Options

Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Options
    eveing guys!! well we dont exactly have skylarks and cattle down here in london (more like teenage yobs and car exhaust fumes!!) but it is a gorgeous sunset out there!! just ran 6.12K and i'm well impressed with myself, even though i am absolutely knackered now!

blimey pilotlight - you are very impressive with that bike!! you must have buns of steel ;-)

what picture you go gonna go for jo?

NB- try putting some frozen peas on your hamstring and then rubbing deep heat into it before you go to bed - this works with my back sometimes!
  • Options
    been out on the bike again tonight - think I've got the hang of the gears now, thanks for the lesson, pilotlight! Did 6 1/2 miles, took about 40mins - I think people can run faster than that, lol!! And based on that pace it would take me around 4 hours to do 36 miles! How do you do it pilot? Found it very hard as my quads were killing me - not sure if that's from Monday's bike ride or last night's gym. well whichever it was I'm having a rest day tomorrow!!

I'm just on the edge of town, so although no skylarks and cattle, did get a lovely whiff of manure as I passed the fields - that made me pedal faster I can tell you! Oh yes that and the fumes from the A127 - delightful!!

Norfolk broad - do be careful with the hamstring, the reason my achilles got so bad is because I ignored it when it first started niggling

• Options
    hey jen - well done for your bike ride - that's a really good effort! how is your achillies? ah the A127 - i know it well - watch out for the boy racers on that one!

i must admit i have turned into a complete training log geek and am currently plotting all my runs on a graph (can't you tell im an accountant lol!) - very gratifying to see progress though and def something to look at when having a quiet week or lacking motivation!
  • Options
    Thanks godders - will give the frozen peas / deep heat a try (it's not exactly seduction scent, but hey); and you're right, Jennik - it's so easy to get impatient, ignore something and hope it goes away!! The intention is to do weights at the gym next (Friday) so there's a couple of days without running.

and godders - all my progress is logged on excel with charts - and I'm not even an accountant...

pilotlight - 36 miles in 2 hours - good grief... pay homage to the fit god...

bigdavid - what software did you use to create your little animated gif? which is great?

thanks everybody

nb x
  • Options
    godders - Whereabouts do you live then, I'm in Hornchurch. Fortunately, I'm only on the A127 for about a mile and I go on the footpath, not the road. I'm just working out a 10 mile route on mapmyrun that takes in more country roads and avoids the main ones (I'll take the aroma of manure over the exhaust fumes anyday!)

Achilles is feeling better every day, but will give it at least another week before I try running again

I think a training log is a great idea, as long as you don't get too hung up when you have a bad run. I keep mine on fetcheveryone.com
  • Options
    NB - def not desire enducing but deep heat does work! besides, can be a new excuse if having a headache has been used recently!

Jen - i live in bexleyheath (over the water im afraid!!) but my best mate lives in harold wood and we go running sometimes together over your side!

im using fetcheveryone.com as well but i have also 'adapted' my stats and colour co-ordinated them - i prob shouldn't have just admitted that should i??!
  • Options
    nb - just had a quick look at your blog. the before and after photos are amazing - you've not only taken lbs off but years as well!

godders - I must admit, I do also have my runs in excel spreadsheets and charts as well as using fetch (and I'm also an accountant!) - haven't gone so far as colour co-ordinating yet - but I'm not doing anything tomorrow night, lol!!!

Anyway, guess I'd better go and spend 5 mins with my hubby before turning in. I can see this forum causing marital rifts!
    While he is pleased I'm doing something to get fitter and healthier, and is very supportive in that he minds the kids while I'm out doing my thing, he does get a bit fed up that I spend so much time on here. Better get a laptop, so I can sit in the same room as him and be on the forum at the same time!!
  • Options
    hi guys!

NB - how is your leg today? did the ice/deep heat combo work?

Jen - were you able to plot a 10 mile course in the end that had more country roads? seems like we are all geeks when it come to our training logs - would definitely recommend the colour co-ordinating lol!!

i have had the worst day EVER at work and cannot wait to get out running tonight to pound away at the pavement - might try and see if i can run non stop for 50 mins! if you see no more posts from me then you will know that 50 mins was far too optimistic and i'm probably lying on the ground somewhere trying to make my legs work so i can get home!!
  • Options
    Evening folks, reading about where people live and their running routes. it seems that I may be very lucky. I am virtually straight out onto tracks or very quiet roads. If I am cycling (sorry, but I am not a fit god, just very used to cycling) (by the way My legs were very sore this morning from last nights ride, too fast!!!!!!!!!)

Any way I can get into the lanes around here (northumberland) and I can count the number of cars paasing each hour on perhaps 2 hands. We have some beautifully peaceful lanes.

Massage will help with muscular injuries. Sit on a towel, on the bed, or chair. Take some massage oil, or body lotion. put your leg in a way that relaxes the muscle (floppy) and gently massage around the muscle for 2-3 minutes. repeat with the other leg. do the tops of thighs, underneath thighs, calfs and eventually feet. Try to rub towards heart for improved circulation.

better still get your partner to do it for you. I use bribery.

When I was much younger and cycle racing my dad used to give me a massage after every race and hard training session. We even bought a massive heavy kitchen table so I could lie on it.

Bliss, those were the days???
  • Options
    Jennik, 3 1/2 hours, and that is good going. keep it up.

Cycling like running takes time to develop a base fitness, then the miles will drift by.

strange I hit 26 miles on the bike computer and thought.... by jove.... people run this FAR....??????
  • Options
    Like pilotlight, I am able to run around roads that are very quiet, though not as quiet as northumberland. I'm in Staffordshire, in a village. My husband does some great runs (he's now up to 12 miles; he started after me!!) and I look forward to going further than to the next bridge on the canal!!

I am shattered reading about all the cycling. What's happened to you all?! This fitness lark is taking you all over ..... I shall stand alone in a field of fitness fantatics.

<stands alone in a field of fitness fantatics>

Ok, bored on my own. I'll get my bike out and dust it down and see what all the fuss is about.
  • Options
    god you guys with your quiet roads, canals and confused pheasants are really making me jealous!!

i stand with you in your field of anti cycling jo - im still not talking to my bike after my 'calamity jane' experience the other night! tho i did jump on the exercise bike tonight instead of going running as didn't get in from work till late and it was bit dark to go on a big run by myself! managed 13K in half an hour - if only i was that quick at running!

have you decided on your picture yet jo?
  • Options
    <is joined by godders in her once-lonely field of fitness fantatics>

I haven't looked still. Actually, I don't really know how to get a picture on here that isn't on my computer. Will have to get DH on the case.
  • Options
    you should be able to save it your computer by hovering your mouse over which ever picture you like and then right clicking on the image and select 'save picture as' - you can then save this in a file on your pc and upload to the site
  • Options
    Just done that actually. Will now try and actually get in on screen!

Not very computer minded, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Ok, it's pending. Now I just hope that I put the correct picture in.

Not that I have any dodgy ones on my hard drive, honest!!!!
  • Options
    lol jo! you back on track with your running this week? R4L is coming round rather fast - i really hope i dont get overtaken by any walkers - i will die of shame if i do and be banished from the site!
  • Options
    It's bound to happen, to be honest, at least at my event. I run that slowly that anyone doing power walking will definitely overtake me.

I haven't been out since yesterday morning when I had a bad session. Not sure when I'll get out again either as DH not home tomorrow night.

What stage are you at at present? How long are you comfortably running at or how many miles?

Where's your event?
  • Options
    lol yeah i think im likely to get overtaken as well - oh well!!

at the mo i can run for bout 40 mins covering bout 6K. my first event is on 11th july - it's a corporate run thing that im running with my work (i think jen is doing this is as well) taking place in battersea and im then running R4L in regents park on 21 july? how bout you? im also debating signing up for a 10K in august.... debating being the key word there!!
  • Options
    Hi guys -

hope you had a good day. No training yesterday, this was husband's one day off in the week, so involved some bimbling round garden centres and the local wildlife park (Pensthorpe - very fine).

godders - thanks for asking. Didn't have any deep heat when I looked so will get and try when I go out later today (to gym and then supermarket - both on the same complex).

jennik - many thanks for nice words about blog - I'm well pleased!

pilotlight - love the idea of the massage. Although what bribery would be enough to ensure that sort of treatment? Possibly not on a family forum...

Have just used this site to enter the Wroxham 5K (#3 in series, in August) and this will be my first race (as opposed to fun run). Am determined to manage a speed of around 10 minutes per mile or not too more - at least to beat my 39 minutes on the R4L.

Those of you doing R4L - do you have links to your sponsorship pages that we can see? (Mine was here.)

Oh, and godders - the 10K sounds a great thing to do - although I won't be trying that until the next round, I think - need to do a 5K a bit faster first!

Have a good day, everyone.
  • Options
    My R4L is on July 15 at Sutton Park, outside Birmingham. I don't have a sponsorship page, NB, I'm afraid.

Sounds like you have a good pace there godders. I did my only 5k run in 45 minutes, so yet again I bet I am the slowest of this group!!!

I am actually starting to dread the R4L. I know it's a fun event, but I have built it up in my mind and have been so determined that I am going to run it that I will be so disappointed if I do walk at all. Being overtaken is not a major problem for me as I know I do run very slow so long as I'm not overtaken by many older ladies!!!

I do realise that I have got to get over myself!!!
  • Options
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a new 'plodder' & manage around the mark of 13min miles - having a great time with blisters at the moment but have been reading up on here about compeed and 1000 mile socks & while I was shopping had the video gait thing done and ended up with new trainers too (great guys at Birmingham Runners). I had breast cancer last year so am trying to work up my fitness again. Hope to get my other half motivated as the area that I live is a bit dodgy to run alone (so far I've been in the gym) anyway I think the company would be nice - I'm fairly shy so the thought of joining a club is a bit daunting at the moment! My daughter has just completed the R4L and was so proud that she beat last years time by 4 minutes.

I'll surf about this forum for a while and try and get to know more about you.....am at work at the moment having a sneaky surf....

TC
  • Options
    Hi TC. Good luck to getting your fitness back. Whereabouts in birmingham are you?
  • Options
    Hi TC and welcome to the thread! Good luck with getting yuor fitness back - i'm sure you will be running faster than the lot of us soon!

love your picture jo! of course you will be able to run your R4L - we have quite a while yet until race day and apparently the crowd etc always makes you keep going - best thing is to try to not pressure yourself too much. also, you have had a couple of days rest so you will prob find that during your next run, you'll find it alot easier.

and to be honest, on that particular run, i was running in a thunderstorm so i was going a hell of a lot faster than usual due to fear of being stuck by lightning - usually takes me bout 45mins to do 5K so we will both be bringing up the rear in the group!

NB- my sponsorship page is http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/hgodley29 - quite a few cheesy messages on there from my crazy friends!!
  • Options
    Thank you!

I'm from Studley but currently live in Nuneaton due to the other half's work - from countryside to town!

July 15th is a few weeks away, I'm sure you will be up for it by then!!
  • Options
    Welcome MiniTC, hope you're back to full fitness soon. If you can get your OH running with you that would be great, I find it so much easier to run with company - occasionally my son comes out with me on my shorter runs, it goes so much quicker and neither of us wants to be the one who walks first!!

Jo - love the pic, I had no idea that silhouette of me was kicking around the internet, lol! As for the cycling, I only started because I can't run at the mo, but am loving it, so will deffo keep it up when I'm back to running for my 'rest' days. And I know I keep saying it, but don't stress over R4L, you'll be fine once you get there.

I have my 3rd and final R4L of the year on Sunday at Chelmsford, which I will be walking. I don't have a webpage for sponsorship though, I did it the oldfashioned way and went and stood over everyone in my office (and always make sure you get the most generous person to go first to set an example!) We raised over £600 between 2 of us, which was fantastic.

Weather permitting will be out testing out my new 10 mile cycling route tonight.

Good luck and enjoy to anyone running / cycling tonight
  • Options
    don't you get hot running with all that long hair flowing behind you jen??!! good luck on sunday in your R4L - tell us all about it!
  • Options
    my bribery ussually involved doing chores or taking kids out,

your suggestion NB reminds me of that lovely little tune (I nearly spelt it chune!!!!!!) by Kylie...................................................................................

"I should be so lucky... lucky... lucky,lucky...."

Spark1it love the piccy, very charlie's angels (70's style)
  • Options
    Hi miniTC, anyone who loves original mini's are welcome here, in my book.

One the point of races, I was looking around for one to enter up here, and found a cancer run, 10k, wait for it

£17.50 to enter???????????????? WHAT!!!!!!

that's before getting sponsorship???

I think someone is taking the Mick.

I think there are some fell races round here that cost a couiple of shilling and you win your weight in cheese?
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments about the pic. Of course, it is exactly how I look. Except bigger calves.