Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, we got the sandstorm yesterday - sky was a weird creamy yellow in the morning and then it rained all evening. Perfectly clear today though.
    I'm with you on not walking the hills. Shuffle jog is about right. I may well be doing my first ultra in June, though, so I'll probably have to rethink that.

Been bucked off myself, more than once. Nice way to get all the air knocked out of you. My best fall was in a little jumping competition though. The horse I was riding didn't fancy the fence as much as I did and dumped me in front of it. It wasn't a fast or heavy fall, but as he took a step back he caught me full in the face with his knee. I did get back on and finish but I was pretty dazed. Lucky my nose wasn't broken.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Woking parkrun today...chosen as it's relatively quick to get to (20 minutes from Clapham Junction, so just under an hour from door to park) as I didn't want faff the day before a half marathon.
    Absolutely perfect, sunny weather, and the park is nice with lots of flowers. They were on the winter course which is one small lap and then three big laps. It's mostly hard path but does venture into the woods, which can be extremely muddy. The winter course has less of the woods bit. There definitely was mud but it wasn't bad and my trail shoes were up to the task.
    Huffed and puffed around in 28:02 (missed a bingo number again as I needed :00 or :03...annoyed!) which is two minutes better than my effort at Clapham last weekend. I was pushing a bit but not a lot due to the race tomorrow (Hampton Court Palace half) so HR didn't get into the 190s this time. :lol:
    Anyway, that's venue number 97...three more to go.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hampton Court Palace half went about as well as I could have hoped. Given I've just had a nasty cold, haven't managed a sub-2 since lockdown and have a marathon in two weeks, I figured I'd be best off aiming for 4:15 marathon pace (kind of what I'm hoping for in Manchester, though still not quite sure how realistic that'll be due to the lack of long runs) and see how it went.
    The course is different to the Hampton Court half in February, which starts and ends on the village green in Thames Ditton. This one actually starts and finishes in the palace grounds, which is rather wonderful, especially on a sunny day like today as there are blossoms and daffodils in abundance.
    The course is mostly a reverse of the other race but whereas the February race has a loop through Kingston, this one comes back for a second pass along the towpath by the palace (a three mile stretch) before turning back into the grounds themselves for the remaining two miles. I'll admit I was not a fan of the last two miles as it was on stony trail, which was rather uncomfortable to run on.
    I got chatting to a nice woman at the start and we ran together for about six miles, and had a good chat during that time (though I think I did most of the talking). I ran 9:39/9:39/9:39/9:35/9:25/9:33 during this part, which felt slightly out of my comfort zone but also sustainable. 
    Unfortunately I lost her after the mile 6 water station, so I started chatting to another woman who stayed with me for the next couple of miles (9:27/9:29) before fading.
    At this point we were heading back to the palace before heading down the towpath again and I did a 9:09 here, which was a bit quicker than I'd planned. 
    Once on the towpath I started running with a couple of young men, one dressed as Henry and one dressed in a tacky gold Anne Boleyn costume (it was his 30th birthday) and it was rather fun to run alongside them as they got big cheers from the spectators. I pulled ahead for a while, though they both went past me in the final mile, as did someone in a full Cookie Monster costume. My remaining miles were 9:14/9:22/9:11/9:11 and then just under 9 for the final run into the finish. Not bad on the stony path (the finish itself was loose gravel...yuck...but finishing right in front of the palace was fab) but I can't summon up the kind of the sprint the younger folks can, it seems.
    Anyway, final time was 2:04:45 - quicker than the February half, and with a neg split, so reasonably pleased with that.
    Managed to get underboob and armpit chafing again despite having smeared Vaseline on beforehand. I think I'm going to have to lube myself up like a Channel swimmer for Manchester.
  • Options
    Neglecting the thread again. 

You did very well Cal in your half, I like the look of that progression.  Nice report too - thanks.  hmm - maybe a new bra to help deal with the chafing?   100 parkruns really not far off now.

I continued last week with a sluggish recovery 10k on Thursday.  I probably overdid the hills on Wednesday and didn't really get going at all.  I could happily have shortened the run but decided to practice mental strength.

Friday was a rest day as I was racing on Saturday.  15k, fairly local, a toughish undulating course.  I didn't run the hills too well and was happy to get a 1:10:41 which was actually more or less what I was expecting.  11th of 133 in my age group and 80th out of around 780 ladies.   I have posted a longer report on Sunday's daily thread on Training.

I must have run with my handbrake on a bit though as I was expecting Sunday's run to be a recovery shuffle.  As it was I struggled to keep my pace easy.  8.77 miles.  Shorts and T-shirt weather - masses of cyclists out - didn't see any other runners though.  Enjoyed the spring blooms in the gardens - mix of snowdrops, crocus and daffodils now and the first willow trees are also coming into leaf.  I also cycled to and from my run - I forgot to take a lock for the bike and had to dump it out of view in the woods - I was rather pleased it was still there on my return - would have been a lengthy walk home.
  • Options
    Apologies been MIA for the last week. Had a few days being ill (thanks child) and busy at the minute with work...

John, Hope that injury is recovering ok. 

Cal, great effort with the HM. Sounds like a nice route including the grounds. I remember walking those a few years back and it's really quite pleasant ! Neg splits are a good sign for Manchester as well...

I've had some sessions over the week. Parkrun was @ Aberbeeg which is closest PR to my home town. Finally managed to dip into the 20's @ 20m 50s which was surprising at the first 2.5k is solidly uphill which we were not expecting. Quite a cramped, narrow path though. Managed 16.5k yesterday as well with a quicker 10mins at the end. My legs feel weak today so gauranteed rest day for me...

Last full week of training for this last 4 month block of training and its taper/easy week for Weston this Sunday. Pressure is off to enjoy as managed my target @ Newport but aiming to get into the 30s...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazel, I tried a different one... I suspect it's because I've put on 7lbs and may be a little bigger as a result. Really need to get this weight off. Ah, it'll come off in summer when I can no longer cook.
    Spring is absolutely my favourite time to run. I love it. Well done on the 15K. That's a great time with the hills. 

Good luck at Weston, DH, and well done on the parkrun.

• Options
    Great to dip into the 20s DH.  You are running well and I think you will do well at your half on Sunday. 

I guess it is hard to shift weight otherwise once it is on Cal - I am lucky that I don't (yet?) seem to change much.

Gentle start to the running week yesterday evening - 6.5 slow miles with my Tuesday group.  Last time we will need a headtorch until the autumn, looking forward to the lighter evenings now.  Maybe some of our summer only runners will pop up out of hibernation as of next week.  It was a lovely evening yesterday - one of those on which it was warmer up than down the hill. 
  • Options
    Running to shift weight does seem to plateau. It's basically why I started amongst being massively lazy after lockdown no. 1.  I had 10kg to lose which came off over 6 months maybe and even though my distances have increased alongside intensity my weight has steadied for over a year and I don't lose or gain a thing. Yet I eat roughly the same amount, drinking has reduced although partial to a bag of Haribo...

I gave up my running lights a few weeks back, so nice to be rid for another year isn't it !? I organised a club 10k race @ Cardiff Bay in May to get those summer runners out. I was hoping to see a few on our Wednesday night jaunts to get them started, nothing really yet but have around 10 signed up... 

Last hard run complete yesterday. 20 mins of tempo with 15m easy either side through the park - by gum it was warmer ! Might have to test out my new Parkrun vest later :) Just easy 5ks over next few days, training block finally complete !
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I do like the light mornings...of course it will be darker again after the clock change on Sunday. I wish they'd bin BST, it's unnecessary these days. I also hate that it's light until 9pm in the summer...I know some people like that but my west facing flat reaches nuclear temperatures in the evening and it also encourages noisy neighbours to hang out in their gardens until late. Ugh.

Anyway, after a ploddy four miler yesterday, I had a better, progressive 8 miler today. Went out around 9:30am and it was warm enough for a vest and shorts (first shorts run of the year, in fact). Got some chafing under my arm, though...that's not so good. Didn't think a run that short would warrant smearing myself in goop, but I guess so.
  • Options
    Well done on the weight loss DH.  Nice to see you are active in your club like that.  I hope it isn't too warm for you on Sunday.

Interesting to see your views on daylight etc. Cal as you are a morning runner.  Nice to get the lighter clothes out isn't it?  Yes to the g(l?)oop - better to identify the hotspots before Manchester.

Tough run for me yesterday: Just short of 12 miles.  Workout was 3k (sorry for the kms) warm-up then 1k,2k,3k,3k,2k,1k at fairly hard effort.  I took 0.5km recoveries between the efforts with the exception of 3-3 when I did a full km.  I did have a couple of brief stops for road crossings and a quick drink when I paused my watch, moving time was 1:34:14 which overall is the equivalent to my mara PB pace.  Certainly different to doing a one pace MLR, concentrating on the current section I was on made the time and distance pass quite quickly.  Warm again - t-shirt and shorts for me too and I got a bit dehydrated as I hadn't drunk enough during the day.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds tough, Hazel...I think I will definitely have to step it up over the summer if I want to get close to my old form in the Autumn (I've entered Chester Marathon in October...second time for that one but it's a lovely race).
    Just 4 again today...legs felt heavy.
  • Options
    I'm definitely an evening person over morning. I don't even pretend to be able to get up early for anything these days...

I'm going to try one of those pyramid sessions at some point next month. They sound like an interesting way to get a long tempo style run completed. Well done Hazel.

Had a few lazy 5k'ers just to keep the legs turning over. Took doggo out with me today over into our walking field and he almost got to 5k but it was rather warm @ 17c and bright sunshine. He cooled off in the river afterwards...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    He's still a pup though isn't he, DH? That's quite a lot for a youngster.

Today's parkrun was Panshanger, a rural one lapper in Herts. My friend Rob lives up that way so he met me at the station and we jogged the couple of miles over to the start. The course itself is all off-road, rather cross country-ish with a mix of stony trail, gravelly trail, a bit of grass (thankfully firm after the recent warm weather) and some hard path that looked more like trail. I could see this one would have been very muddy indeed until recently so I was thankful to hit it when it was dry.
    Not a fast course - two gravelly ascents before the half-way point and some lumpy ground underfoot - so reasonably happy to get 28:04 even if I missed a parkrun bingo number by a second again. (Grrr). Still, that's now my 98th venue...closing in on the 100.
    I'll be doing 99 in Manchester next weekend but will stick to my home run the week after as my legs will be knackered.
    I've not yet decided where 100 will be, but hopefully I can persuade a person or two to come with.
  • Options
    Good news you have Chester ahead Cal. Very close to the 100 now, hope you can find some running buddies to celebrate that with. How many parkruns do you have altogether, must be a few as well as I assume you will have run some more than once.

First time I had tried such a run DH, though I have done tempo intervals with fixed time slots in the past. I can also recommend those.
    Good luck for tomorrow.

Recovery 10k on Thursday, felt ok and happy to run quite an undulating route for a recovery.  Rest day on Friday, then 8.3 miles pre breakie  this morning. Planning to do a long run tomorrow so kept the effort sensible. Still fairly cool and fresh. Not many people around, just met a local guy with his 3-legged terrier who always greets very friendly (the guy rather than the terrier, that isn't interested in my ankles fortunately).
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazel - 154. A good couple of years before I can earn the 250 shirt. In no hurry though. Hope your long run goes well.

10 miles this morning...last double figures run. My right knee was little sod, though. I felt it going downstairs to the loo last night and it was awful when I started my run in spite of my pre-run exercises. Not the first time it's done this so I wasn't overly worried and it did warm up after a while. I might've jammed it a little on Panshanger's downhill stretch, but I suspect it's more likely because I spend too much time sitting in front of the computer. Need to makes sure I get on top of my stretching and walk around more over the next week.
    Not much to do now...couple of short runs.
  • Options
    That is pretty impressive then Cal that you have done so many different events with that overall total.  Good idea to keep moving next week pre mara. 

Long run went well enough - 20.25 miles.  I had planned to look at part of the route of a potential race but didn't get out in time to likely be able to catch a train and didn't fancy an hour or so of waiting around.  So off to a familiar route up and down a river.  Paths were heaving with other people (walkers, cyclists) but I managed to weave my way around them - would have been a pain if I had wanted to do a longer faster session but that wasn't today's goal.  It was pretty warm and sunny, I came back with salt crystals on my face but carried a hydration vest (new) for water / gels so no real issues with that and I need to get used to warmer conditions anyway.  I put in a couple of faster miles here and there but the in-between bits were a bit on the fast side, next long one should be at a more sedate effort. 3 gels consumed - didn't exactly enjoy them but seemed to do their job.
  • Options
    Excitement kicked in now Cal ? How's that knee this morning ?

Hazel, that was a cracking run. I'm quite jealous of the long long runs by yourself & Cal but a) I don't have that in my legs currently and b) don't have the time at the minute. Still must have been a lovely run up and down the river and pretty gentle in terms of slope ?

Weston-Super-Half completed in 1.38... Happy with that but prep' work and rest the day before wasn't ideal. Didn't feel quite as ready as Newport but alas sub 1.40 was the goal. It's a far harder course than I expected but the event itself is great, plenty of support, different views and you know when to power to the finish as it's the length of the pier ! 2 hard sections with 2.4km of running on the beach, that was leg zapping and from 14km - 17km is all up hill which was nasty. Mentally that was the hardest section. The cloudless sky was beautiful if not ideal
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ugh, well, I went to the gym yesterday and did a bit of bike an elliptical plus some rehabby type stuff...glute bridges and whatnot and a good stretch. Had the odd twinge from the right knee but also the odd twinge from the left one. Then later, my right groin had a go.
    Still a bit of grumbling today but not as bad as Sunday. Did 6 miles. Rather chilly now. I was planning to rest tomorrow and run Thursday but Thursday is forecast for sleet and wind so I think I'll swap them around.
  • Options
    Well done on the HM PB DH.  Beach running is certainly hard work in my experience.  What racing plans do you have next?  Regarding the long runs: for HMs it is also worth gradually building up to 15-16 miles in my experience.  My river run route is indeed useful due to the gentle gradient, does get pretty busy on nice days though. 

Careful with the rehabby stuff this week Cal, you don't want to irritate anything too much pre mara.  Sounds like a good idea to swap the runs around due to the conditions unless it is what you are likely to get for your race and you might need some reacclimatisation to it after the warmer weather.

Monday was a rest day for me - needed it after Sunday's long effort so just a walk to loosen up a bit.

With the lighter evenings I cycled to my run and back yesterday - the usual whizz down the hill and slog back.  Run was 9.6 miles, 5k on my own to test the legs (in good working order) and then the rest with my Tuesday group at a gentle to moderate effort.  Good to see 2 summer runners back out with us.  With more Sahara sand being dumped on us and it generally being dry and dusty the air quality was pretty poor so I am glad of the rain now currently falling.  Not so sure about the snow due to fall on Friday and Saturday though!
  • Options
    Fun times for me at the minute. I have a full cold on the go, pretty sure I had this gurgling around since Friday before my HM. Wife has come down with Covid so not a chance of running at the minute. I guess a week off won't do any harm now...

Race wise I'm not so sure now, Cardiff Bay 10k in May but I seemed to have reached the limit on training plans on my Garmin. Problem I'm finding is they start you from scratch so are all 8-12 weeks long, I'm not starting from scratch now. Looks like I will have to plan my own sessions now which is going to be challenge.

I have 2 more HM end Sept/Oct so will aim for a 1.35 I think... I still want to achieve a sub 45m 10k which I should do at Cardiff

We've had that Sahara sand as well, made a right mess of the car. They've threatened snow for the next week here too. I just want the warmer weather back now. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Get well soon, hamster. If you have what I had, it's a nasty one.

Did 5 miles today...miles 3 and 4 at MP (well, it was supposed to be MP but it was about 10-15 seconds too fast. Hard to judge, really). Knee was OK initially but then got stabby when I upped the pace. But then it settled again. Definitely ITB. Since it does warm up I don't foresee any issues for the weekend.
  • Options
    Uggh DH - get well soon and hope you don't get Covid too (or already have it).  Good timing after your HM though at least.  Keep working on your 10k time to get the HM down as well.  I can recommend P&L for a good training plan - tough but interesting sessions.  On those I would however do a full plan rather than jumping in.  Have you also recalculated your training paces based on recent times?

Sounds good for the weekend Cal.  Hope the knee stays quiet!

Bit over 9 miles yesterday evening.  Aim was a short warm-up and then 10k @3:30 mara pace (7:57/m) and a short cool-down.  The 10k came out faster than it should have done.  Better than too slow but I am trying to get a feel for certain paces at the moment.  Ran up and down the same loop a few times getting strange looks from a group of ladies out with their dogs.  By the logos on their cars they do cani-cross and I called over if I could borrow a dog for my session.. :).  I also produced a few strange looks in their direction as their workout involved people lying around in bushes - I guess they were doing some people finding training.   Must have been fun for the dogs involved, a change from the standard sniff & run sort of walk (nowt wrong with that though).  Dust levels were a bit better as it had rained a little during the day.
  • Options
    Early good luck for the weekend Cal - travel well!

Recovery 5 miles yesterday evening - got rained on for what felt like the first time in weeks.  Wasn't cold though.

Route was a bit tough for a real recovery run - long downhills and a couple of sharp inclines.  I tried to run by feel and overall pace came out as I would have planned for a flat recovery.
  • Options
    Nice parkrun by Cal spotted on strava - good luck tomorrow!

MLR yesterday afternoon in snow/sleet/rain.  Quite a lot of the fluffy stuff at the top of the hill where I live, so headed down the hilll to less of it.  Pretty cold and it took me a while to get going.  I was supposed to have been doing a few 2k efforts but it was the sort of day I decided not to force a workout - I was tired and the conditions not so great.  Won't do any harm to miss one - will maybe put in a few miles in my long run tomorrow instead.  12.4 miles.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hazel...keep banking those miles!

Terrible train journey up yesterday (overhead wire damage meant my train was cancelled and subsequent ones were heavily delayed...got into Manchester after 10 instead of half eight...but I was up for parkrun today. Alexandra is a nice flat one so while I was intent on taking it fairly easy, I couldn't resist a little push at the end and did 28:27 instead of 30ish. Eh well. Knee was OK but groin is still a bit niggly. Hopefully won't be an issue tomorrow, unlike my lack of training and overall fitness!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fairly chilly but otherwise decent conditions today...a little breeze at times but the sun came out as well, so it was pleasant. 
    Obviously I've gone into this race with less mileage and more weight than I'd like, so I expected to fade, but set off at 4:15 pace and managed to keep that going until mile 17. Got a bit slower after that, and them considerably slower after 20 when my legs began to go. I was also feeling a little queasy and couldn't face any more gels so I didn't take any more on after 20 either. 
    No issues with the knee or groin, but everything got a bit sore (feet were the worst actually) and I was like Bambi for the final mile. Often I rally a bit for the last mile but not today, it was my slowest by far. But I feel proud I got around without walking (just as well as when I stopped at the finish, I could hardly walk at all...I was very slow getting through the race village to meet Colin).
    Nearly collapsed on the tram too... I started feeling sick and closed my eyes and leaned my bum against the side of the carriage and my legs just started shaking. Col had to hold me up until we got to our stop.
    But I'm OK now. Food and a non-drama train journey back helped. Just hoping I can sleep tonight (I always sleep like crap after marathons).
  • Options
    Shame about the journey up Cal, glad the return was better.

You did great - well done.  Nice constant pacing initially and a fade rather than stop and go towards the end.  Sounds like you got everything out of yourself that you had.  Nasty to feel ill like that in the aftermath.  Hope you got some sleep in in the meantime and recover well.

Inspired by all the marathoning going on (and I have my own long race in a few weeks time) I set out late morning for my own long run.  Having not done a second session during the week I decided to put in 8 miles @ 3:30 mara pace.  Tough one in a 21 miler but I got it done.  Suffering a bit today though and need to get out for some active recovery later.  Conditions suited me well, around freezing and a just about bearable breeze.  1 gel and half an oat pack and some water was all I took on this time and seemed to be enough.
  • Options
    Hi all, I'm back after 3-4 weeks in the slough of despond with the hamstring probs. Apologies for missing all your news - the only thing I've looked at is Cal's Strava and the above post revealing that the Manchester marathon is done and dusted. Well done tremendous effort, Cal. Looks like to took a lot out of you.

As for me, after weeks of ice, roller and stretching and a few false dawns I think I am just about OK. Resumed running with a Park Run on Saturday (Great Salterns, Portsmouth) in 22.07 (better than expected) and then pushed my luck with a Sunday 5k event in Bournemouth where we were staying. This went very well with a 21.17 and a VM60 cat win by over 4 minutes, despite having to stop to retie my shoe (amateur!).

The bad news was that I must have had a faulty chip (hey! the one on my shoulder always works perfectly!) and my result didn't come through. Oh well, at least it wasn't a PB.

Main thing: hamstrings and morale have both improved - and I'll try to get back into checking in on the thread. 

Cheers!
  • Options
    Cal that was a tremendous effort, congratulations ! Running out of juice like that at the end but having the mental strength to push on through is outstanding. So glad the tweaks and issues sorted themselves out. I can only remember getting to that point once and it's not nice... So when's the next one ?  :smiley:

I've seen so many good Manchester results come through I did ask our club who wanted a joint club Manchester next year, so far everyone is silent 

John, Good to see you back Sir !! After a light push on those 5ks certainly seems like the injury issues are behind you :) Bad news on the faulty chip :( 

Hazel knocking the training sessions out of the park as usual but I don't envy the snow, sleet & rain you are having.

I didn't manage to avoid the Covid last week but only tested +ve for a few days. Saturday evening & Sunday I tested -ve so went out for a small 5-6k run to test the water after a week of nothing. Pace was higher than intended but worryingly my HR was also way lower than it should have been for that pace, 146 where I expected 160+. No idea what was 'wrong' but run felt hard and not really sure I could have run any further... It sounds like a good thing but something was iffy & not right...

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I was fine after Colin fed me and the journey home was OK (I actually made the train before the one I was supposed to get so sat in a random seat with a younger man and it turns out he was a new clubmate. So we had a good yack all the way home). Managed the tube escalators and stairs OK, which is a good sign.
    Sleep was so so - did my usual waking up in the small hours thing so I had a cuppa and a protein bar and read for a bit before going back to sleep. 
    Legs stiff and sore today but got myself to the gym for an easy half hour on the elliptical followed by a bit of stretching.

DH...next marathon is Chester in October. I'm hoping to be a bit closer to my old form by then. But I'm seriously considering a 50K ultra the day after my birthday in June. That'll be something new for me.
    Before then I have a 10K and two mile races...a bit of a change of pace, eh?

John, great news you are feeling better. Hurrah. Can the race organiser do something about your result? I've had chip fails but managed to get a time after submitting Garmin evidence.

Hazel, that's an absolutely cracking run, well done!