Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

Cragchick. I did two triathlons after 2 years of running injuries. I was pretty bike fit and have always been a pretty good swimmer from learning properly as a teenager. Open water is a challenge though. Invest in good wet suit or hire one. Try and do some open water swimming beforehand if you can. We have an old 100 yards outdoor pool here, which is fun, but works well, always triathletes in there trying out their wet suits!!

Have to say though on my first which was olympic distance. I came out of the water in 31st, was in 32nd when set off on the run and came home in 13th!!! Once a runner always a runner. Bike is now rusting on the workshop wall!!

Other thing about clubs is they always tend to also do a sunday run which may help you Minks. Company is good on long sunday runs. I haven't been down to my club for a couple of months now as club night is tues when boys are at childminders so its better currently for me to get a run in daylight that day. Must go down on a thurs though, as they do speedwork, have been going first thing, but hard to run fast that time of day.

• Options

I don't think I'd be doing nearly as much training at the moment if it wasn't for my club. Knowing that there are people there waiting for me is really good motivation to get out of the door, and because it's at set times I can plan ahead. And I definitely need company on longer runs! Did some cross country this afternoon, which was great fun but VERY muddy and cold.

JP is better today with his sniffle, but he seems to be quite sleepy. He's had quite big naps today, so hopefully he will still settle well tonight. Last night he slept from 11pm until 8.30 this morning! I certainly wasn't complaining.

• Options

Hi everyone,

Just a quick post again from me as it is nearly 9 oclock and nearly my bedtime....

Really enjoying reading your comments and encouraged by your running achievements. GO GIRLS!

Things are going well with 8 day old Freddieboy. He's feeding a lot (breastfeeding on demand) but thriving, so all worth it. Last night was our best night yet 10.30. 12.30. 3.30. 6.30. Fed, no crying and straight back to sleep - clever boy! Only hope it isn't a one off...Previously he had been waking up every hour and a half...

I know you are all busy Mummys but I wonder if any of you could share some top tips on getting back in the early days? What did you do to start the process off? What worked? What didn't?

I did a 3 mile walk today (school run) and really enjoyed it. What an effort to get out the door! PHEW.

Was thinking of building up walking first, waiting for 6 week check and then doing a beginners schedule. I would really welcome any advice. It was a natural labour with no intervention or pain relief, (but gosh I really wanted an epidural in the last hour or so!! Baby changed position to back to back...say no more...)all over now thankfully and very grateful to be looking forward. For thpse of you who don't know me - he is my third, I have a boy and a girl who are 8 and 6.

Thanks girls, hope all is well with you. Promise to join in with the general chat in time.

Re FLM - good luck to those of you doing it next year! I LOVE IT but do not want to do it this year (and def. not up to it) my husband is...so I will enjoy watching it. It is a real shame to get rejected when you are so keen to do it. I would love to do NY one day...and loved watching Paula this year. What an inspiration she is.

x

• Options

Hi Sequin - Good to hear your labour went to plan (well apart from the back to back, ouch!). Your plan for getting back to running sounds good and sensible, I'm sure people will back me in saying don't rush back and risk injury. You are doing well to get out on a walk 8 days in and in this grim weather too!

Hmmmm, reading all this about child care, I'm relieved not to have to think about it - I work for myself from home, and husband does too, so we're lucky  to be able to share it all. We'll see how that goes in reality though!

Janie - you mentioned having a running buggy for Bath half, do you mean you'll be running the half with the buggy, or just for training? I'd love to do a race with baby in tow!

Thanks for all your kind messages about the purse. It's silly, but something as small as that can really shake your faith in people, felt really angry about it today. Grrrrrrr.

Got to go, I've agreed to do a little bit of work on a project and now finding it impossible to get anything done, silly me. 

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

So it looks like a running club might be the way to go.  There is one locally, although it's not a particularly big one.  I did go along once, a few years ago, but wasn't that impressed at the time.  There didn't seem to be a plan for the evening or any idea of what distance we would be running, but I happened to spot the club out one night recently and they seem to have grown in number and it all looked a lot more organised.  Only drawback is the time - it's a 7pm meet-up for a 7:15pm start on a Tuesday.  It would be a bit of a rush for me to get there as hubby often doesn't get home from work until around 7pm - and also would mean eating extremely late after I got back from the club.  But it would be worth checking out to see how feasible it is.

That said, I had a really good run last night which restored my faith in my running after Sunday's experience.  Did 7 miles and got rained on (again!) but felt really good throughout the whole run - even the steep uphill start felt comfortable.  I may yet give FLM a go, even though I probably need to accept that a PB is unlikely.  In view of that, I may revise my expectations and just aim to get another GFA time which will give me a guaranteed place for two more years.

Sequin, I'd be really careful about doing too much too soon.  Your idea of walking until the 6-week check then using a beginner's schedule is pretty sound and is basically what I did after initially launching in full throttle and injuring my back!  Don't forget that the hormone relaxin stays in your body for up to 6 months after the birth and so your joints and ligaments are softer than usual and more prone to injury.  It's very tempting to just go hell for leather after so long away from 'proper' training though!

Kit seems to have gone off his milk - again.  Last night he would only take 1oz from his evening bottle, little rascal.  Some of the rest went in his baby rice but just gave him some yoghurt after his tea as well.  Didn't affect his sleep - he went all night as usual and only wanted 5.5oz of milk this morning.  He may be teething as this seems to affect how much milk he wants.  Fine with his solids though - can't get enough of 'real' food!  By 12 months he'll only need a minimum of 12oz of milk a day - at the moment it's supposed to be 18oz a day (including milk used in food and cooking) so does it just gradually reduce month by month between now and his first birthday?

• Options

minks - i don't think there's any magic switchover in terms of the milk.  these 'minimums' are just guidelines.  the way that jacob's milk intake reduced was that we cut out his midafternoon milk feed.  he just has two lots of milk to drink now - one first thing and one just before he goes to bed.  he still has around 18oz between those two feeds, though! i figure that as long as his weight gain is consistent and appropriate, it doesn't matter if he has more milk than the minimum recommended amount.  and all that milk doesn't put him off his breakfast (where he has more milk on his cereal!).  all that milk last thing at night does mean very wet nappies in the morning though!  will have to cut it down at some point once we start potty training otherwise he will never be dry at night!

one of my friends is breastfeeding her twelve month old (he doesn't have any dairy at all due to extreme eczema / asthma in the family) and she is convinced that his milk intake is very small.  she recently had to go in for an op, so expressed a few feeds and only managed to get about 3oz over 3 days.  so all these guidelines about amount of milk really are just guidelines.  if the baby is feeding on the breast, you really have no idea how much they are taking - they just have what they want, which could well be not much at all.  i watched him feed on monday and he spent most of the time turning around, coming off the boob and grinning at everyone.  the whole process took about 45 seconds.  although j had breastmilk until he was 12 months old, i expressed all of mine, so he always had full bottles (9oz at a time).

i'm actually going to go for a run today.  don't all die of shock at the same time, will you!?  i haven't run for at least a week because i've had another lurgy.  i feel like braving it today and i'm working from home, so will give it a go.  probably be the only run i manage in another two weeks because i'm sure i'm due another lurgy again soon!

• Options

Minks I wouldn't worry about it. As CM says it kind of just happens. My two have totally lost interest in their afternoon milk, so I've ditched it as it was a waste of cows milk, especially now I'm paying for it, cheap skate that I am!! (I breast fed till 6 months, then they had nutriprem 2 formula on prescription so was very lucky didn't have to pay for anything). They now have about 5oz first thing plus milk on cereal, and then about 7-8oz before bed, plus yoghurts, cheese etc. Have you tried giving him his tea at 5pm and then his milk after his bath, as he may then take more milk as there is more of a gap. Also means he won't be so tired for his tea. My two are also very tired after their bath, but still drink their milk, they tend to fall asleep instantly they go in the cot especially now they are walking.

CM don't wish the lurgies on yourself!!! Have you tried taking Echinchea. Is there any chance you could be anaemic, as that can really lower your immune system. I take an iron tablet everyday, and Echinchea during the winter with vit c. Boys are pretty well at the moment, especially now J on inhaler he seems to get over sniffles much more quickly now. Big relief. Still hates having it, big battle twice a day.

Minks can your mum pop by for 30 mins on a tuesday until your hubbie gets in, or find a local baby sitter and get Kit to bed a bit earlier. Running with a club makes running so much easier, and means you get cheaper entry fees!!

I feel very lucky as now work for hubbie and myself, and he runs his own business so can dictate his hours pretty much, although he does have regular clients. He is always home for 6pm, and doesn't usually leave until 8.30am. Today we both managed to run before he went. He ran 4 miles, I ran 7. He has kind of retired from competitive running though, for the moment.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Go for it CM - hope you really, really enjoy it!

Good point about the milk thing too - I don't really worry about it as if he doesn't want it, he really doesn't want it and there's nothing I or anyone else can do to persuade him otherwise, so there's really no point in me stressing about it.  He's perfectly healthy, happy and full of energy, and is obviously getting enough otherwise he'd be crying with hunger all the time or waking in the night.  And as you rightly point out, if I were breastfeeding I'd have no idea how much he was having so wouldn't be able to worry about it anyway.  I suspect Kit will naturally cut out his mid-afternoon milk feed soon anyway - he's reduced it quite a lot naturally over the last week or so.  Once he cuts it out, should I be replacing it with an afternoon snack?

• Options
    Sequin I started with 3 mins jog, 3 mins walk up to 20 mins when I started back at 4 weeks. I walked up to 3 miles before then with the boys in the buggy. I then decreased the walk to a minute, then dropped it so was running for 6 mins. I took it very carefully, but was back running a month later, and did my first race shortly after xmas, a x-country for the club. Just take it easy and enjoy being out by yourself.
  • Options
    Minks i tend to have rice cakes and raisins in my bag all the time, and recently started buying the Goodies cereal bars which they love. They tend to have some of this if they seem hungry, but often just eat more lunch and tea. It really depends how distracted they are. I find if we're at home they need a snack but if we're out unless they are stuck in the buggy and are playing they seem fine. You may find you need to bring his tea earlier though, but you can always take his tea if you are out and about.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

MM, I stopped giving Kit his milk last thing ages ago as even before solids, he would refuse to drink it as he was always too tired.  Pre-weaning I used to split the feed and give him half about 5pm and the rest before bed, after his bath.  He often refused to have more than 1oz or so after his bath.

Once I started him on solids I figured that with a belly full of food he would be even less interested in his milk afterwards, so I do it the other way round - he has his milk at about 5:40, followed by his solids.  He then has about 6oz of milk plus a whole pot of baby rice mixed with more milk and whatever veg he's having in it, then sometimes he'll have half a yoghurt after that and some banana!  I guess I could try giving him his milk after his bath again, but am pretty sure he won't want it.

Actually that's a good point about my mum coming over on a Tuesday until hubby gets home from work - she usually spends Tuesday afternoon with me anyway (now I'm back at work I don't really see her otherwise and I do love spending time with her) so I could just ask her to stay on until hubby gets home if he isn't already in by the time she usually leaves.  I guess I could just have a big lunch that day so it won't matter if I have dinner fairly late and then I wouldn't be running on an empty stomach (which I just can't do, makes me feel faint).

• Options

did it.  5 miles in the bag.  thank goodness it was a lovely day out there!  it felt pretty hard and would have been terrible if it had been grim.

mm - i have taken echinacea in the past and found it didn't help.  i don't think i'm anaemic either.  i just do pick up colds very easily - always have done (in spite of being a hand-washer!).  i could probably do a bit more with my diet to help things, and i'm sure once i manage to get out and run a bit more, things will improve.  it's a vicious circle though - the less you run, the worse your immune system; the worse your immune system, the less you run.

jacob loves those goodies bars as well.  and he also likes dry cheerios in a snack pot (one of those things with a special lid which stops them falling out when they wang the pot around).

• Options

Great going, CM! It feels so good to get out and run, doesn't it? I'm a bit tired after my run yesterday (5 and a half miles off road) but in a good way.

MM - I take high strength Vit C and zinc supplements which seem to help ward off bugs.

Sequin - what you've got planned sounds pretty similar to me with the walk/running. I started off with walking for 2 and running for 2 mins and just building up slowly that way. I'm up to about 15 miles a week now after nearly 10 weeks. It's still quite slow, but I'm enjoying it.

Must go, JP's swing seat has just stopped!! xx

• Options

Hi

Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom and experience girls. Much appreciated.

MM - what buggy do you run with ?- we're looking at the baby jogger II. Be interested to know what folk recommend - and anyone else's views on this. I also splashed out on a treadmill once I found out I was pregnant so hope to get some confidence back at home first. It isn't the same as running outside though.

Minks - know what you mean about the temptation to overdo it but I really do doubt that I will ever be able to run again...seems such a long time ago that I was fit and running for miles without even thinking about it...Hope your back is better now.

AP- a belated sorry about your purse. Don't blame you for being angry.

CC- I love the name Scarlett! Back to back labour is NOT good news, especially when I was made to lie down so they could try and find the baby's heartbeat...I agree with you about enjoying walking. Even putting my trainers on feels good! Sad but true.

Got some sleep last night!! 12, 3.30 then 7.30 feeds, no crying, straight back to sleep. WOW, this is unheard of in my other babies. It feels so good to be able to sleep on my back again and not need millons of pillows!

Friends came round and cooked dinner for the children, hubby and I tonight. YUM. So kind.

Have a good evening everyone.

• Options

I got overtaken by a woman with her baby in a jogger at the Bristol half last year!image

Good to see you over sequin.

Looks like I will be returning to work... I owe them nearly £4000 if I dont!  The good news is that due to my reduced earnings this year I will get nearly £90 a week in Tax credits to help with childcare cost next year which will help, this will reduce to very little the year after but I will worry about that then.  Had a phone around a few providers today and was mostly met with "you will have trouble getting places for 2" but have found a local childminder who will have space in the summer and arranged to see some nurseries.

• Options
    Thanks Hetty - it is good to be here!
  • Options

Minks and CM - James has 2 good milk feeds in the day, if he had an expressed bottle he would often only have a couple of ounces.  This morning I tried him with soya milk on his breakfast, initially he gave me a funny look, then he ate away.  Yeah, I can throw out the expressing pump!I left a message at the health clinic at 9am yesterday asking if it was ok to go down this route.  They got back late this afternoon saying that someone would ring tomorrow.  Too late, I bumped into a lady in Sainsbury's buying soya for her toddler and I was convinced.

I read in A Karmel book that they should not have sausages.  Is this just the high fat?  James has had sausages before.  Do I need to stop giving him them? 

Had massive haircut today, from long hair to pixie style!  James cried through most of the cut.  Hairdresser is pregnant and due in May.  I would love another baby but do not want to be pregnant... so I guess it could be a tad difficult! 

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

PA, was the massive haircut you or James??  If you, hope you're pleased with it.  I splashed out on a new hairdresser last weekend as I haven't been happy with my hair for some time now.  It's shorter than I'd expected but the cut is much better and it seems to sit better and be a bit easier to manage.  Was more than I'd normally pay but I figured it's not as though I spend much on myself these days, so what the hell.

Not sure about sausages - I'd have thought the salt content was an issue?  I'm sure I read they're not meant to have any sort of processed meat (including bacon, ham etc) because of the high levels of salt, but not sure at what age they can then start having these things.

Know what you mean about not wanting to be pregnant.  Not that I didn't like being pregnant (once the sicky couple of weeks had passed) but sometimes I did miss all the things I could no longer do, like sleep on my back, have a glass of wine, and go for a run rather than a jog.  But since I've had Kit I just adore babies, and can't stop cooing over them!

• Options

jacob just about lives on sausages sometimes.  i'm sure it's not ideal because of the salt content, but to be honest, salt is absolutely everywhere - in bread, in shreddies, even i notice in some of the toddler hipp organic range! at nursery they give them sausages very occasionally and also corned beef (YUK!!) it's not that often and i have to say most of the time they give them really decent roasts and things so i'm not fussed.

i do think the odd sausage isn't going to do much harm.  i should probably give jacob less sausage than i do but he loves it so much and eats it down in about 3 seconds (rather than dropping it on the floor which is what he does with just about anything else).  all the toddlers meals in pubs and when you eat out are packed with salt - sausages / chicken nuggets / fishfingers and baked beans!

PA - i gave jacob soya milk on his cereals for a while and he was fine with it.  it's no good as a main milk source until ?2? or so - definitely not from 12 months.  but if you are just putting it on cereals, that's fine.  you can buy soya formula at great expense which is higher in fat content and supplemented but if you are still breastfeeding there's no need to do that.

girls - i've just been out for another run.  shock horror! 2 runs in 19 hours! that's more than i did in the last 19 days i think.  windy out there this morning so was a bit hard but still, it's done!

must dash - need to get to a client's in cardiff to do a presentation and am still in sweaty running kit!

• Options

I think sausages, bacon, ham are OK from a year. In fact everything is pretty much OK from a year, except whole nuts. My two started having bacon at 11 months as we have bacon pasta quite a lot, and I couldn't see what difference 4 weeks was going to make. They've not had sausages yet though, we don't eat them very often.

I had the same response hetty when I rang around. I am very lucky my childminde rthink the twins are wonderful to look after so she is happy to go up to her max children on a monday to give us another day next year. The little boy she will have in addition they see often anyway as he lives in the village so will be good I think. Good luck, I really feel for you, but good news on the tax credits front. Hubbie does some fancy thing with his accountant which means we get childcare vouchers which does help.

Well done on the run CM. I am very hung over this morning after 3/4 of a bottle of white wine on girlie (mums) night out last night. I don't usually drink white, as it does this to me and upsets my tummy. Oh well, I don't exactly go out lots!! Do feel like a run would cure it, but its rest day today and my legs are pretty tired.

The being pregnant thing again is a horrible thought as was so ill and felt enormous by the end. I would really like to be presented with a (just one!!) 12 week old, get the awful bit out of the way!!! Sounds really mean that doesn't it. Oops!

• Options

Not mean at all! I will never forget the feeling of frustration at being 2 weeks overdue - and I was also so uncomfortable by the very end I was ready to kill someone (probably the next person who kindly noted that I couldn't have very long to go). I mostly enjoyed being pregnant up to then though.

Right, going to attempt to do some work!

• Options
    Hetty - lol at someone with a baby jogger passing you in the half last year! But only 'cos the same thing happens to me about twice a week when I'm out with the pram and I'm thinking what a great athlete I am as a powerwalk at great speed (or so I think) and then this woman with fab clothes, fab hair and a fab figure storms past me pushing a double buggy and leaves me for dust image

MM - hope the hangover is subsiding? I usually find a good cup of tea and some salt & vinegar crisps do the trick.

Planning to go to the gym tomorrow. This will be my first attempt at running since my c-section 8 weeks ago. I think it might have been MM who was advising Sequin to try the 3 minutes walk followed by 3 minutes run. So am going to give this a bash on the treadmill and see how I get on. Tried on my gym kit today just to ensure didn't need to dash out and buy something to avoid a public indecency charge - thankfully it still fits although my shorts are much tighter than I'm used to around the waist and derriere!!

Righto, better head - am off out with some Brownie Guiders tonight. It was supposed to be a St Andrews Night supper (haggis, neeps & tatties), so I offered to drive thinking if I'm getting food I don't mind missing out on the wine. However, somewhere along the line there has been a change of plan and its just drinks and nibbles now - not so good for the designated driver - but at least I will avoid MM's predicament of this morning so maybe a better thing image)

• Options

Was a great night out though, so worth it as not very often I get to stay over at friends house and not worry about driving, maybe ;o)

Feeling much better and even comtemplating a glass of red now once boys in bed.

Both took first steps tonight so worth a small celebration!

• Options

MM - wow - both took their steps on the same day.  that's amazing!!  definitely worth a glass of red.

MR - you sound much more cheerful now.  that's great! hope you really are feeling better.

hubby is currently reeling off his christmas wish list to me.  i asked for present ideas up to 100 quid and he's given me about 4 ideas, all 99.99 each!  tsk!

i shall be having a glass of wine shortly.  am on hols from work next week so have spent all evening so far working to get things finished and handed over.  not going away anywhere - just trying to use up leave as it's really hard to take holiday when you are part-time.

good job i went for a trot this morning as i ended up having fish and chips after the client presentation.  we all decamped to a golf club for a wrap up session and all ended up with comfort food to get us through the afternoon!

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

JT, I had a hairy tummy and I also had a boy ... (Thanks for reminding me - had almost forgotten about that!)

Yes, I escaped with only two weeks of sickness.  I remember reading how bad some of you felt and how long it lasted so I know I got off lightly - although I have to say at the time it felt a lot longer than only two weeks.  There were only a couple of days where I threw up literally everything I ate though - I usually managed to keep down two out of three meals a day, even if those 'meals' were sometimes a bit strange.  I remember one evening having just a bowl of plain boiled rice.  I craved bland carbs - progressed onto chicken and gravy pies with mash, then eventually was able to eat fruit and veg again.  I hated not being able to eat my veggies!  The first thing I went off was salmon and I've only just been able to start eating it again.  Even the sight of it on a Young's fish advert on TV made me throw up!  I ate so many chicken pies (in the middle of the July heatwave!) that hubby and I joked that Kit would be born in a pastry case!

CM, well done on your runs!  Had planned to go tonight but canned it - absolutely heaving it down with rain and have spent all day tramping round Oxford Street trying to break the back of the Christmas shopping (Kit was with my mum, at home).  So my legs are pretty tired.  Having already been rained on twice this week while out running I couldn't face a third time, so will do my run tomorrow morning instead, assuming I can drag myself out of bed and forfeit my lie-in.

Am now enjoying a large glass of white wine.  Funny, MM - red wine has exactly the same effect on me that white has on you.  I'm fine with white.  I had a great night out with the girls (mums) a couple of weeks ago, but paid for it the next day.  I wasn't hung over, but we ate quite late which always affects my sleep.  I was awake most of the night then had to work the next day - not good!

Had lunch in the cafe in Mamas & Papas while I was in town, surrounded by mums with their babies.  Really missed my little man, but most of the babies looked none too pleased being dragged around the shops so Kit was probably better off at home! 

• Options

I think both of them walking is worth 2 glasses of red!

I am out with the girls tomorrow but only 2 glasses of wine for me.... dont want drunk babies!  Speaking of feeding, M totlly refused a breast feed at 11 this morning but downed a 7 0z bottle I offered as I didnt want her to go without anything - odd!  Luckily I have freezer full of expressed if she is deciding she likes it better that way, did make me feel a bit sad though.

My company offers childcare vouchers but you have to be careful as they interfere with your tax credits as only the cash part of your salary counts, and only cash part of childcare costs.  not using vouchers will get £90 odd, using vouchers will only get £10 per week plus tax and NI savings!  Was very surprised by that!

Tummy not particularly hairy = girls!

Good luck at the gym MR, take it easy!

• Options

tummy not at all hairy = boy

JT - yes, running around newport is like that at the best of times!

girls - you know what i was saying about my running this week? well guess what i went and did this morning? put my back out!! i was changing jacob on his unit and i bent and twisted to put cotton wool in the bin and twang! i couldn't stand up.  started yelling and hubby came thinking i'd dropped jacob.  it was a good 5 minutes before i could breathe enough to try and stand up.  anyway, i downed ibuprofen immediately and waddled around for a bit and then decided we could go out as we'd planned.  we went to the supermarket and shops and all was fine if a bit twingey and staggery until i bent to pick something up that jacob had knocked off a shelf when ... bang! it went again.  i was trying not to scream my  head off and trying to hoik myself back up off the floor in the middle of the shop.  think people must have thought i was drunk the way i was unable to stand!

anyway since getting home i have unearthed some co-codamol that my husband was given after his knee op last year.  he didn't take it (very brave according to him), so i'm taking them now (big woose according to him).

typical - we now have a week off and i was about to get runs in every day and now this! still, at least i will be able to get to osteo hopefully!

JT - wild weather here at the moment, isn't it?! wind, hail, thunder, lightning and 0.5 degrees on the way back from town.