Options

Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Caroline - I think they mean 3 lots of 1 mile fast or 3 lots of 9 mins fast if you don't have a mile long stretch that you know is a mile.
  • Options
    Caroline, it means three times either 1 mile or three times nine minutes.
  • Options

Caroline,

1m jog is probably the warm-up, and can be longer if needed.

Then 3 x 1m "fast" runs, or 9 mins of fast running, whichever comes 1st, and probably a bit of light jogging in between the 1m/9 min runs.

Make sense?

• Options
    there you go, 3 answers image
  • Options
    And three people telling you what it means image
  • Options

So hope you got it...got it...got it (echo)

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

First icy run. The ground's been covered in frost all day..beautiful but slippy.

Here's my Champs Elysees. I can't run for toffee but I've got a good imagination...image

• Options
    you definitely do...have good imagination that is image
  • Options

omg major puddle muddage issues there!

but what lovely countryside... *takes a deep sigh of dirty london air* 

• Options

Hi all

Been off-board for a few days. Training going well, yesterday was a 12-miler, went really well and I feel like the training is starting to reap rewards. My route was partly through a couple of parks, and a couple of miles of a 'parkland walk', that was a railway line that closed many years back, became overgrown, and is now a protected nature walk with all sorts of greenery, birds... It goes from Finsbury Park to Highgate, but you wouldn't know you're in London, it's really peaceful. Except it was veeeery muddy, and was chucking down, so became quite an adventure! I used to really hate the rain, but I really like running in it now. Apart from other people - got drenched (as if I wasn't wet enough already) by several passing cars going through puddles, and poked by a few umbrellas. But I find I stay nice and cool in the rain, so I seem to go at a decent speed without feeling it. I suppose running in this weather is when you know you're properly committed (or maybe should be committed... image)

Rest day today. image

• Options
    Thanks guys I think i've got it.
  • Options

Evening everybody.I just thought i'd nip in and see how everybodys going.I started my training today.My program is 805 miles including the marathon,far more than i've dne previously.I've started well with a good 12.6miles today.I ran most of it in the dark which in a strange way helps i think.I could get used to it.  11K w/ 10 strides 10K w/ 6 strides.Can anybody tell me what this means?It's in my program and makes no scence,or how this writing is so small

• Options
    I take back the small writing comment.It only was small in the comment box.
  • Options

Re cross training, I'm doing the FIRST prog and there are more x training days than running days!  For the last few weeks my weekly x training sessions have been a half hour swim (about a mile), an hour's hilly bike ride and a weights session.  If I had to choose one of those I think I'd go for the bike.  I can feel glutes, hamstrings, upper body (on the hills if I stand up) and all sorts of things working. Didn't do any cross training for FLM and think it's probably worth sacrificing a day's running for a bit of something else, as long as it's got a CV element to it.  That's probably because I'm falling to bits and am worried my running days may be limited if I push it too hard too fast.

ATM  your Champs Elysees looks a bit like mine!  Looking forward to my first run in a week tomorrow - weather forecast is cold, crisp and sunny.  Wey hey. image

Oh - and I've got my medical certificate.  The doc's also said they'll do me a resting ECG if I want. "Whilst this is not diagnostic of problems, it highlights any pre-existing pathways which may predispose you to problmes on strenuous exercise."  I think I'd know by now, but it wouldn't do any harm would it?  I think it's really positive that she's offered, don't you?  Just to make sure I'm not one of those unfortunate people who doesn't know they've got a heart condition until it's too late.

• Options

Yes, you might as well, even if it's needed for the race - good to know you've got the all clear.

Howeyz, it sounds like you need to do 11k in 10 strides, think you'll need springs in your legs... image

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Howeyz - it means you do 11k and at the end do 10 x 100metre strides.  Not sprints, but not slow either, about as fast as is just beginning to feel uncomfortable.  It's a way of introducing your legs to faster work and improving VO2 max
  • Options
    Glad you said that Hilly, I thought it meant sprints, duh. Ah well it was a good workout this morning at -2 degrees, had to avoid the frozen patches otherwise I'd have been over on my @rse.

ATM - your Champs Elysees looks wide enough, there's even a dry bit in the middle image
  • Options
    BRubble - what sort of terrain do you run on for your pre-dawn sessions?  Are you in a town with street lights or are you very intrepid with a head torch and iron ankles out in the sticks?
  • Options
    I run through the boring town of Dursley AT. It's the one that the Harry Potter characters were named after - 'nuff said. I have been more intrepid on the surrounding country roads with a head torch but I'm worried about disappearing down a pothole - of which there are many.
  • Options

Well, I salute you Mr Rubble! I work from home so I can usually sneak out during daylight hours, thank goodness. Anyone who trains in the dark in winter is a bit of a hero.

• Options
    I am missing being able to get out at lunch-time. This pre-dawn running is tricky. Need to get myself a head torch I think
  • Options
    Out of necessity rather than choice AT.
  • Options

At the moment it's quite a novelty getting out in daylight.  I've found it's not as bad as I expected running when it's dark but then I am running in a city with street lights.

• Options
    It's not too bad, as long as you avoid the ice patches!
  • Options

Running in the daylight is a weekend treat for me.

I dress up for my night time outings now. I have got a nice yellow jacket so I look like a motorway repair man, except I actually move around a bit ! I have also got armbands with those tiny red lights on them. I also carry my cycle torch which is surprisingly bright.

I have finally set my training plan and will go with Hal's novice 2 plan which totals 486 miles.

I used the macmillen calculator to work out what pace I should be doing my various runs at basing it on my recent 10 mile run, which was interesting if i used the 10k data the 10 mile speed was only 10 seconds out from my real 10 mile run. This also tells me my goal times of 2 hours 10 for a half mara and 4 Hours 36 mins for the full mara. My real goal is sub 5 so pleased to see my progress.

I was with the running club again, and it was a new route with another long incline rather than hill and I was determined to not stop and as such passed other runners who had stopped, problem was doing so i got to the top and there were no runners in front so waiting for the next runner who told me to take the road to the right as that was the short route and ahead was the long route, so right i went and I could see runners about 100 yards ahead, problem was this was a yards ahead and they were faster runners than me but I had to try and keep up or I would get lost. It took nearly 2 miles to catch up, so the final 1 mile was with this group who sped up even faster and were now going at around 9 mins per mile. This was really tough going but I stayed with them. God was I knackered. The average for the whole run was 9.31 mins per mile and my norm is 9.50.

When we got in a lead runner started to say they were worried about me as I went the wrong way and did not think I could manage the lenght or speed. Not impressed at all. I also asked about the wednesday sessions and was told this was for speed and hill sessions and told these are for people doing spring runs like london marathon, so I told them I was down to do Paris and they told me to cancel as I would not be ready or able to complete it. WELL THEY CAN F OFF. Time to try another club

• Options

MM - jeez!  What a lovely bunch.  image At least you gave them another go but sounds like you're well rid of them.

I find the Macmillan calculators for race prediction and pacing really useful. At least that's one useful training partner you've got!

• Options
    Wow, they really do sound like a nice lot...NOT Mersey Man. How the hell can they say cancel Paris, when there is still 16+ weeks to go...What a bunch of muppets. I would give them a miss, and train at your own pace
  • Options

I agree with Phil, best off without them. I'm not in a club myself, but I'd imagine the benefits to be running with others, good routes, training advice and motivation... And they sound like they leave people behind, put you off, and expect everyone to run as quickly as their fittest athletes.

You know full well you can do it though, so sod 'em!

Only discovered the macmillan calculators a few weeks back, thanks to this forum, some people seem to find it more reliable than others, but the current estimates on that are quite promising...

Well, this morning I joined the ranks of the early morning runners. 6.50 I was out the door for a 5 mile fartlek... image Going iceskating tonight though, and didn't want to run in to work, and so be without a coat for the evening...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

MM, your times and distance are better than mine were this time last year..and I'm a lot older and was an utter slug for my first 49 years... and I finished. If you follow your plan, you will definitely make it. There's no question of backing out! You're going to love it. Promise. Sounds like this club's not for you but that doesn't mean they're all the same. I hope you find some local support..if it's not ' supportive', it's no use to you. Otherwise, you'll just have to put up with us.... 'virtual partners'.

I like running early morning... *but much prefer the summer light to the winter darkness. * It IS a bit crazy to be running around in the middle of nowhere-really ,in the dark , with a headtorch...err...but kinda wonderful, too. I can hear the cattle I pass thinking' Silly cow!' Ice is the major worry. Bring on global warming!

I'd like to have a go at the HH Advance plan . Don't snigger! I've got quite a lot of free time right now and want to up my mileage. I'll drop back to Inter 2 is it gets too much or injury threatens. Any other obsessive slowcoach out there who's thinking of doing something like this?