Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

DG- thanks for the reassuring wordsimage It is good to know that i am not the only one struggling to do everything well. I have had depression/anxiety once before and am terrified of having it again. Moderate running actually helps me to keep the symptoms at bay.

Flossie- well done on the weight lossimage! That's brilliant. I would keep up the cycling- look at what it has done for Mr. Bump's running!

Shades- fingers crossed for your job security. You have a very sensible attitude though- no point worrying about something you have no control over. Would love to meet you and VR and Flossie at NF. I will enter today.

LB- there is a lot to be said in favour of doing local races- no travel or accomodation costs are a big bonus.

(((((HY4)))) hope you are 100% by the weekend.

I am still feeling below par- i think i have a low grade virus. I don't feel too bad in the mornings but by early evening i have swollen glands, sore throat and headache.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

SiJ,

So do I. There's Swine Flu at Chris' works & in his dept and some people in the same area I work in have kids who go to the same schools as other kids who have Swine Flu, however I don't appear to have had a temperature so far only some of the other symptoms.  Someone in my team went home yesterday & has been told to stay off until they're okay.

Be careful with your lurgy.  The lurgy I had last year taught me a few lessons, (it lingered/took me about 7-8 months to get shot of it completely).

• Options

SiJ/HY - Hope you recover speedily.

Shades - Glad your job is secure for the moment, hope all works out well in the end.

Frustrating day at work but home eventually. Was asked to work another afternoon off this week to cover juniors teaching time but was too fed up to agree. Basically the organisation is saving a fortune in locum costs while my colleague is off and expecting me to do it for nothing, a bit much when I'm meant to be part time. GRRR as VR would say.

Had a good but sticky run in the heat before tea yesterday not sure have the energy tonight but a walk might be nice later.

LB - Not so small Fay who missed the boat on Sunday stayed at friends flat in Aberdeen, methinks if he hadn't had that to fall back on he might not have missed his train! Not being very sympathetic at the minuteimage. I have had really good NB shoes but then got a new pair which were too tight which put me off a bit. They also have a factory shop in Keswick and I think some other places in the North where they are heavily discounted.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Elspeth,

Thanks.

• Options

HY4 - OH is poorly but with no temperature just like you.  I'm feeling a bit off but that might just be knackeredness.  It would be interesting to know what would show up if they were still swabbing people to diagnose swine flu.

At work we are getting frequent briefing on what actions the hospital is taking.  I think the idea is to try to reduce cases but also to plan for staff shortages etc.  Visiting is down to an hour a day. no under 5s unless exceptional circumstances and staff training cancelled from 3rd August which is when they are expecting staff cases to peak.  There were actually more off than predicted last week though so who knows!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

Chris has said that there's another bug/lurgy going around at the mo & Chris thinks I may have that.  So we'll just have to wait & see.

• Options

Hi all

Went for a 5Km barefoot run tonight. Not completely mad got a pair of those Vibram Fivefinger shoes. Not run in them before and it is very odd not having any cushioning at all. However, had a niggle behind my left knee and think it is due to the way my foot was landing.

Really helped work things out as you are forced to concentrate on what your feet, legs, etc are doing. Legs and feet feel ok which is a suprise as I thought I would be a broken man after 5 minutes. Think I will run barefoot at least once a week to help improve my form.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

James,

I've never been brave enough to try them and every so often run in a pair of Puma H Streets because they're very stripped down.  I keep promising myself that I'll run more in them & I think now after doing my ankle in a couple of months ago I'll definately try & make more of an effort because I know it strengthens things more.

• Options

LMH - swam 500m in all (250m freestyle and 250m breaststroke - head in the water mind).  Proper nursey job could be good if the hours are right and you can fit training around it as long as the pay is what you're looking for.  Are you interested in a specific area of nursing - this could pave the way to future studies.  image

LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I am going to do a yoga DVD later to calm down and then I will kiss my children and husband and thank God they're mine and relatively normal....image

LB - we should be grateful for great kids, we're very lucky.  image

Sluggie - glad your eye is better.  Enjoy sprint tri and let us know how you get on!  Losing weight is just doing what works best for you.  No, I don't eat teacakes!  imageimageimage

Sparkly - starting with Maths refresher course (MU120) and then going for Mathematics and It's Learning to become a primary teacher.  Love working with children and all those lovely holidays for training (like now).  image

Shades - thanks very much.  Still got 1st 10lbs to go, but by the time I see you will have lost a further 10 lbs.  Small mileage increase this weekend on a long run to 6 miles.  Physio went a bit easier on knees tonight.  You're OK for the time being with the job, but is it safe to stay?  You'll find time to pop out for the right interview and many of them will bother to see you out of hours for discretion.  image

SiJ - get some rest in, you don't sound well.  Too right will be biking at least twice a week.  Really looking forward to meeting you at NF - there's going to be a really big Shadies team there this year - yay!!!  image

James and HY4 - wow!  Intrigued, please let us know how you both get on with these shoes and your training for better form.  image

Sorry, didn't get back until late tonight, but Mum comes round for tea every Tuesday night and it seems rather rude to bounce onto the computer when she's here.  Only swam 500m today as swimming teacher kicked me out of the lane and the next lane was way too fast.  image  The alternative was to swim through flying water frisbees and zoodle battles.  image  Exit the pool and must opt to choose offpeak times in future. 

Nite nite.  Off to bed.  Speak tomorrow and it's a rest day for me as knees are beginning to throb already.  image
  • Options
    HY4/SB/SiJ and anyone else feeling under the weather - take care and get well soon. Master DG had the temperature etc, but recovered quickly from symptoms, but he's still tired out. Still not convinced it was swine flu, but we'll never really know.

LB - we got the TV today, so will be in tomorrow watching it!! (Apart from a trip to the tip with the old one). Come round here if you need to scream!!

Shades - Hope the position with the job becomes clear soon. Its easy to forget how time consuming applying for jobs is.

Elspeth - I can't believe they expect you to cover shifts for no pay - that is plainly ridiculous. Not surprised you didn't agree!

James - never heard of those shoes. What are they?

Thanks for all the kind words. I've been amazed at just how many people have been touched by depression. Looking back I can see times when its happened before (although never as badly), but work was always the escape so never got diagnosed before (I only went to the docs this time cos I needed a sick note) so I know I'll have to be careful in the future too. As you say LMH - early days yet.

• Options
    Flossie - I always seem to cross post with you! Well done on the swim. The course sounds good and well done on following through with your ambition to teach!
  • Options
    Si J wrote (see)
    I have decided not to do Berlin in Septimage I have been really busy at work recently and loads going on with chidren and schools etc, etc. I have been so stressed and busy that i haven't had time to eat enough and this has meant i haven't had the energy to do the training. I have still been running 3 times a week but not far enough.This week i have been suffering from  physical stress symptoms- headache, swollen glands and fatigue. So my body is telling me something.

It would also be a very expensive trip after paying for flights and accomodation and i only want to run it if i can do a decent time. So, i am 95 euros down for the entry fee but at least we hadn't gone as far as booking flights. I am feeling relieved now that i have taken the decision but also feel like a total failure for not doing itimage. I keep telling myself that i can't do everything and i am afraid that at the moment family and work have to come before running.

Si J - I just read a long way back at last and saw this. Just wanted to say I know exactly where you are coming from and this is exactly what I did with Midnight Sun Marathon in June - I backed out 10 weeks or so ahead rather than toss and turn about it for 8 weeks and then lose face and a lot of money by dropping out at the end or feel forced to do it, run it really badly and be eaten up about that. I am sure you have made the right decisions.

You're a lawyer aren't you? Mmmm...I think I have been having stress symptoms for a long time - I can't control my approach to work - it's obssessive and out of control. I am also noticing that I am becoming increasingly OCD about stuff and it is starting to worry me. I continually check my BlackBerry, can't leave my desk at night if my inbox goes off the page (have to have dealt with and filed enough emails away so that they fir onto the screen), that kind of thing. I am not sleeping well, have a lot of headaches and am eating badly again and too much caffeine.

We had bad news today. Our friend who had terminal cancer had died. She was 40 and spent her adult post-University life working all the hours God sends in London. Super successful career woman. When we saw her last month she was saying how much she regretted that. Makes you think.image Her OH called to tell me and I just didn't know what to say. No right words.

Sorry to bring the mood down. Hope everyone is okay. Sorry to hear about the uncertainty with your job Shades.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

BBS - so sorry to hear about your friend, but at least she's not suffering any more.  

You are right to take note of the warning signs that you recognise in yourself and perhaps start making small changes to get yourself back on an even keel.    Just make one change at a time, e.g. start eating healthily and when that becomes a habit then deal with another.

Elspeth - good for you for not giving in to the extra unpaid work.

LB - NB shoes are good and the choice of width fittings means you can get a good fit, I used to buy NB from the factory outlet.

Flossie - these days nobody's job is safe but I'll start to look around although can't do anything for a couple of weeks as I'm too busy.

• Options

(((BBS))) - so sorry to hear about your friend. In my (nearly) professional opinion it sounds as though you could do with breaking this obsessive behaviour now whilst it's still relatively manageable. Is their an imagined consequence to not doing these things?

Flossie - swimming off-peak is harder when the children are on summer holidays! Do you alternate lengths of FC and BS? Nursey job - if I get it - will pay approx half what my uni job does.

DG - I think we get more aware of the warning signs once we've been bad which in one way makes you a little edgy and nervous that you're going 'back down that road' but also protects you as you don't let it go so far again.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((BBS)))

At least your friend isn't suffering now.

Flossie,

James runs in these and when I can be bothered I run in these.  When the Virbram shoes first came out I did look at them however thought they wouldn't fit my very narrow feet and wanted a bit more support so went for the Pumas

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flossie,

Was you too quick for the lane you were in?  Well done on the swim.

DG,

Thanks.  With how I am today Chris thinks it's a cold however with everything which is going around I suspose you can't be too careful.

• Options
    DG wrote (see)
    James - never heard of those shoes. What are they?

Basically there are a piece of rubber you strap to your feet. (Link to site)

These are the ones I have

http://www.kayakshed.com/client/images/full/vibram_Fivefinger_Flow_camo-300.jpg

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

James,

Something like that may fit me because of how high they come up.  Can you get them in different widths?

• Options
    There are different version for men and women not sure if this affects the width. I have narrow feet and they are fine. They do stretch a fair bit.
  • Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

BBS - so sorry to hear of your bad news.

Flossie - you continue to impress with your weight loss, swimming, cycling, and studying.  I think you may have to wear a superwoman outfit for the NF half.  We have a line up of shadies attending this.  Should be good.  Hope we can meet at the start, as your all whippets in comparision to me.

DG - glad  your feeling  a better.

Last day at school today.  Finish at 2 oclock.  YIPPEEEE!

No excuse now not to get some serious training in.  Oh and have that NVQ to plod throughimage.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

HTF

Excellent.  I was going to have a mad hour or 2 with my NVQ this weekend, however with being told by doc not to go back until symptoms have gone I think I may do it bit by bit over the next 3 days.  Although I can't concentrate very well at the mo so may have to wait until the weekend anyway.

• Options

DG - thanks very much for your kind words.  Enjoy the new TV.  image

BBS - very sad news, but no more pain for her.  Echo what Shades and the others say.  Good that you recognise that things aren't right at the moment, but definitely one step at a time for you - healthy eating would be a very good start.  image

LMH - that's not so good on the pay front for Nursey job.  Have you considered agency work until you are spotted and/or you find the right employer and get the pay and job you are looking for?  Am alternating lengths with FC and BS - physio has a good swimming coach in mind, who trains babies right through to triathletes and will hang on for those details.  Couple of lessons will prod me back in right direction.  Someone I know is biking through Italian Alps for 4 days with tents - now that sounds really exciting!  image

HY4 - thanks for pics on funny little gorilla feet shoes - they are so cute.  Why didn't you go for the same?  However, currently walk round barefoot all day in flat until I have to go out, so wonder whether that's just as good.  Afraid I was in the snail lane for swimming at first and got hoofed out into the racehorse lane - didn't like that as felt pressurised, so slid back into the main pool to duck the water frisbees and the zoodle battles.  Get better soon.  image

HTF - thanks for your very kind words.  By the time you read this, you will have finished school and be free as a bee for 6 weeks!  Yay!  Superwoman does well at what she likes doing, but the redecorating keeps looking back at her.  LOL don't know about whippet, more like chunky greyhound.  Enjoy your freedom to get some serious training in and can't wait to meet you end of September.  image

Strengthening and stretching day today and off to buy some more books for business.  Have a great day everyone.  image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

First, things first, it all kicked off again in the TdF yesterday, didn't it?  Did anyone see Jens Voigt's awful crash though.  He was doing 50mph on the descent of the Col de Petit St. Bernard and I think he's lucky to be alive, effectively going down face first.  Proof of the danger of white lines.  I'll post a link later, only can't do that from worok.  The Belgian channel Sporza, did a close up and you could see that the bike was off balance as a result of a bump in the road and both wheels were on the white line and the bike slid from under him.

-----------------------

Little Miss / Si-J / DG - Mrs Bump had a breakdown a few years ago.  She suffers from depression so I know exactly where you're coming from and the depression is always there lurking in the background.

BBS - I agree with what others have said, and the death of your friend at such a young age certainly puts things into perspective.

DG - It took a friend to point out to me that running was an unhealthy obsession - I was not running because I enjoyed it.  Thankfully, I've got the balance right, I think.

HTF - Yes, you're right about the crowd getting too close.  I remember a few years back when a rider was knocked off his bike by some idiot.  I'll try and find a link later.

Flossie - You are doing so well with your training and the weight-loss.  I am doing some serious looking into an OU degree.  Last Saturday I went to Birmingham to talk to one of their staff about it at some open day they were doing.

Liverbird -

LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

The discount on the shoes is more than the entry fee HY4 and you get a tech tee too. It's on my doorstep so I have no travel costs!

I can hear Mr Bump in my ear already......image

It's all very well if you want New Balance shoes.  I'm more than happy in Mizuno......  image

Also, I totally agree with you about the best way to learn a foreign language is through total immersion.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flossie,

Thanks.  Most of my running is done on pavements and would want something a bit more substantial, especially as I've picked up a drawing pin in the shoes before.  When I start back I'm going to use the H Streets for the shorter weekday run.  I'm not sure about doing the lsr in those yet even though it's going to be off road.   I think it will depend on what the local country park is like surface wise.

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

HY4 / LB - I am not rising to the bait of £29 entry fees...........  image

HY4 - Hope you feel better soon.

Si-J - And I hope you feel better soon too.

Shades - Well at least with your job, you have some time to look into other possibilities.

Sluggie - Pleased that your eye is better.

Elspeth - Well done on standing up for your rights.

Little Miss - Yes, the Astana situation does seem tame in comparison to that at La Vie Claire, 20-odd years ago.  However, have you seen the latest re: Astana.  Johan Bruyneel is looking at leaving.  According to what I read on various sites last night, it appears that the return of Alexandre Vinoukourov is the reason.  However, rumour has it that Contador and Armstrong will still be riding for Bruyneel in a rumoured new Livestrong/Trek/Nike team.  Interesting stuff.  Also, it looks like Cadel Evans is having political problems at Silence-Lotto.

Flossie -

Flossie9 wrote (see)
    ..........However, currently walk round barefoot all day in flat until I have to go out, so wonder whether that's just as good. 

I would have thought it would help.  I understand by doing so, it helps with proprioception and also strengthens the feet and ankles.  You get more benefit, so I understand, by using different surfaces.

• Options

BBS - sorry about your sad news.

These things do make one think long and hard about not letting the job take over your life - I've been very much influenced recently by the experience of friends who've suffered life-threatening illnesses and that's reminded me that no-one departs this life wishing they'd spent more time at the office!

Bike ride for me with a pal this morning, with compulsory cake stop. Too bad there are no cake stops in triathlons (or in the TdF). Felt quite sick watching Jens Voights crash, even more scared of white lines/drain covers etc now. Closest I've come to crashing in recent weeks was when a squrrel dropped out of the hedge right in front of me!

Hope lurgied peeps are feelong better. Right, I did sit down at the computer to do some work...

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Bump,

I am surprised!  I'm looking around for a local half but need to see how I get on with coming back to running so think it will be next year now.  The plan is to get as local as possible and to look for the best value one, however a lot of them appear to be a bit more than what I'd usually pay.

• Options

Mr B - I thought that Lance would end up funding a team to be honest, it's almost a natural progression for him. Thankfully Voight seems to have escaped quite lightly, scary times though. There have been a few occasions when I've been contemplating the uselessness of 2mm of lycra when it comes to preventing damage from the road - I wouldn't ride my motorbike without leathers on yet I do in excess of 30mph on my bike with no more protection than a piece of tissue paper!

Flossie - I think that alternating lengths is the way to go. Perhaps you could progress to a 2/1 ratio whilst waiting to sort out your swimming lessons? Nursey job pays going rate for newly qualified (there's a national pay structure), can't do bank or agency shifts without having done a 'preceptorship' so if I want to work in a traditional nursing environment - which I don't really - or be able to pick up occasional shifts for extra money - which I would like to be able to do - I need to take a newly qualified job for six months to a year. The uni job will make the money up thankfully.

HY4 - are you feeling better today?

Sluggie - I've had suicidal squirrels and rabbits try to take me off the bike before now. You just never know which way they're going to run!

I love the look of those Vibram shoes - but not the price tag!

Twitchy today as having a long overdue rest day. I know I need it but I have the time and motivation to train and that makes it hard not to. Bigger picture and all that.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

BBS - so sorry to hear that your friend has finally lost her fight.

I have discovered an incentive to get sub 4.30 at Abingdon.  Thinking about entering Tanners Hatch 30 next July lead me (as these things do) to thoughts of the Dartmoor Discovery a month earlier.  So I duly wandered onto their website to find that I need to go just that little bit quicker in order to qualify!

• Options

Mr Bump - did not see TdeF yesterday because Mum came round for tea and don't like to put on my favourite programmes because I only see her once a week and we yack through whatever's on in any event.  Hope Jens Voight's 50mph crash did not do too much damage to him - funny you should mention painted lines because I ride single yellow ones to keep focused (maybe that's not such a good idea image).  Good for you getting to OU open day - what do you fancy studying?  Thanks very much for explaining advantages behind those Vibrams.  image

HY4 - think you're very brave.  Drawing pins doesn't bear thinking about!  image

Sluggie - ducks are a bit kamikaze too, although they seem to have purpose - the lake!  Saw lots of rabbits whilst out biking on Monday, but they were good ones they stayed in the hedgerows.  image

LMH - sounds like you have no choice but to do the preceptorship stage to get to where you want to be.  It will all be worth it in the end and thank goodness the uni job is also there for you.  Will try 2FC/1BS next time I go swimming and thanks very much for the advice.  image

Sparkly - nice one - very positive thinking.  image