Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Good to hear that you are all training well. Unfortunately the hammie went again this afternoon. Boring!
    Not too bad. Rest, ice, massage should get me back on my feet. Bugger!
  • Options
    Good to hear you are recovering well Cal.  Bit of gentle active recovery will do you good.  The 50k in June sounds doable between Manchester and Chester but you won't have much time for a down period now or post ultra.  Did Colin like his Caterpillar Easter egg btw?  Nice to have someone to chat to on the train - makes the miles go past much quicker.

Eeek JB - take it easy.  Good to see you do a couple of good times at the weekend (annoying regarding the chip though - would you have won a prize for your age category?) but don't jump in too much too fast until that hammie is settled.   

Sorry to hear you didn't manage to avoid Covid DH.  Maybe you need a few days of recovery yet.

Rest day on Monday and a standard group run yesterday.  Legs were a bit tired from Sunday so I was glad of a fairly sedate pace, especially up the hills.  4 of us in the group and we saw at least another 6 solo runners out which is an impressive number for the area.  Fairly mild - t-shirt and armsleeves up and down sort of temps.  The weather forecast looks pretty carp (windy) the next few days for doing any sessions but I will have to work around it.
  • Options
    Thanks Hazel. No prize missed! 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I guess I don't need to worry about that any more, Hazel...seems that ultra's been moved to October, so I won't be able to do it as it'll be soon after Chester. On the one hand, I could find another ultra, but on the other, I think I could benefit from working on my speed and strength. I'll have to give that some thought. (Still resting...just a walk today).
  • Options
    At least you didn't loose out on a prize then JB.  That would have annoyed me. 

Shame about the ultra being moved Cal.  The alternative of working on speed / strength is a good one too.  Couple more weeks recovery from Manchester then ease into that as a start to build up for Chester could be a good idea.

MLR on Wednesday with 1,2,3,2,1 km at a harder effort, 11.2 miles in total including recoveries and warm-up and cool-down I ran the same loop several times to avoid level crossings and road crossings which wasn't overly exicting but with the efforts to concentrate on I didn't get too bored.  0.5k recoveries inbetween.

Early rest day yesterday as I couldn't kick myself out into the pouring rain and strong winds yesterday afternoon/evening.  Likely similar this afternoon (post-work) but will get it done this time.  Only a recovery run. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, I've a couple of mile races in May...something new for me, that. Trying to do that while also trying to build up miles for an ultra would be tricky.
    I also didn't fancy the wind yesterday, but I got out today for a slow, clunky three miler. Still got some sore and tight bits but eased up during the run. I'm starting to think my sore groin is due to sitting rather than running. Made sure I had a good old stretch when I got back.

John, how's the hammy?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did my local parkrun today, Tooting Common. Helped set up the funnel then did a few drills to warm up. Stiff at first and also lost a few seconds during the first quarter mile or so as a woman stacked it in front of me and I stopped to see if she was OK. But my stride warmed up quite well and I got around in just under half an hour. I'm just hoping I haven't pushed it too much as I know my body likes to reward me with niggles after a marathon. Anyway, that's that. I'll be volunteering at juniors tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hazel, don't blame you for ducking out of that run in dire weather. Here in the UK we are getting to the dizzy heights of 12 degrees, but that northerly wind makes it feel colder. Due to get warmer this week................

Cal, well done for helping out at the parkrun (and then doing your Good Samaritan bit too). Also plaudits due for doing similar at the JPR. I'll be at our local one but only as a supporter to my grandkids. At least it's all over quite quickly!

Parkrun for me today. Very iffy whether I'd do it given the hammy but it was as good as gold in the warm up. And then started playing up with the first step of the actual run! So I thought I'd just run and see if it got any worse - just a dull ache. Luckily it was a 'constant'. The time was 20.54 which was pretty good in the circumstances. Even better was that I caught up with and passed a local 65-60 legend - a sub 19 man. Had a chat with him at the end and I found out why - he's been injured and is on the way back. Even then he clocked about an 83%  age grade (beating me as he's a bit older), but this for him was very low (!). 
    Mrs JB got past the 60% mark for the first time for a while.
  • Options
    Good to see you out at parkrun running and volunteering Cal. 

Careful with that hammy JB, you could otherwise try to use the othe guy as a pacer?   Well done to Mrs JB for her age grading.    

My recovery run got done on Friday in the rain and wind.  I actually ran it quite a bit too fast but I think I was helped by the tailwind up the hill on my 5 x around the village loop.  My watch was well buried under my sleeve so I didn't look at the splits.  Too fast was also the motto for Saturday's run of 10m. With a long run looming on Sunday I intended to do a few quickish miles but not overdo it.  The planned 8m/m were more like high 7:30s to high 7:40s.  At least it was dry and only a moderate breeze.

Finished a decent weekend off yesterday with 22.4 miles.  I ran a river route which I haven't used in a couple of years.  Short car ride and mostly train to the start and home.  Ran with a hydration vest again for water and 2 x gels and an oat bar.  With mildly tired legs from Saturday's efforts I stuck to my LR pace the whole way rather than speeding up for a bit in the second half.  I was tempted to slow down a bit over the last few miles instead but kept persuading myself to do another k, just another k and got through to the end without a slow shuffle.   Good conditions, not exactly tropical at 3degrees on setting off.  I was also glad of the vest to be able to shed a few layers later on.  Mostly sunny with a light breeze.  The route can be very popular with cyclist and stroller-abouters but I guess the temps dissuaded many.  Nice to see all the spring green and whites (wild cherry and sloe blossoms) as I woke up to a few more centimetres of snow up the top of my hill (all melted by the time I got back though).
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Hazel, very well done on that 22.4 miler. Sounds like a negative split which is very impressive? Are you in taper mode now? Weather here is on the change (for the better), with a nice Easter anticipated.

Risked an interval session this morning - 250m/30 second rest and managed 10 before a noticing a slight tweak in the hammy. But stopped before it developed.  

My son was due to do a local HM Sunday week, but isn't physically up to it right now. I was toying with the idea of running it (maybe just sub 2 hour) but we can't transfer his number so it saves me the dilemma of entering an event that I'd be woefully underprepared for.
  • Options
    I have a bit under 5 weeks to race day yet JB so a couple of long runs to go.  I have now at least officially registered and paid. 

Sounds positive regarding the hammy.  Shame that your son wasn't up to the HM, you would probably have got around it ok but it would likely have tired you out for a while.

I am recovering well from Sunday, stayed off of my feet on Monday with a cycle ride then back to standard Tuesday with a group run of 6 and a bit miles with a couple of solo miles beforehand.  The legs (quads) were tired but not sore which is a good sign that training is going well.  I also cycled to and from the run - as ever I enjoyed the whizzz down the hill but struggled a bit back up.
  • Options
    Just short of 10m yesterday.  With a 10m race looming (Saturday) I didn't want to do a full speed session.  Instead I went for a progressive approach, starting with around 2.5 miles at recovery pace working up through the easier paces and finishing with just short of 2 miles at around HM PB pace.  I felt pretty sluggish on the slower paces, it was only once I got to the 8:20s to 8:30s that everything woke up.  The 2 fast miles felt ok - I don't think I will be able to sustain that on Saturday though.  We will see.  Pretty warm - out in a vest for the first time this year.  More Sahara sand so the air quality wasn't too great.
  • Options
    Hazel, more good stuff from you. For someone with your high training volume you seem pretty injury free. What's the trick?

A slow but nasty steep 4k from me yesterday and a 2k on the rower today. Harder than both of these was a session at the allotment swinging a pick axe in the sunshine!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Going by that, you'll have a great race, Hazel...although I know races can throw up all manner of things. Good luck, though!
    (John I think it's because she's younger than us... :lol:)
    Allotment digging sounds like hard work.

Back out there today (and what a gorgeous morning it was) for a 5 miler. Could feel the groin a little but not enough to worry me. It hasn't got worse since, which is a good sign, so I'm safe to do my parkrun on Saturday.

• Options
    Cal, well done. Watch that groin!
    Set out to see if I could run a sub 4 km.
    After a brisk 2k warm up and with decent rests, I managed one in 4.02 and then a 3.59. A relief.
    Planning a bit of parkrun tourism tomorrow: Broadwater near posh Godalming. One of yours, Cal? Are to trying somewhere new too?
    Fabulous day here on the coast.
  • Options
    Good luck with your 100th tomorrow Cal - have a good one!  

I think I have been lucky so far injury wise JB.  I am 48 but only started running in 2007 and more seriously as of 2013 so don't have too many years in the legs yet for my age I guess.   Your allotment digging sounds hard work - clay soil?  Well done on the sub 4 km - I think I have ever only done around 3 of those and most involved a downhill last km of a race!  Enjoy your parkrun tomorrow too. 

Recovery 5 miles yesterday afternoon which felt ok.  I seem to have a better feeling for the pace now though it can feel very sluggish at times and I often want to speed up just to get the legs to wake up.  Nice in the woods - bit of wind in the treetops and birdsong - other than that I met one bloke on his mtb.  Guess quite a lot of people were stuck in Easter traffic jams.  Nice weather here at the moment - it was hard not to do more today but need to save the beans for tomorrow.  Modest 19m trundle on the bike therefore with a break for more woodland walking and cake.
  • Options
    Hazel, far better to be running than stuck in an Easter holiday traffic jam.Yes tou are a relative newcomer to running, but I'll take a punt that you have a significant sporting background. Am I right?

Today's parkrun course was a bit tougher than anticipated but very scenic.
    22.23 was good enough for 14th out of 151 and the 2nd best age grade of the day @ 76%.

I did harbour the ambition of breaking the course record for my age category but failed by 30 seconds and settle for 3rd on the leaderboard. On a good day I might have got closer. Just being greedy!

Cal, in case you are interested it very near a station! (Waterloo to Portsmouth line.)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks for thinking of me, John, although I have done Broadwater! It was in the winter though, so a bit muddy, but there were a lot of tourists celebrating milestones there so there was cake (even gluten free, which is what I'm limited to).

Speaking of...I did my 100th different parkrun venue today at South Woodham Ferrers (a mouthful!) in Essex. Lovely parkrun just up from Burnham on Crouch, which I did earlier in the year, and rather similar (this one also borders the River Crouch) though this is a one lapper. It was a mix of (mostly stony) trail, a little grass and a little hard surface. As it wasn't wet I chanced my old Zoom Flys anyway and they were OK.
    A few people I know came with, so it was a nice occasion, made even better by the weather. Actually felt quite hot towards the end.
    Came in at 27:57...my third fastest time of the year so I seem to be recovering from the marathon. It also happens I needed 57 for my parkrun bingo, so was very happy to get that as a bonus.
    My tourism will slow down a bit now, for financial reasons, but I'll still get out there when I can.
    Celebrated after with coffee and cake (there's a stall there, and they did a fab gluten free coffee and walnut cake that wasn't bone dry like most GF cakes are) before taking the two trains and three tube lines back home again.
  • Options
    No sporting background really JB but I have always been an active sort of person cycling and walking a lot in everyday life. Hammy is ok today then? Another good parkrun, you do seem to be able to put those out regularly.

Nice way to celebrate your 100th Cal, cake, a good time, a nice course and a bingo number. Well done!

10m race for me today, an official 10m PB 1:14:54 of 17 seconds. (I've run faster in 2 HMs). Course PB of 1:17. 3rd F40 so I also got to stand on a box. Decent day..
  • Options
    Hazel, a PB and a place on the podium - what a great combo! Well done indeed.

Cal, I've visited Burnham on Crouch but not on a Saturday. I thought it looked really interesting (historically). Good performance and well done on your 100th venue. I'm dead jealous.
    I know you are a gym user so I'll share news of my latest acquisition: a 40lb weighted vest. I can't actually do much in it but just getting the bloody thing on is an exercise in itself!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I can imagine, John. I wouldn't run in the thing (more stress on the knees) but it would be great for calf exercises.
    Hazel that's absolutely amazing! Fantastic! (I also have run faster in a half than my official 10 mile PB.. I think it's largely down to a lack of 10 mile races and the fact the one I've done the most is in the middle of summer when it can be very warm).

Opted not to run yesterday as two of the peeps I went to my parkrun with were volunteering at Figges Marsh juniors yesterday (Figges Marsh is a bit of grass between Tooting and Mitcham, 2 miles from me) so I decided to volunteer as well. Figured the 4 miles of walking I did was enough exercise for the day.

Made up for that with a bright and breezy 10 miles this morning. Absolutely perfect weather - blue skies, sun, but nicely cool on my skin so I didn't get too hot. Still plenty of blossoms (mostly cherries now) and also bluebells in some of the woodier bits. A few aches and pains but most eased off. My right knee was a bit grouchy...I think it's because I sat a lot yesterday (once I'd got home from the junior parkrun). I need to remind myself to get up and stretch or walk around way more often than I actually do, but I do get so absorbed when I'm playing a game. Eh well. 
  • Options
    Cal, nice to get out in the lovely weather.
    I've not run a 3 mile for a food while, and, still a bit irked by my last parkrun pace, decided to go all out and go for a sub 20. Missed it by 28 seconds, but it was a rather ambitious target.
  • Options
    Congratulation on the 100th different Parkrun Cal, I've got PR bingo on the go as well I seem to consistently hit the same numbers !

John, Good to see you back on the PR course smashing out what are bloody hard times for most of us even though you are just coming back from injury

Hazel, I am jealous of your training and how much you put in

Covid really seems to have set me back on my overall fitness and pacing. What was easy 3 weeks ago has become damn right hard. First pyramid session yesterday aiming for sub 45m in 10k and whilst not far away during a HM (46m) I seem miles off now... That session was just disturbingly hard

Up until now I've relied on Garmin coach plans but they start you from scratch which I don't want, especially with races only 5 weeks away. So I purchased a Ben Parkes plan from tinternet which seems pretty decent. I need some sort of plan telling me what to do or it'll go belly up. 
  • Options
    DH good to hear from you. Yes, getting peak fitness back after illness/injury can be a bugger. It gets worse as you get older although I'm really lucky in that respect......
    ...  which is just as well, as this bloody hamstring is being stubborn 

Ben Parkes does some good stuff on You Tube. He came to our local Park Run and said some very nice things about it. Someone I know had a chat with him and Ben is a top guy. If you check out his You Tube channel it's the Worthing PR.
    (I spend far too much time on You Tube.)

Good luck with getting back on form.

• Options
    Thanks John, slow and steady I think for that hammy ! 

I like Mark Lewis on YT as well if want additional viewing. I've not had the chance to view any of Ben's stuff but I know he's on it. 

Easy 10k last night, will be an easy 10k tonight as well if I get the time ! 
  • Options
    DH, yes I'm another Mark Lewis fan. Witty guy who speaks a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did a 6 miler on Wednesday and my knee was really quite stabby through the whole run, then groin ached all Thursday. So took Friday off bar a walk, and fortunately knee was less stabby today so I was able to actually run at parkrun. I did Hockley Woods in Essex (not too far from South Woodham Ferrers where I was last week) as some other friends were going. It's an undulating woodland trail run; two laps, with a nasty sharp uphill at the end of each lap (there's also a couple of more gradual climbs). Ran 29:10 which isn't too bad by my current standards. Felt knee and groin a bit but no stabbing, which is good as I was concerned it might hurt on the downhill bits.
    Got races next weekend so hopefully I'll be OK for those (a mile and a 10K...plus parkrun of course).
  • Options
    Cal, well done.

I managed 1k before the hammy went. Had to walk back past 300 runners!
    The overall winner was a VW25  who broke the course record!

As for me I've hit a 'runner's low'.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well crap, John. Not good at all.
  • Options
    Thanks Cal. As my gran would say 'worse things happen at sea'. No worries.