Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    John, I do believe it prevents injury and allows you to run more but probably at a slower rate. Also for longer runs you can control your pace based on what your body can handle at that time... 

As for monitoring during a race, I've not yet. 10k I just ran to a planned finishing time so turned all my audio prompts off and managed by pace. For something like a HM though I think it could be helpful so you don't do the first 10k so fast and burn out...
  • Options
    Mara nerves are likely to set in at some point JB, haven't done one now for 3 years and more.  Another 3 and a half weeks to go yet but I do get restless with the reduction in training in the taper.  I like talking about running so I don't mind questions.  I wouldn't be keen on monitoring HR in a race, would rather go by feel. 

Glad you got your dog DH - looks cute!  Good 10k training run with the HR progression.  Do you have a proper monitor or a wrist one (careful with that if you do they can give pretty dodgy readings).

Better news on the back/side but less so on the hip/ham Cal. 

Gentle start to the week - 30 mins recovery on Monday and my standard group run yesterday evening (6.5 miles) at a nice sedate pace.  Both were breezy and yesterday wet on top - autumn seems to be setting in now.  Nice to listen to two people yesterday evening getting excited about their race on Saturday. A local 10 miler - I won't be running it as I will be away and it didn't really fit in with my plan.  Will be interesting to see who is the faster.  A waved event so they won't be starting together. 
  • Options
    He's a pretty good pup to be fair Hazel, toilet training seems to be done already which is the main. Other tasks, well he's stubborn ! 

I have a Garmin watch with the Garmin HRM strap so they (supposedly) are pretty accurate, used it for 10 months+ now and really happy with it. Got me here anyway...

Race HR would be a mistake. Physiologically I would just think I'm tired HR is too high. Better not to know...
  • Options
    Morning all and just catching up. Busier first part of the week and took the day off yesterday as it was my birthday.

Hamster - what dog did you go for in the end? And did you go down the rescue dog route? I did the heart rate zone training a few years ago and found it really useful in terms of not getting injured.

Hope the injury isn't a repeat of the problem you had earlier in the year, Cal. It is so easy to get a pull or a strain in the gym.

Sounds like the marathon training is going well, Hazelnut. Has the taper started now?

Some good times you're throwing in there, john, and fingers crossed the weather is better this weekend than it was last. We were lucky on the Saturday to manage to avoid the worst of it.

Saturday was the usual Parkrun at Hove Park. This was a celebration as one of our club members was running her 500th and so partner made cakes and we decided to run with her and provide a guard of honour as she crossed the line.

Sunday we did an easy 10K as part of a taper down before this Sunday's Brighton Half. Well I say easy. With the current fuel situation (Brighton seems to be virtually dry) we decided not to user up any petrol by driving to any of our usual routes and so set off from home. Which meant hills. I think the hilly element adversely affected my partner who after 3 miles started to struggle and soon after decided to walk, with me carrying on back to the house. Considering how well she did last week it was a surprise, but not worried as she'll pull out a performance on the day.

Personally I'm taking it easy this week. I'm doing sessions in the gym, but very wary about doing too much so have dropped the amount I've done in terms of weight so that I can concentrate on form.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    GD - best of luck with Brighton HM. Weather looks pretty damn good, considering how it could be at this time of year. Looking forward to hearing your race report.........

Hazel, 'mara nerves' are to be expected.....as long as they don't travel as far as your tummy. I guess you get to this stage where you can't make the outcome any better but have to guard against making it worse: 'Mara anxiety'.

No running for me yesterday but I did beast myself on the rower with 8 x 1 minute maximum efforts with a minute rest in-between. Funnily enough these intervals are just under 4 minute kms pace so pretty much mimic  my running pace for similar intervals.
  • Options
    GD he's a Beagle but we got a puppy. I searched the local homes, dogtrust and the link Cal gave to the Beagle rehomes but all of them were not recommended with young children

Best of luck at the HM at well...

Had a rather hilly 10k yesterday busted out in <54m which I was happy with. Legs feel pretty good this morning as well. What that does it take me over 1500km for the year, still a little shy of Cals 1000 miles though !
  • Options
    Good news you are getting on well with the pup DH.

Belated happy birthday GD - hope you had a lovely day yesterday.  Tapering more or less about to start - I am on holidays next week so will have reduced running opportunities anyway and then have two weeks prior to the big race day.  That is a lot of parkrunning for your clubmate - nice to celebrate like that.  Sorry that the petrol situation is still bad in your area.  Good luck for Sunday! 

I'm getting to the just want to get it over and done with stage now JB and you are spot on regarding not overdoing it.  Well done for the session on the rower.

Intervals yesterday - 5 x 600m(ish). Stayed local for these and reps 1,2,3 were done on a slight incline, 2 and 4 the other way around.  Certainly noticed that.   600m seem to be a good distance for giving the legs and lungs a decent blast without leaving you too tired afterwards.  About 8.5 miles altogether with a longer warm up and short cool-down.  More than a hint of autumn in the air - I had cold hands for the first time in months.  Still not many leaves on the ground yet in the woods though.  For the final rep of my speedwork I was treated to a pink and orange clouds (sunset) reflected in the puddles - wonder if it was a bit slow as I got distracted (good excuse!)
  • Options
    10k recovery yesterday afternoon.  Took advantage of OH needing a lift to collect the moped from after having had a service to head for flat territory.  Bit breezy though.  Legs felt a bit flat but went through the motions. 
  • Options
    my last run: 8x2min interval training. Heavy! (I usually do not much intervals).
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/90620900
  • Options
    The first of my two runs this weekend completed: Parkrun in 20.41. Another WAVA PB (81.87%). This will probably wreck my 10k tomorrow but condition were absolutely perfect and I simply couldn't resist the temptation. 
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Well, it didn't wreck today's 10k: 43.47 and a 2nd place in my category. Genuinely surprised with that time. Perfect conditions and a fast course helped. Funnily enough I still had a bit left at the finish and even managed a (sort of) sprint. I'm running better than I've ever run and I can't quite work out why.
  • Options
    Fantastic results all round John, congratulations ! We are often hard on ourselves for when running is hard or not achieving for no reason. Don't look for a reason why you are running well just enjoy it !

Busy weekend with my boys birthday so went out for an easy 16k which turned into a HM. First since the disaterous one last month and came in at 2h 3m which I was very happy with as didn't push apart from the final 3k which were all sub 5m/k...

Much like you feel good at the minute and enjoying not sticking so religiously to the HR model - some learning to be done here I think
  • Options
    DH you need to post a photo!
  • Options
    Hamster, many thanks for the kind words. Your somewhat impromptu HM can be 'banked' as good training miles. Encouraging to have something left at the end too. Well done.

I note your various family responsibilities and reflect on how much training time I have now that I'm retired and 'empty nest'. Not only do I wonder how you fit it all in, I wonder how I did too, back in the day. If you can keep the running going until you hit retirement age (which might be about 90 by the time you get there!) then you might be pleasantly surprised by how your form holds up.  
  • Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Here you go Cal has his own Instagram account now (wife!) 

https://www.instagram.com/brunothebeagle123/

You might be right on retirement age John ! I do wonder myself sometimes, my running has now started getting later in the evening which is going to become difficult now nights are coming in. I set aside Saturday early as a long run day with a friend...

I managed a nice 13k yesterday evening which finishes along the local river bank. It was a tad dark for that pretty sure I was close to falling in a few times - need a running light !
  • Options
    Hamster, funnily enough I've got my first autumn evening run this evening i.e. the first one in the dark. I'm a right wimp so don't fancy it and am sticking to a well lit prom. (I live in fear of a fall!)
    Wouldn't fancy falling into a river - but even that's better than being swept out into the English Channel! 

• Options
    How was your evening run John ?

Managed my first proper night run yesterday. Had a new route planned and half way the road was closed so ended up making it up and found some epically steep hills. Broken at the end...
  • Options
    Hamster, dark and insanely hilly - well done. 

My run (well-lit and insanely flat!) was interesting if only for one thing: the sheer number of runners doing the same thing. In the space of 1 hour I must have seen 5 separate organised groups of runners. I would never have anticipated this - although it was a perfect evening. Perhaps it's because the prom is probably the best lit part of town and has the smoothest surface. I managed 10k in just under 49 which should have felt a lot easier than it did.

Just back from a daytime visit - in glorious sunshine - to the  same stretch of seafront (saw about 5 runners). Did an intervals session - 1k at 4 mins/km pace and then 10 x 1 minute with 30 seconds rest. Probably a bit too hard a session to do on a Thursday with a Saturday Parkrun coming up.  

• Options
    Oh he's precious, DH.
    John, I hate it too. I am a bit short sighted, which is OK in daylight but affects me more when there's less light. I usually run on the main roads if I have to run in the dark...I find with the side streets, the street lights are angled onto the road but the pavements are still pretty dark and the shadows conceal a wealth of things to trip over.

I've not run since my Dartford Heath parkrun two weekends ago - the core/back injury I got in the gym has subsided but the hammy tendon/hip area has been really unhappy. I saw my physio a week ago and he said it was probable something had gone into spasm as a result of the lifting injury (or trying to run with it). He did some stuff and made me feel a bit better, and suggested I might want to try a run/walk. However, I wasn't quite so confident. I decided to power walk Clapham Common parkrun on the Saturday, which I did (sub-45 minutes, which is a decent clip for a walk) but I definitely felt a whole lot worse after it. 
    I kept up with walks and elliptical in the gym and gradually felt a bit less sore this week so I tried a tentative 2 mile test run today (I would have left it longer under other circumstances but as I'm supposed to be doing a race on Sunday, I thought I'd see if it might still be possible). 
    There is still discomfort there but I managed to run and was able to walk normally when I stopped (no limping) so, if it doesn't start hurting later today, I will try another little run tomorrow and decide then.
  • Options
    Cal, hope your test run went OK today. I remember once my back 'went' when I was lifting a kettlebell. I was so stupid I then went for a hilly run (to show it who was boss!) and was in spasm for a couple of days. Your post reminded of this. (Not that I'm implying that you were stupid!)

Lancing Beach Parkrun today. There was a deluge prior to it starting and quite a bit of standing water. Not a bad course, although my running partner and I both measured it as c.70-80 metres overlong.

Managed a 21.24/79.13%. 11th place across the line the the 2nd best AG. I was a tad disappointed so checked on all the other 19 Parkruns in West and East Sussex and saw my time was the best in the age cat.. This cheered me up considerably as I think this has only happened once before - but many of the courses are harder than the one I did. I think the really quick guys must have taken one look at the weather and opted to stay under their quilts.

• Options
    John, alas no. Aches worse later on and today. I'm not pain free walking yet so it was a vain hope, really. I will put off trying to run until walking is pain free.
  • Options
    Knee sore again after last 10km - scared
  • Options
  • Options
    Cal, sometimes you just have to play the sensible card...........not for me though as I tackled one of the steepest hills around today on a bit of a whim.

mils, I'm in the sore knee club too. 'beach run' implies you are near the coast (my A level Geography was not in vain!). Where?
  • Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Agree with Jon here Cal, better to heal properly that do something to make it much worse. It's highly infuriating having injuries like this though. Running almost daily has become a habit and it feels wrong to not do something...

Had an easy 16k on Sunday and really struggled with a quicker 8k yesterday, hoping it was just not recovering properly as that 8k was hard... Newport this Sunday so it's a quiet week on the running front which is just as well as the weather is horrid 

I've also just realised I will make 1000+ miles during my 10k on Sunday... That fell well :) 
  • Options
    Hamster: best of luck for Sunday! Advise that you don't stop and open a bottle of champagne at that point in the race when you pass 1000 miles for the year. Well done on that landmark. Have you regularly kept a record of annual mileage? If so, is this a big running year? (I've not a clue of mine.)
    No running for a few days. Parkrun on Saturday as per and I'm already looking at the expected wind.........anything stronger than around 15mph and I'll scale back expectations.
    Turned very cold down here on the costa.
  • Options
    ParmosParmos ✭✭✭
    last night 3.7 mile 38mins just nice and steady basically preparing my body for running again after such a long time out fitness wise it was sound not out of breath just a steady run might hit some intervals instead next week to mix it up.
  • Options
    Thread is very quite right now. Well done Parmos.

Local parkrun: 20.44, a few seconds outside my SB (surely I could have shaved them off somewhere??). Perfect conditions and lots of very good runners. My AG of 81.67% was only the 8th best in the field. 
  • Options
    How did you get on, DH?

It must be my fault, John - I've not been posting due to injury. The good news is it does seem to be easing a bit. I volunteered at Brockwell juniors again (third week in a row now...got to do something if I can't do a long run, eh?) yesterday and had the tail walker role. As with last week, the kid at the back decided they'd had enough after one lap so I ended up jogging a bit of the remaining lap as I had to tell the marshals to stand down. I didn't feel too bad so decided I would try a bit of jeffing today. I did 5K (so just over 3 miles) - 2 mins jog to 1 walk. Didn't feel too bad. I do have some soreness now but it's around the SI joint and not the hamstring.
    Tomorrow will be a rest/gym day but if all is well I can up the run intervals on Wednesday. I'm hopeful I can manage a slow parkrun on Saturday (just my local one, which I've not done for a couple of years).
  • Options
    That is good news Cal ! I suspect you can expect a little soreness in other areas as it compensates for the injury. Suspect some light work will bring it all back into place... 

Newport race went much better than expected and puts into comparison how poor that Bristol race had been, I just didn't realise how much until now. End up with an official time of 47.01 which put me in top 15% of finishers, or 46/146 in my age/sex category. Strava said 46.54, so I might just say I've managed a 46m 10k :wink: it's annoying I was really 2 seconds off that !!

Garmin itself had been saying I'd struggle to make 48m which had been my aim but a steady pace of 4.45-4.50 for the first 8k and then busted out a 4.30 & 4.15 final 2k. Felt really good overall, always within myself. Some slight drizzle but cool so pretty much perfect conditions...

Set a new 5k PB by a few seconds as well which I set a few months back in @ Cardiff 5k. Very interested to push myself again now and try get lower into the 22s maybe even 21s