Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Eurostar is looking a bit pricey now to go out on the Friday at a sensible time image  Especially when I factor in travelling to London. Looks like I'll be flying from Newcastle.
  • Options

ive just had a look and it's £84 return, for going on 4th back on 6th. rudeness!

• Options
    I got a flight from Brum on the Friday and returning on the Monday pm for £75
  • Options
    Glad I didn't wait for Eurostar now.   My grumbling groin may be better now... will test it out on a run tomorrow - first for a week.  But must have slept funny - have a sore back now.  Must have slept funny.  Will see if I can swim it better later.
  • Options
    Which flight are you going on Friday Nev? We're on the 10:50 flybe.
  • Options
    Neil, I am on the 17:50pm. Need to work Friday, or I don't get paid image
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

We've yet to book, but believe we're flying out on the Wednesday and coming back on Sunday evening.

Last week I came down with the dreaded lurgy, but apart from taking Friday off as I felt really under the weather with sore throat and cough I managed to keep running all at a nice easy pace to keep my mileage up.

Mon - 6 miles recovery from the 10 miles race the day before
    Tues -  am 10 miles / pm 3.5 miles
    Wed - am 5 miles / pm 6 miles
    Thurs - 8.5 miles
    Fri - rest
    Sat - am 10 miles / pm 3 miles
    Sun - 18 miles - didn't feel great on this run as my throat felt a bit too sore, but kept pace easy

Total 70 miles

• Options
    Nev - the Expo is not too bad on Saturday morning as long as you are fairly early. I am going to get it over with on Friday so I can relax all day on Saturday.

BR & Hilly - Awesome mileage, especially as you're just "warming up". I did about 55 miles last week, hopefully I can increase it to 70 without getting injured. I find that tiredness is my worst enemy, it prevents me doing as many "quality" sessions as I would like.

BR/Hilly - quick question. I'm 42, have been running for 2 years and had some steady progress. How long do you think I can keep improving, as age catches up with me?
  • Options

Thanks Neil. Planned on going early on the Saturday anyway. Will definitely be a more relaxed trip than NY image

I also had a down week last week...only did 90 miles

haha, only joking

• Options
    Nev - we could do 90 miles this week and finish the Cotswold Way image
  • Options
    God the 10.28am train going out on fri the 4th has now jumped from £59 yesterday - £129 today. Glad I booked yesterday i was thinking about waiting to see if the prices went down,glad i didn't.
  • Options
    Haha, we could Neil. Unfortunately, have my Xmas party up at Celtic Manor Sat/Sun this weekend, then fly home to SA the following Friday, for some sunshine image
  • Options
    I'm not jealous Nev, well not much image.
  • Options

In the end I've decided to go by Eurostar.  I'm sick of airports and wanted to take the train anyway and they were roughly the same price so it's now booked.  Heading out at about 15.30 on the Friday and coming back at about 13.00 on the Tuesday.  Just need to sort out getting to London and back now.

First week of training has been and gone.  25 or so miles done including an undulating 10 miles yesterday morning in Sheffield back on a route I used to run back in the day when I lived down there.  I discovered any hill strength I may have once had has now gone.  All in all though I felt pretty good and it was nice to be running out of a city again.

Is anyone planning on doing any cross training as part of their preparation?  The Hal Higdon plan has each Monday down as a cross training day.  I'm planning on doing either spinning or swimming on these days but curious as to what anyone else might be doing. 

• Options
    Just booked the eurostar. 2x adults = £118 return. Can't be bad, Just have to get up a bit early saturday morning. Mind you, I'm only about 15 mins away from Ashford, guess that makes Paris quite local to me.

Can't shift this cold though, another semi sleepless night with razorblades in my throat!! Hilly, how on earth do you manage to keep running through a cold? I'm terrified my heart rate would go through the roof.
  • Options
    J3ff, you will have to understand that Hilly and BR are androids
  • Options

Eurostar booked. £74 Saturday am - Tuesday afternoon.

Barry - yes, spinning was a regular Monday evening activity for me during FLM training this year. Combined with some stretching and a nice sauna afterwards it made a welcome change from all the running and I'm sure it helped with recovery after the Sunday run.  This year I'm dropping x-training for an extra day's running, although still doing some weights/core strength stuff on my easy running days.

• Options

Is any one here going to follow the Hal Higdon Novice plans. I am not sure if I should follow novice 1 or 2. Novice 2 has pace workouts and a bit longer at weekend.

Would be nice to support each other if both doing the same plan.

Will try again with local club tonight and I am prepared for the hills tonight, having taken a hilly route for my last 2 runs and was fine. Just hope it is not raining again.

• Options
    Just having a look at Hal Higdon's webpages, and, well last year's Paris was excruciating with the heat and only just managed to finish in 4.25. But this year I seriously think I can break 4 hrs and even 3.45, so which plan of Higdon's should I follow to achieve this?
  • Options

Hope it goes well tonight Meysey Man.

I'm following a RW plan just because I did one before and got used to the structure of it (need to modify bits though, such as giving a better taper!), but I know plenty of people follow HH's plans so hopefully someone will be doing the same as you.

• Options

MM - I've just had a look at the two plans.  I'd be inclined to tentatively start out on the Novice 2 plan and see how you get on. e.g. how do your legs feel on Thursday morning after two consecutive day's running including a hard 5 miles?  And on Friday's rest day, after 3 consecutive days, how do you feel about running 8 miles the next day rather than 6?  You can always tweak the plan and do, say, easy pace runs on the odd Wednesday if it feels right.  I reckon the marathon will be a more comfortable experience with the extra miles and 4x 17m+ LRs as opposed to just 2 in your legs.  Also the pace runs will give your training more variety.

J3ff - What sort mileage were you doing for Paris last year, and how many days' running/wk?  I followed HH's Intermediate II for FLM this year - 5 days' running, 1 day x-training, max 50mpw, 3x 20m runs.  I did tweak the plan a bit, mainly by adding tempo runs mid-week but followed it almost religiously otherwise.

• Options
    PP Last year my training was rubbish, twice perhaps three times a week totalling 20 miles/wk?, 2 x 10 mile runs, 1 x 15 mile run and this was all broken up by shinsplints. So you can see my reasoning when I think I can do a lot better image
  • Options
    PP What was your time last year?
  • Options

J3ff - blimey, with a bit of consistency you'll be knocking chunks off your time!  My time at London was 3:04:56 which I think has a nice pattern to it, but it was 4:56 short of my target - London wasn't quite as hot as Paris but it still slowed me down.

I think the toughest thing about the HH intermediate schedules is the back-to-back Saturday and Sunday runs - esp when there is a marathon pace run the day before LR - but if you can cope with that and 3 other days during the week it's a good one to go for. Maybe decide between I & II depending on where your mileage is at the moment, i.e. can you start straight off with a 10 mile LR or ease in more gently?  Either way I definitely think you should try to get in the 3x 20m runs as a minimum.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

B Rubble - I'm 43 and still improving.  Been running for 11 years but only really seriously for about 4.  I think you'll have plenty of years to continue improving.  Look at Martin Rees he didn't start running until his late 40s and has become the best in his age group in the country.

As for increasing miles and tiredness.  My only advice is to eat and drink well and eventually the body adapts.  Without sounding big headed or anything 70 miles for myself and BR does not take it out of us.  I get tired when I'm hitting 80+ miles, but just take as much rest in between runs as possible. 

J3ff - by keeping the runs easy.  I find that it helps to clear my airways, which otherwise feel so blocked.  I did however take Friday off as i think I was running a temperature and felt really grotty. 

• Options
    Just having a look at Hal Higdon's webpages, and, well last year's Paris was excruciating with the heat and only just managed to finish in 4.25. But this year I seriously think I can break 4 hrs and even 3.45, so which plan of Higdon's should I follow to achieve this?
  • Options
    PP - I'm following HH intermediate II plan for Paris.  Did you just stick to the long runs or did you do any other races in the build up?  I think that is possibly one area I fell down on in the lead up to my last marathon as I did races where long runs would probably have been more beneficial.
  • Options

Barry - Yes, I did a few warm-up races but I didn't sacrifice any LR mileage.  Between new year and the marathon I did 2x 10 miles, a HM and a 20m race.  The two 10 milers were quite early in the schedule; from memory the LRs were only up to about 13 miles, so with warm-up before the races this was pretty much covered anyway.  Then the HM was on a scheduled step-back week on mileage (the schedule had 12m for the reduced LR) and I did the 20m race as my last LR (10m easy + 10 @ target MP)

• Options
    Hilly - Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to the time when a 70 mile week is not so tiring. It's also interesting to learn about how you and BR approach training.
  • Options
    Can someone help,I'm following a plan for the first time.
    What does this mean? 1m jog then 3x1m (or 9 mins) fast. Does the 3x1m mean 3 lots of 1 miles? because if it does it would take me 30 mins to do 3 miles not 9 mins. Sorry if i'm being thick.