Options

Sheffield Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Andy you're so speedy! You're by far the fastest in our group for FLM!

Take it easy DM - you've put in the training so you know you can do the distance...
  • Options

DM I know  shouldn't but I can't help looking at the floor when running I just run better that way. Supposed to look up though as it helps breathing and stuff.

But I Don't

Aitch - I just read your RV comment. You haven't automatically beat me. How about attempting the Derbyshire BS Derby 10K and trying your chances image

Or are you frit????

• Options
    When's that then?

I did beat you!
  • Options

20th April

Didn't beat me, i wasn't competing so not possible image

• Options
    Erm, I have plans that day otherwise I'd love to!

Are you feeling ok now? How's the gashed leg?
  • Options

Your scared image

Yes Im much better ta, leg is ok healing nicely. How did you find RV???

• Options
    Alright, alright, I'm scared! Of course you'll beat me! You're a man!

RV was good but I didn't like that it was completely flat...found it hard without downhill recovery BUT I managed sub 9 m/m the whole way round - a first for me as I'd only just gotten used to 10 m/m!! 55.37 official time! I won't be able to keep that pace for Sheffield though...not 13.1 miles!

Glad your leg is healing...
  • Options
    Well done for 9m/m. Have you done a HM before??? I bet you go faster than you think you will, especially at stadium and eccleshall rd
  • Options
    Yeah I did Notts in 06 and ended up with a poor time of 2.30 which averages at 11.5 m/m!! I was even slower back then!! In fairness, it was 25 degrees and my first half! I feel more confident this time round and I think if I pushed myself I could do 2.10 which would be a vast improvement!! 11 milw run last weekend was 1.50 so that puts me on track......fingers crossed eh?! Did you say you're looking for 1.40?
  • Options

Well i was but having not been able to train for a couple of weeks it might be a bit hopeful. I can certainly agree you would have been slowed down in 06 if it was hot. I did Mansfield half once when it was 34 degrees apparantly, there were people dropping out like flies and i finished in a disappointing time sapped.

I might have a late session on treadmill actually although i hate them

• Options
    Take it as it comes and see how you feel on race day - that's all you can do.

The HM we did, my uncle collapsed at 12 miles and couldn't finish! He was severely dehydrated - quite scary really!

I hate treadmills too - I never feel comfortable on them

Right, I'd better hit the sack and get some beauty sleep. Night!
  • Options

did Coniston 14 saturday - 1:48 pleased with that

really looking forward to sheffield look well organised and chip timing is a favourite with me especially at big races..

• Options

Good run SS, I had been wanting to do Coniston but work got in the way image

Sheffield is a great run, well organised and in the main well supported. See you there image

• Options

Hello folks

Urrrghh!  image Horrible 10.7 miles yesterday - was hoping for 11 miles at least, but didn't wear enough layers to get properly warm (was misled by the sun shining through the kitchen window just before I left the house), left it too long after eating breakfast so didn't feel properly fuelled up, and ended up needing the loo - and having to queue in the cold - haflway round ,which didn't do much to keep me warm!  1:49:01 - rubbish, for me at least!

Oh well, sometimes you just have to accept you have a bad run.image

Hopefully the fact I've managed to keep up at least 3 runs per week, and to do weekly speedwork/tempo runs, should keep things on track.  At least I'm fairly sure I'll have covered the distance as well by the time the race comes, which is more than I did for Bath Half (no more than 10 miles in preparation).

The one consolation is I'm still not getting any knee/ankle niggles, which is a definite improvement on how things used to be for this sort of distance!

• Options

Well done LP on your 10.7 miles. Sounds like your training is going well.

I still haven't been able to get out for a long run yet since my calf injury but i am aiming for Thursday morning, just a couple of treadmill sprints before then to test the muscle. I am still hoping I can cram in enough training before Sheffield to get back down to about a 1.40 (might be a bit optimistic after injury though) image

Keep it up image

• Options
    Doing my last long run on Friday morning if you want to join KPO? It would be a gentle jog for you though! Aiming for about 12 miles but will see how it goes....

Well done Lady P - it was by no means a bad run - it was a TRAINING run and the most important thing for you is not getting your niggling joint problems! You know you can run the distance - you did Bath not so long ago. Don't sweat it honey, you will be fine! xx
  • Options

Aitch -  You wouldn't believe i was going to ask you if you fancied a quick one, what time you out where do you go???

I have just done a steady 4 miles as my last test of calf before clocking up the miles again and it is fine. 10 miles Thursday morning and now possibly 11 miles on friday, god i have missed it image

• Options
    Well I'm off work all day so I was thinking of the morning but not decided on a time yet...Maybe 10 or 11? I'll do a rout on g-maps and email it to you see what you think. You'll have to run slooooowly though!
  • Options
    KPO - you have mail!
  • Options
    Aitch course looks good but i forgot i am at work, unless you fancy setting off at about 6 image, I do fancy a bit of a run though if you are out and about any other time, or can do thursday night????????
  • Options
    Erm, Thursday night could be good.....now the nights are lighter it makes it ok for running....
  • Options
    Ok well let me know and i will sort it out. I finish at 6 so any time after it that isn't too late. I assume 6am wasn't appropriate image
  • Options
    Erm forget that then, just read email image
  • Options
    Erm, no 6am isn't very appropriate for me! I like my sleep!

6pm - now you're talking!
  • Options

Is it actually legal to go running at 6am?

I'm getting really excited about this race now. Did 14m on friday and 10m last night and didn't feel absolutely awful, which was nice! You've gotta love these light nights, even if it is snowing!

Good running everyone -not long now!

• Options
    I hate running before countdown is on the telly, I'm lazy too. Managing about 3 x 8 miles a week at the minute because of not much free time so the half should hopefully give me the kick up the ass I need.image
  • Options

If it is bunny it shouldn't be, then i would have an excuse to stay in bed until work. I am very lazy in a morning tbh.

Cake - alright mate, 3 x 8 miles is good when you haven't much free time. I know what its like though which is why i have to get up early and run before work image

• Options

Hi everyone  - hope the training is going OK. I've entered this as my first 1/2 marathon so I'm a little nervous. Hoping for 1.50-1.55.

Can someone who has done this race before provide a definitive view as to how bad the hills are? There seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion between some posters. From the gradient plan on the web site the course looks pretty much downhill/flat from the 8 mile mark ?

Thanks for any help - keep training ! 

• Options

There is a slight gradient on the course but not that bad and it is down hill all the way after you get pass Devonshire green (assuming it's the same course this year haven't checked yet). A lot of the concern is because most courses make sure they are as flat as possible, Sheffield's tried to do that as well but there isn't nothing but hills round here, but there isn't anything scary to climb.

It's a good one for a first timer with the support other than the industrial bit just coming up to and going out from Don valley. Don't be daunted just enjoy the dayimage