Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

PP-What a shame your niece didn't go to morrisons, they've got 4 toffee crisps for £1..... With anything I think a discussion works better than screaming anyhow. If you look at some of the toddler feeding guides they actually suggest a few cubes of dark chocolate as a calorie boost (not sure I agree but it is energy packed)

Teeth- I brush and try not give anything after but if a bottle/ drink helps them settle you have to weigh up the benefits of sleep (massive) against the potential damage. Archie drinks a gallon of water through the night and I think having the heating on makes them thirsty too. 

Yve- hope you got a sweep and things get moving for you, I do love a good bit of news image

CM- Must admit I'd rather have a joint day than the whole to myself every other but if he's being crappy  then let the kids choose.......  So jealous of your singing, hope the choir recital goes well.

Saw the podiatrist today in gait clinic who said I have classic signs of PF and has given me lots of exercises to try. She also gave me insoles to correct my heel tilting inwards but after I felt knee pain within half an hour they were soon whipped back out!

Apparently no-one wants our club places for VLM so I could have a place after all...now do I actually want it????  Intense training, dark, cold mornings, wet, snow & ice, knee pain, hip pain, headaches...that will be a yes then..... 

• Options
    Co-op keep doing 4 packs of Mars etc for £1 - I did buy one recently and having not even opened it got up one morning to find only 1 left. Not impressed!

I am going to bed - was up loads last night, birthday day was lovely, but I am very tired now! Hope everyone is okay as I havn't really absorbed much from my skim!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Have to say you sound very chirpy and in control of everything, JT!  And posting on here at gone 10pm too - quit impressive!  Think I went for my first "run" 5 weeks after my C-section, but it was just a little joggette while I was out for the first walk on my own post-birth and I think the freedom went to my head a bit!  As it felt fine though I went for a "proper" run the following week.

I think you've all convinced me that the school nursery is the way to go.  Just undecided about doing preschool sessions until Christmas - I can't decide if it's worth it.  By the time he's even vaguely settled it will be time to take him out and start him at the nursery - although I do agree JT that if we do nothing between now and then he will find it really hard to go to full-time nursery come January as it will be such a big change.  I guess it's worth giving the preschool a go and seeing how we get on.

I'm actually quite glad I didn't apply to VLM this year.  I just know that mentally I'm not in the same place I was last year when I was really focused on the training and really looking forward to another marathon.  It was a tough winter to train through last year and I really needed to feel that level of motivation to get through some of those bitterly cold runs.  Just feel that my energies are focused elsewhere at the moment and I'm not sure how committed I'd be to marathon training.  It's quite nice to know that if there's a foot of snow on the ground I don't HAVE to get out there if I don't feel like it!  Saying that I quite enjoyed running in the snow - it was the freezing rain that was particularly unpleasant.  At least whee we lived before I had a huge choice of routes to spice things up a bit - here I have just about managed to find one route at each of the distances I regularly run (for "dark" runs anyway).

Wonder how Lotte's feeling?  Hope she is well geared up for Sunday!  Bloomin' chilly for camping though image

• Options

Yes thinking about it maybe thats the way to go Minks, as long as Kit will cope with it. We are pretty lucky here, the boys go to a private nursery one day a week and they are in the 3-4 yr olds class room. On weds they go the pre-school which is a general day with lots of mixed age kids, but I personally don't think its a bad thing as they have learnt how to look after the younger kids, help them wash their hands, painting etc, building jigsaws, its very sweet. When they start the village school they will have older kids mentoring them so its all a good lesson. Then on thursdays the pre-school does 'rising fives' session only, which the boys love. All days the boys do are school days, so hoping it will get them adjusted for September next year, but they are monsters on fridays as they are so tired. They have swimming on fridays, so another session of having to listen and concentrate, and then its meltdown!!

Go for it Camlo. I haven't decided what to do yet image...

Yes have been thinking of Lotte camping. Brrrr!!

Grrr, to help desks CM. We are having IT failure at home just now, both laptops and printer on the blink. Not good, as have so much else we need to buy and computer hardware isn't on the list!!

Good club run for me last night. Kept up with most of the chaps for half of the run, then tried to hang on for dear life. Wasn't very quick though, so thats maybe why I was able to keep up at the beginning, averaged just over 7's for the run.

Right need to find some lego wheels, hang out washing, clean everyone's teeth, dry my hair and get to swimming, so best off!!

• Options

When do they start at a school nursery then?  Would they go to a pre-school from about 3 then move onto the school nursery before starting school?  Sorry if I sound dim!

Happy birthday Aiden! image

I've just found an ELC kitchen second hand for £40, S's Christmas present methinks!

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

It does sound as though you have a good set-up where you are, MM.  Unfortunately I can't "mix and match" preschools/nurseries around here because of the times and days of sessions.  I think I will do a couple of sessions at the village hall preschool until Christmas just so that Kit gets used to being an that kind of environment, then hopefully the jump up to five sessions a week won't be so difficult.  I fully expect it to be very hard at first and for him to get very tired but I think CM is right and he will get more out of the nursery.  Especially as the village hall preschool is very unstructured and consists mostly of  free play.

He was very sweet yesterday, made me a butterfly and a flower at Mum's (card shapes with scrunched-up tissue paper stuck on to decorate).  He's apparently making a car and a fish for Daddy today!

I had planned to do an extra run a week on a Thursday lunchtime at work.  Needless to say that didn't happen yesterday image  I had a meeting in the morning then another one straight after lunch so it would have been a bit of a squeeze, but the main reason was that I didn't get myself organised and get my kit ready on Wednesday night and there's no way I had time Thursday morning.  Wasn't sure I could be bothered either - it's a faff lugging stuff to work, especially a towel and shower things.  No excuse really but that's what I mean about my motivation at the moment.  I know I'm just ticking over/coasting but seem to be perfectly happy doing that although I keep comparing it with what I was doing this time last year and getting annoyed with myself!

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

JG, I'm not sure if it varies in different places.  Where I live, preschools take children from 2-5, although in practice most only stay until they're 4 and then move to a school nursery.  Preschools generally run morning or afternoon sessions (sometimes both) with an optional "lunch club".  They are not day care nurseries and usually children are expected to be at least fairly well toilet-trained before they start.  School nurseries are almost like the class below Reception, and in my area at least they take children from the term in which they turn 4.  Sessions are every morning and the child has to attend full-time (i.e. every day) - there is not an option for part-time attendance. In both cases children over 3 receive government funding of 15 hours per week.

School nurseries are great in that children are already at the school they will attend full-time when they start "big school" so in theory they will already have made some friends who move up with them and as they know the environment and ethos of the school the transition should be easier.

I hope I've got this right!

• Options

Sounds about right to me Minks.

Not entirely sure why, but where we are they've recently increased the provided nursery hours to 17.5 hrs per week so when Issie starts at the school nursery in January she'll be going 4 half days and one full day every week. I'm hoping that the fact that she goes to a number of different groups during the week will mean she won't be too daunted by the nursery set up. Obviously the big difference is that she's always had hubby with her there and she's never really been left anywhere without one of us or a grandparent. Just hoping she doesn't kick off at nursery the same way she sometimes does at home when she doesn't get her own way image.

Not sure if this will be the same everywhere but where we are you need to get your school applications in now if your little ones were born between 1 September 2006 and 31 August 2007 as they will start school in September 2011, so if any of you have kids born then might be worth checking your local council to see if you need to do yours now too. Been meaning to do my application for Issie for weeks now but never quite get around to it so must do it soon and just get it out of the way. We should get into the school we want as Lily already goes there and we're pretty close to school, both of which moves us up the list and as it's a 4 class entry school (yes, that's 120 kids per year) there are plenty of places available.

Off for a mooch around the shops now and then some sushi lunch I think.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Options

No school nurseries here. The schools are all too small so the pre-school feeds into the two village schools instead, hence the 'rising fives' days and the specific classrooms at the private nursery. In the boys year at the village school there will be only 15 pupils, and thats what they call reception/year 1, as they keep some children down from this year. It varies considerably, but I think cities and bigger towns have proper school nurseries, whereas us in the sticks have pre-schools and small primary schools. I use all of their 15 hours and in fact pay for a couple of hours. From Jan Sophie is going to the private nursery too for one morning, so will reduce the boys down to a morning too. Seems a bit mad but no way am I going to collect S then going back 90 mins later to get the boys!!

Boys did really well at swimming today, Harry especially, will be so good for him to be better than J at something. He has much better body position in the water, and was floating really well today.

Waiting for a friend to come round with her girls for a cuppa, then we'll get out on bikes or scooters after they've gone.

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Yes, Karen - in our borough, applications open on 15 November.  I've already lined up visits at all three of the schools nearest to us so that we are ready to apply!  I'm not really sure what I should be looking for at these visits though - anyone who's been through the process already, are there certain things I should be looking out for or specific questions I should be asking?

One of the schools (the one Kit will probably go to) is literally at the end of our road.  The next closest one is probably 5-10 minutes' walk away - in our borough they are introducing 'straight line' distance measuring as a means of allocating places, so Kit should definitely get into the school at the end of our road, which is about a minute's walk away, if that.

MM, well done to Harry!  It must be hard when one twin is naturally 'better' than the other at most things.  Do you think he feels that he's in J's shadow?  Of course this can be true in the case of any siblings, not just twins, but is probably magnified in the case of twins as they're so close.  Can't believe there will only be 15 children in the boys' class at school - how lovely.  I wish that were the case with Kit's school!

• Options
    Sonya - just found out that Channel 4 were filming at the Royal Parks half last Sunday and the programme will be shown this Sunday morning at 7.30am so we might be on the telly! Hope they didn't catch me in the last few miles when I was singing out loud to my ipod music image ...
  • Options
    Very exciting (for me anyway!), Martha just did her first poo on the toilet! Taking the nappies away tomorrow and we will see how we get on! She has taken herself off for a wee most days this week so fingers crossed the time is right!
  • Options

Schools -Wow Karen that must be a big school - 4 classes each year!! No prob getting into school of choice by me, in fact I had 2 schools trying to get me to go to them to boost their numbers!I think it's part of the reason they have reduced school age to prevent smaller schools from closing. 

Will have to set sky plus for Sunday morning to watch out for you both.

MM- glad the swimming is going well, I have a friend with twins who are now 10yrs old and I'm ashamed to admit I still don't know them apart despite seeing them quite frequently...

• Options
    Yay well done Martha xx
  • Options

Goodness, sounds like all of you who had babies same time as me - July ish 2007 will have schoolkids this time next year - Lou doesn't go til Aug 2012 up here!  But I do get a contribution from the gov to my private nursery fees from age 3, representing 5 x 2.5 hours sessions a week.  Works out about £1500 a year so it's great!

Karen, fab about Martha.

Well had a hilarious incident today -bought markies dine in for a tenner thing today complete with bottle o vino. Am halfway across the main road at st andrew squ (ooh all of 50m from door of marks) when bag actually goes bang and wine slides out the bottom and smashes right in the middle of the road.  Cue wail from Claire.  So I start trying to pick up the huge bits of bottle and then this taxi actually aims for me as the lights have changed and so I picked up a broken bit of bottle and waved it in the air shrieking well it's your bloody tyres matey! 

I then scarpered to pavement.  Lovely lad then comes and helps me and picks up some of the other bits on the road.  Decided I was well peeved especially having just paid fivepence for the bag so marched back to marks and demanded another carrier and replacement bottle of wine.  Said to the lady maybe the good lord was telling me not to drink but as she pointed out, if he felt that way he wouldn't have changed water into wine and she handed me another bottle. 

Nearly cracked bottle open after that but settled for serious caffeine injection at the coffee house! 
  • Options
    Almost forgot, went for blood test today to check out progesterone levels.  Didn't get three bars this month on the old monitor thingummy so methinks something def going on!!
  • Options
    Oooo, footage of me looking sweaty and slightly manic Karen, will set sky plus. Won't be able to watch as we'll be on our way to Galway on Sunday morning! Yay, holiday! Just have to fit everything into two suitcases and remember to pack the car seat and we're ready to go...!

Scary talk about nursery/pre schools, all greek to me. Please have this conversation again in 3.5 years time image

EF- hope the blood tests show something. Also hope that bottle of vino is cracked open by now image
  • Options

EF - I had one of those monitors and didn't get three bars the month before I got pregnant so it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Good to go for tests anyway though if you can.

Kinsey - yay to the poo! image

Some of the schools around here have just been expanded and there is now one that has 120 intake.  The two that will be near our new house both have 90 intake which still feels big but apparently the one we are the catchment for was impossible to get into when it was 60 intake so hopefully should be a bit easier now.

Still waiting here - saw consultant and had a sweep which wasn't too bad but doesn't seem to have done anything. Am booked in for an induction on Monday although she said I was already 2cm dilated and that things looked favourable for things happening before then - nothing yet so am guessing I may well be induced again. 

Have had a very poorly little girl here today - very strange as she has had no temperature but she has been completely lethargic and listless and wasnt even able to sit up or support her own head until around 5.30 this evening. She seemed a bit better before bed - eventually sat up and then started walking again. She was holding her head continually while walking around though so we're not sure if there is a problem with her ear or her neck. Will see how she is tomorrow I guess. 

Going to see our new house tomorrow as the tenents have just moved out - then exchanging contracts on Monday, v exciting. 

Anyway, sorry that was a bit of a me post but need to go and have dinner now!

• Options

EF - you did make me chuckle with that wine story. I would have just sat on the kerb and sobbed!! image

Yve - hope bubba hurrys up soon, and that Keana feels better too.

Only managed to read back the last page. I am waiting for my older sister to arrive from Wales and we are going out into town for some dinner and a couple of glasses of wine. I hope she hurries, I am starving.

JT - my Mum used to work in the Hillingdon/Middlesex borough too! And then finished up in the Bucks region in Iver. Small world. Hope that you get some decent zzz tonight.

Well done Martha - hope everything goes well tomorrow with the nappies being taken away - make sure you have a big supply of pants!!

• Options

wow - yve. hope things move soon!

interesting hearing all these tales of schools.  i would also have preferred J to go to the nursery at the school he was attending but at the time it wasn't possible because of jobs and childcare.  now we have a nanny and J is also at that school (making wrap-around in the same place possible), hopefully E will go to the nursery in Mar 2012 (she will be 3 then).

i would say though that J didn't go to school nursery at all, and didn't know anyone in his reception class when he started in sept, and he has settled soooo well; loves school and is doing really well.  so just because it may be best to do nursery then school, doesn't mean that if you don't, it can't be a success. 

he is also one of, if not, the youngest in school year as July born. so when he started school he was 4+ not quite 2 months. but he is so happy there and coping really well with the 9-3.15 day. in fact - gunning for more.

they do cope - it is quite amazing really!

• Options

Hi all. Just popping in for a quick hello. We are having a fab holiday. A night in Aberdeen, two in Dundee and on our second night beside relations in Leicester. Supposed to be heading to Oxford tomorrow for our camping stint. Forecast is looking cold so not overly excited by the prospect of that. image Had a lovely day at Twycross Zoo today - kids loved it. But after we got 'home' here at teatime hubby began to feel ill and has spent the evening spewing image. I feel bad because all I can think of is that I am going to get this far only to go down with a bug the day before marathon. Fingers crossed. Have had a crap cough all week which is starting to get better now although I am still coughing up some gunk. I also have a sore big toe joint and the knee is not 100%! But I am going to hopefully give it my best shot on the day and hope I get lucky! Remind me not to do a marathon again wont you, It is too stressful and turns you into a hypercondriact!

Anyway better go and be sociable. My uncle had 7 kids (and was a paediatrician) and they have a huge house so it is the perfect place to stay. One of my cousins kids is here on a sleepover tonight too so it is a busy place.

Have good weekends all.x

• Options

EF- My Tom was born in March 2007 and starts school this January,  2 months before his 4th birthday! Told you they were desperate for numbers here... Glad you got your wine and hope the tests throw up some answers.

Yve- can you do some gentle bouncing on a space hopper?? 

Lotte- Tell hubby not to breathe on you, in fact I'd have banished him from being in the same room as me by now. When we had the lurgy last xmas (noro virus we think) my MIL made FIL wear gloves and a mask for weeks and stopped us visiting for about a month after the bug had cleared. 

• Options

Good luck Lotte! Tell hubby to stay away.image

Yve - hope things get moving soon, LOL at the spacehopper, Camlo! My SIL finally had her baby yesterday so I am an auntie again. image Jesse David was born at 6.54am weighing an eye-wateringly huge 11lbs and 0.5oz! Ouch. Not going to see them this wknd though because I am full of the lurg. Can't wait for half term now, when I will attempt to catch up properly with you all x

• Options
    Just got back from my run to find the 3 year old alone in our bedroom having smeared moisturiser all over the bedside table, en suite bathroom and herself!!! Why do they do these things ... and where was hubby when it was all happening image!?!?
  • Options
    11 lbs TB! Ouch!

Good luck Yve and hope K feels better, am sure you really don't want a poorly child when little one makes an appearance!

Good luck lotte! I would have also banished hubby to a different room!

Karen - hope it wasn't an expensive moisturiser and that she has super soft skin now image

Must stop faffing and start doing some packing...
  • Options

Hope you have a lovely holiday Sonya.

Lotte - really hope you manage to avoid hubby's lurgy, good luck for the race.

I made marbled chcolate brownies last night -  they're like brownies crossed with cheesecake. Yum, yum, yum. Will definitely have to do a long one tomorrow to burn off some of the choccy calories. Worth it thoughimage.

• Options
    11lbs - definitely ouch!

Karen - have got a recipe for layered brownie with cheesecake on top which looks nice - made cupcakes that were marbled with cheesecake too - they were pretty yummy!

Yve - thinking of you!

Lotte - hope you stay germ free - good luck!

Dithering about the 10k I have entered tomorrow - should really go and do it but might be having an attach of the CBA's.

Toilet training okay today apart from the fact that I have to get her to go to the toilet - she doesn't know that she needs to go. Will see how tomorrow goes as we only had one accident today, she had done so well though, we had been out to cafe and playground and walked home and then although I had asked she ended up doing a huge wee on the sofa. After that I sat her on the toilet and made her have a go every few hours and that stopped any further accidents.
    She didn't poo - caught her shutting herself in the dining room so popped her on the loo but she just did a couple of farts, I ended up making her try again before bed time but nothing happened. Ah well, will put her back in nappies maybe as I'm not 100% that she is actually ready - she is most of the way there but I don't want to stress her out about it.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you Lotte - keep well away from hubby and isn't it just typical that he has to go down with some vomiting bug now?!  Hope toe and knee hold up and gunk isn't too bad - all you can do is give it your best on the day.  If it doesn't go quite as planned as least you have an arsenal of excuses!

EF - have to say I was in stitches at your wine story.  If that had happened to me I guarantee there would have been no replacement bottle of wine though - I just never get that lucky!  Quite a witty comment from the lady in M&S though!

TattyB, good to hear from you too - we miss you here but know your work must be keeping you mega-busy.  Looking forward to a good catch-up in half term!

JT, we're in Broxbourne borough (Hertfordshire) - kids here start school in the September after their fourth birthday.  Kit will be 4.5 by the time he goes, so middle of his school year.

Kinsey, think  you're doing the right thing by going with Martha.  I have never felt that there's much to be gained by trying to get a child clean/dry who isn't 100% ready. 

Yve, really hoping the sweep works for you - feel for you being so overdue, especially with K being porly as well.  Hope she feels better tomorrow - sounds like it could be earache?

Kit had his first "proper" haircut (at a barber) this afternoon.  We tried taking him to a barber when he was two and he went ballistic, so hubby has been cutting his hair at home with clippers ever since.  Last time though, hubby accidentally put the clippers on the wrong setting and cut a really short section in the top of Kit's hair - so of course he ended up having to cut all his hair REALLY short.  So I said I wouldn't let him do it again and next time we would take him for a proper haircut.  He was really good - much better than I expected.  His short hair makes him look so grown up though image

Making progress on the house.  Electricians start work on Monday, moving sockets and switches.  Carpets have been ordered for the whole house, bedroom furniture arrives in a week and a half, fireplace should be being fitted in about three weeks.  Still dithering over sofas - have chosen the fabric, just can't quite decide on the style.  We have been taking full advantage of the 20-30% M&S have had off their furniture!  Also got 2 decorators coming on Monday and Tuesday to quote for painting and decorating the living room - just want it done before Christmas as we're having family to us this year, and I know if we do it ourseves it will take weeks!