Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    That's a very hilly race, Hazelnut! Well done for getting round given all your recent efforts. There must be a few good races out here as it's wall to wall mountains and I've seen a few serious runners out training. 

Just a couple more days in Montenegro and we're checking out the old town of Kotor today. I decided to do my own personal Parkrun this morning, so banged out 5km in 26 and a bit minutes along the prom. Very humid again, which means I find it harder to regulate my breathing, but I'm hoping I will feel the benefits when I get back to the cooler UK. I'm sure it's what all the top athletes do :)

The fisherman Nye and I watched last night was still in the same spot this morning and still catching. Skills. A second friendly good morning from an old dude emptying his bins and lots of the local stray cats foraging for scraps. There are lots of pomegranate trees here and Mrs Will has been enjoying the pomegranate wine. Overall, I'm feeling in quite good shape. A few aches in the shin areas but maybe that's heat/humidity/swelling?? Should fit in one more run before getting back for my Autumn Series of 4 x half marathons. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Really impressed with just how smart Cal and Hazel are approaching their running.
    16.5 on/offroad in bit under 2hrs07. Saw a whole bunch of, I think, young pheasants running about. Not sure. At first sight I thought they were those upright running ducks, but wrong feet. Followed a sign for a bridle path which lead to a dual carriageway. Doubled back. Apparently the old track though does continue on the other side of the four lanes. Warm and muggy. All went okay.
    The neighbour's cat has given our sofa worms.
  • Options
    Nice miles there, JT. Sound like pheasants to me. They tend to run about in a panic. Not the brightest of birds.

I got out for run number 10 of my Balkan Training Camp this morning.  The sun was impressive as it gradually lit up the mountain sides surrounding the bay. Just an easy 5km to loosen bits up a bit. A friendly good morning from my bin carrying out acquaintance and managed to beat the bread van to the only shop in the village. A host of stray cats were eyeing a beautifully glistening haul of anchovies that were being unloaded from a rickety little fishing boat. A lady was watering her flowers meticulously , ubiquitous fag drooping from her mouth.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    So poetic, Will! Glad you are enjoying your sojourn.

Time for a new sofa, JT?

A very enjoyable run today - 9 miles with 6 of them at MP. One of those miles was one big hill, so the challenge was to maintain the pace all the way up, which I did. (Now I'm wondering if I'm some kind of masochist to derive pleasure from this.)
    Only interesting sighting was a young fox, barely more than a cub and still fluffy.
  • Options
    Mmmh - time for a worm tablet JT?  I could get started on tales of my half-adopted stray cat but I won't as this isn't a cat forum...  Pheasants are quite tasty when tucked under a pastry lid by the way.   Those running ducks can be really fast. Ah and a nice off-roader by yourself.

I am also enjoying Will's hols for the descriptions.   Any chance of a pic?

That is good work if you could maintain your pace uphill Cal. 

Intervalls for me this morning - 5 x 1.2km off 3:30 recoveries.  Splits for the 1.2kms: 4:57, 5:09, 5:01, 5:12, 5:09.  Overcooked the first and a gradual fade during the session as I have to compare 1,3 and 5 (slightly downhill, with the breeze and sun behind me) and 2 and 4 (slightly uphill into the sun and the breeze).  Legs were happy enough - lungs were struggling to keep up.  Brief chat about the weather with the farmer whose water trough I was splashing in during recovery no. 4. 

Day off tomorrow and looking forward to a cooler weekend.
  • Options
    Hazelnut and Cal, you are really busting it at the moment - great stuff!

And here is the little bay we're in for one final night - Perast.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Evening everyone, I'm still taking things cautiously and slowly building up the miles and so far it's all been good. Had a bit of a hiccup today though as I tried to increase my mileage to half marathon distance and although I managed it I had to drop my pace quite a bit from about mile nine onwards and I think I can safely say it was my toughest training run of the year so far, nevertheless I achieved what I set out do to. The disappointment is that a week ago I did 11.5 miles without too much difficulty so today was a bit of a reality check. In retrospect though my very low calorie intake over the last three days is probably why iy was a struggle, I'm gladly making u for that now though!
  • Options
    Absolutely beautiful, Will.
    Good to hear from you, Matt. That does sound like you bonked - more carbs perhaps?
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hello PMatt. I'm glad you're continuing to find your way back.
    I want to be on holiday.
    13.2 miles in bit over 1hr40. Difficult conditions for me but turned out alright. Humidity easily kills me. Not hot but warm moist thick air and a heavy breeze which faced me no matter which way I turned. Like running through a thin soup. Conditions did change halfway which helped.
    I think the cat gave the sofa flea larvae. And something has bitten my leg. Have vacuumed the hell out of it (the sofa) and dewormed and deflead the neighbour's filthy cat, who as I type this has run into the room and sat on me. Crap cat.
  • Options
    Careful, JT...it'll be your cat soon.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I think the cat sees it as we are all his.
  • Options
    Cats will do that. Can you speak to the neighbours about rehoming the cat? Even if you don't want him yourself he shouldn't be with people who don't look after him properly.

Felt a bit rubbish yesterday and as the weather was set to be nicer today, I went today instead. Cool and bright - so much nicer for running in. Did 8 easy miles. I'm still not 100% - I think I may be fighting a slight cold or something, or maybe a little run down and tired. Not surprising given my recent mileage. Next week will be a big cut back anyway as I have Maidenhead half that weekend.
  • Options
    A run in three parts today. I opted to do Brockwell parkrun as, despite using it a fair bit for my long runs, I'd never done the parkrun there. Since the easiest way to get there is to run, I logged three miles there and three miles home again, with the parkrun in between (I did have breaks between them - I got there 20 minutes early as I wasn't sure how long it would take, then had to get scanned and whatnot and also chatted to a lady from Leeds who finished just behind me before heading back home).

The parkrun itself was great, which was partly down to perfect conditions - 12-13 degrees and bright sunshine. But I also found it a fun course. It's hard park to slog around but the hills go by a lot quicker when you're running at 5K pace, and as the downhills aren't too steep you can make up time there. I finished in 25:46, with splits of 8:25/8:22/8:06, which was good enough for 1st VW50. Very happy with that as I expected to be over 26 minutes for this one.
  • Options
    Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Great position and time on a bumpy course, Cal! The cooler weather is such a relief. I've definitely had enough heat for one year.

Parkrun for me too today - the flatter one in Norwich at Eaton Park. My Dad was aiming for a PB and I've done lots of 5Kish runs in the last couple of weeks, so I decided to give it a push too. I hit about 7:45 a mile once I got going and found that OK until the end of mile 2, when I lost my puff a bit. A little section with the foot slightly off the pedal and I regained some momentum for the final push. PB of 24:02 and closer still to getting 23 on the clock, so well happy with that. I then joined my Dad for the last 400m to help pace him home for a PB of 28:41. Happy days!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Well done to you and your dad! I'm still nowhere near that quick - I hope to get under 25 soon though!
  • Options
    Thanks for the holiday pics Will.  Very nice location!  And a good return to the UK with your parkrun today.  You will grab that sub 24 soon.

Good to see you Matt.  

Was worried for a moment you had vacuumed the hell out of the cat JT.  (some do like it apparently).  Nice HM by yourself.  Humidity is awful stuff.

Nice parkrunning Cal.  

For me 11.7 miles yesterday along a local river mostly on gentle trails to get in some flat running and a 3 mile recovery jog this afternoon.  Last pre-mara big long run tomorrow - will try to push to 22 miles but 20 would be ok as well.  Much cooler here as well.  Even managed a few goose pimples when setting off and it was nice to finish a couple of runs without sweat dripping off my chin. 
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hello. 8.9miles yesterday evening in 1hr05. Wore longsleeves. In vivobarefoot shoes and later on had a very dark wee. Has happened before. Apparently this is a thing to do with banging your feet and passing dead blood cells out of your system. Soldiers get it.
    9.1miles tonight in 1hr08. Longsleeves and baselayer. Felt rubbish all day not helped by a big bag of pork scratchings. Arduous first few miles with acid reflux but eventually settled. Had to dodge around some race going galavants.
    Now gone past 1,500miles for the year.
    Neighbour's cat is squished up next to me again. Given he spends most of his time in our yard or house, he gets fed here several times daily, and I've just spent £60 on an outdoor cat house to keep him sheltered when the weather turns he's doing okay.
  • Options
    My post-long run pee is usually quite frightening, JT, but then I do eat beetroot. I did some beet shots before Liverpool in May and it was like chianti afterwards.
    I do love me some pork scratchings but definitely wouldn't be able to eat them before a run. I've discovered that I can only handle pure carbs prior to running - any fats or protein and it will sit in my gullet and burn.

Talking of digestion, I did 20 today - would have liked to do a couple more but had some issues in that department. That aside, had a nice run. The ginger missile came trotting over to me on Tooting Common and mewed at me, and much as I would have loved to stop and pet him (or her), I stop for no one on a run. Not even cute kitties.
    I then headed over to Brockwell using the meandering route I normally take (rather than the direct route I ran yesterday to reach the parkrun) but rather than lap the park, I did two thirds of it then headed out towards Dulwich. I've not been there in years but I went to Infants and then Junior school in Dulwich village, and rather comfortingly, nothing has really changed beyond ownership of a few shops, and the ominous gothic church that burned down in the 90s has been replaced with a modern one.
    My main reason for going there was to see if I could run to Dulwich parkrun, since it's an arse to get to on public transport (I'd have to change trains three times, going no more than a stop or two each time before changing, so it'd take an hour even though it's a relatively short distance). Dulwich park is still rather nice. Saw a cyclist with a Jody Cundy-style prosthetic leg (he didn't have Jody's quads, though, so definitely wasn't him).
    Headed back from there to Camberwell via some back streets I remember from childhood, down Camberwell Grove where my best friend used to live (rather disappointed to see her house is no longer pink, but a rather boring rust colour. Its neighbour is still pink, though). Then up Denmark Hill, which is a bit of a climb, back into Brockwell Park to complete the lap, and home from there. 3:25:22 and legs were still fine when I finished (but I needed to take care of, ahem, business, so...yeah).

56 miles for the week - a new record. Next week will be half that, as I'm gunning for a PB at Maidenhead. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    Pork scratchings - yumm!  Haven't had any for years.. 

That is a great 20 miler you did Cal.   Good to cut back next week for your half.

And great annual mileage from you JT. 

Cal was finished with her 20 miler before I even set out.  The cat wanted breakfast at 6:15 and having seen the thick fog outside I headed back to bed for a couple of hours.  I didn't want to do such a long distance without a decent breakfast and by the time I had eaten and digested that it was well past midday.   Good conditions by then though - sunny but a cool refreshing wind (wore a t-shirt rather than a vest top) and very good visibility.   22 miles in 3:16:47 finishing on tired but not exhausted legs.  Tried to vary the pace a bit, either doing mara pace + 20 % ish or mara pace + 10 % ish in 5km blocks but looking at my track it was all a bit haphazard.  Lots of cyclists out and a couple of other runners - all friendly.   Was glad to have carried a lightweight rucksack with water and some spare clothing for waiting for the train home.  Also some money for a couple of immediate post-run snacks - the smoothie was probably ok - there must have been some vitamins in there somewhere but I'm not so sure about the 1/4 tube of pringles.  Ooops.
  • Options
    Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think Pringles, in any size tube, are totally acceptable after a quick 22 miles, Hazelnut -  great running.

20 for Cal, too - makes me nervous and excited in fairly equal measures for my marathon training, that I plan to start in November. Got to get my commitment head on.

Huge miles total, JT. I'm sure pork scratchings have their part to play in that. Do you go for the mass produced puffy affairs, or the hand-cut real pig skin version?

More big Parkrun stuff in our house yesterday.  My boy, Nye, smashed his PB by 11 seconds and my daughter, Awen, just 4, finished her first ever Junior Parkrun. Very proud Dad and she was really chuffed with herself, proceeding to eat non-stop for the rest of the day!

I was quite stiff and sore from Saturday's efforts, as was my Pa, so the 2km was a perfect recovery run. I was highly disciplined over my mum's homemade meringues and cream as I needed to put in a decent run last night. The rain came down and didn't stop - very welcome - and I put together a new route for 8.5 easy/sore miles. My night trails half marathon starts at 8pm on Friday and it struck me, during some of the less well-lit sections, that the trail I'm running (totally unlit) may be rather interesting under just a headtorch. Should be fun (if I can stay out of A and E). 

My usually stiff left calf has been replaced in the niggles department by some soreness in the inside right shin muscle area. I noticed it a bit on holiday. Hopefully plenty of stretching and rolling in the week will sort it out, although I bottled out of a rolling session and yesterday as the back of my thighs were too painful (wimp). I'm planning just one more short run before the race on Friday. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    Will, that's your post tib - get your thumbs in there and give it a good massage. Well done to the kiddos.
    Nice run from you, Hazel. Can't eat Pringles myself - they're not pure potato and contain gluten. I like Kettle Chips better anyway.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure pork scratchings have their part to play in that. Do you go for the mass produced puffy affairs, or the hand-cut real pig skin version?
    These were off the market so artisan scratchings from gnarled posh pigs. Good luck with the night trail run.
    Was feeling left out of the 20mile club so 21.1miles today in 2hrs45+. Covered most of the bike track by the A64 between York and Tadcaster going one way or the other. Saw a big desiccated fox carcass and a bunch of metal detectorists out in a field. Quite breezy with sprays of rain and almost cold. Went okay but long long runs are never easy. When I got back in my skin was saltier that a sailors tavern, and the neighbour's cat licked me. That wasn't pleasant.
  • Options
    I'd find it impossible to pass those up, JT. If I buy pork scratchings, it's the posh ones as the cheap/pub variety contain fillers and gluten, which will give me the shits. Not ideal.
    Well done on a speedy 21, JT. It takes me 50 minutes longer to cover that distance. I daresay the cat found you a good alternative to pork scratchings too.
    A grey and muggy 6 miles for me today. After two 50+ weeks I'm having a cut-back week as I have Maidenhead this weekend (I still can't believe they named a town after a hymen).
  • Options
    Great pace JT, I've only done 20 in sub 3 hours once! Enjoy Maidenhead Cal, I did it in 2015 and it's still my pb!

I almost bailed out of today's run having finished work at 12 and already done over 10,000 steps especially after last week's difficulties but I went out and had a really good one. Fourteen and a half miles at a pace twenty seconds better than last week's half (2h15m finish time today) and I was able to maintain a steady pace throughout without the need to slow down in the last few miles. It takes me over the 100 mile for the month for the first time since January 2016 too, but with a week that's been bookended by two LSRs it puts me on 40 miles in seven days so an easier week is required from now on. Also today marks the final effort from my lovely shoes which now have a massive 753 miles in them, new boots for my next run!
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good work PMatt. 8.1miles today in bit under 59mins. Tried chasing down a couple of runners ahead but they were going sub7m/m and didn't make much impact. Still, it got me shifting at a decent pace.
    Cal Jones said:
    I have Maidenhead this weekend (I still can't believe they named a town after a hymen).
    Long tradition of naming places after lady parts - Vulvagrad, Birmingeham and, erm, Cuntstaninople.
    Sorry.
  • Options
    The pringles were on a display next to the shop door Cal.  Might have been a better alternative further back but I needed something salty and soon.   

Well done to your kids Will.  Good luck for your trail HM on Friday.  Keep concentrating the whole way round.  

Great 21 miler JT.  Interesting play with the place names.

Good work by you too Matt.  Enjoy shoe shopping (if you haven't been already).

Gentle 6 mile recovery in 01:04:48 with my Tuesday group.  First time I have met up with them in that setting in a few weeks. Almost everybody has long-planned races (Medoc, Jungfrau, Berlin) in the next couple of weeks so plenty of chat.    

Got my Berlin number through per email today.  68453.  Seems very real now.   
  • Options
    No Pringles or scratchings for me this week. I've been very disciplined and feel ready for a good crack at the night trail half on Friday. Recurring thoughts about tree roots and rabbit holes don't scare me....that much.

3.5 mile shakeout tonight, with several 15-20 step stride things. Cut my toenails and checked my vaseline supplies. Bring it.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Options
    JT - not Scunthorpe? :lol: Incidentally, I had an Aunt who lived in Penistone...

Hazel, I'm a little envious of you doing Berlin (I didn't get in) but I have Richmond Running Festival to console me. The medal this year is very nice. Maybe I'll get to do Berlin next year.

Matt, I know little about Maidenhead actually, other than it's a two lapper and apparently quite fast. I did enter last year but had to withdraw due to the combo of that infected bug bite and my hip issue. Any tips? Well done on the mileage. I got over 700 miles out of my last pair of Nike Frees (my current pair have over 400 on them, but lately I've been using the Epics which have logged 310 miles since mid-June).

Will, remind me what race you're doing?

And another 6 for me today. I abstained from going out in yesterday's deluge, but today was perfect - fresh and sunny. I put on the magic Zoom Flys and did 6 with three miles at HMP. Some niggles in the lower limbs - they have had a battering these past weeks, though.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Will - fresh batteries in the head torch if not already dealt with?  And don't forget to take it with you.  I left mine hanging on my bike at the station for my night HM in June.  Wasn't a trail HM fortunately.   Have a good race tomorrow.  I like doing those side-steppy things as part of a warm up for speedwork or a race - are you also a bit one-sided?  I have to be careful not to get my feet in a knot.
    Cal - I was lucky to get in to Berlin first go.  Sound's like you did a bit of a dress rehearsal then today with the 3 @ HMP.  Same to you too re. Maidenhead.
    I was at the running shop yesterday in the hopes of picking up another pair of my current shoes which are starting to get a bit tired.  Unfortunately none in my size (a ridiculous UK 8.5) so I will have to look around for some (internet..).  Briefly tried this year's model of the Brooks Launch but I'm not sure as they feel quite a bit softer midfoot.  I also sent the lady scurrying back into the store with this year's model of my racing flats as they are bright pink - arrrrgggh!
    Intervalls for me yesterday - done at lunch as I have a French course on Wednesday evening.  Warmer and windier than I like for speedwork but got it done.  Set off with the attitude 5 x 600m can't be too difficult as I did 5 x 1200m last week.  Felt just as tough though.  Splits for the 600s: 2:29, 2:33, 2:34, 2:37, 2:34. Got my maths a bit wrong as I set up my watch by distances for the session and did similarly long recoveries - should have been 50 - 90% of the time for the 600s so 1:15 to 2:00.  Won't make that much of a difference.
    Rest day today, easy week for me mileage wise prior to my 10k on Sunday and starting to taper for Berlin.
  • Options
    Hazelnut, that reminds me of last year (think it was last year, anyway!) when I did some of those side skips before a parkrun, tripped over my own feet and fell on my arse with my legs over my head. I think some people were concerned but it was absolutely hilarious. I wasn't hurt, fortunately.
    Not really a fan of pink either, although I do own a pair of eye-searing bright pink and orange Frees. I ran Manchester in them last year, but they're retired now - I wear them if I'm volunteering at parkrun.
    I think I'm going to start buying dark coloured shoes in future. My Zoom Flys and Epics are both light blue/light turquoise and they're both filthy from running on the cinder trails on Tooting Common.