Options

2008 Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Congrats Eric.  OMG ... that's a whole hour quicker than my Half PB!!  How slow am I?!  (actually don't answer that one ... please!  Rhetorical question!).

Hope all who did the GNR today (and other races of course) had a great time.  Weather was certainly great down here in the south, hope it was equally good in the north for you guys.

• Options

Hi all, been feeling very sorry for myself for last two weeks with a lurgy!!

Feeling human again so thought I would see how everyone is doing.

Nice to see that a few of you are doing the Inverness 10k on sunday. Me too, so hope to see you up there.Just booked a B and B on Ness walk so mr Ali can watch ( laugh) from the comfort of the bar as I crawl past!!! Never done a 10k before so I've got to get a PB eh!!!!

• Options
    Well done Eric! I did GNR in 1.58.46 - my half PB is 1.48 but that was a while ago, and I've never got under 2 hours at GNR before, so I was pleased with it. Found it really really hard though and I'm very sore. I decided during it that I wasn't going to do Edinburgh. In fact, that I would never run again. But my family are all saying I'll change my mind very soon!
  • Options

Well done all you GN runners yesterday, I took on  Gebrselassie at Berlin Marathon, but he looked cross so I let him win........ LOL image 

Got 4:11 PW but with  little training after Op end of June wasn't a suprise and I'd targeted 4:20 so chuffed.  Post Op I'm just very pleased to have survived another marathon, and hopefully put June behind me.  Now rest then roll on London & Edinburgh next year yey....  ran last kilometre on my elbows, let alone my knees ROLF!

Felt rough at work this morning......  image sympathetic husband (not) just sat opposite laughing at me.....

Just coming up for air now, think missing breakfast day after marthon was not a good idea, followed by 2 year old daughter playing ring o ring o roses round and round (in the same direction) on sore legs didn't help LOL.  Had to pull over and buy a choccy bar (well thats my excuse, do I need one?)

I'd recommend Berlin to anyone, really great atmosphere, first one I've run to rival London, but not quite beat.......

• Options
    WEll done you - sounds brill! Long rest and LOTS of chocolate now i think!
  • Options

Well done Eric the seagull brilliant time.

S but S, you must run about the same pace as me....I can only dream of breaking the 2 hour barrier!

Has anyone received there packs for Inverness yet? I'm so organised.... just booked b and b for saturday only to remeber my usual dog minder ( ma and pa) are away on hols!!! hope the b and b takes dogs!!

• Options

Congrats to everyone! The thought of running as quickly as you guys makes me feel slightly ill - don't think I'll be breaking the 2:30 barrier for a 1/2, let along the 2 hour one image

Just thought I should mention for anyone waiting for the Inverness packs that I had an email from the organisers today saying that the postal strike had screwed up the packs, and if you hadn't received yours yet you were to reply to the email giving your name and postcode and they would repost them. Failing that, they said that you're able to pick them up from the tents at the finish area before the race. Is there anyone still waiting that didn't get that email? If so I'll forward on the email address...

• Options
    Hi all aching today. managed 2.5 hrs for gnr which I am happy with considering injury and no training.  My best was last year 2.10 next year under 2.  How did everybody else do.  Even more important no injuries, knee in on piece.
  • Options

Alibaliboo ... I'm sure you'll still be quicker than me ... most people are!  image

ScotKat (new name?!), thanks for the heads up on the Inverness race packs.  I still haven't received mine so have now e-mailed the organisers.  Touch & go though as we're leaving for Scotland first thing Thursday, so suspect I'll end up with 'plan B' and collecting on the day but at least they've stated that's an option.

Congrats on your GNR finish Fester ... that looked difficult on TV, it's not exactly a flat, PB course, so I'm impressed, especially with your injury!

AWNTY ... awesome time, 'marathon queen'!  Well done you!!!

• Options
     3 Pals of mine did GNR thought it was going to be 13 degrees and cloudy so they have all got a healthy glow today..... or is that 3 beetroots I see before me??
  • Options
    Tee Hee I make sure I roll my sleeves up and tan evenly image
  • Options
    Hi all, I did the GNR on Sunday, my first half marathon and got round in 1:40:18 and finished in position 2507. Absolutely delighted with that. I just hope I get in the Edinburgh ballot now!
  • Options
    Has anyone here done the Edinburgh Half Marathon? The Great North Run was my big goal for this year and actually the reason that I took up running. I'm now looking for some more halfpmarathons to enter and was considering the Edinburgh one.
  • Options
    I did the Edinburgh Forthside one last year - I loved it but that might be because I got a cracking PB.  Nice route - well organised I thought.  I would recommend it but it was reasonably quiet compared to some of the big ones.
  • Options
    Thanks Gymaddict, It actually sounds like quite a good race to get a new PB in, I think i'll enter it.
  • Options

I've just entered the Edinburgh Forthside half-marathon for next year, that'll probably be my next half.

The customer services manager from the Great North Run has just put a post on the GNR 2008 thread saying that when the certificates for this year's GNR are sent out there will be an offer for the Edinburgh Marathon in it. I hope if I don't get through the ballot then I can still use this offer to get into the Edinburgh Marathon

• Options
    Hi all Well done Leslie thats a fantastic time for your first. I'm looking a bit pink to, how do they make the sun shine every year for the GNR.  I bet it's sunny on october the 5th next year
  • Options
    I hope so, i'm going to go for the 3 year membership for the GNR, if they still do that.
  • Options

SBS - like to change things around a bit every now and then image

Leslie - does that mean that the Forthside 1/2 is open for entry?

Well done to everyone for their times. Good luck to anyone else running this weekend. I'll hope to see some of you up in Inverness - just look for the slow one at the back!

• Options

Lol ScotKat ... that will confuse people as that will be me at the back rather than you!!  image

You know, I never did get an e-mail back from the River Ness organisers ... you were very privileged it seems!  And no ... still no race pack (what a surprise!).  Call me a cynic image, but if it was ever actually posted in the first place and it does eventually arrive, I'll eat my hat! (don't actually own a hat, but I'll buy one then eat it!!).  Never mind, looking forward to collecting it on race day!!  image

• Options

Heh! Well perhaps we can keep each other company at the back then?

I have a few hats I can lend you, just to save you the hassle of buying one to eat it image 

• Options

Well, after this years run I said I wouldn't do it again, however, I've just entered again... so if there's a list, add me to it image

Pug image

• Options

Scotkat, yep it is open it took a bit of googling but I found it, it's reduced entry just now as well. Here's the link Edinburgh Forthside Half Marathon

I assume i'm in, I got a reciept for payment but when I go to the 'Am I In' page it doesn't show anything under my surname. Maybe it takes a day or two to proccess, hopefully!!!

• Options
    Great efforts by everyone this weekend, well done!
  • Options

Leslie, I don't think the half you've entered is the Forthside half, it's a different course with a different start and an earlier start date.  The one described on the link you give looks like a partial route of the Edinburgh Marathon itself with the same grandstand finish at Musselburgh. 

• Options
    scot cat and s but s can I join in the back of the race club for sun????
  • Options
    Hi Pug! See you again at the really really horribly awful Spen 20 as part of the training again?!
  • Options

Hmmmm, you've got me wondering now SB. I found link to the 2007 Forthside half and it re-directed me to the page I put the link to. Maybe they are changing the course and name this year?

• Options

Leslie - I think you must be right in that it has replaced the normal forthside route. Pretty much the same, in that it goes around the coast, but it starts in cramond and finishes in musselburgh instead of starting in leith and going out to granton. To be honest, this route is possibly better as it's a bit more picturesque this way...

No wonder my auto 'inform me when entry opens' didn't work if the website is all down! 

Allballboo - of course you can! Always plenty of room to run at the back - that's my excuse for running there at any rate image

• Options

[b]poppy4[/b] Hi popster, yeah, I'll be there as part of my training... hopefully it won't be 100mph winds again... fingers crossed image Going to need as much as possible, currently got a stress fracture and haven't ran since 16th July... timescale is start back running 10th November... which seems a long time away and not leaving that long for London/Edinburgh!

Pugimage