Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

Well I am a veteran of a few marathons and I have got my own 'peculiarities'. I always run with my own supply of water and energy drink for 2 reasons:

• many races gie you water in cups which I am absolutely unable to drink while running.
    • energy drink given on races is often scare (specially in paris) and not nice, so I carry the one I like!

Now not everybody recommends to do that, you see very few runners carrying waterbladers during races but for me it works.

For the foodd, I take energy gels, they really make a difference and then other sugary things.

• Options

You need to try different methods of carrying food/gels to see what suits.  Depends on what you wear, what you end up eating/drinking etc.  It's trial and error mainly and you've got plenty of time to work it out.

I personally have a little neoprene pouch on a belt that I shove gels/jelly babies, phone, money, ibuprofen in (I know, I know).Then I carry water/energy drink. Still have to workout tactics for Paris.  Have only ever done FLM where water, lucozade etc is abundant.

You might get lots of good info on the FLM threads - there are always lots of beginners on the 4.30/5hr threads.  Why not go and have a look back at what we were all blathering on about last year in the run up to FLM? You'll find out all sorts - about things that haven't even crossed your mind yet!!

• Options
    Oh, and I should add that there's plenty of experience on those threads to answer the newbie questions.
  • Options

Eurostar 

I can see singles at £29.50 on Friday 4th April.

But that is as far as booking allows.

I am going out on Sat and return Monday so may be able to book soon

• Options

Got my rejection mag this morning for the FLM, not too bothered as I am doing Paris (with my dad who is an ultra-marathon runner and will be 72! and am really excited about it although he will be slower than me so won't be running together actually....image! or maybe we will!?)

Decided to book a sport therapist to look at my achilles prob, but then my insurance tells me to get a GP referral first to cover costs! Aghhh my gp only take emergencies on the day, then all next week will probably be already filled up! All that for a 2mins apptmt, and my GP is useless anyway! And I really dislike this NHS system (sorry am used to the French one and aghhh it frustrates me).

As I am going skying in Feb in France, I will see a GP there for my certificate, simpler!

I have never done speed sessions but was advised to do some, should I want to improve my time. I still have not started training really, but not too concerned!

I wore a camel pack for my SouthDown 20 miles and it certainly helped keeping me well hydrated throughout with my own 'survival potion'. Had also put some cranberries and Haribo sweets in the back pocket of my shorts (of course the sugary sweets had sort of melted, but still much appreciated at times). The only downside was it kept on rubbing the back of my neck, and the continuous frictions caused a nasty scratch. I could not manage to tighten the camel pack, need to sort that out for next time!

I have 2 small children and this will be my first marathon, am aiming at sub 4 (3h45 would be grand.....but regardless, just finishing will be a joy)image

• Options

In Paris marathon the drinks stations are plentiful and also I seem to remember from the last time I did it that at a number of the stations they have food ( bannanas, orange segment etc) I think I even remember some gels.

Personnally I normally don't carry my own drink and always plan not to eat during race.  BUT normally towards the end of the race miles 21 - 26 its a case of anything seems to look and tastes good. 

Really looking forward to Paris again as I have had a crap running year in 2007 and its a good target.

• Options

MM - I've never seen any single fares on Eurostar for less than £44.  There's very little there now for the 4th April.  Lots of space if £154 is your price range though.

SM - The return fares all seem to be cheaper than two singles (the way it should be in my opinion) 

• Options

Dalesgirl - I wouldn't worry too much about sugary treats for paris. This year I consumed most of my own body weight in a variety of goodies such as oranges, bananas, dried fruit, cake, baguette, sugar cubes, some powerade which I tried to hold the cup in my mouth and it all went in my eyes so I couldn't see properly for a good half hour and then at one point I distinctly remember seeing some wine on offer although I was full up by then and so jogged past that station.

There was also plenty of water stations but it began to run out and there was some jostling going on further down the field (I know, I was way down the field).

Maybe take a couple of your favourite treat for the last few miles when you think it's never going to end, the red jelly babies perked me up at mile 20 although it was a pain in the glutes carrying them in my hand in a sandwich bag for all those miles!

• Options
    How wonderful to run with (or in the same race as) your father, Angelique!  Hope I'm still running when I'm 72.
  • Options

My medical certificate still isn't recorded on the site, despite that i sent it about 6 weeks ago.  I emailed them and got the following reply, which may be of interest to others also waiting..:

Hello,We have many certificates received which are waiting to be entered. Don't worry, we will try do it soon.

Le Service Concurrents
    A.S.O. - Athlétisme
    www.parismarathon.com

• Options
    Reminds me - must go and collect my medical thingy from the docs.
  • Options
    Dark thanks for that,i have been checking the site daily although i only sent mine 2 weeks ago.

Dalesgirl
    I am 38 with 2 kids,I am also following the runners world 4.30 plan. Due to start it next mon,I ran paris last time,took me 5hrs and 40 mins though so how I'm going to get it to 4.30 i don't know! Wishful thinking I think. My problem is I don't do speedwork or anything like that I just tend to plod my miles out. I run on my own so not much motivation but saying that the motivation this time round might be the extra stone I have put on! I took loads of gels last time but i really don't like them and threw up at about mile 20 after having one,they are horrible.I think I will survive on the refreshment stalls.
    Team Strawberry I don't know about jogging past the wine station I think I was crawling at that point.
  • Options
    I heard there was cider, too image.
  • Options

English cider or the French one that goes so well with pancakes (crepes)???

Artful Hen, yes I think my father is awsome.He still runs 100kms (the only distance he's covered for the past 30 years or so. Oh there was also this mad 24hours race which was held in a stadium in Niort, and they would run/ walk for 24hours! Hugely insane!!!!!)

But alas his body cannot really sustain his enthusiasm, and he will have to put an end to his passion pretty soon. ((over-)used joints, arthrose etc...). I think he realised I would never be able to cover 100kms, and thus decided to join me in my first effort in a 'smaller' distance!

• Options

About gels..   they are not all the same.. if you don't like one brand, try another..

I use Power Bar gels..  they come in a variety of flavours, but they all taste the same regardless!   They are really effective and worth giving a go...   you must remember to drink lots with them though..  they need hydration to be absorbed properly.

• Options
    i cant believe they ramped up the eurostar prices for around the marathon! GITS!
  • Options
    ...unless you try SIS gels which are isotonic so you don't need to drink lots with them. 
  • Options
    as mentioned, it is trial and error. I use the SiS gels, as they aren't too sweet, and don't need water. Personally, can't stand the Powerbar ones image
  • Options

Very irritated with Eurostar!! Thought singles were £29.50, so booked a cheap flight out there (slightly more convenient) with plan to get eurostar back with parents who live in London and stay with them sun night... blah blah blah, anyway it seems it IS actuallt £44 for a single, and only £29.50 each way if you are buying a return!! Might have got it both ways had I known this.  Nevermind. So no, it's not cheaper to buy two singles, apparently. Hmm.

I'm actually just hanging around online at the moment waiting for midnight so the tickets for 6th april will (hopefully) be announced and I can get one straight away.  

Dalesgirl - no I wasn't manning the water station, don't worry!  Was just standing by the road before the bend that leads to the abbey. Sorry to hear it was so poor.

Agree with Riel that taking own drinks is a good idea, though it's taken me a while to realise this! Made HUGE mistake at New Forest half of trying to carry on running same speed whilst drinking from cup, first couple of times I got about one sip and the rest went all up my nose / over my face, and the last time at 11 miles, ended up choking *really* bad, throat went all tight and breathing went all crazy - well, you all know what it's like to choke! So had to walk then until I could breathe again properly.  So I learnt the hard way. You have to walk to get a decent drink from a cup basically!  Please somebody say it's bottles of water at Paris!!!!

Will let you all know if I manage to book train for evening of 6th at midnight or not. 

• Options

I like SIS gels too, they aren't too sickly and seem to go down really well.  Especially tropical flavour if you don't like strong flavours.

Victoria - don't think they have put the prices up, it is just you can only get the £29.50 ones if you go both ways I think.  I just entered 3rd - 5th April to check and it worked. Just annoying I only want a one way. Grrrr. Or maybe they have just put up the price of singles? I don't know.. 

• Options
    Nope, 6th April tickets weren't released at midnight. image Stayed up late for nothing! Will check again in morning. Night all.
  • Options
    Tutu - it's bottles of water in Paris.  But they are quite hazardous on the ground and the French just drop them by your feet in a Gallic shrugging kinda wayimage.  Not you Riel, I know you take your drinks on your back.
  • Options
    It was the orange sis gels I used.Disgusting! I think it was the lumpy texture i didn't like. Im waiting for the eurostar times as well.
  • Options
    SiS gels lumpy? Think you had a dodgy one Caroline image Also find the tropical to be the most palatable image
  • Options

Morning all,

On the subject of medical certificates - we posted ours from the UK on the 29th October and the website runners list was only updated late yesterday to show they'd been received (nearly 7 weeks).

Off on hols tomorrow so won't be logging on again until the 18th.

Take care and happy running next week.

Tommy.

• Options
    Nev, do you fancy Gloucester Marathon on 27th January.  It's 1/200th the size of Paris.
  • Options
    With medical certs - don't worry.. last time even at registartion as long as you took a copy then you still got your number.  Its not a big problem.
  • Options

Neil,

I see you signed up for it. Looks like a good training run image

Reckon I'll sign up too. Was looking for a local'ish race for Jan/Feb

• Options
    Wey Hey, 4 laps, we might get a bit dizzy.