Options

Sheffield Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hills??? Hills??? There are no hills.image

Keatsie - Depends where you come from as to the opinion of others, If they come from somewhere such as the flatlands of Lincolnshire people would say it is hilly (it isn't), however if they come from the area or somewhere similar people will tell you it is flat (it is), undulating at worst. Describing it as best I can I would say it is a fairly fast flat course with the odd small incline, there is nothing whatsover severe though I assure you. Its a great run with plenty of support generally just the odd industrial bit which gets sparse, just prepare yourself for at about 10 miles you go through a dull industrial area for about 1.5 miles (ish) and if you are struggling at that point I can imagine it makes it seem quite a slow slog home, but after that there is just the run back up to the stadium, around the outside of the stadium (image) and then the glorious entry into the stadium to an Olympic style (ish) cheer. Anyway it is a good run, oneof my favourites, so good luck and enjoy.

KPO

• Options

Keatsie - I concur with KPO; it's flat by Sheffield standards, and probably flat according to most people who don't come from pancake land (Selby, Lincolnshire, Holland). The only climb I remember is going up Eccesall road, towards hunter's bar roundabout. But then you get to swing round and come all the way back, so it's not even that bad.

There's nothing you could describe as a 'hill'. If you find one, you've got lost!

They should organise a race around Crookes/Hillborough. That'd sort the fish from the goats (or something)...

• Options

Keatsie...Its flat, Its fast, Its atmospheric, and rather contradictory...its dull in a minority of places. The dull places have water stops tho so it keeps the mind fresh.

One things for sure...ul be wanting to come back each year for more. Enjoy. Your predicted time would be ace, Good luck.

• Options
    Oh, n remember...half of hills in races are created by the mind...people tell you their views which sometimes breed negative thoughts. Positive thoughts can give you an easy 10% on your time. Just remember the mantra "I run because i can"... a lot of people cant ya know. And the mantra works just as well as any metronome too!
  • Options
    Fish from the goats? Anyone else for a new marathon up from Enclifte park up to the Norfolk arms turn right to Stanage edge and back down into crooks and the pub? Would be fantasticimage
  • Options

Poo, I definately won't be able to do this race. It seems my latest injury is a strain/spasm of the Rhomboid and will take weeks to heal. Pants.

Good luck to all of you, maybe I'll see you there next year!

• Options
    Ouch CC2 is it the major or minor???
  • Options
    I wish there were more hills! The Rother Valley 10k reminded me how much I enjoy hills in runs....I often find flat very hard as there are no chances for recovery after the challenge of a hill...

((CC2)) hope you're ok...
  • Options
    That much I don't know. Rhomboid and lower fibres of the trapezius are the ones spasming apparently. And the T4 and T5 of my thoracic spine are immobile and I have to do exercises to mobilise them. That didn't mean a great deal to me so I googled it. Like you do! Anyway, running hurts so I won't be doing any of that until it stops hurting. I shall be getting very familiar with the exercise bike and cross trainer. Whoopee.
  • Options

(((CC2))) Poor you!  Sorry to hear about your injuries - hope you're OK.

I'm a hill person too. image  And funnily enough I actually prefer running uphill to downhill.  But I welcome a bit of a flatter course - it makes it seem way easier given how hilly all my training runs are!

Really enjoyed this for my first half last year - people are right; the run through Attercliffe is tough, particularly coming so near the end of the race when you could really do with bigger crowds to take your mind of the lack of scenery, but as has been said there are drinks stops at this point, and on the whole the atmosphere for this race is great, and the stadium finish (once you've got over the frustrating bit round the outside of the stadium) is ace (and the track is nice underfoot).

• Options

CC2 sorry to hear about that, isn't swimming any good??? I know i would prefer that to the boredom of the exercise bike

Hills are great, apart from downhills which is what knackered my calf up and since then i have a fear of downhill sections, im sure it will pass over time when i get more confident that the muscle isn't going to go again

• Options

Good idea from KPO!

((CC2)) When I sprained my ankle last autumn I ended up doing quite a bit of swimming, out of necessity (initially even getting on a bike was too painful).

Have to admit, I haven't really kept up with it as I'm a terrible swimmer and not ultimately that keen, but maybe you could do some swims, some exercise bike work and some cross-trainer and just keep it as varied as possible you won't get too bored.

Can you do some gentle walking as well to get yourself outdoors? I know the term 'gentle walking' is not something a runner likes to hear as an exercise suggestion - I walk a lot, but would always want the option of something more vigorous.  But if it's possible to do it withou pain it would at least keep you on your feet.

• Options

Thanks LP thats something not normally said about my ideas image

Various different activities are definately the best way to go when injured i reckon. I do find it frustrating myself though as running is the only exercise that i really want to do.

• Options

CC2 sorry to hear about the injury. KPO and Lady P are spot on about the swimming badly damaged a tendon in my left leg about 4 years ago and swimming helped a lot because of low impact would recommend it to any one injured or not.

Aitch if you like hills you might be interested in the Nottingham half or Marathon later on this year. There's a forum and bookmark on this site.

• Options
    Cake - I've done the Notts half before....but they've changed the course since I did it because of complaints about the hills - I thought they were great!! The short one in the university may as well have been vertical though.... I think I might enter, even though it's the weekend before my first tri! Maybe I'll see how quickly my legs recover from Sheffield half and if they're completely fine within 3-4 days I think I will do it!
  • Options

It seems kind of appropriate that a group of hill-loving runners are to be found on the Shef Half thread....even if the race is actually light on hills!

I put myself in the 'uphills rock' group; I actually prefer it to running on the flat (although I obviously wouldn't want to just run 'up' all the time....I don't think). I agree with Aitch that they break up the sameness of running on the flat.

Sympathies to CC2, hope you recover well and don't have any further problems. Rhomboid is a good word though, just not in your case.

And Cake, your idea for a 'marathon' up Endcliffe and back through Crookes does sound good, in a 'all up, all down, hurts like hell' kinda way... One day I might try it, when I'm feeling stupid and energetic....Probably one day in July!

• Options

Thanks for the sympathies guys. Sadly I'm not great at swimming, have to hold my head up above the water as I panic if my mouth goes under water, that leads to a crick in the neck which is the last thing I need with a dodgy back. Plus the chlorine wrecks my hair image

At least with the bike/x-trainer I can watch DVDs at the same time - I have both in my spare room. I might go for a walk on  saturday. If I can think of somewhere purposeful to walk to. Maybe to town - about 6 or 7 miles away I reckon. Then I could do some shopping and get the bus home!

• Options

BunnyPhobia I completely agree that hills do break up the sameness of flat, although I must admit I don't share your enthusiam for them!

I enjoy Sheffield more than anything for the winding route through the city centre and the tunnels, around about mile 9 or 10ish I think. My memory may be serving me wrong on this, but I'm sure I recall the route going through some kind of underground car-park... I may be wrong though. Enjoyable nonetheless image

• Options
    It does near pond street very briefly to get under a road. For the hill people look at this mmmm image
  • Options
    It must be that one just befor 5 mies that I'm talking about, Cake image I thought the bit through the park was so lovely. The shade was well needed as was 25 degrees in race day 2006!!!
  • Options

It is quite nice going round that big lake if it's to hot, but thats for anouther trend. image

• Options

Thanks for the info people much appreciated. I live in one of the highest villages in Yorks so I should be OK !

Still bricking it though !!

• Options

not been on for a while how is every ones training going ? hopefully weather permiting will be going on my last long run this sunday and then start to wind down only doing around eight miles

looks like the plan has backfired wife has enterd but has booked the next day off not becouse she will be to tired but just incase she has a hangover image so although i will not get draged around medowhell she will not be driveing to the pub

• Options
    But you had it planned out so well Foo! Never mind..... How's the hip?

KPO and I are going for a 12 miler tomorrow - although he'll have to seriously slow down for me....

• Options

so can you guys describe this course for me mile by mile , hill by hill?

• Options
    I'm doing 11 or 12 miles on Sunday, last long run... image
  • Options

Hi

Can anyone let me know if there are any facilities / entertainment is available for waiting family members whilst we runner are off on a jolly!?

Thanks

C

• Options

I've got a 15miler tomorrow, then 13m, then..race. Woo! Good LSRs from everybody. There's something liberating about the 'last long run'...

Foo - I guess you'll be the smug one on monday, when you wake up hangover free...image

SoreShins - I haven't run the race since 2005, so I'm not the best (I seem to recall it went road-road-newroad-uptoHunter'sBar-oh dear, I don't feel very well, slow down, road-road, oo, the finish!Nevermind the time). There is a race map on the website, and it's not hilly enough to have actual 'hill' sections. Just gentle undulations.

Can anyone recommend a pub that won't be plagued by post-race ppl? Think out towards the Peaks somewhere would be best. My dad's offered to take me to the pub for dinner as a post-race/bday celebration and I don't say no to that kinda offer!

• Options

i haven't yet entered the sheffield half, i've been training since Jan and I'm a total beginner - I don't even know if I'll enter! the longest I've run is 9 miles in 1:40 but really felt like I couln't have gone any further. the closer it gets, the more i think i dont want to do it!! i'm supposed to be doing 12 miles this weekend but i've not run at all this week as i'm completely unmotivated. Do you think I'll be able to finish under 3 hours?

• Options

Does anyone know whats inside the goody bag. Is it worth the pain