Options

Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Options
    Seren - that's marvellous, congratulations. Especially with your boy helping you along the way, that's just brilliant. You are an excellent athlete and a superb parent.
  • Options

Well done Seren....you did well. A few of the more seasoned 3M runners really felt the heat today so your disciplined run stands up very well indeed....and a few of them use that path as their training route week-in week-out so know it's characteristics inside out!

RK - I would have made arrangements to meet you if I'd thought about it....I spectated at the 10 & 13 mile turn at Burry Port in the morning & then at roundabout about 200 metres before the 26 mile marker in the afternoon. I was at the finish with my wife & son for the 4hr+ finishers.....and my son had a flat tyre on his mountain bike!  I was wearing my Scotland rugby shirt & chunky green shorts that make my legs look as skinny as pine-needles!

Regards to all.

Can anyone tell me with 100% accuracy what the weather will be like in London next Sunday?!!

• Options

Cheers Boffin.  Hope life in the caravan is a bit better now that we have sunshine image

GraV - lets hope its not too warm for you all. Today must have been a killer.

Well done all you who supported too.

As I said, I have had my head stuck in books most of the day trying to do an assignment.

• Options
    "Can anyone tell me with 100% accuracy what the weather will be like in London next Sunday?!!"

Probably 28 degrees if I know my luck ! The number of times I have started with the forecast saying 9 and I have had a toasting I have lost count of.

Got a swelling on the inside of my left ankle. It is a strain to my posterior tibalis. It has been a small niggle for a few weeks and has been stopping me getting up on my toes : it has made me run fairly flat-footed for a while. Had it looked at by the osteopath on Thurs, ran yesterday and it niggled a bit bit it was not happy today. Has no effect on my walking whatsoever, can't even feel it, but it is the running that is the problem.

Seren, you are a hero, really. I do so admire you (in a sporting and inspirational sense you understand).
  • Options

NR- Great to see you today, just like old timesimage

WA- What have you done again. I'm sure you will bounce back quickly enough to kick my butt again next sunday, just like that other one legged sprinter- Fastlegs.

Well done Seren- great effort

• Options

Hello again

You too Pdiddy.  Was like old times as you say.  

WA - oh dear.  I would recommend Rose, the sports therapist but this close to the marathon you don't want too much treatment I suppose.  What a pain.

Seren - you and your family are amazing.image

Bedtime for me image

• Options

"WA- What have you done again. I'm sure you will bounce back quickly enough to kick my butt again next sunday, just like that other one legged sprinter- Fastlegs. "

We have both got our excuses in early ? If I fail to do well in London I can always call on the 'ankle excuse'. Wish you the best of luck next Sunday Pd, I am sure you will do well. Looks like I am off the road for the week though.
  • Options
    Cheers WA and same to you. Are you going from Blue start few PTH there so may get chance to see you before race.
  • Options

I am with the muppets in the GFA pen on the Red start. I would actually prefer the blue start but hey-ho ! There will be far too much testosterone swimming about at the front of the red start methinks.

You got a target time. I have 3, 2:59, 3:05, 3:09 and will probably not make any of them !
  • Options
    Did have a target of 3.15 not sure I am running well enough for that. So, 1st target is to beat last years 3.31 and then hopefully sub 3.20 if i'm on a good day.
  • Options

It's always a good day, it was even a good day when I had the trots and ran / walked to 5:22 glory image (or is that ignominy ?)

My strategy was, as long as I could hold my nerve, to go for it even if I have to walk. Seems like I may be better off joining FL for a 3-leg race. Apparently he was considering going for the record as the fastest runner dressed as a vegetable. Looks like I may be able to give him some stiff competition on that front now.
  • Options

Morning allimage

Alex, hows the foot mate? hope you on the mend. or are you joining me dressed as a LIMP lettuceimage.

The strap I have been wearing all last week to help my dodgy knee has dug into a tendon on the back of my knee and am know struggling to walk with itimage. So like your self Alex I too am off the road all week and have my excuse ready in advanceimage.

Pdidy, you will get that sub 3:15. You were running very well yesterday. go for it, its just about having the confidence.

• Options

injury central here.............still can't believe that the one place that didn't hurt was the hamstring that has given me problems for the last 3 weeks.............I only ran 4 miles last week to try and rest it as much as possinble and it seems to have worked........

I wish i could have stayed for a massage yesterday but the kids had already been out the house from 6:15 so thought better aim for home......

I will get one tomorrow but nothing beats getting one straight after a race....

going to concentrate on swimming and cycling for the next few weeks as its les than 8 weeks to Bala tri

positive vibes to all for healing for next weekend..i will be having breakfast in bed whilst watching it on tellyimage

• Options

Hello all

Seren - how do you do it?  You are like Superwoman!

WA - sorry to hear you are off road for the week.  Rest up and you will be fine. You are fit so a few days of no training will be okay.

Same for you FL. You have trained hard.  Fingers crossed for both of you for next week.

Pdiddy - you will do well.  As FL, believe in yourself, you will do it image

Looking forward to supporting you all along the way image 

• Options
    Thanks NR. Are you running today?I think they are doing a 5k time trial at speedwork tomorrow. Same as you did last week. Why not give it a try? see how your going?
  • Options

Seren is not like Superwoman, she is Superwoman !

I am not limping, walking fine, but just can't run. Can feel my ankle this morning and there is still swelling. More drugs for me I think. Perhaps there will be some sort of slow-motion race between the injured next Sunday then. I do feel like a vegetable too.

Is it less than 8 weeks to Bala ? Blimey, I had better build my bike back up and do some cycling, and swimming. Have not done any swimming for a while. Mind you, I didn't prepare for Bala last year either.
  • Options

you don't need to prepare alex........I have to defend my title thoughimage

I love it when you call me superwoman and you lot are all the fast runners... ...............imageimage

NR if you were on form you could have won yesterday.

the mens winner was 9 mins in front of the second place one..........on one of the loop yesterday they went past us on their second turn of the loop..they were at mile 13ish and there were 3 of them talking away and a bit infront of the next runners..................I did think that it wouldn't be long before the talking stopped and the race began..............can't believe that in the second half one of them put 9 mins between then and the othersimage

• Options

Maybe he took a short cut image
  • Options
    Morning folks, another warm one it seems

How you feeling today Seren? Not too stiff I hope?
  • Options

Thanks Seren.  Next year maybe?  Hope you are okay today.

Nice swim for me this evening.

WA - such bad luck. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

FL - I am not up to speedwork just yet. Seems I need to run slower .  Thanks, will see you soon for training..

• Options

went for a swim tonight with the boy......thought it would ease off some of the stiffness.... but the pool isn't open to the public on a monday evening.......image I keep on thinking i'm fine but the quads are hurting getting up or doing stairs.

so hopefully if it is dry in the morning i will try for a gentle bikeride... got a massage booked for after lunch.....

• Options

Evening all. 

Take it easy Seren!

Setting my alarm to go running before work tomorrow (6:00am). Watching the marathon yesterday has really spurred me on!

Kev

• Options

Well done Kev.  Watching a race is always inspirational.

Seren - enjoy the massage.  Hope your legs will feel like normal soon image

• Options

Evening,

My ankle feels better but is far more swollen image

Kev, just get to it. Humming the theme from the 'Eye of the Tiger' works, as does The Trap by Ron Goodwin.
  • Options

Morning All.

Hope the swelling comes down soon Alex. Are you doing VLM? Is anyone on this thread doing VLM? 

Managed to sneak a cheeky three miler in before work. Feeling good now. Will check the Trap out later Alex.

Off to work now. Catch you all later.

• Options

Morning all

Alex, looks like your still in the hop zone with meimage. Hope it gets better soon mate.

Rest for me last night and again today! knee still soreimage.

Kev, Yes Alex and myself are going for the world record hop in VLMimage.

• Options

all ready to go out on the bike at 8 this morning ....looks lovely out there.........will take my old rusty hybrid onto the cycle paths and have a lovely little gentle ride...somewhere between 15 and 20 miles will be enough for todayimage

healing vibes going out to the VLM hopefuls.......

got an email telling me that I could apply early for next year as I had 2 rejections......image...took another phonecall to remind them I had sorted this out twice and I have 5 rejections ... so awaiting for a different email in the next few days.......

• Options

MOrning all

WA - sob sorry to hear that.  Hope the swelling goes down soon.

FL - you too.  How awful with only a few days to go.

Seren - thats great.  Hopefully I will be running next year too.

Kev - you have got the bug big time image

• Options
    Healing vibes to the hopping marathon hopefuls.

Did GNR last year and they had Eye of the Tiger playing really loud all the way through mile 11. It was brilliant, the mile flew by.

Seren - me too! I got an email saying I had three rejections but I'm sure it's five. Problem is, I never thought to keep any documentation at the time, so can prove nothing. I'm annoyed though, I thought I would get automatic entry next year, now it turns out they are scrapping that system and I am fobbed off with early entry to the general ballot. Even if we can persuade them it's five entries, we still don't get the automatic entry do we?
  • Options

morning

yes Tracey, you do still get automatic entry, they are phasing it out over the next 5 years, so anyone who already has some rejections will be included. From now on, it's not happening

I had my last session with Wayne the Pain yesterday. I'll be run walking the whole thing and will fine I think up to 15 miles or so, then we'll see. I've set myself a target of 6 hours which is more doable - you speedy types, just don't let my guiness get too warm will you?