Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

Shades - Yeah there is a reason why i cant sub 50 image Its called having no speed in the legs as i discovered on the last 10k. I'm going for the lack of 2 steep hills negating that poblem this time but we will see.

Didn't go out last night as it decided to piss down again, bad enough to block the sky signal in fact. Still i went out earlier today and zipped round 9 miles in 86 mins. Would of been happy going on for more but alas blisters were being a problem again. On the plus side one is simple to attack and the other will be fine come getting home from work later. Just need to remember to attack them before going to bed.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LB - good to hear you had a brilliant weekend, the chips and gravy sounds yummy. 

Hope your 15 miler has gone well today and the achilles are behaving themselves.

Nice shoes, 2140's would suit me too, I have a pair of 2120's which I bought cheap last year on the internet as they were 'old stock, they have a bit of baby pink on them but the price and quality convinced me that I could live with that.'.   2140's are far superior shoes to Kayano's IMHO

• Options

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well. Pink running shoes LB? Whatever nextimage.

I am shattered - have got into terrible routine again after holiday - picked up right where I left off. Bad diet, no exercise, bad moods, irritability, zero motivation, going to bed way too late. I am pretty convinced that the late bedtimes is the root cause of the others. I just find it hard to go to bed - mainly because psychologically I know that work will come along quicker if I go to sleep. I have developed an unhealthy addiction to the Law & Order series on Hallmark, especially Special Victims Unit (SVU)image. I need to get myself sorted out.

I love Cadbury world LB, though may love it more because I have decided this morning to lay off chocolate until end of September.image

Matthew's birthday party yesterday - a football party, shared with his best friend. Went well other than one mother's incessant gabbing about her son being accepted for Sunderland's football Academy. We are all pleased and well impressed, don't get me wrong, but have heard PLENTY about it now. Maybe I am being mean-spirited.

• Options

And I thought I'd done so well........image

Just input my details into Fetch for the 15 miler and I thought I was about 11.30mm, but it's actually 11.05mm which is a tad faster than I would've liked. image Don't shout mummy - I tried really hard! image

I kicked it a little bit over the last mile or so but other than that, the run was very uneventful. I've not run that far since April and it went fine. Achilles a little hot, but I'll ice them and give them a day off tomorrow...

BBS - glad the party went well. Other parents, eh? Don't let em in - that's my philosophy! Miss LB the younger is nine next week and I have all this to come on Bank Holiday monday! She's only having a few friends over, but you'd think I was planning a post Oscars bash the way she's carrying on!image

• Options
    When is Miss LB's birthday then? 31 August? If so that's worse than Matthew's 29th!
  • Options

No - she's September 3rd! She was due on August 20th, which HORRIFIED me. I am usually such a good planner too......image

I was induced on August 30th and they said she would be born "today or tomorrow"image I remember glaring at the obstetrician, because I REALLY didn't want an August baby! They got busy and chucked me out!!!! Miss LB showed up in her own sweet time at teatime on 3rd Sept, 5 DAYS after induction and 14 days late! image

• Options

LB - Glad the run went wellimage And pleased to have you back, it's been too quiet on here. Did Mr LB get any chocs for us?image

Next bit not for Shades(squeamishimage). Toe definitely infected - but no perks to the job by the way. When started to get pussy I took a swab at work which the lab refused to process!! Is a bit better but going to try not to run until JS on Thurs then see how it gets on with the HM on Sat before definite decisions about Moray. Glad have got the longest LSR done though.

Keith - Hope you can get sub 50 this weekimage Go for it. I would have liked to do that too this summer but next 10k is week after Moray so doubt it though it is a flattish course and best for this year is 50.30.

LMH - What are you decorating?

• Options

Elspeth - I got fluclox for my toe and it held the infection at bay until I could pull the nail off nicely! image

Mr LB got a 48 bar box of Dairy Milk and I got 10 Fry's chocolate creams! He also got a Dairy Milk dressing gown (I kid you not)!image

• Options
    LB - Haven't had a Fry's chocolate cream for a while! My Grandad used to give us them - wouldn't seem right to buy it for yourself!
  • Options
    mmm fry's chocolate creamsimage
  • Options

http://www.mcphees.co.nz/images/Frys_creams.jpg

Take your pick, Mrs Fay! image
  • Options
    BBS  - hands off! You're off the choccy, remember?image
  • Options
    I know- do you remember the ones which had 5 flavours in one bar in the 70s? The orange one is rank mind you.
  • Options
    Thanks LB - got to be the original one!image
  • Options

Fry's Five Centres it was called, BBS and yes I do recall it.....image

• Options

Mmmm Fry's Chocolate Cream has lured me back in - but has to be original!!  Used to be my favourite chocolate, but not had one for ages!

image Not really done any running for ages - combination of holiday, Mr DG having an operation and general CBA.  Did go to the gym this morning, but think I ranked up the speed on the treaddie a bit quick and came over all dizzy (I'm also recovering from a cold!).  Really need to get back into proper training.  I've got about 6 weeks til the English Half  (please don't burst my bubble LB by telling me its sooner).  What training do you suggest?  I'm accepting I'll just be 'getting round' but really do still want to do the race. 

Sorry don't know anyones news!  How did LMH do in her tri?  Hope everyone else has been running/racing well.

• Options

DG - LMH did brilliantly in her tri, despite hot weather and lack of water, marshalls etc. You should get together with LB for some long runs, even if you don't go as far as her, sure you are up to the half, where is it?

Was just thinking the choc cream might be good in a marathon - if it wasn't too hotimage As well as Jaffa cakes of course.

• Options

Hi everybody.   Haven't had a chance to read back too far yet.  Mmmmmm, did somebody say chocolate?  Have been very naughty and not trained for a few days and the airshow was on for 4 days and it was flippin' excellent.  I love planes.  Mind you, wouldn't want to be first officer in a Eurofighter Typhoon - that's scarier than some of the rides at the theme parks.  image

Just got back from powerwalking 5 miles and really happy with the time and a real contender to rival some of the pathetic jogs endured when injured during the winter months.  image

Shades - can feel you gearing up again for another drive of marathons.  Will see you soon at NF!  image

LMH - have been a good little possum cleaning kitchen thoroughly in spare time and now want to get out the paint brush.  Will shortly be putting on some good dance music or Toni Braxton and sing at the top of my voice!  *hands out ear plugs*  image

Elspeth - your poor tootsie.  You could just about have it sorted by weekend - fingers crossed.  image

Mrs Mac - wishing Mr Mac well soon.  Where's your new baby?  image

HY4 - you sound like you're turning the corner away from those hellish pains.  So glad you got the yoga DVD.  As mentioned further on, give me the yoga moves any day, but not the spiritual stuff.  image

LB - loved your account of your weekend.  Sounded like you really had a good time and you made the chips and school gravy seem absolutely delish.  Can't believe that Mr LB bought a Cadbury dressing gown....brilliant!!  image  Agree with you about yoga dropdog position for achilles.  Only went to a proper yoga class once and don't like the spiritual stuff.  We were invited to relax very deeply and for some reason a gong was then banged continuously and it made me very tense and unsurprisingly, I left with an humdinger of a headache.  image  Absolutely barking.
  • Options

LOL at that gong Flossie! image

DG - Mr LB has just had the same thought about the English and has decided he can't disgrace himself! He has taken the last 6 weeks of a Hal Higdon plan (probably intermediate) and is using that as a template. If you want to play out with me, feel free, but my long runs are going to be WAY longer than half length now, so I could run to yours and we could trot on out?image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

BBS - glad BBS Jnr's party went well.    All of your symptoms could be down purely to lack of sleep so get to bed earlier at a regular time..

LB - LOL at Mr LB with his dressing gown from Cadbury's.....sexy  mmmm, perhaps not!

Well done on the 15 miler, I shan't tell you off as it's better pacing than previous long runs.

Elspeth - are you taking antibiotics to heal that toe up quickly?  LOL at the lab refusing to do your swab.

Hi DG - I was just wondering how you were.   Not another cold, I would stay out of the gym for a while, very easy to catch viruses in a warm sweaty environment.

Flossie - NF is 4 weeks this Friday, really looking forward to meeting you.   Yes, you're right I am gearing up for the next batch of marathons and for once I'm happy with the way my training is going

• Options
    SHADES wrote (see)

LB - LOL at Mr LB with his dressing gown from Cadbury's.....sexy  mmmm, perhaps not!

Well done on the 15 miler, I shan't tell you off as it's better pacing than previous long runs.

I read that as "you're not quite as crap as you used to be at pacing"image And it's undoubtedly got more than a grain of truth in it! I didn't stop to walk once, which I was quite proud of. Pace felt "easy" and I had loads left in the tank at the end and I haven't had a sleep this afternoon, so it's not taken too much out of me! image

As for sexy dressing gowns - it's dairy milk purple! I think the black Calvin Klein one on the back of the door in the en suite is a bit nicer, but I bet he'll slob about in his choccy one now! image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Off out with my forever beginner friend, I told her off last week for being so lazy, not sure if it had any effect thoughimage
  • Options
    Do you log these walking miles on Fetch too Shades? You should, you know! image
  • Options
    A purple choccy dressing gown doesn't sound bad to me!
  • Options

Have read back in between decorating and dinner cooking so forgive me if I miss anyone out.

Elspeth - couldn't you get one of the docs to order the lab test or have a look at your toe? Hope you can get it sorted soonest.

LB - sounds as though you had a great weekend. I like the peppermint Frys but am currently on a weekday diet so none for me until Saturday. Good long run there.

Flossie - I'm decorating my middle room - sort of office/dog bedroom/corridor.

Nice to see you back DG.

BBS - hope you can get into a good routine soon.

Shades - hope your chiding had a good effect.

Now - I've spent over four hours today trying to remove a wallpaper border without disturbing the wallpaper underneath it too much however in some places there's a bit of sticky residue left - anyone know what I can wash this down with to remove it without soaking the paper underneath?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Ooh just remembered what next Tuesday is. First day of September and thus the start of Septemberthon on Fetch i hope. I'm sure i cna manage to cover at least 1 mile per day, i'm meant to be running every day bar mondays and fridays usually anyway. A jog home from work on those days will make it a nice long streak.

As for 10k's next week people on fetch aren't paying attention to who they bet on or the dates, either that or i'm expected to PB twice in 2 days. Somehow i dont think thats too likely image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

I don't go in for the spiritual stuff either.  When I order the dvd I'm getting on okay with I'll post a link up on here. If you're more interested in the sports stretching you may find that you get caught up in power yoga which didn't seem as stretchy to me.  Glad you had a good weekend.  (Makes mental note to put some Frys Chocolate Cream into the shopping trolley next shop)

BBS,

I was thinking of that bar also.  Wonder if you can get it on any retro sweetie sites?

Flossie,

Yes I am.  I feel as though I've got several layers of cotton wool round me at the mo.

• Options
    bo-bo wrote (see)
    BBS - sorry to hear Matthew is unsettled; boys are sensitive little souls and I've found that even a throw-a-way remark can cause a confidence crisis. Rising 8 was a difficult time for H too - school (and probably us!) were repeatedly telling him he was growing up; several friends had already lost Father Christmas; over night crying became a social faux pas; the blame factor set in on the games field. I have a very strong image of a little boy telling me he didn't want to grow up and wanted kisses and cuddles for ever - sigh. Just let Matthew know you understand and try to encourage him to talk.

Hey bo-bo just got round to reading back - thanks for this. It really rings true for us at the moment.

Anyone listening to the match ? Get in Villa!image

• Options

Shades - will definitely be run/walk or powerwalking NF, so might be a long time coming in as long as the sweeper vehicle doesn't scoop me up - that won't happen will it?  image

LB - the thought of doing 15 miles makes my legs want to fall off and in just under 5 weeks time have to and will do a half and it seems like forever since FLM.  Well done for getting through this niggle phase and believe me, I know how hard bimbling around injuries is.  Got to say that Fry's Chocolate Cream was and still is my Mum's favourite.  Personally, the fondant stuff in the middle of the lush dark chocolate makes me want to gag - would have to wash the chocolate to get it all out and the same goes for Cadbury's Creme Eggs.  image  Now, Cadbury's normal chocolate - you're on.  How many bars can you eat at one sitting?  image

LMH - am sure that Grace will be absolutely delighted with the new decor.  Kitchen decorating is really upsetting Moggie.  If you're not changing the wallpaper, I'd slap another border on it.  However, if I think you're going to paint over the wallpaper, the sticky stuff will (as you probably already know) eventually leach through.  If it had been sticky/glue marks on paintwork or a non-porous surface, would have recommended Sticky Stuff Remover, but I know for a fact it's oil-based!  Wonder if shaving it off gently with a razor would do it?  Just a thought...image

Keith - two 10K's in two days?  Hats off to you and one of them you'll PB and maybe just maybe you might do 2 PB's.  Do your best that's all you can do.  image

HY4 - keep the cotton wool until race day because I've got loads on too.  image

DG - hope you get out with LB.  Sorry to hear about hubbie's op - a rather stressful time for you, but hope the holiday was good.  It'll all come together again for you, stuff isn't bad for ever.  image

• Options
    Tis 2 in 3 days i get Monday off image I have 6 days to sort this fecking blister out. Will be popped later on when i go to bed and with a bit of luck it'll behave the rest of the week.