Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Agreed, JD and Hazelnut. I saw that Fleet got cancelled the morning before the race, and that is much smaller than Reading. Seeing how much bad press the Bath half marathon got for allowing the event to run, I now also cannot see the Reading half marathon to be held on its original date. Sucks a bit, but oh well, if it's postponed I'll settle for the new date - just hope I'll be able to change my prospective finishing time haha.

10 miles today along a rather sunny but muddy canal towpath. Temperature was just right, and it was a good chance to test out my new Aonijie running vest. It hasn't got as many large compartments as I'd like, but I won't complain for the price. Unfortunately, the water bottle I brought along for the ride leaked most of the fluid in the first 3 miles, so when I went to take a sip at 4 miles there were only a few final drops and the entirety of the left side of my body was soaking wet...great! Double points though, because the snacks I brought along too also got soaked so I couldn't eat them.

All in all, though, 10 miles in 1:29, averaging 8:49mm so very pleased with that, a new PB for the distance as well as for a 10k (54:27).
  • Options
    And just like that...Reading is postponed until further notice. Ahh well, we know it's for the best. Just got to keep training for whenever it is postponed to.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Well done on the performance Malteser, I suspect with that a 2hr half would have been on the cards. Lots of events being cancelled now, though.

Hopefully the injury is still improving JD, but take it easy. Fell running might be a stretch too far if you're carrying something, even if you're not going to race it.

Good 8 miles Cal. What's up with your back?

Nice 16 miler Hazelnut. I think solo running will be one of the few activities we will be able to do soon.

Well done Swittle, sound as though you're starting to build up again. 

Rant away LTT, can well appreciate how frustrating it is to get over one long term injury and then be hit by another. Hopefully it's not too serious and you get over it quickly.

Two runs over the weekend. PR at Lancing Green, another in the club's grand prix series. The first near km is on grass, which was rather sodden after recent rain, and then routes up onto the seafront path and becomes an out and back. Head wind on the way back, so tried to conserve my energy on the out part, although I'm still lacking pace and it's frustrating to have people I'd normally be up with, if not ahead of, moving away. Finished in 25:54, nearly 3 mins outside my PB for the course. But on the plus side it's the first time under 26 mins since I was able to run again. Cakes; a vegan date cake and chocolate and macadamia brownie. 

Sunday was a 10K along the seafront starting in Hove and heading west into the wind with the hope that we'd have a tail wind on the way back. Pushing the distance from last week and it wasn't an easy run in terms of flow or being free from back pain. I still feel as if I'm wading through treacle. Getting there, but it's a slow process at the moment. At least the egg and sausage sarnie afterwards was a reward of sorts  :)
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    In terms if Covid-19 been advised by work to not travel to the office now, so starting to work from home. We were due to go on holiday this coming Sunday, that looks as if it's been cancelled, although I'm trying to get confirmation of that. We did drop into Waitrose after the run yesterday to pick up a couple of bits I'd forgotten on Saturday. My conclusion is the country has gone mad. The car park was absolutely rammed at 10:30. The last time I'd seen it like that was just before Xmas.

And then to see people clearing shelves of tins, bread, toilet rolls, flour. There's no shortages yet, but there will be if people act selfishly and start to stockpile.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Very frustrating Malteser.

Just wondering when things like PR will start to be affected. They must be close to closing some of the bigger ones - couple down here attract over 500 runners each. But then that would potentially move the problem to some of the smaller ones.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    GD, I tweaked my SI joint getting out of my chair on Wednesday. Stupid. Both SI joints are a bit stiff and play up but this one really went off on me. Last time it did that was during yoga (which I no longer do) when I pushed a bit too hard in a pose. Fortuantely it's easing now. And I've managed to see the dentist and got my crown recemented, so I don't have to worry about being quarantined (if that ever happens) with a stumpy tooth. That would be bad.

I expect parkrun will be put on hold soon, maybe this week. My club's just cancelled all training sessions. It's going to be a bit of a rubbish time for all of us.
  • Options
    4 sore miles at 8 min pace, then ice. It was needed, but probably not the greatest idea.

It's my other halves 40th this weekend and I booked a stay at a nice Health Spa hotel in the New forest a while back (and both nights restaurant up front). Also a big surprise meal out with friends and family on the friday night (again, a while back) No idea what to do???. What would you guys do?  like you Cal, I'm worried about the economy. Things will get bumpy for a lot of people real fast if everyone stops spending..
    Not sure what to do..

The Folkstone 10 is still going ahead last time I checked. Thats agreat race Cal! April the 10th, but obviously a lot could change...
    Glad you got your tooth done.  I saw Parkrun on FB are talking with high end government bods, reasoning that it is hugely beneficial to communities morale. They will say tomorrow I guess.

Glad you can work from home guardog. Agreed , this situation will bring the best and worse from society.  Sucks about your holiday. Good Parkrun and glad your injury is improving.

You seem to be coming on leaps and bounds Malteser! Great running.

Glad your ankle is on the mend JD! I thought I broke my ankle 3 times (drunk/gardening/football) they are tough but damn! a bad swollen, bruised ankle hurts!) I wont give up running! I think my running aims/goals are due a shift this year maybe...I'm with you re: running JD. I will take off across the farmland in the small hours if need be, never met a soul on some of my routes ever.

Glad you got out Hazlenut, still smashing the milage!  No training is wasted training!  It was one of the most beautiful days I have seen here in the South east, spring is truly humbling  in its beauty.

Well in swittle on your half hour continuous! It sounds lovely where you are.  It makes me think a days beach fishing must be due..

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Morale is going to be a real problem with sport gone and place of leisure closed. The virus is bad, no doubt, but the mental health issues that result from all the restrictions, job lay offs, lost money and so on will be worse. I would not be surprised to see a peak in suicides. We just have to be there for each other as much as possible, even if it's by phone or online.

Linton, I would check with the spa and then consider what to do. I was going up to Manchester for the weekend (which would have been the marathon, but I was also spending it with three friends and we were going to go to the theatre and do some other stuff) but we've knocked that on the head now. A real shame but what can you do?

I got out and did 10 miles this morning. Beautiful spring day. As long as they don't force us to stay indoors, we have that at least.
  • Options
    5.5 mile tempo run. Felt good, foot getting much better hinting it was a sprain and nothing more longer term. Unfortunately all events in kent postponed as of today.

Nice run Cal! Good 10 miler. Undecided on Spa weekend.  I guess if we stay in the room and go for walks in the new forest thats pretty low risk.  Unsure about the friday though.

Yes everyone needs to be supportive now. I will post here but think I'm going to take a social media holiday and try and run/watch film/read book etc as its not a great place to be too much.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    So kind of MLRers here to add to my motivation to continue!  Today was the 27th and last session in the Restart Running programme I'd got from a Fetchie.  I've run-walked or run every other day apart from one gap of 2 days.  Going to stick at 30 mins and build up my stamina.

LTT: there are regular night fishing sessions 2 miles north up the coast at Burbo Bank.  tbh, it's remarkable that the Mersey is now clean enough to support marine life.  A 'dead' river 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Good words Cal.  I was also thinking about the number of people who won't exercice at all in the lock down period and would need to to keep up some sort of mobility.  Nice 10 miler.

Difficult to say regarding the spa LTT.  Good idea on the social media (but please drop in here).  I need to stop reading the virus live ticker or ration myself to a couple of times a day - hopefully that will help to dampen down my feelings of panic about being locked in my house soon as I won't read the speculation about it.  Have enough work to do anyway.

Good plan Swittle. 

My Tuesday evening group is off for the foreseeable future - we aren't a club and a just a small number of people but it is probably for the best at the moment.    That was an important part of getting out and about amongst people.  I hope it will restart in the future, we were struggling with numbers as it was.

Instead I trotted around 6 miles over the local fields on a beautiful spring afternoon - eerily quiet but maybe I am over sensitive at the moment.  Government officials currently say to stay at home unless you need to go out but also that it is ok to go out to exercice as long as you don't do it in groups and busy settings.  People you have close contact to anyway is fine.  So unless it is officially banned I will continue.   Being in a rural setting I meet few people anyway.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    swittle, that's wonderful - I remember that the Thames was a dead river for a long while but seems to have recovered now.

Hazelnut - similar guidelines here. I do pass a lot more people in town but try to give them a wide berth. Still, the streets are quieter during the early morning when I run - definitely fewer people going to work.
    9 miles for me today with three at LT pace (or near enough - first a bit slow, middle just right, last a bit fast). Just trying to keep in condition so I'm ready to crack on with P&D once marathon training resumes in earnest.
    Grey day here but very mild.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

With the closure of some gyms I've seen lots of new articles about exercising from home and the like.My wife said if we have to self isolate,I can start decorating the house,my worst nightmare.

Linton,bit of a dilemma that,the local hotels and B&B business by me have reported a massive drop in bookings and lots of cancellations.Good news about your ankle.

Cal,I think that would be our worst nightmare if they forced us to stay in,strange times we're living in.

No way was I going to step into the gym,so the last couple of nights I've been exercising at home and I'm going to try and get out for a run this evening.

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Managed to get out for a run after work last night,ankle still a bit stiff but generally ok.So it was an easy 4.55 miles,the only person I came across was a farmer on his quad.Really nice to get out and clear the mind and get some fresh air.Heard a few tawny owls hooting away.
  • Options
    Good idea to keep up a bit of speedwork Cal - should do that myself. 

Swap you the decorating with doing tax returns JD?  I can procrastinate on that very easily. Dread to think what the taxes and health insurance premiums will be next year (at the latest?).  But at least I still have a job.

Good your ankle let you run JD. 

7.7 miles for me yesterday evening.  It is very nice weather here and rather than gather in obvious public places where they risk being broken up it seems groups are heading for the BBQ spots in the woods - why just can't people cut down their social interaction for a couple of weeks?  Seems they would prefer a complete lockdown.  I also got attacked by a dog belonging to one of such a group - it was fortunately wearing a muzzle or I would have been badly hurt probably.  Was enough to leave bruises on my arm nonetheless.   Not nice.  Should have kicked it (and the owner) in the goolies. 

Right - out for a run in a few minutes - need one after a tough day's work (wfh as always).
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Oh, I do like to run beside the seaside!  No-one within 50 yards of me is evidence of fewer people - and dogs - going out.  Looks like you found a similar situation, JD1.

Down to the radar station, along the Freeport's boundary and along the length of Crosby coastal park: 33 minutes, 10% further than my last longest run!

Poor show on your dog interaction, Hazel.  I ran past three very stocky mastiff-type dogs on the beach, 2 on leads.  The largest one trotted over, and rolled his ball to me.
  • Options
    LintonTravelTavernLintonTravelTavern ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    3.5 mile farm loop.  Saw a farmer on a tractor and a gardener tending to a huge country pile, nobody else.

Going to do shorter distance runs, but try and do a hard effort 3-6 miles seven days a week.  My ankle has healed remarkably.

Cancelled my other halves surprise party at a local restaurant and the Spa weekend, so I'm a bit deflated today. (77 cases in Hampshire v 21 in Kent).  I've literally done all I can to do my bit. Wondering if London should be locked down now.

Well done Swittle! glad you had a nice run.

That's not great about the dog Hazlenut, I've had a few a couple of run ins with dogs, it does make me bloody angry and I like dogs! Glad you had a nice run anyway. Annoying about the people still meeting up, people really do need to take social distancing very seriously in the UK now.

Glad you're getting better JD. Agreed I will run every day if  I can.

Take care.

• Options
    Must have been the worst incident I have ever had with a dog swittle.  I grew up with plenty around in the family and have no issues with them and can normally calm any agressive situation.  The Doberman also belonging to the group initially came bounding up to have a look but a simple reduction in pace or stop and a friendly to stern word almost always works.  Enjoy that beach! 

Hard effort every day LTT?  Once or twice a week is enough I would say.   I think a lot of people are doing their bit but a minority don't think it applies to them and this will force a lockdown for all.

My planned run yesterday evening turned into an hour's cycle with OH - just as good at the moment.  Air quality is pretty bad at the moment - we could do with some rain to settle the dust.  Maybe tomorrow.  Saw some primroses in the wood.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's awful, Hazelnut - if he was muzzled he obviously has a history and the owner should have been more vigiliant.

Linton, sorry to hear that. We're all losing a lot with this virus, some more than others.

Nice run, swittle. Sounds like your dogs were a bit friendlier.

7 miles for me today.
    And I did something stupid. Couldn't find oats in the shops (which I eat every day) so I ordered a 20kg bag online. They turned out to be horse oats - unhulled so unsuitable for consumption. What the hell am I going to do with a 20kg sack of horse oats?
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Sorry Cal,but I had a really good laugh at the horse oats.Is there a local riding school who could have them?Or you could use them as weights for home exercise!

Bad show on the dog owners Hazelnut,needs to be on a lead if they can't control it.My dog might trip me up or whack me on the ankle with a log but she's good off the lead and will return to me on my command.

Nice run Swittle,building up your distance nicely .

Sorry to hear your planned weekend Linton. My friend's B&B and yurt business has just plummeted off a cliff,gutted for him.

Same run as the other night but faster,ankle felt stronger,so I'll try and do a longer run tomorrow.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've just emailed the nearest riding school so I'll see if they respond.
    Glad the ankle is getting better.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning - weather is perfect for a fast parkrun and most of the mud is gone - typical!
  • Options
    Stayed at the in-laws last night so got to run somewhere new this morning!

8 miles from Palm Bay to Westbrook and back, then up to Botany Bay and back.

Bright and sunny but a strong, cold easterly.
    Ran past the Turner centre, which also had a "concrete man in the sea" sculpture out front. He was about to be covered by the angry sea.  Thought of swittle's ones.

Sorry about the oats Cal! I tried eat maize from the field at the bottom of my garden, before discovering it wasn't sweet corn but the type used to feed livestock. God it was awful. Nice run.

Glad you're still on the mend JD! 

Cycling sounds a nice change Hazlenut. You're right, a hard effort short run every day is a bad idea. I've dropped that idea.

Made sure to smile at all other runners today.

• Options
    Blistery 3.3 miles today in two loops by the River Severn. Path was still muddy from when the river flooded last month even if it was sunny and the river has since subsided back to it's usual levels.
  • Options
    Blistery 3.3 miles MM? Sounds painful. Or was it errm a bit windy?

'Fraid I also laughed at the oats Cal, sorry. Didn't you used to ride? Maybe exchange 1 kilo for one hour? But feed the oats afterwards, they make some horses a bit frisky.

Hope you had a nice long run without ankle issues today JD. Polly sounds like a good dog despite your joint mishaps every now and then.

Was that Margate LTT? Just looked up Turner centre and I guess you weren't in NZ.  Nice to have somewhere different to run.  Good idea to smile at the runners, not much to be cheery about at the moment somehow but a friendly expression from a passerby can certainly help.

Lost my mojo for big weekly miles at the moment, don't really see the point. Popped out for a short recovery post thunderstorm yesterday evening and met no-one unsurprisingly.  Did blast a short local strava segment for fun and got a new PB on that.  This afternoon a local 10 miler with lots of upping and downing. Ignored all thoughts of speed and kept up a constant effort which saw me returning feeling I'd done something but could have done more.  Seemed to press the right buttons and flip the correct switches then.  Windy here now, the beast from the east has decided to turn up. Luke warm rather than cold though.

Will probably do a longer run tomorrow but not much over HM distance.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Increasing time of run by 10% per session, so up to 36:18 this afternoon.  In spite of a cool SE wind, dogs and hoomans aplenty by the coast and on the beach.  Because of its area, no problem in keeping properly clear.

A musical treat when I got in: long doco about The Moody Blues on Sky Arts!  :-)  Anyone remember 'Go Now'?  Or 'I'm Just A Singer In A Rock 'N' Roll Band'?
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Always nice running somewhere new Linton,great way to explore.

I thought the same Cal,it's starting to dry out nicely,would've been a great morning for a parkrun.

Nice run Hazelnut.We'll just to keep ourselves ticking over until we can start racing again.

Didn't have time for a long run,so just an easy 5 miles.Try and fit a longer run in tomorrow.

The amount of day trippers coming into Llangollen and just walking around aimlessly as there's nothing open hardly.Don't think it's sunk in yet that we're not supposed to be making unnecessary travel.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut - yes as a kid/teenager - it's been a long time! I won't have forgotten how to ride but my back will end up killing me as I'm so unused to sitting upright and unsupported by a chair back now.

Well done for getting out there, everyone. I hope we are still allowed to do so in the future, though some people are being idiots. Loads of people hanging around the cafe on Tooting Common, bloody idiots.

One of my Facebook groups is hosting a weekly virtual race (no prizes/medals, just run and post evidence). I decided on a half marathon (options were 5K/10K/HM or marathon) and while I wasn't going to race it, I decided I would push and try to hit MP for at least some of it.
    It was a cool, crisp day so great conditions and I was out early so it was easy enough to avoid the few people I saw about. I actually got to MP (give or take a few seconds either way) for the last 5 miles so happy with that - my time was 2:02:34 which was actually my PB from Ealing half back in 2015, my first serious year of racing.
    Interestingly, my cadence averaged 182, which is optimal, while my stride was a little down on what I'd do in a race. I was wearing my Epics so I'm starting to wonder if Zoom Flys and Vaporflys really do give me a longer stride.
    Left glute/hammy were a bit achey so Epsom Salt bath when I got home.

• Options
    Hazel - blistery due to the high winds - thankfully my shoes are well worn so they don't give me blisters over a shorter distance.

Swittle - whilst I am not old enough to remember the Moody Blues, I do know of them from the song 'Forever Autumn' from the War of the Worlds Musical. One of my parent's favourite songs that one, even if I got nightmares from the musical as a 5 year old way into my teens (fun fact: I'm named after one of the characters in said musical).

I want to get out and run today but I'm in the sams boat as Hazel, I have lost all mojo for the longer runs. I got no sleep last night, and I start a new job tomorrow which involves travelling 2+ hours each way to Manchester and back to get a work laptop so I can work remotely, when the travel companies have announced they are cutting back on the number of train services running...this is going to be fun...
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A competitive session for you, Cal.  Virtual 'events' seem to be getting v popular; unfortunately, places popular with visitors are also getting overpopluar.

MalteseMalteser: the Moodies first LP was in 1965, so I'm showing my age.  Their 60s LPs showed a more reasoned, less spaced out approach to psychedelia in music imo.  

I believe it was a chance meeting between Jeff Lynne and Justin Hayward that produced 'Forever Autumn', so distinctively Moody-ish.