Options

Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Options
    hi jo - i fund the hills useful but HORRIBLE! i wanted to cry when i looked up and saw what i had to run up! im glad to say my R4L is a flat route - it's why i chose it - i know, i know, such a coward!! that's a bit rubbish about the courses rarely being 5K - altho I'm sure on the day i will love it if it isn't as far!!

early bird - def sign up for some races - as jo said, it relly gives you something to aim for and makes all the training worth while.

yes thunderstorms are something that I may give a miss in the future - that's probably why i have now injured my leg as i was jumping everytime the thunder boomed!
  • Options
    Joanne, I would not worry too much about the course being longer than 5k, you will find on the day that your training will allow you to do much further. You will do just ok.

Look on the bright side, it could be short!!
  • Options
    No, pilotlight, that's what I mean. It's rumoured to be shorter than 5K.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here all week, so hope you're all doing well!

I've been forced to get running outside this week as the electrics on all the treadmills at my gym have gone so they're all out of use - disaster!

Also had a thought earlier (yes, I know!) - are people going to continue running when they go on holiday this summer? I have a week in Greece booked and would like to go out at least a couple of times running but am wondering whether it will be too hot. I am slightly addicted to exercise and last year on holiday used to go in the hotel pool in my 'proper' swimming costume and goggles, plowing up and down doing lengths when all the kids had got out in the early evening. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I hate getting out of my routine. I expect I'll get funny looks if I carry on running whilst abroad! Perhaps I'll try and give myself the week off but I don't really want to as the half-marathon I've entered isn't long after.
  • Options
    Hi Hepburn. I think you should continue to do something, esp as you are training to a half marathon. I think you doing your lengths last year is fantastic; I'm laughing just thinking about you in your goggles. Woe betide any little kid who got in your way!!!!

I know it's not the same as Greece, but I certainly got out as much as I could when I went to Devon a couple of weeks ago. It was only twice in the end but at least it kept my routine going and made me feel smug!!! (Always a good emotion!)

Either do your swimming to at least keep active or if you feel it's not too hot early in the morning, go for a gentle run.

I went for my Sunday run with the beginners class I attend this morning. Jez, I feel shattered now. Not a good run. She took us for a 5K and though I tried to keep to my slow pace, everyone else was in front and the organiser was with me at the back, and it felt like she was pacing me faster than I wanted! We had a hill at the end (actually a bridge but it felt like Everest!) and I am ashamed to say I stopped just before the top because I was convinced I was going to throw up! Luckily, my rival in this group who was ahead of me admitted that she had to walk for 150 yards before running again so it made me feel a bit better that it wasn't just me (by the way, when I say rival, I mean that in a nice way. We egg each other on as we are similiarly unfit!)

Hope everyone else's runs this weekend are better! x
  • Options
    hi everyone! hope you are all having a good weekend!

hepburn - i totally agree with jo and think it would be a good idea to try and a get a couple of runs in on holiday. when i was in egypt a couple of weeks back, i only did a couple of runs but i felt that by doing that, i hadn't lost any progress when i got back home. def try and run as early as possible tho as the heat and humidity really affect you!

i had a similar experience with my run yest jo - went on a slightly longer route but had to walk for a little bit which annoyed me! i keep trying to tell myself that if you are really hurting or threatening to throw up, it's probably a good idea to wak for a bit as it's our bodies way of telling us that we are pushing a little bit too hard - still doesn't make it any less frustrating tho!

i'm currently trying to find the motivation to pull on my trainers and go out for a run today - especially after the extra couple of glasses of wine last night that i definitely need to burn off!! fingers crossed there will be no walking today!
  • Options
    hey!

Im like you started about 4 months ago - i love running but im a slow pacer, only on treadmills cause i find im useless at pacing myself outside! I can happily run 15 mins no problem but then i have to strat really pushing.

I did the walk 5, run 10 thing once i was comfortabe with running 5 mins, but wouldnt pusg it... would walk inbetween. Have run for life on July 11th, terrified i wont do it bit wont give up!!

Thanks for starting this post - it helps to know there are others like me out there!!

Nat x
  • Options
    Nat

Don't worry about your RFL, I am sure there won't be any pressure on the day, just enjoy the moment.
  • Options
    Morning All,

Hope you don't mind me joining your thread. I went for my first run in 2 years last night (had bad infuries over the last 2 years and gave it all up). Have put a bit of weight on - as you do saw a photo of myself the other day and thought this can't go on!

Thought I'd join as it gives me a bit of motivation etc. when I talk to other people about what they have achieved.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, especially all the new faces. Not been around for a while as am sulking a bit due to my Achilles tendon still not being quite as it should. Have given running a miss for the last 10 days to give it a good rest, and as it had been feeling better thought I might try a short run on Wednesday, maybe just a mile or so. However, went out to lunch today and got caught in the rain, so made a quick dash back to the office and realised it's still not quite up to running. Have my next R4L on Sunday, so looks like I'll be walking that one. Went on the bike at the gym the other day and that doesn't seem to aggravate it, so maybe it's time to get the old bike out of the garage!!

Anyway, I'm going to stop sulking now and try and keep up with all your posts. Btw, someone said (was it godders?) that they're doing the Chase run – are you doing the Wednesday or the Thursday? I'm doing the Thursday, hopefully I'll be running again by then!

Jen :-)
  • Options
    hi everyone! hope everyone's monday isn't proving to be too horrendous! i don't know what happened to my running over the weekend but on both runs i had to walk at some stages and on sunday my hamstrings seized up so consequently when i got back i was not a happy bunny! gonna give myself a rest tonight so fingers crossed i might be back to usual tomorrow!

jen - i totally feel your pain with your achilles - i pulled that a few years back. def don't try to run on it before it's healed as the last thing you want to do is aggravate it and then tear it. yes im doing the chase - i think im doing this on the wednesday (11th) and it's coming round very quickly! which R4L are running this weekend?
  • Options
    Godders - I'm doing Chelmsford R4L - this is my 3rd this year! Know what you're saying about not aggravating the achilles - the reason it's the way it is now because when it first starting complaining a couple of weeks ago I ignored it and carried on running. So I 've learnt that lesson the hard way, and much as I want to run on Sunday, I definitely don't want to tear it and have a long term injury. I'm still getting in some training as I go to the gym twice a week, and I'll try and do some cycling and/or swimming as well to keep up the cardio side of things, until the tendon is better.
  • Options
    jen - you sound like a super fit person anyway without the running this week! i always intend to do some cycling/swimming as well but by the time i get in from work, all i seem to be able to face is either running or a glass of wine!! im very impressed that you are doing your 3rd R4L. i've got my very first one on 21st july in Regents Park which I'm looking forward to!

injuries are so annoying aren't they! my hamstring is a bit tender at the mo and I know i should rest it but the thought of not going running for a few days seems horrible (never thought i would be saying that a few weeks back!!)
  • Options
    Godders - me, superfit - if only!! You obviously haven't seen me!! I'm about 4 stone overweight and although I'm not totally unfit for my size, I've got a long way to go.

Anyway, my hubby has got the bike out of the garage and pumped up the tyres for me, so now I've no excuses for not going out - unless it starts raining before I get home. Leaving work now, will let you all know how I get on - it's been a while since I went out on the bike, so expecting a very sore backside tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Hi to Natalie and KC plodder. Good to hear there's more of us newbies!

Jen, I was wondering the other day where you had got to. Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope all is better soon. Very impressed with your biking instead. I don't know how people get on with biking; not my cup of tea at all.

People are actually starting to notice my body changing and the weight I'm losing, which is really inspiring! My legs which have always been horrific and are still horrific (got very big calves), do seem a little better and I actually bought some leggings yesterday which if someone had told me I'd be doing a couple of months ago, I'd have laughed in their face. Not sure I'll wear them down to the school but one step at a time, eh!

By the way, does anyone know how to change the screen name? You all have such great names, and mine came up as this from when I entered my details and I can't seem to change it.
  • Options
    Changed it! It was really easy, I don't know why I couldn't do it before. Must have been really tired.

Jo x
    (formally Joanne Ferriday)
  • Options
    Hi,ive just started the run/walk programme.im 41 yrs old,have 4 kids and now want to be able to increase my fitness level,been going to the gym for well over a year now 3 or 4 times a week doing Body Pump and Spinning Classes.would also like to lose 1/2 a stone
  • Options
    Hi Deborah. Good luck!

PS How the h*ll do you get time to go to the gym so often with 4 children?!
  • Options
    evening everyone! great name jo! and well done for for purchasing your leggings!

hi deborah - good luck with the training - no doubt in a few weeks you'll be setting PBs and giving us all a run for our money!

instead of running tonight (my back has been a bit sore - think i was too extravagent with the decorating yest!!) i thought i would do some cycling. well after a couple of miles i went through what i thought was just another ordinary puddle but oh no - it was good foot deep and i hit something sharp and subsequently both fell off said stupid bike and got a puncture so i had to walk the bloody thing all the way home with a bleeding knee! consequently, im now sipping a nice glass of wine (medicinal of course!!) and promising myself that i will stick to running and sell previously mentioned stupid bike on ebay!!
  • Options
    always have been clumsy - it's amazing i can actually run come to think of it! would have been nice if my boyf had shown a little more sympathy rather than glancing up from tv and laughing...might sell him on ebay as well!!!
  • Options
    At least you were trying. I don't think I could do a couple of miles even.
  • Options
    im sure you could jo - especially as you are already running 5K! i'm a bit worried that I still haven't run 5K yet - spesh as the R4L coming up fast! do you find your running club useful? im thinking bout going along to one in my area.
  • Options
    OK, now I’m out of my sulk and have had a bit of a catch up

Natalie/Godders - like BD says, just enjoy the R4L and don‘t put any pressure on yourself. Run when you can and don’t worry if you need to walk - you‘ll find the atmosphere, the other runners, the spectators, the inspiring messages on peoples backs and the marshals will lift you and carry you along and you‘ll do better than you thought you could. Sorry - I‘m a bit of a R4L bore - have done about 15 or so over the last 10+ years, run/walked at varying fitness levels, enjoyed every single one of them but this year was the first time I’ve ever run the whole distance.

Well my cycling was a bit more successful than Godders (poor you), but much harder than I remember. Doesn't help that I haven't got a clue what gears to use for hills and flat bits! (pilotlight, as the resident cycling expert can you help out on that one?) Did around 5 miles, had intended doing about 8, but as I started later planned it was getting a bit dark so I cut the ride short. Even so, I am really going to be feeling it tomorrow, and that's with a gel saddle and all my extra padding!! At least the achilles feels fine though

Hi Deborah - 41's a great age to start running - no prizes for guessing my age then, but I only have 2 kids (and that's more than enough most of the time!)

Like the new name Jo

Anyway need my beauty sleep, so g’night all

Jen x
  • Options
    Hi everyone. i am new to this site and new to running. not doing to bad. went out today for a short run. havent been out for a while due to the appalling weather of late. managed to run for 1 mile which is the target that i have set myself to improve on before i up the distance. found a great website that you can map out a route and it will tell you how far it is. this is helpful when trying to decide on a course.

i have a young daughter of 7 years old and i often find the time to run by running alongside her while she rides her bike if i dont get a chance to run while she is at school.
    also doing cycling as well almost everyday. need to do this as i dont drive so it has become ny regular mode of transport.

nothing else to say at the mo apart from to say i have high hopes for my running progress.
  • Options
    wow!!! I havn't posted for a few days logged on this morning and couldn't believe how many new posts there were.It sounds like you are doing brill(sorry to hear about your achillies jennik)Godders you sound as clumsy as me my hubby always says if i don't kick it i nut it ha ha.Love your new name Jo.Deborah I don'tknow where you find the energy and commitment from to go to the 3 or 4 times a week do you go with someone else?(I would have to or i would probably give in after a few weeks)Jennifer what website is it that you found for measuring your route i wouldn't mind trying it(i have been sitting with a piece of paper and pen with an ordadnce survey map trying to find out how far i have been running)

Anyway just to let you know i have just started week5 run 8 walk 2 and found it quite hard had to slow down quite a lot on some parts of my run(but i was determined i was not going to walk until it was time to walk)Still havn't plucked up the courage to actually enter a race but my sis-in-law is running tomorrow night (Newburn riverside run) so i'm going to watch her and see what everyone else does (It's 6 1/2 miles and she has done no training apart from running around leazes park once but she's 10 years younger than me and quite fit anyway she says she knows that she can run 4 miles so even if she has to walk some of it she's not bothered)I did have a look for a R4L in my area but it's 8th july and i won't be ready by then(that my excuse and i'm sticking to it)I'm going to devon on holiday at the end of july and i fully intend on going out for a run at least twice just hope that i'm up to running for 30 mins without stopping by then.Got to go and make up the packed lunches for the sprogs for school TTFN.

• Options
    hi everyone! welcome to the very addictive world of running jennifer! what is the website you have been using - it sounds really good! i recently purchased a pedometer from argos - its actually really good as it tells you how far you have run in miles and it only cost £3!! would definitely recommend!

sounds like your sis-in-law is very fit early bird - let us know what the race 'atomospere' is like - im sure you will come back and sign up to loads of races!
  • Options
    There are a few websites for recording your runs - I use mapmyrun.com. You can map your own routes, or look up any that have been saved by other runners in your area - also useful if you're planning on running on holiday I guess.

I also use fetcheveryone.com to record my training runs and races

EB - Like Godders says, I bet once you've been to watch the race you'll be signing up for everything!

Oh and Hi Jennifer, welcome aboard :-D
  • Options
    jenni - that is a fantastic website! i have just been plotting my runs and discovered that I have been running a lot further than i thought so i'm now sitting at my desk and feeling very smug!!
  • Options
    Hi all - new to this site, fairly new to running. I love the support everybody contributes.

Re run map sites: I like the Little Red Frog Mapper software - you download maps from any of the regular sites (e.g. Multimap), tell it the scale, click the route, and it works out the distance. Very handy.

Re my background: after dozens of failed attempts at weightloss over the years I decided to try a different way (the definition of madness: doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome!). Got a personal trainer for weekly sessions. Started January at 167 lb. My PT has become a really good friend; I've done my first R4L (39 minutes, but I jogged the whole thing, didn't stop and didn't walk) and raised over £1,000; now weigh 146 lb. Want to really RUN my next 5K (rather than a very slow jog-trot) and then do a 10K. Would like to lose about another 7 lb but very happy with slow downward progress of a pound every week or two.

Now running 2-3 times a week, 2-3 miles a time, plus 1-2 weights sessions at gym. Loving it, wanting to do more. I know I will need more inspiration, support, advice etc. and think I'm going to find it here.

If anybody's really interested, I've blogged it at http://rectorswiferevamp.blogspot.com. And yes, I really am a rector's wife - but not a very conventional one!!

Look forward to being part of this. It's great.