Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    OK, here goes, MalMal: it's called "...the greatest of these is love."  [Cor. 13:13]

Rumpled ticket grasped tight in hand, world wriggles uneasily in its seat,
    Debating if this film, already started, is truly one it has the strength to see
    Its billions peering, open mouthed, staring at inexorable march
    Of undetectable assassin, oblivious to its deadly, unseen progress.

Room, flat, home, work and open space - vulnerable, at risk and undefended
    Cobra borne fascination for the pronouncements of those COBR members
    Four slides meant to inform but leaving so much unsaid, rumour airborne,
    Civilised exchange of volleys of questions from media types fielded and returned

'Trust the science' and roll up the sticky carpet of fear and misinterpretation
    Quietly curse the unchecked flow of insistent data, fuelling fearful speculation
    As silent blows lay low a friend, a colleague, a lover, a beloved....
    Or some one, alone, not known, or talked with, or met - snatched away.

World shuffles, leaves its seat: the film brought little comfort, just despair...
    Yet even so, world casts about for hidden reservoirs of faith amongst its people
    That they may stir the fading embers to spark a blazing beacon of hope
    That love, caring, empathy and selflessness will help, to lift its darkness.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    V encouraging 5k and 10k markers there, MalMal - and productive small cat seeking too.

I watched the 'Round the World Race' catch-up ep., so wasn't out until 8.10pm.  A radiant, orange semi-circle burnt above the dunes, and people sat peacefully, there, clicking cameras.  By the prom wall, there were several groups of cyclists looking over the bay, and, Burbo Bank covered, at the old coastguards', a light yellow German Shepherd decided it'd like a closer look at me.  I heard a growl, stopped and accepted apologies from the owners, making a point of counting my four limbs!

Firm sand, damp in places helped my pacing and, skirting the boating lake, I returned to my start point, just in time to switch on my head torch to check the time.  4.6 miles in 50:09, and a sub-11:xx min/mile return.  52 miles in Apr. so far, passing March's 50.  Can you tell I'm pleased?  :-)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, everyone, particularly you, swittle.
    I've decided to rest again today. My shin feels a bit better but there's still some soreness in there if I press it. My calf is also tight and I'm not sure if the shin is sore because the calf is tight, or if the calf is tight because it's protecting the shin. Either way, with no race on the horizon, I'm going to be sensible for once in my life. Better to take a few days off now than a lot of days off later.
    Unfortunately my appetite is enormous at the moment - I ate a bag of mini eggs (rather than just a few) on Monday and two Magnums yesterday. I will not be buying any treats on my next shop.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Cal - very encouraging of you.  Treats, you say?  Dark chocolate Kit Kats are my 'treat' but are becoming something of a sweet norm!  Hope your shin decides to see sense.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Really good poem, swittle, very thought provoking. And well done on the 50+ miles in April. Still a few days to increase that further. Likewise I was an Ovett fan back in the day, partly the Sussex connection but also, like you, he seemed more the rebel to Coe's establishment image. He also seemed to genuinely enjoy his running. He seemed as pleased with his bronze in 1980 as he did his gold, whereas Coe's reaction was to put his silver in a drawer. He believe he still holds the record for one of the annual runs over the Downs that the club I belong to does each year.

Well done on the 2 PBs MM. Do you think you could do a sub 50 given the right course and conditions?

A rest is very wise, Cal. With the mileage you've been putting in it's not going to hurt to give yourself a bit of time back. And I'm still getting through Easter eggs here. There's a Dairy Milk one sitting over the other side of the room staring me down.

Short speed session today. I only had a limited amount of time between meetings so went to the local park and did 400m shuttles. Intervals were quite consistent, which was pleasing, and the back seems to be coping, tempting me to start pushing a bit more.
  • Options
    Very nice poem swittle.  Good progress on the mileage!

Sensible indeed Cal (both on the running and the snacking - hard though both may be!, odd bit of extra snacking won't hurt though). 

If you don't want that Easter egg GD then I know an address for it...

Remember watching that 1980 race, one of my earliest athletics memories.  Preferred Ovett and later Cram..

Good work MalMal.  Without Cardiac Hill sub 50 should be well within your grasp now.

6 and a bit miles for me also yesterday.  Also set off too fast and decided to punish myself for doing so by keeping the effort going rather than running off some frustration for a couple of miles and then calming down.  Bit cooler than of late but still no sign of rain.

Phone call earlier that shoes will finally be on their way tomorrow... Pheww..  Looking forward to the unboxing ceremony. 
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic poem Swittle,like GD said very thought provoking.Nice run as well,I'm sure you'll be well over 60 for April.

Malteser,well done on your PB,you'll soon sub 50.

Nice running GD. I think Ovett was everyone's favourite,along with Daley Thompson.My girls will look after your Easter egg!

Very sensible to rest up Cal,you've racked up some big mileage already.My two girls are eating me out of house and home,constantly stuffing their faces.

Nice punishment Hazelnut! I'm waiting for a new pair of Sacony to be delivered.

Just two easy 5 miles runs,had my first fly in my eye for this year yesterday evening.I'm off for a couple of weeks so I'm going to fit in a long mountain run,hopefully.

• Options
    MalteseMalteserMalteseMalteser ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    GD/Hazelnut - I think given the right conditions I could cetainly come close, if not do it. I ran down Cardiac Hill to begin with but it was fairly flat after that as it's along a canal towpath. 8:49mm up Cardiac Hill so was pretty pleased with that.

Went out for what was supposed to be a recovery 5 miles, which (due to my absolute lack of understanding of an easy/recovery pace) turned into a tempo 5 instead. Ran pretty hard but suffered from it, especially after yesterday's 6.2 mile PB. Did it with an average of 8:23mm so alright with that. Then went back out for a recovery 5km with the fiancée. Even so, my legs are now stiff and sore despite giving them a foam roller and massage stick treatment - tomorrow is definitely a rest day!

Up to 118 miles for the month and I think 196 miles for the year (doesn't count the 5km and 10km efforts I was doing in gyms on treadmills). Target of 500 miles is definitely achievable if this keeps going
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I always rooted for Ovett too - although I grew up in London (parents moved there when I was 18 months) I was born in Sussex.
    Daley was always awesome. He still is. I must confess to having a crush on Colin Jackson too. And Roger Black. I mean, damn, Roger's still hot. :D
    Nice one Malteser - I'm hoping I can still do 2020 miles this year but I need to be on 1000 by the end of June.

Yay I ran today. Everything felt a bit better so I took the new shoes  (Peg Turbos) out for a spin. My first impressions are that, even though they don't have a carbon fibre plate, they are a fast shoe and feel more like the Zoom Fly than like my Epics. I went out at 6.30am and usually my first mile in the Epics is 10:40 - 11:00 while I warm up (unless it's dark, when it's even slower) but it was 10:30 today. The next was 9:50 (this is usually quite a quick mile compared to the first and third on that route). I averaged 9:57 for the 6 miles even though I wasn't pushing it and after reviewing my Garmin stats, my stride in these shoes is longer than in the epics (cadence was the same).
    So at this point, I'm not sure if these will fill the long run gap after I've burned through my remaining pairs of Epics, but they are a nice shoe and I will add them to my rotation.
    Calf/shin seemed OK (there is a little tenderness along the shin if I press it, but it's the same on the right shin too. That might be down to the walks I've done this week as I was walking briskly).
    I was tempted to do my fast 5K as part of the run but decided not to push it after three days off and in a new pair of shoe. I'll leave that until tomorrow.
    I'm also going to take part in the 2.6 challenge - Herne Hill has challenged us to a virtual 2.6 mile relay so I think I'll do my 5K tomorrow and the 2.6 on Sunday to give me a day's gap between fast runs. I've done two fast runs in a day before (double parkruns on NYD, and the parkrun/10K combo I did last summer) but with my niggly bits I will be better off being a bit more cautious.

• Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a lot of interest in the Easter egg. Perhaps I should hold an auction.

Nice punishment run Hazelnut - do you feel as if you've learned your lesson or will you go out too fast next time? Cram was a great runner, it was a shame that injuries curtailed his career. He's turning into a decent commentator too.

Good couple of 5 milers JD, watch out for the flies though. And good luck with the mountain run, that sounds spectacular, if quite tough. Partner met Daley Thompson last year at a work lunch where he was the speaker. Her view was he's a bit up himself. He's one of my heroes, so as long as I don't meet him he'll remain that way.

Good effort to maintain that pace going up the hill, MM. How long is it? And that does sound as if you pushed it on the 5 miler. It is quite difficult to cut the pace down, especially if you're on your own or with someone who is also keen to push it. Going out with your fiancee may keep you more honest. Worth planning an attempt on a sub 50 10K. My attempt last year fell a fraction of a second short because I'd done a tough LSR 3 days before the race and just didn't have it in my legs for the last 1km. I'm convinced if I hadn't done the LSR I'd have comfortably gone inside it. The struggle now will be to find a race. I'm not sure I'll have the discipline to go out and try it on my own.

Another early morning start on the seafront. Again a gorgeous day, the breeze, such as it was, seemed to be coming from the east. Although when we turned round it still seemed to be in our face. The excitement at the start was that the police had blocked off a short section of the promenade, so a quick pirouette had us turning round looking for an alternative way round. That may explain the first mile being 9:16 as confusion reigned. 

The 5 miles we covered was at 8:38 average, exactly the same as we did on Tuesday, but probably would have been quicker without the issues at the start. I commented on the way back that we seem to be settling into a natural pace of about 8:40 without it feeling exactly tough. And due respect was paid to Steve Ovett again.
  • Options
    Cal oh yes - Roger, Colin and Daley fan as well..  Oh, and Derek Redmond too (because we went to the same secondary school, he left it before I started though).  Seems the new shoes suit you well.  Sounds like a good plan with the fast running.

That 500 mile target shouldn't trouble you too much MalMal the way you are going at the moment.  Better to have a low target and not get injured straining to achieve a too high one.

Tried to learn that lesson a couple of times GD, I am not good at slowing down if I have started too fast - unless I have too.  I generally suffer for it the next day.  Wonder what was happening on the promenade?  Solo 10k with a PB attempt sounds very tough indeed. 

Long mountain run sounds like my cup of tea JD.  Probably not up for it yet though.  Do have a couple of projects for in a few weeks time when I will hopefully feel ok to move out of my region (not forbidden here but it feels wrong to me to do it for purely recreational purposes so I don't) .  There is a low participation hill and track autumn marathon I have my eye on for several years - if it doesn't take place I will solo run the route at some point.

10.7 miles yesterday late afternoon in 1:42 taking in quite a few ups and downs (340m +/-) and trails.  Ran it purely by feel keeping the effort down as much as possible but had a good puff up the steeper inclines.  Wore the watch for logging purposes but ignored it otherwise.  Lots of roots on some of the trail sections requiring fancy footwork and concentration.  Enjoyed that.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Not sure what was going on, Hazlenut. I'm not sure what's more frustrating, spinning around looking for another route or not knowing why it was blocked with a police car sat there. Not that I'm nosey.

Mention of Derek Redmond takes me back to 1992 in Barcelona and his dad helping him to finish. I was away on holiday for part of those Olympics on Corfu and had no access to what was going on. Hadn't realised Lindford Christie had won the 100m until I got back.
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Malteser, you should easily achieve 500 for the year,you've been clocking up the mileage recently.

Good to see back out Cal.Good luck with your 5k tomorrow.

Great weather to be running along the seafront GD.Don't think I could go out and run a fast 10k by myself,maybe when I was younger it was easier.

Great trail run Hazelnut,seemed like a fun run.Years ago your runs were always to feel,some of my best PB's were to feel.

Out the house by 8 this morning,fantastic weather,just perfect for running.9.34 miles,including a mile loop round town.Came across plenty of rabbits and pheasants,and the smell of wild garlic was very strong along the canal.Avg 7.20 mm for 8 miles,and it felt nice and comfortable,good run overall.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Guarddog - thank you.  I rarely write poetry but sometimes resort to it when prose will not come.  I admire your resourcefulness in nailing your speed sesh.  Yes, easterly wind & backing off to a breeze today on Costa del Crosby.  Good pace.

Also, thanks to you, JD1.  Could your daughters go foraging for food?  ;-)  Pesky flies!

MalMal - you've speed to spare!  Good looking mileage count too.

Good news on recovering shins and speedy noo shoos, Cal.  May have said this before but lived in halls in Champion Hill in 70s uni days.  Had friends in Herne & Tulse Hills; when in a flat in the latter, I used to echo Gene Pitney, singing that I lived, @only 24 hours from Tulse Hill.'  Daft, I know!

Hazel - Noo shoos, Hazel - 'citin' :-) Can't beat bumpy off-road routes for building strength & stamina.

Me: round sunset on a warm, rather close evening.  Trail to the Freeport, slippy, sandy stuff to the prom, and firmer beach until a struggle thro' soft sand to make it to welcome downhill trail & back to base.  40 min., 3.7 miles, and exactly the same min/mile as last Tuesday's run.

• Options
    I think Derek R. became more famous for his breakdown in Barcelona than for his other achievements GD.  He spent a lot of time injured unfortunately.  Another race I loved watching was the 4 x 400 relay.

JD - Pheasant? Rabbit? Wild garlic?  Ingredients for a stew maybe.. (look elsewhere maybe if you are veggie.. sorry..)  That was a good pace for your 8 miles!

Agree on the hills leading to good things swittle.  I'm already noticing how much easier it is to cruise up inclines at a decent pace.  Somewhat difficult conditions for you underfoot - I find sand hard to run on in particular if the beach has any sort of camber  (rarely get the opportunity though). 

5 mile recovery yesterday evening on tired legs.  Started fairly slow (as I should have been on a recovery run) but unintentionally sped up a bit over the last mile.  Probably wanted to get out of the sun as it was uncomfortably warm.  Almost need to dust off the vests already. 

Shoes are definitely on route as I got a mail from the postal service yesterday.  I can track their progress to some extent - it is interesting the route parcels take sometimes - from the east all the way to the west and back to the middle of the country.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    GD, that Redmond race always makes me a bit misty-eyed.

JD/Hazelnut, sounds like a good game soup, doesn't it? Though I don't much like rabbit - it's a bit like eating sweaty socks.
    I'm waiting on some more running socks myself (and the bloody mouse traps which can't come soon enough!)

Good consistency, swittle.

I'd decided I was going to do my virtual 5K today (part of the club league I set up) but not the route. I considered running down to Battersea Park as it's very fast (flat and wide - I've had a number of 10K PBs there, including the current one) but it's three miles and in the end I couldn't be arsed, so I did a 2 mile warm-up and went back to my tried and trusted road triangle (or shark fin, actually). Wore my Zoom Flys rather than the Peg Turbos for the entirely shallow reason that they are orange and black and I was dressed in my orange and black Hampton Court T-shirt and lava leggings. I don't always go matchy matchy with the outfit but if the opportunity arises, I will.
    Warm-up was actually quite quick (sub-10 on the second mile) so I knew I still had plenty of spring in the legs and set off accordingly. Did the first mile in 7:56 so figured I might slow a bit, but second mile was also 7:56. Tried to keep pushing for the last one and that was 7:53 and carried on pushing for the last .1. Ended up with 24:35 which is faster than all but two of my parkruns and all my races (I actually did the same time on the track in December, which is flatter - the shark fin has a slight gradient). Very happy with that.
    I did another two miles to cool down. Left leg is a bit cross so I'll have to give it a good massage. I run this route clockwise so it's not down to that - more to that stiff SI joint and all the sitting I'm doing while being confined indoors.
    Anyway, this does bode well for the 2.6 challenge which I'll be doing Sunday. May or may not take a rest tomorrow - if I do run it'll be a slow recovery run.
  • Options
    Great work on the 5k Cal - like the way you were able to speed up the last mile and a bit.  Matchy matchy outfit - why not.  I try to make sure things don't clash too much but otherwise. 

Shoes just arrived - now wearing one blue and one errm fiery coral under my desk.    
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a really nice morning run JD. So much better when you're able to take in the wildlife and the scents as well. And an excellent pace as well.

Sunset runs are the fuel for the soul swittle. The joy of seeing the light changing. And running on sand is tough. I've only done it on holiday and genuinely feel I've benefited from it.

Derek Redmond had a lot of potential, Hazelnut, but as you say was undone by injuries. It was an era when we were rather blessed with 400m talent at that time and he was part of the World Championship gold medal winning team in 1991. Like you I love the relays. The 4 x4 00 builds up the drama to an intense level, although I still have a special love for the 4 x 100 being a sprinter in my youth.

Sounds like a really good 5K, Cal, and well done on the time. very consistent pacing.

Another quick session today due to meetings. Had a gap mid morning so got out and did a 4 mile fartlek. Can't say I found it particularly easy, the pacing I had on my watch was from last year when my speed and endurance were a lot better. But at least it felt good to get out in the sun and also to do some speed work.
  • Options
    JD - that's an awesome 8 mile pace! Good running! Lucky you got to see some wildlife too.

Cal - Excellent 5km effort! I don't usually worry too much about colour coordination, but then most of my running clothes/apparel involve blue somewhere and my Asics are also blue (sure I can hear Eiffel 65's 'Blue' playing in the background...) so I'm in dear need of diversifying my wardrobe.

Hazelnut - one blue and one fiery? Reminds me of the old Nike Mercurial football boots where one foot was one garish colour, and the other foot was an equally garish colour.

Rest day yesterday so decided to try and do speedwork today. 5 miles with a 1.5 mile warm up included, but running 90 seconds fast, 90 seconds slow. Managed the first interval alright, but I (of course) forgot the meaning of 'slow' and 'recovery' so could only manage 60 seconds thereafter. After the fourth interval I completely lost the plot, gave up, and just finished off the 5 mile botched attempt. Went out afterwards for a proper recovery 3 miles with my partner.
    125 miles for the month and over 202 miles for the year (not including the miles spent in the gym earlier this year). Stretch goal is 750 miles for the year, and stretch stretch goal is 1000 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I used to have a pair of Nikes (I don't even know what model) that were split down the middle like bowling shoes - half blue/black and half high vis yellow. This was over 10 years ago so I was quite surprised when I saw a guy wearing a pair at a parkrun in 2019. I did go and talk to him about them. They were very, very battered.
    Well done on your run, Malteser.
    Decided to rest today as I feel quite battered after the 5K and want to be fresh for the 2.6 challenge tomorrow.
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Don't worry too much about the speed session, MM. I'm sure you got something out of it and it will stand you in good stead. And that's an excellent monthly mileage. I need to work out what mine is, currently I seem to be doing 30 miles a week. 

Odd shoes Hazelnut? How does that feel? Or do you have another pair exactly like it  :D

Good idea to rest before the 'relay' tomorrow, Cal. I'm sure you'll smash it.

Out along the Adur this morning. We've been doing a 7 mile out and back, but decided today to extend it as an 80 min run, so we had another 10 mins to run beyond our normal turn point. Beautiful conditions, a bit chilly to start with and the wind feeling stronger on the more exposed parts, but actually that didn't matter as we got into a steady rhythm. I'd decided I wasn't going to push much under 9min/miles, so my partner got a 25 second gap over me before we linked up again and she pushed it on the way back, whereas I was happy to keep the pace steady and concentrate on my running form. Ultimately covered 9.1 miles in the 80 mins, and all felt very comfortable. It's the longest run in terms of distance and time on feet I've done since the beginning of Feb.

Also had my delivery of new running socks, a new pair of shorts and some running vests turn up. Socks are multiple colours, but I now have a pair of yellow ones that match my Nike runners. Shorts are blue, a departure as all my others are black, and on the vest front I have a blue one and an orange one. Trying to inject some colour in an otherwise drab period.
  • Options
    Ah, I was wearing one Mizuno and one Brooks shoe.  Certainly wouldn't run like that as they are quite different but for a first feel on my feet under my desk...

Don't find fartleks easy to do GD, like my running structured.  Great news regarding distance and time on feet. How is your back?  Like the idea of yellow socks.  Had a good multi-coloured assortment of t-shirts on the line earlier, mostly freebies.

Blue seems a good colour MalMal. I know its personal taste but I don't like permanently being stuffed into pink as a lady, in particular as my team vest is a decent red.  Recovery on intervals can be a very gentle jog or even a walk. If you can do both recoveries and the fast bits evenly throughout the workout you've got it right.

Good luck for tomorrow Cal.

Short hill rep session yesterday evening. Warm-up jog then 6 x work hard up a decent bit of tarmac with enough of a gradient to cause a certain amount of puffing. Gentle jog returns. Not sure of the distances but with a cool down I covered 7 miles in total. 

5 mile recovery this morning in the new Mizunos. Surprisingly soft ride but I got used to it quickly and enjoyed the feeling of a fresh pair of shoes. GPS hadd an issue at one point claiming I did a fast km but as it felt the same as all the rest I'll ignore it.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Glad you've reminded me, Hazel - need to look out for some new daps.  

Nothing virtual about that 5k time, Cal.  Matching kit adds to credibility, I think, tho' I don't practise it now!

Guarddog: I left it late last night: 8.30pm before I set off, and the clear, blue sky of the day had turned to high cloud and less usable light as a result.  Measurable improvements in pace & distance for you & your partner - well done!

MalMal - I used to enjoy an annual mileage target when I ran every day but there's a price to be paid: two runs a day on a few occasions were needed for me to hit 2004 miles one year - Dec. had 243 miles!  :-o

Since I gave up pavements in favour of any off road at all, my shoes get grubby very soon - and last night's 5.7 mile hour's run didn't help.  Fine up the trails over coastal park to Burbo, apart from shouts from some rough boys on bicycles.  Down the beach, very quiet, the Freeport dock lights brightening as the dusk took over, but my route through the gloopier sand was ill chosen and I splodged through, carrying twice the weight on my shoes on exit!

Back at my start point, my head torch picked out four figures pushing bicycles.  Not sure it was those loud lads but not a word was spoken as they passed me....
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    GD, I have a lot of obnoxiously loud running tights. I really enjoy wearing them. Quite funny as I spent a lot of my youthful years as a black-clad goth.
    Hazelnut, I don't mind a really bright pink but I loathe pastels. I definitely prefer red to pink, though. (My club vest is blue and white with a bit of green - nice enough).
    swittle, my shoes get dirty quite quickly too, so I don't buy light coloured shoes if I can help it. Although I run a lot on pavement, there are also plenty of dirt paths on the commons so they get mucky quickly.

Anyway, I did the 2.6 challenge today - 2 miles warm-up and then a further 4.5 miles (did the extra half so I could complete 9 miles total - I'd have done 4.4 but that last .1 was bugging me, heh). The 2.6 itself went really well. I went back to the shark fin which, incidentally, a good number of my clubmates are now using since I let them know about it, and went off like the clappers. Right knee was a bit sticky to begin with but eased up during the first lap, thank goodness (right knee has always been a bit funny but I don't usually feel it while running, more doing lunges and stuff like that. I've been doing a few yoga sessions at home so perhaps it's that. Or all the sitting). First mile went down in 7:51.3 which is pretty quick for me. Kept pushing and did another 7:51.3 - nice consistency - then pushed as hard as I could on the last .6 where my pace averaged 7:46. Final time - 20:27. A sub-20 would have been awesome but I'm not quite there yet. I put it through the WAVA calculator and it came out at over 70, so that's a good result for me - I've only managed over 70 at two parkruns (I was 69.93 for the 5K I did on Friday).
    I will say that it hurt, in terms of effort - I honestly don't think I could have gone any faster (at least, not on my own).
    Once I'd got my breath back I did my cool-down run and actually enjoyed it.

A rather paltry 22 miles this week but that's down to missing two days and not doing a long run today. I guess I needed a cut-back - the days off certainly seemed to help with my speed, at least.

• Options
    Hard work with the weighed down shoes swittle. Good the lads left you in peace the second time if it was them. Does the sand tend to wear your shoes out quickly? Thinking more of glue and stiching than the soles.

Another great result Cal. Good end to the cut-back week. Like your consistent fast results over short distances. I guess the mara training miles have given you a great base amongst other things.

Donned a slightly dodgy combination of colours involving blue (shoes and hat), brick red (t-shirt) and bright pink (bits of my socks) to jazz up the many flowering rape fields a bit. Shorts were black to calm things down a bit..

With my focus on hills this week I trotted my way around 16 miles of up and down in slightly under 2:32. Couple of standing breaks for water at farmyard / village troughs and at the level crossing not included.  Having only had a light breakfast and was glad of the gel and chewy bar I took with me, the latter consumed whilst waiting for the train. Bit more than 450m of ascent with some evil climbs. Starting to get my head around doing routes which don't primarily just go up and then back down once but involve several of both. Not always easy to switch from descent back to ascent mode when the legs are tired.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great run, Hazelnut. So water from troughs is clean?
  • Options
    Set out to do 11 miles today up and down the canal, but wanted a bit of variety so decided to run through some of the housing estates for the first 3 miles or so. All I'd do is shorten the canal route by the 3 miles, or so I thought...

Basically, I got the maths wrong, so ended up running 13.5 miles - a bit further than originally planned! Legs felt reasonably good through 10 miles. Was a lot quicker time though of 1:53:22 for the half marathon, which is about 5 minutes quicker than the last time I tried a half distance. Legs are complaining from not following the 10% rule so going to have to learn from that one.

Listened to a couple of podcasts on my way round, too - Science of Ultra, in which they were talking about Kipchoge's sub-2 hour attempt as well as beetroot juice an hour before/during exercise due to the nitrates not decreasing glycogen levels as without beetroot juice. Also listened to a podcast hosted by Tina Muir where one of the co-founders of Altra were on, discussing the history of the company and the 'zero drop' shoe - really cool to listen to!

Recovery day tomorrow, will likely either rest or do a slow 3 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've taken beet shots before a marathon - they taste foul (and I like beetroot) and turn your pee the colour of a good Chianti. But it's got to be worth it, right?
  • Options
    Always worth it, Cal!

An ex colleague of mine made beetroot brownies for Sports Relief last year. They were chocolate brownies made with beet juice and not water...tasted a lot better than it sounds! Not too strong on the beet flavour, was delicious!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've heard beetroot can be good in cakes. We eat carrot cake so why not? Beets are basically sweet, unless you pickle them in vinegar.
    I was considering a long run today but woke up a bit too late and then, once I got out, I realised two fast runs in three days had left my legs feeling quite trashed, despite only doing half my usual mileage last week. So I did 8 which seemed enough for today.
    Looks like being rainy for the rest of the week (but at least that'll keep people indoors).