Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

Oh, and I got a replacement Garmin 305 this week.  The one I got for Christmas last year had started being a bit funny - either not getting the satellites or getting them and losing them, but then not getting them back.  Anyway, I eventually got them to issue me a returns number, sent it back and got a new one within 3 days! 

Seems to be working just fine.

• Options
    TB - bonus to get a new garmin - hurrah!

Christmas - benefit of having IL's in Dublin is that they don't really expect us to make the trip too regularly, especially not with a new baby... so we will be at my Dad's in Hereford again, potentially for a while if we don't find somewhere to live!!
    Hubby out looking at places today mostly I think, and I have had to have a blitz here as the agents want to show someone around here this afternoon. Bum.
  • Options
    CC - I don't think I had to give any kind of indication where I had got my Garmin from when it stopped working (now have a reconditioned one like Tallbird's) if I remember rightly. I sent mine off because I tried everything they recommended, and then when they also came to the conclusion that it was dead, they sent me my new one!image Try filling this form in: Garmin help If it still doesn't work, they will contact you with an 'RMA number' so you can send yours back.
  • Options

My garmin is staying on the shelf until May next year. I do not want to know how slowly I am running over the next 6 months. Think I will attempt a short run tomorrow. Maybe first thing, or after I've dropped the boys off.

Busy day today and feel pooped. I am going to go to pilates though. About time I started again, its been 4 weeks, and I need to do exercise now!

Right boys tea nearly ready. Time to dash...

• Options

CC - well done on the long run. That's a really good time for an off roader. So have you decided to go for Inverness or are you still investigating all the options. 

Good to hear you are going to try running again MM. Hope it goes well.

Kinsey - hope you find somewhere soon.

Minks - hope you had a nice day with your mum.

Christmas relatively simple here. This year we are going to my parents for lunch. Will just drive up to theirs at lunchtime (they are 30 mins away). It will be the first time in years my Dad has been home. He and Mum should be back from Uruguay at the beginning of December. The last couple of Christmas's my mum has come for Christmas Day and my in-laws have come up in the morning to exchange pressies and have a bucks fizz nad have then gone home to have MILs sister over for a quiet meal. My FIL struggles with our noisy brood!This year will be really nice too because my sister and her wee boy will be at my parents too.

Getting a bit uptight about going away. I know it is only for a couple of days but such a lot to organise so that hubby can cope! Am worried how he will deal with the twins and also hate flying and have managed to convince myself that the plane is going to crash and the children wil be left with no mum all because I wanted to go run a stupid race!! And I am usually such a calm and rational person - honestly.

Ham no better which is seriously annoying. I feel that I am not going to be able to get a time that I am happy with but will give it my best shot.

Hubby is away but due home later tonight. Probably wont run now until Sunday and hope for the best. Right have to go, Sophie needs the computer for her homework project.

• Options

Drove to and from Norwich today (2 hrs each way) hubby cycled there - 105 miles.  He left at 5am and got there at 1.30, in good condition.  Got to have lots of cuddles with my friends 10 wk old son.  Sadly she's not in a good way really - she has suffered really badly in the old pelvic floor dept, so much so she said she really thinks she's made the biggest mistake of her life by having a baby.  Not helping that the baby isn't sleeping well at all (ok he's only 10 wks old, but of course all the other NCT babies sleep more, or so she says).  She is a Dr and will be a consultant in 2 yrs or so, and her whole life plan was to have 2 kids with a 2 yr age gap - she even bought a pram that would become a double one.  She now says no way, she's never having another.  I tried to tell her that it does get better, and I think M might have convinced her a little, as she was very happy all day.  I think things all will get better with time, and once her son's a bit older and more rewarding, but still sad to hear her talk like that when in theory you're supposed to be really happy when you have a baby.........

Also other friend who had the premature baby by c section with loads of complications has got him home.  We don't know yet if he is healthy, but Dr friend reckons from looking at pics of him that all is not well.  I thought because all the chromosomal tests had come back ok that all was ok, but apparantly there can be genetic probs that aren't chromosomal probs, that can still cause defects.   The thing that makes it so sad is that as her husbands MS gets worse, she could potentially have to care for an unwell husband and an unwell child.  Kind of puts everything else into perspective really.

Anyway, on that cheery note!  Time for supper.  Didn;t run today as I haven;t had a day off since race on Sun.  Got dentist at 8.45 tomorrow to see whether I have got a cavity or if I am imagining it.  Ouch. 

• Options

Cragchick - if you don't hear anything from your email, give them a call - 0808 238 0000.  Probably they will get you to try a factory reset, and then make sure you have all the software updates, etc, and then they will give you a returns number.

Hubby bought mine for me and had the email proof of purchase, but Garmin didn't ask for it - I guess they can tell how old the units are or something?  

I am now wondering whether I get another 12 month guarantee on the 'new' unit I have (it's not new - it's reconditioned like TB's), what do you reckon?  

Went for the swine flu vaccine today - mixed feelings about it but decided it was the right thing to do.  Too late to change my mind now.

• Options

oh lotte - you are the supermum, aren't you?  i think nothing of abandoning my 2 children regularly while i jaunt off for work.  you make me feel ashamed!

caro - that's mad what your hubby did.  although i was talking to someone at work the other day who had done 2 back to back ironmen (!???) and thought nothing of cycling to essex from yorkshire; or to paris from yorkshire and then running the paris marathon.  truly truly insane.

i did 6 miles today but my HR is up - due to lack of sleep on mon / tues i guess.  image.  i am still working - STILL doing this D&CC stuff and when i've finished that, it'll be time for some more stuff for the probation service, which is what i'm really supposed to be doing these days.  hubby is away in france, so it's not like i have anything better to be doing - but must get something to eat as my tummy is rumbling.

• Options
    CM - I think you are the supermum. Just reading about your work makes my head spin. I am only bogging off for one weekend - you have to make these kind of arrangements all the time, I don't know how you do it. Good you got 6 miles done today. I got a HR monitor with my garmin but have never worn it. Maybe I should give it a go and try to see if I can train more sensibly.
  • Options

Cripes- I'm lagging behind again!!

Don't know what to do for xmas yet- of course we've already done the dinner & tree a few weeks ago for eldest who will be in Sydney by then! 

Caro- hope your friend feels better soon. I have to say although I love my boys, I'd never have another due to fear of abnormalities. All my kids have allergies & asthma & with Archie's kidney probs it really made me realise that I don't have healthy babies...

Busy home & work front but day off tomorrow so may take boys to toddlers (which I hate but they love...)

• Options

Hope the blood count is normal JT.

My garmin seems fine, ahd it for over a yr.  I know if the batteries are run down as it takes longer to find the sattelites.  I don't do anything esp complicated with it though.  I was looking at one of the garmin ready marathon schedules and wondering what the point is of downloading it to the garmin - has anyone ever done it?  (not that I've entered a marathon or anything, but just incase....)

Lotte I used to think nothing of flying, have flown gazillions of times in my life.  However for the past few yrs i've really started being frightened, not only when I fly, but when one of my close family flies.  I esp hate turbulence and sit there with my eyes closed saying my prayers!  I think I would be much happier if I knew how the plane worked and stayed up there.  Funnily enough I prefer small planes as I find it easier to understand how a small plane can stay up, that a huge one.  Good luck for the 1/2, can't wait to hear how you do!!

I posted some pics on facebook last night Autumn pics CM they show M modelling the muddy puddles stuff I got on your recommendation.

Time for dentist.......I have a really bad feeling about this!

• Options

I've not even had a letter or phone call yet TB. Not even a mention of it! I had decided not to have it, but will decide for sure once I get offered it. My boys should be offered it too as they have asthma and are under 5.

Going for a short run this morning while boys at pre-school. Also have an open day at the plant nursery I get my plants from, a tour and some lunch, so need to get back from run and out the door for that. Also have pre-school comittee meeting tonight, but can get out of that if I'm feeling rough.

Am now OK in the day, just tired still, but evenings are still a bit of a battle. I went to pilates last night, but will switch to a daytime class from new year. Felt very sick before I went to bed, but managed to not be. Still had my 3am insominia though. Maybe starting running will knock that on the head.

Right best get lunches made, teeth cleaned etc. I have found some strawberry kids toothpaste, which seems to be fine and stops me wretching when I brush my teeth. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    And yes. More big hugs for JT. Fingers crossed for blood count and hope everything else gets sorted soon X
  • Options

TB - yes, I think the reconditioned Garmins are guaranteed for 12 months from when you get them. Mine seems to be going OK so far, fingers crossed!

JT - good luck with the blood tests, and hope things right themselves before long (())

Lotte - you'll be fine, don't worry! I'm a bit like Caro in that I get anxious, especially when family members are flying (well, mainly Ben - my Mum and Dad never go anywhere!). Hope your hamstring is a bit better today.

Caro - good luck with the dentist. I should go really, as I've not been for about 18 months now (naughty naughty). I don't think there's anything wrong though, apart from the fact that my teeth could do with a clean to get rid of the black coffee stainsimage! Part of me is thinking I might wait until I'm pregnant again and then it's free!image

MM - mmm, strawberry toothpaste. Glad you've found something that doesn't make you retch.

CM - take care and hope you get chance to rest soon.

Right, must be off and do some work while I have the offiice to myself!

• Options

Yeah! 3.3 miles in 30 mins done. Very slow for me, but so good to get out and sun shining too! Yeah!

Just hope I don't pay for it later. Will try and manage 5 miles on sunday...

• Options
    Yay, well done MM! Sounds like my kind of pace too image. Hopefully it'll give you more energy now for today and ward off any sickness. I have my fingers firmly crossed!
  • Options

Camlo - allergies and asthma are so common I would never class your children as "unhealthy" - you've done a fab job!

caro - that is really sad and I can understand it, but I reckon over time she will change her mind, especially once those broody hormones set in again image.

MM - take it easy, sounds like you're still feeling a bit rough.  Remember your body is busy!

Well Sophie slept through last night for the first time in about a week, hooray.  And I don't know if it's that or the fact her tooth is coming through,  or both, but she seems generally more cheerful today.  She's still being a little monkey and deliberately doing things when I tell her not to, saying "no!" to herself, and demanding cuddles, but we haven't had nearly so many tantrums, touch wood...

Barnsley 10k on Sunday and I'm feeling particularly unfit, and it's quite hilly image.  Still, I'm going to take it as another "knee-tester" run and just see how I feel, not worry about the time too much.  However, I know that, as my last 10k I was just over an hour by 40 secs (I'm a true plodder!), I'll have half an eye on that and want to beat it!

TB - well done for having the vaccine, I'm sure it's the right thing to do.  How are you feeling?

• Options

Thanks JG - driving myself nuts now by reading all the nay -sayers on Mumsnet saying how potentially evil the vaccine is and how I will no doubt have damaged my unborn child image  Is the same with all these things though - was when we had to decide whether to give Z the MMR when he was just 8 months old because of contact with a measley child - although in my head I was sure all this talk of autism links and whatnot were unfounded, you just can' t help being swayed can you?  But then weighed up against the potential nastiness of measles......well, can you win?

Anyway, I'm feeling fine thankyou - my arm is a bit sore, but otherwise no problems.  

Good luck at the weekend - and remember, what goes up must come down image

Was going to go out for a run this afternoon, but 2 hours of soft play this morning, and now rain and greyness isn't really doing it for me, plus I have badminton in the morning so I don't want to over do it image

Z is still grumpy.  Think he has had some sort of bug - one of his chums did - he is totally off his food (apart from bananas), even refusing cake, biscuit, yoghurt, etc.  What can you do though?  Just keep offering it I suppose.  Have resorted to more TV than I would admit to - but when the whinging level gets to pain pitch and he doesn't want to play or read or anything it is my last resort!

Good work on the run MM - glad you are feeling a bit better - is good to get out there isn't it?

Cute pics Caro image

• Options
    ChynahChynah ✭✭✭

TB & MM - I have not been offered the vaccine yet (I'm 18 weeks) - don't know what I'll decide when I am though.  I have had my section agreed today though so just need to wait for a date now.

Nate took his first steps yesterday (only about 5 or so) but I don't think it's going to take him long to get going properly! 

• Options

M's 1st steps are definitely not far away - hubby said she took 2 at the wk end but I didn't see it so it doesn't count image

JT hope your results were ok.  If I decide to run a marathon then I may try the garmin schedule.  However the one I looked at had me running 6x a wk and the most I would run is 5.

I need a filling image  I've never had one so am very sad that my lovely teeth(!) are no longer so lovely.  and also I've never had an injection in my mouth and the thought doesn't fill me with glee!  Now the difficulty is trying to find a day when hubby can work from home to look after M and the dentist can fit me in.  I also made M an appt for a couple of wks time - that should be entertaining!

Am at work, supposed to be running later, so I hope I get away on time.

• Options
    Thanks JT - I am sure it is fine, but you know how it is!

I mentioned swine flu vaccine when I first went to tell the docs I was preg and she just made me an appointment there and then.

Z had total meltdown when I offered him his dinner although I did manage to persuade him to eat the remains of this mornings weetabix the usually guzzled butternut squash risotto was spat out and tears followed! We were in the bath at 530 because I was at a loss what else to do with him (wailing). We were out of the bath and dripping on the side 5 minutes later after our first poo in the bath incident!!! Great. Still, he is a bit more cheerful now so maybe that is part of the problem - he hasn't been for 3 days! Still not eating tho. This is normal right? Appetite leaving for a bit when they are ill? I keep offering things but am pushed away so I assume he just isn't hungry.

Anyone else have trouble cleaing their baby's teeth? Z likes the idea but just chews the brush over one side of his mouth and won't let me near to have a go. Any tips?
  • Options

We have poo in the bath so often - almost weekly - can't believe Z's only just had his 1st!!

Tooth brushing - we're not great at it.  I do pin her down with her screaming sometimes, and let her hold it and 'do it herself' as well, but it really is just sucking the toothpaste.

Hopefully his appetite will pick up tomorrow.

• Options

weekly!!  eek.  I will count myself lucky then image

Reassuring that we are not the only toothbrushing failures.  I did pin his arms tonight and the screaming meant at least that his mouth was open.   I usually try letting him do it himself and then try and help a bit too.  I even got him a little step so he can stand at the sink - that worked quite well till the novelty wore off!

He was knackered again tonight despite a 2.5 hour nap - went straight off when I put him down at 6:50pm - early , but I had had enough by then image  I am trying to be understanding of the waahhing - there must be something wrong - but it gets a bit wearing after a while and when I can' t move more than 2ft without him demanding to be picked up............. ahhhh, it will pass.

• Options
    Caro - I have quite a few fillings but I think it might have been my overzealous dentist when I was a teenager as my dentist now always says my teeth are fine and once in a blue moon she replaces an old metal filling with a nice shiny white one.

Tallbird, I guess if Z is still having liquids he should be okay, I'm rubbish at doing toothbrushing too, Martha only shows an interest if I'm doing mine so I just let her have one of our brushes then and sometimes try and give her a whizz with my electric one.

Janie -hope your bloods were okay... (())