 6mile forest track - felt great afterwards.

can anyone tell me what 'threshold' pace means? it is on my training schedule but i don't know what it means!
  • Options
    I applied online a couple of weeks ago but haven't been acknowledged yet. I was expecting it within the ten days but maybe they are snowed under
  • Options
    I haven't had an acknowledgement yet either.
  • Options
    Mum On The Run - threshold pace is 85% of your maximum heart rate, is you are using an HRM, and is therefore just below what should be race pace - mind you, just because I know this stuff doesn't mean I practice it! I can't keep my heart rate down much below what is supposed to be my max, even when I feel like I'm crawling!
  • Options
    I would agree with previous comments about increasing distance gradually. I tried to train for a marathon 2 years ago and quite simply did too much - ran about 5 miles every day without fail and soon got injured - shin splints etc that grumbled on and on. Did not do marathon!! This year I started in january, barely able to run a mile and have followed the runnersworld walk/run schedule. Yesterday i ran 21 miles and felt great. This was very slow of course and i am still walking 1min every 10. This is a good way of covering the distance however and I would recommend it to any beginner. After the Edinburgh marathon I will be training for the Glasgow half and hope to start to increase my speed a bit then.
  • Options
    Hi there

Just say I will see you all there in George Square for the half marathon...
  • Options
    So what training schedules are people using? I can run a 10k in about an hour and I don't know which schedule to use. There seem to be a lot out there!
  • Options
    Killiefan-as you have plenty of time until the Glasgow half just add a little distance (10%) to your long runs until you are regularly doing about 13 miles(more than that preferably).Try and do some speed work during the week every second week and on the other weeks do steady runs or hills.If you can enter some 10k races then you can see how your training is coming along.See you at E.K. as i am doing the Half Marathon

Birdwoman-just pick a schedule that you feel would suit you best, you do not have to follow it religiously but you can chop and change a few things to suit yourself.If it tells you to do 10 x 400m reps you dont have to if you think that will be too much drop it to 6 or 7, i think it is better to do 5 or 6 quality speed reps rather than struggling to finish 10.Why dont you try and join a running club then you can train with people who are of the same ability as yourself or train with those who are slightly better if you want to improve your times.

Good luck with whatever both of you choose
  • Options
    birdwoman - the my asics shcedules are pretty good, but a tad aggressive. I have started doing my own schedules now especially as i am doing theadvanced fit2run BTEC certification. What I tend to do is get hold of 2 or three different schedules and then develop my own using different elements from each.
  • Options
    well guys, feeling quite downhearted this evening and need some motivation.so though i would share with you

had my worst run ever today, had a 10k route planned, first time i have done that distance since race on 15th of May. was running for 30mins and just felt drained and so thirsty, had no water and tried to continue to plod, went to a walk and from then on it was a disaster! even sat at side of road (very paulaesk athens style)
    felt sick and it started to rain and was cold, had stopped at furthest away point from home and walk/run back.

have been running on my own since the race a couple of weeks back and miss my running partner coz she spurs me on when i get tired.

findgers crossed its just a blip and am back on track soon.
  • Options
    I've just done my first run since the 10k - took me 2 weeks to get of my cold - and boy did I struggle. Only did 6K but it felt like 60K!! My legs were heavy and my breathing was all to top.

On a positive note, I've earned 2 big ice creams on my asics program!!

Casslass - try not to get down. We all have good and bad days. Have you tried running with one of the RunAid water bottles? I can't live without mine. I take it on all my runs - even the short ones.
  • Options
    Take heart Casslass even the great Paula had a bad day at the office if it can happen to her it can and does happen to everyone.By the sound of it you were probably a little dehydrated.
  • Options
    casslass and Feckly - I have not had a particularly great couple of weeks either. It also took me over a week to get rid of my cold and throat thing. I have also been having problems with palpiations - no pian just lots of them. ECG OK, BP & HR Ok and the GP reckons ectopic beast cos my heart rate is low. It has now all but vanished after having been constant for about 2 weeks - weird or what.

Now, i am off to the sports injury clinic at Hamden!!! My left leg still not comfy and so i suspect that the recovery from my pelvic thing over the winter is not quite as advanced as i thought.

I am finding it very hard to motivate myself to race and enter events when every run involves discomfort down my left leg.

So we will just need to encourage each other!
  • Options
    oh dear, we do sound like an awful sorry for ourselves lot. we will be back into it soon.
    was going to go out today but its so bucketing it down i dont want to get a cold, what a woose eh!
  • Options
    i know how you feel casslass, im looking forward to a good run tonight but i haven't quite got into the running in the rain yet. hopefully it will clear up by tonight
  • Options
    Hi all. Casslass and freefall - hope you're both starting to feel a lot better soon - sometimes it does take our bodies longer to recover from things than we expect. Hang in there, it will get easier eventually.

Killiefan - I love running in the rain! I feel like a big kid when I get out there and get soaked - not having to worry about getting wet, or what I look like is so liberating - I love it :) I'll run in any weather, but hate the wind.

I'm using the schedules recommended by some of the runners over on the 10K and half marathon thread, but Hal Higdon - http://halhigdon.com The one I'm using is the novice one, as this is my first attempt at this distance, and I like to way the programme is constructed. I used the Asics site for my 10K, but didn't like the structure of the half schedule it came up with for me, so went to HH's site - which I have to say I like a lot, the guy is very exerienced and obviously knows his stuff.