Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Sub 46 in a race should be in the bag JB. 

We've been lucky so far on vet fees for fighting GD.  Well done for getting out to the group run even though you weren't feeling in the mood for it.  Nice sounding route.  I agree on milky coffees, coffee with milk and not the other way around please. 

Well done on your 5k PB DH! Glad the cramp has sorted itself out in the meantime.

Well done on your race yesterday Cal.  Good progress!  Better to be cautious down the hills than end on your face from catching a foot on a stone.

7 miles at a leisurely pace yesterday - surprisingly warm again so I took a route offering some shade but also quite a few undulations and longer stretches into the lively NE wind.  6 x strides towards the end.  I was tempted to dump them but actually got in a decent set.
  • Options
    Well done to our 2 recent racers, Cal and DH esp for the latter's PB.

GD, that Hove Hornets race sounds like a very challenging course. Consequently I've avoided it since it was introduced into the WSFRL calendar.

Hazel, how many weeks to go before your race?

Interval session today: 2k brisk (4.30 pace), 1 minute rest, 20 x 30 seconds sprints, 1K (4.36 pace).
    Same as last similar but without a rest after the sprints so a tad more intensive. 5k in all and 24.36 time taken.

• Options
    Nice work John.

Slow 6 mile plod yesterday, then Chalkwell Beach parkrun today (with my customary one mile warm-up). This is a lovely flat, fast, out and back, and very close to Chalkwell Station on the line out of Fenchurch Street. The course takes you almost down to Southend Pier before you turn around and go back up the prom.
    A very friendly parkrun - not just the runners but the locals (a huge number of dog walkers) all seem very welcoming. I actually met a cockerpoo called Honey I'd also patted at Wickford Memorial two weeks ago...I guess the two events aren't too far from each other but it's still quite a coincidence.
    There are also a number of hare statues painted in different designs and patterns along the prom, so I enjoyed spotting those.
    Unfortunately I wasn't in the kind of form to do the course justice - I think I still have a bit of the Wednesday race in my legs, and mentally I wasn't up for pushing myself into the pain zone (and, well, I have a 10K tomorrow, so there's that). So a pedestrian 27:14 - slower than last week, but at least it was quicker than Wickford and Dartford. Another parkrun logged...the next one will be my 80th different event.
  • Options
    Cal, sounds like a really nice course. I think you might have a canine stalker! I think a 5k followed by a 10k the next day is a bit of a challenge - I've done it one or two times and it wasn't a great success. Good luck for tomorrow.
    I did Bognor, which I'd recommend but it's probably too long on the train (Victoria). It really is a delightful park and the locals are very friendly. Not really PB territory though. However, although near the coast (right by Butlins!) it's shielded from the wind which makes a nice change.
    Anyway, 21.48 which was about right for me. 18th across the line (higher than my usual placing) and the 77.68% Age Grade gave me 3rd overall place in the field of 200 or so.
    Mrs JB crossed the 60% Age Grade threshold and won her category.
  • Options
    John, a couple of years ago I did the Pride 10K (which is always at 11am on a Saturday) so I squeezed in a parkrun beforehand. Did decent times at both. I'll be aiming to repeat the feat in two weeks...I don't suppose that'll go quite as well.  :D
    Well done to you and Mrs JB. I just looked at the journey - nearly two hours but just about doable. The standard ticket is over £30 but there are advance tickets cheaper so...it's not as crazy as all that. Still, it's a long way to go for a four lapper around a park.
  • Options
    Good set of intervals JB.  Race is on 31.10 - if it does take place.  Some large events are being cancelled again - large being more than 1000 participants.  Festivals and the like.  Hospital situation isn't great here at the moment.

Quite a heavy racing schedule this week Cal.  Wise not to push all 3.  Did you get a chance to paddle post parkrun today?  Good luck with the 10k tomorrow.

Nice parkrun tourism from you and Mrs JB as well JB.  Well done to Mrs JB on her improving AG threshold and the category win.  And another good time and excellent age grading for you too.

Night HM for me on Thursday - 5th lady of 68 and 1st F45 of 8 with a time of 1:38:43.  I think the course was a bit short but as it wasn't a PB attempt I'm not that bothered.  No prize this time unfornately.

Copy of the report from the daily training thread below.  Sorry for the length:

Bieler Lauftage HM

2021 saw a return of this event after 2020 was cancelled. A different date – September rather than May and a different location – still Biel, but away from the city centre. Normally the HM takes place on the same day as the 100k on the first part of that race's course, a big loop wandering off around the Swiss countryside. With ongoing Covid-19 restrictions the event was spread over 3 days with the 100k on a 5 x 20k loop Friday to Saturday and the HM and a shorter 8m run taking place on Thursday. Start and finish was at a big sports complex to the side of the city, the 20k course taking in a loop to the East and back on a mixture of minor roads, field tracks and the odd bit of tricky trail with a loop stuck on for the HM. Approximately 150m of ascent / descent, mostly in two nasty bumps and a few rolling bits on the final quarter.

With the start at 9:15pm and not being confident about public transport on the way back at past 11pm I opted to drive and found no issues with parking close by. I immediately got a chance to practice my language skills first being asked if I speak English (errm, yes) by an obvious particpant and then having a brief waffle in French with a lady interested in what was going on. (sorry about any grammatical errors). I thought I had got to the location in plenty of time but with the certficate checks, handing over baggage (didn't really need to) I didn't actually have much time to spare and only put in a brief warm-up – legs felt fine and didn't need a longer wake up anyway. As it was I lined up a bit early – the numerous speakers on the start/finish straight were very loud and I spent most of the wait with my fingers in my ears. I placed myself a bit far to the front – nobody seemed that keen to do so and got caught up in the initial charge following the American football guys off the line. 4:16/km – whoops.

Quite a few people overtook as I calmed down a bit for the next few km listening to my breathing which felt fine. I had noticed that two ladies had shot off from the start and disappeared up the road and did briefly think about trying to keep up with lady no. 3 who came past at some point, but decided against it though. She was happily chatting away at that speed and it was pretty obvious I wouldn't keep up.

First hill at around 5.5k – only about 25 m of ascent over one km but noticeable so I let the pace drop keeping in mind the distance left to go. Took a drink at the first aid station – the waiting volunteers called out their wares – WATER!! ISO(star)!! I caused a few laughs by calling back BEER! BEER!. Walked through to take on a few sips and got going again. I didn't bother with drinking at the next two water stations. Another lady passed at around 10k putting me down to 5th where I stayed for the rest of the race. Until the last 3k or so she was only ever about 20-50m up the road from me and I did think about starting an attack but she was stronger over the last few km finishing about a minute in front of me.

I kept working well until the second hill at just over 13k on which I lost a bit of time as my legs suddenly reported they were working a bit hard. I also didn't enjoy a series of short rollers. Now it was a case of ticking off each km to the finish. A sign next to the path announced 20k – just one and a bit to go, this seemed to take forever – I could hear and see the finish line from quite a way out but to make up the distance the route swung away and took in a few meanders across what might well be an overflow carpark – gravel surface with potholes – not nice on tired legs. I also had a couple of moving obstacles to negotiate – the tail runners of the 13k, this race had started 15mins after us. Those I was overtaking kindly let me me past though. Over the line in 1:38:43 chip time – possibly the course was a bit short with GPS measuring 21.05k.

Brief recovery – even drank some Cola which I normally hate, before setting off home. I must have been a bit tired as I shot off down the wrong motorway – I was able to rectify that at the next junction just a couple of miles down the road though. At home I made sure to wind down a bit but it still took me hours to get to sleep. A disadvantage of racing at that time of night.

The conditions were as good as perfect – maybe a bit warm but the wind had dropped down considerably by the time the race started – a good thing as the outbound leg would have got nasty otherwise.

Race organisation was good and the course well marked. I was pleased to see quite a few spectators out despite the time of day.

It was interesting to run a late race again – no hmm – I wouldn't mind going to bed soon feelings this year. Running in the dark means you can't see how far away you next goals are, often an advantage and are often running in a fairly small world represented by a small puddle of headtorch light. The trail bits were sometimes a bit tricky though as my night vision isn't the best.

No prizes for 5th lady or the category win. Finisher goodies - decent technical T-shirt and a pouch on a belt thingy which I could do with – hope it works well.

5 Km splits from the watch:

5: 22:42
    10: 23:30
    15: 24:10
    20: 23:38
    Finish: 4:53

• Options
    Runs since: a ploddy recovery 5.5 miles letting the legs decide the pace and they decided slow.  Must have done some good as I felt pretty well recovered for 6.3 miles in a bit over 53 mins this morning on a nice flat route.  I will see how recovered I am though on tomorrow's long run - will take that easy.
  • Options
    Brilliant race, Hazel - shame you didn't get a prize but the other goodies seem decent. I don't like running in the dark - I am mildly short sighted in daylight but it gets a lot worse the darker it gets. 
    I didn't go for a paddle - it was a pebble beach (and also not the sea...the Thames Estuary) but I enjoyed watching a few dogs splashing about despite a notice banning them from the beach. Also saw an egret.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hazel, great run captured in a lovely race report. Quite an adventure and a really good time. Clearly quite a high standard. You should be proud of that. Recovery sounding good.

Cal,I should have listened to my own advice about a 10k following a 5k! Tried this today and was on target pace for a decent 10k. However, I had nothing in the legs and conked out just after halfway. I hope yours is more successful.

I would think Bognor PR isn't worth that sort of journey, especially when you have so many more convenient ones to choose from. However, if you did do it you really could have a paddle in the English Channel: Bognor has a very decent beach only a 100 metres or so from the park. (We have some egrets - Little Egrets? - nearby. I'll never forget seeing a colony of Parakeets a bit further down the Essex coast, near Clacton, as long ago as 1974. I think they are quite common now.)

• Options
    Oh London is lousy with parakeets, John - they're more common than a lot of the native species now. Buggers wake me up quite often with their screeching but they are pretty.

Today's race was the postponed Winter Summer 10K. It was initially postponed from February 2020 due to one of the wind storms with a name (I forget which) and then again due to Covid, but finally they've managed to get it done. It's certainly the most expensive 10K I've done (over £40 at the time of entering, which I certainly couldn't afford now) but is well liked for its entertainment - people in polar bear costumes, snow blowers and so on. Of course they had to retheme it a bit so the polar bears and penguins got sunglasses, a few people were dressed as sharks and flamingos and there were some water sprinklers at one point...eh. Anyway, it's mostly a fun run but there were some more serious people in fast shoes pacing around the start area like caged tigers.
    What I found annoying was that, as someone in the second wave, I was asked to get there for 8:20, but once I'd arrived I found the race didn't even start until just after 9:30 so there was a lot of waiting around. I wouldn't call that Covid-friendly, exactly, although I did make  friends with a lady from Poole Runners and she was nice enough to wait for me at the finish.
    Start shambles aside, I had fun - it was nice running through the heart of London on closed roads (even if the buildings made a nonsense of my splits). The route goes from Trafalgar Square to the city and back so takes in Bank, St Pauls and Aldwych.
    I gave myself the modest target of sub-55 (I did a bit over 55 at Battersea a few weeks ago) and after a slowish opening mile (legs took a while to get moving after standing around for so long) I started to move a lot better.  I went past the 5K marker quicker than any of the parkruns I'd done recently, which was pleasing. As I said, not sure what my real splits were as they were a bit all over the place, but I started to find it tough after four miles. I guess I must have exceeded my lactate threshold as my legs felt a lot heavier and breathing was getting a bit harder but I kept telling myself to relax my shoulders and land on my forefoot so that my expensive shoes could do their job (I was wearing my old 4%...I still haven't dared wear the Alphas). 
    I knew the finish was on Whitehall but as went around the corner I realised the extent to which my GPS was out as the finish was a lot further away than my watch thought it should be. I figured my target was gone but kept pushing anyway and was delighted to come in at 54:23.
    So still a long way from where I was, but getting back there slowly. I guess the two half marathons I have lined up will give me a better idea. I still feel Manchester is too soon (just 5 weeks away), I just don't feel ready.
  • Options
    Ok - don't know as I would want to go for a paddle in the Thames Cal, though I can imagine it is cleaner these days than it used to be.  Sounds like you could do with a trip to Bognor then - would be nice to cool the legs in the sea after a good hard parkrun.  I remember lying awake in a hospital bed after a knee-op and listening to some parakeets a-screeching in the nearby park.  Was better than the lady snoring in the next bed.. (grrr!)

Good that 10k could finally take place - in particular considering the costs for the participants.  Like the mix of fast and fun.  At my half the only time things were a bit dodgy for covid was at the checkpoint for the certificate - queue and inside - hmmm.  Good to start not too hard (too easy then to die later on) and if your 5k split was faster than your recent parkruns you did well to hang on like you did. Try shoving your time into a race predictor to see what it suggests for a half and try for that in one of your races?  When are they?

Try running the 10k progressively JB? 

Long run yesterday went well - bit over 21 miles - I had planned for 20 but added a little bit on so as to be able to turn over a bridge and run the other side of the river rather than an out and back.  I otherwise ran part of Thursday's race route - not a bad choice as it provided quite a bit of shade.  I was glad of that as it was very sunny and getting quite warm by the time I had finished.  I wore a hydration rucksack and had two annoying stops to sort out the tube (once to unfold a bend stopping the water flow and once to reattach the tube properly) but was glad of the water within.  Also brief stop to switch from T-shirt to vest half-way (chilly at the start). Tired at the end but no leg / foot soreness and on average hit my intended pace (taking just moving time) so pleased about that. 
  • Options
    Hazel, I've never had a problem with my tube, I just feed it through the loops on my vest and it stays put. Only problem I had was when my old bladder sprang a leak and I had to do half my run with a very wet bum. :lol:

After a week that was more speed than distance, I knew I needed to get a long run in somehow so I decided (as legs weren't too sore) that I might as well get it done today. 20 would have been ideal but after parkrun followed by a 10K (and also the 6 miles on Friday...I hardly ever run four days in a row) it would be OK to do 16-18. In the end I did 18, though the big hill I ran up at 13 miles nearly finished me off and my hamstrings were fried by that point, but I pushed on until I made it to 18. Not remotely fast but given I did three fast efforts last week, I'm not worried about that. Main thing is miles in the bank.
    Weirdest thing spotted today was the corpse of a pet rodent (possibly a small rat but might've been a big mouse or a hamster - white with a black head) in one of the cracks in the ground on Pollard's Hill (the steep, grassy one). Not sure if it was an unfortunate escapee or a piss poor attempt at a pet burial - I ran up the thing twice so I saw the poor bugger both times.
  • Options
    Welcome back hamster and hopefully the cramp issue is fully resolved. Good to have a break from the laptop every now and then, otherwise they rule our lives.

Good Bognor run, john, and well done to Mrs JB for getting to 60%. Haven't done Bognor so may have to stick that one on the list sometime. Hopefully your legs have recovered from the 10K effort as well.

Great race, Hazelnut, and a really good report. Well done on the position and also the time as well. And to get a 21 miler in as well yesterday.

Good 10K race, Cal, sure you're really pleased to have beaten your target time. Strange how running in cities plays havoc with the GPS. We we did the Love Run in Philadelphia a couple of years back my watch was posting 6 minute miles, which really threw me. Sounds as though you're getting back in to form.

PR on Saturday was the 9th in the club grand prix series (which started at the beginning of 2020 - wonder why it's taken so long to finish). This was in Uckfield, which appears popular with those doing their PR A to Z, starting at the rugby club with a lap round the pitch before heading off on a trail run. Very similar to the WSFRL races in terms of terrain and also that in some places overtaking is nigh on impossible. 14 of us ventured over - nice even split between men and women - and I started off with the key thought of finishing in front of as many of my fellow club runners as possible, specifically two of my fellow Tuesday 'middle group' runners. As such I was more interested in tracking them than going all out for a time. I was a place behind one for the first 2K, which with the number of times he looked round I think unnerved him. My second target was about 20m ahead and as both of these guys had been doing far quicker times than me recently I was glad I was keeping up with them. We both overtook the chap further ahead on the long hill the course has and I went past the guy I'd been following on the downhill part, knowing once we were back on the trail he'd find it difficult to overtake. As such I knew I could slow down a bit and recover. I could hear him behind me as we got to the last 200m, but figured I had the better sprint and in the end pulled away, eventually finishing 3rd male in our little club race - although the time was a touch over 25mins. But as the course wasn't a quick one I was happy with that. It just reminded me how much I'd missed racing as opposed to just running. I really do love that tactical element of going up against someone else.

Sunday was a 10 miler from Henfield along the Downs Link. This was designed to build my partners confidence up after the last couple of weeks, which she passed with flying colours. I, on the other hand, felt my left calf start to tighten at 8.5 miles so slowed right down to try and ease it off. Very warm day and glad of some of the shade on parts of the trail. 
  • Options
    Good start to the week with the long run Cal.  Bit of a wierd place for the rat/mouse/hamster indeed.  Maybe it escaped and was caught by a cat/fox and dumped there? 

Good tussle with your clubmates at parkrun GD.  Well done on 3rd place.  Hope your calf is ok in the meantime.  We are back to pretty warm weather here as well, summer has made a comeback.  Evenings and mornings are very nice for running though.

Recovery 40 mins for me yesterday evening - I was also glad to disappear into the shade of the woods after the first 5-6 minutes.  No particular fatigue from Sunday - I could feel my right ankle a bit which I twisted on the edge of a pothole on Sunday - bit achy now.  They do tend to collapse regularly and never more than a twinge or two so not likely a problem. 
  • Options
    Not too sure I'd have wanted to pass the dead rat/mouse/hamster twice, Cal. I may well have found a different route. Saw a shrew run in front of us on Sunday which was a bit of a surprise.

Hopefully the ankle isn't causing too many problems for you, Hazelnut. Shade is very welcome at the moment, it really did get very hot and sticky yesterday.

Very hilly 10K last night with the club run. After spending the day literally sweating over a very hot laptop and having had a disrupted night's sleep I have to admit I wasn't too keen on going, but actually in the end I'm glad I did. If just for the fresh air. Rather a warm evening and stupidly didn't take any fluids out, having not really drunk much during the day either, meant that by the time I got back and weighed myself I'd lost 5lbs since the previous day, so probably a bit dehydrated. Really need to get into the habit of drinking more during the day.
  • Options
    Good to see that the heat is not stopping you all from getting out. No runs for me for a few days but I take the points on the hydration issues that we are all facing. On Monday I cycled a 25 mile round trip to spend a few hours in the baking sun watching cricket. I think I'd forgotten that it's not just running that can seriously dehydrate you and I was woefully under-hydrated. (To make matter worse, my team - Sussex - got hammered, but that's another story.)
    Will try to get out today but Mrs JB is giving me a hard time about training in this weather, but it's hardly the Marathon des Sables! 
  • Options
    Great racing Cal & Hazel, I do like to see what dogs you've petted Cal ! Beautiful report as ever from Hazel. Almost ran over a frog the other day myself so picked him up and put him back in the grass where he wouldn't get flattened...

I've had a few easy 10k type runs and my first night time run for quite a while. Local council has done something useful and put some lighting around the local park which will be really useful with incoming nights...

Switching between a progressive run or hill sprints for today... Will decide later 
  • Options
    Ankle seems fine thanks GD.  Well done on getting out for the not so easy run after a tough day.  That would be some weight loss due to dehydration. 

I'm not a good drinker either - having a glass of water on my desk next to me helps - I try to make sure it is never empty to remind me to drink a bit.

Would say it is possible to train in hot weather JB but listen to your body more.

Cal's dog/cat petting log makes me smile too hamster.  Good frog saving skills.  That will be handy indeed with the new lighting.  If it is hot I think I would vote for the hill sprints.

Pretty warm but not really hot by the time I was out yesterday evening.  Bit over 5 flat miles on my own prior to meeting up with my Tuesday group and a more sedate but undulating route for a further 6 and a bit.  Village street lighting came on as we were exchanging idle chat at the end.  Reminder that autumn can't be far off now. 
  • Options
    John, I've taken to having a hydration tablet before I go out for my runs due to the fact that, now I'm a menopausal old biddy, I sweat a lot at night. Kind of looking forward to the colder months for that reason, although I don't like the dark.

Glad you like my dog/cat petting log. My flat is too small for an animal so I have to enjoy other people's pets.
    GD, unfortunately I do see the odd dead animal - foxes and sometimes cats that have been hit by cars. Always makes me sad. Still, that's nothing compared the roadkill I used to see during the three years I lived in Oxfordshire. The worst was a dead sheepdog that never got cleared away so it just eroded over time until there were just two sad little ears that used to flap in the breeze as you drove past them.

Today's effort was a 9 mile run with a section I call Alphabet fartlek (there's a series of roads in Tooting with alphabetical names, running from Ascot to Jersey, so I do a zig zag sort of thing, with short jog recoveries at each end). Rather enjoyed it as it hadn't got hot yet.

After breakfast I then went to the gym for some upper body weights. I am still no nearer to being able to do a pull-up, but never mind.
  • Options
    I've been promised by the wife that this year me & the boy are allowed a dog. Once we've done the sensible thing and remortgaged/settled boyo into school life... You know the boring stuff. Would like a Beagle to keep me company in my home office now I'm unlikely to ever really see the inside of an office again for any period of time...

That sheepdog is a very sad story... 

Wish I'd have known about the Alphabet streets during my time in Balham...

Today was indeed hill sprints, they felt really hard this time. Much harder than the same effort 4 weeks back
  • Options
    Hedgehogs seem to feature quite a bit in the roadkill at the moment :/ 

Cal, that is sad that no-one bothered to deal with the dog. Like the alphabet fartlek. 

Maybe have a look into getting a rescue dog hamster?  Some are in the centres for a reason and wouldn't really be suitable for a family scenario but others are there just out of bad luck.    Well done on your hill session - looked like hard work indeed.

I wimped out of an intervals session yesterday and did another recovery paced run of 5.6 miles instead.  Had a bit of CNBA, it was hot still and I was running late so all good excuses.  Will get it done today instead. 
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hamster, good luck with the dog acquisition. Like Hazel I'd lean towards a rescue dog. My son's was from Greece - there's a local charity that ships them over and it seems all very responsible and worthy. The result was a lovely puppy. Hill sessions are tough! I do just about everything I can to avoid them, so well done indeed.

Cal, I didn't know there was such a thing as a hydration tablet. Pull ups are the hill repeats of the gym! I'm OK with these and used to be one of the show-offs who did them with a weight attached. Not now! Love the alphabet idea. (You must be near completing the Parkrun alphabet without setting out to do so?)

The weather is much cooler today if still very humid, so I can't deploy my recent excuses for not running i.e. I've been out on the bike and/or it's just too hot. So I did my 5k session today - 1 x 2k; 20 x 30 sprints;  1x1k. I managed to knock 30 seconds off my previous effort.

Planning to revisit a local Parkrun on Saturday: Lancing Beach. This is a (another!) prom course and at one point you have the sea on one side, a lagoon on the other and a wonderful view along the Sussex coast towards Brighton and the '7 sisters' cliffs beyond in front of you. For some reason. it's not as fast as other similar courses. Hence I tend to avoid it. However, it looks tempting to register a decent time in my newish category. (PS Cal - Lancing station is a 15 minute walk.)  I suspect Guarddog has had a crack at it (?).
  • Options
    Hamster, good luck with the dog. I'd agree with the others...do consider rehoming an adult dog...puppies are cute but you have to train/housetrain them and so many lovely older dogs need homes. There is even a Beagle rehoming charity. https://www.beaglewelfare.org.uk/rehoming/

John, I'm missing a J, U, Y and Z. The Y requires a trip to Devon or Yorkshire while the Z means a trip overseas (Poland, NL or Germany) so I'm in no hurry.
    Lancing sounds nice. I'm off to Hazelwood, the home of the London Irish rugby club. It's a field, so not very exciting, but it's my NENDY (well, technically...a new London one is starting on Saturday too but I am holding off from doing that one for a bit to let it bed in).
    Hydration tabs are just fizzy tablets - SiS and High 5 make them (and I'm sure others too). I had a stash of the High 5 ones from various goody bags.

Very unhappy to find my start time for Manchester Marathon is 11am - I didn't realise they are also running the half (the marathon is usually April and the half in the Autumn) and the idiots are sending that off first instead of the other way around, which would be the sensible option. Almost tempted to bin it off. I don't think even the elites start until 10:30...some of the slower people aren't going until midday! Madness.

Awful, awful sleep last night so only able to summon up the slowest of recovery paces (12:30ish) for a four miler today. Was hoping to do six but no sense in flogging myself for another two miles when the body doesn't want it.
    I did drag it to the gym for some rehabby stuff, but nothing too energetic.
  • Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I have kept my eye on rehoming. Many of the dogs are older dogs and/or not suited for young children. With a boisterous 4 year old many of the dogs are not recommended by the centers sadly. With younger dogs at least you can train them and they get used to an environment quickly. Not having to go through the whole toilet training phase would be a bonus... I've waited 3 years so not in a rush

My sister got a "rejected" German Sheppard from the army/police force, forget which. Kody is a daft as they come and a magnificent dog, if a little too big for me ! She is really strong as well...

Easy 10k in the legs today. My easy pace seems to have dipped below an hour for a 10k where last year it was more 1h 8min at worse which is good. Slightly rainy here today but still quite hot and humid...
  • Options
    Glad the ankle is OK, Hazelnut, and hopefully you don't get any more issues with it. Can be when you turn it there's an inherent weakness there so you keep doing it.

Well done on the easy 10K, hamster, and good luck with the dog search. Likewise we'd love a dog so the option of a rescue dog may be one we'll investigate. Although with two cats it's probably going to be a while before we get one as there'd be major noses being put out if a dog was brought in.

I've run Lancing Green a few times, john, and it is a lovely, friendly event and certainly not as crowded as Worthing. We've done a volunteer takeover there before as well. I think the reason why it's not as fast as Worthing is that you have the start on the grass to begin with and it's also quite a tight path so overtaking can be a challenge at times. I remember we were there a couple of years ago and I think it was for James' 50th, so my partner had made cake to mark the occasion and to share with others from the club. At the end we had coffee at the Perch, sitting on the benches at the back on the beach and chatting to a guy who merrily helped himself to cake and seemed to know a couple of our group. When he'd gone we asked who he was, "No idea, we though he was with you!"

Hopefully you get a better night's sleep this weekend, Cal. It's a bit cooler now so that should make it a bit easier. Does seem a bit mad to start the half off before the full. Certainly when we did Goodwood before Xmas they had the marathon going first which, as you say, is the sensible way to do it.

Off to the National Running Show in Farnborough tomorrow and hoping to get some inspiration for a birthday present for my partner. We have tickets for both days and a couple of weeks ago I had the thought we could stay up in a hotel and make an evening of it. Checked availability on the Saturday with rooms available, discussed it on the Sunday and went to book and they'd all gone.

Did the "5.30 at 5:30" this morning. This was postponed from last year, so the t-shirts were all for 2020, and it also should have been held in June so that we were running in a lighter morning. However really nice to see so many people out, even if it meant getting up at 4:30 and having a head torch on (which I didn't actually use). The t-shirt is cotton, so not great for running in and with the warm morning and humidity was somewhat damp (i.e. completely soaked) by the time we finished. The run starts outside the Theatre Royal near the Royal Pavilion and then heads off into The Lanes and out on to the seafront, going west towards Hove before looping back. What we'd intended to be a gentle jog seemed to get quicker as we passed others and my partner reminded me it wasn't a race. Which was fine until we got to the last 200m were she obviously changed her mind and started to sprint off!! Good atmosphere at the end and bumped in to an old friend who used to throw me around quite a bit when I did judo.
  • Options
    Hills are good for you JB!  :p  Enjoy your parkrun tomorrow but don't look at the scenery too much during the run - you might fall over your feet (or someone elses).  Well done on getting the 5k session done.

Enjoy visiting my wood Cal.  Never tried those hydration tablets.  That is a bit carp regarding Manchester.  Would you be travelling homewards on that day on top?  Hope you have caught up on sleep a bit and agree on the shortened recovery.

Certainly take your time with the dog selection hamster.  We had a former working dog in the family (I think I was around 8), sadly she had to be rehomed again because she wasn't safe enough (with immediate family members yes but not really other people).  Great improvement on your 10k.

Ankles have always been loose GD - they used to click as well on every step when walking - drove quite a lot of people mad.. I have never really damaged anything though.  Enjoy the running show tomorrow.  Like the idea of the 5:30 at 5:30 - always nice to do something a bit different. 

With better conditions - warm and muggy rather than hot and sunny I caught up on the intervals yesterday - 5 x 600m off 2xxm recoveries.  I don't take exact splits but the GPS trace shows a decent enough set.  5 x 600 is quite manageable but as usual I set off a bit quick on rep no. 1 and put in a decent effort on the others as well so that I was tired enough at the end of it.  I wore my "fast shoes", a fairly modest pair of NB 1500s and made sure to run on my forefoot but did noticed as I was tiring that I kept falling back to mid-foot every now and then which does lead to an uneven gait.

With warm-up (progressive with 5 x strides) and a cool down total a bit more than 8 and a half miles.
  • Options
    Cal, those letters are hard to find! I've got a 'U' (Uckfield) but am missing an O and D in addition to the J, Y and Z. Hope that Manchester start time doesn't mess you about too much. 

Hamster, we used to have a GSD but she was the runt of the litter (we had that in common). Very intelligent (we didn't have that in common), and a lovely dog. Good luck in your search.

G'dog (could you be the answer to Hamster's search?) I'm always impressed that you (and Cal) both exploits your locations so fully. You must know the greater Brighton area like the back of your hand. The Brighton Marathon on Sunday will close large parts of the city down. You must know folk who are doing it? Will you pop along and take a look and give a cheer?

Hazel, very impressed (I spend much of my time being impressed!) that you can monitor (and adjust) your foot strike whilst running! It's hard enough for me to put on foot in front of the other.

So, I didn't do my planned seafront Parkrun. This was because I cycled it yesterday and the wind battered me (G'dog might well sympathise). It's actually less windy today but I was so fed up with it that I decided to head in-land today. Actually quite a lot in-land: 45 miles to be precise in Woking.

I knew it was quite a fast (flat) course. It's in a lovely park and the weather was perfect. (No wind!) Managed 21.42, which was good enough on a course which had (I was told) 45 corners! Also, a bit of mud and quite a lot over overtaking (3 laps). Age grade was 78.03% was was the 3rd  best (of 290) on the day. My time is 4th best in my age category since the event began. 

Even better, Mrs JB won her category. 

Away from boring running stats, Woking is the home town of HG Wells and Paul Weller - but neither of them turned up.
  • Options
    Hazel...no I'm staying with my mate, Colin. Colin's a delivery driver, though, so he'll be up at 6:30 the next day so I'll have to get myself to the station (not that I haven't done that before).
    Well done on your intervals.

John, I've got four Os...you need to come to London (I recommend Osterley, it's beautiful)! Only had one D for ages (Dulwich) until I did Dartford recently, so that one's a bit tougher. No U yet - Upton Court is my nearest but haven't got around to it as it's a bit of a faff.
    That's a good time at Woking...that one is on my list as it's not bad to get to. A couple of my clubmates moved there and are regulars.

Hazelwood parkrun today...this one is a bit of journey as it's just out of London past Bushy Park, but not as far as the two in Essex I've done recently. I didn't want a long journey the day before a half, or a hilly one. It takes place at the London Irish RC so it's almost all on grass and is flat, which makes it a bit easier on my legs.
    I was pleased to see my old parkrun friend Tunde there (I met him on the tram to South Norwood a couple of years back and we've done a few parkruns together since). I'd not seen him since before the pandemic so it was good to meet up again. He also gave me a lift home which was nice of him and meant I didn't have to get the train back (although I'd already got a ticket).

The parkrun itself was pretty standard for my current form - made it 27:01 on my watch but it was upgraded to 26:58 in the results (I was slightly annoyed as I need a :00 for my parkrun bingo - part of the tourist running challenges - but it's nice to get a sub-27 anyway). It's not an especially busy parkrun so I also nabbed first in my age group and 7th lady.
  • Options
    Not MIA but running is taking 2nd place to next stage in the tooth implant surgery.  Raised HR is discouraged as it hinders healing, so I'll be starting walking tomorrow, and gym & a short, slow [well, they all are these days!] run later this week.
  • Options
    I hope it went well, swittle!

After a very disappointing run at The Big Half, I was hoping that was a blip and I could manage a sub-2 here (still a way above my PB of 1:52:56, but acceptable after recent troubles). First few miles felt quite good but then we got onto the horrible stony trail section along the river and I slowed here. Things didn't improve when we got back onto a better surface - I was labouring and I could feel a very small amount of discomfort in my upper ribs, which might well have been a stitch but after two ECGs and the TTE (Echo) I got two days ago, I began to feel paranoid that I might actually have a problem. After that I decided I would just Jeff it in, so the last six miles featured a few walk breaks. Strangely, once I'd taken that pressure off myself, I actually enjoyed it a bit and was less unhappy with my time than I was at the Big Half, even though I came in at 2:13:32 (which, incidentally, is worse than all but the lone half marathon I did in 2011, back when I ran in tracky bottoms with no Garmin and trained off one run a week and spent the rest of the time lifting weights).

I will almost certainly bail on Manchester now - I'm just not ready and I think I need to find out the results of the echo before I do much else. I'll likely still do the Pride 10K next week as I seem to be able to cope with pace up to around 6 miles. Not sure about the half marathon after that.

Hamstring tendon is pretty grumpy again, too, which isn't great. But hey I got a nice medal with Steph on it and a box of porridge, so I've got that going for me.