Options

The Sh*te on a Bike Thread

Comments

• Options

I have a little manual that I use that is really good but as Popsy says ..  stick it on the turbo or on a stand and have a look and see what happens each time and what bit does what

I adjusted mine a bit at the weekend and it is better which gives me a bit more confidence!

• Options
    By chain tension I meant cable tension !
  • Options
    KK - you could try getting the Haynes bike book - it doesn't cover more advanced stuff but does have lots of pictures and step by step help on all the basic maintenance. Even I can follow it!
  • Options

KK.- If you can fix it yourself it will give you that much more confidence in yourself and your bike once you start getting a feel for how it all works.- The haynes book helped me, and I quick google filled in the gaps I couldn't work out.-

• Options

I'm more than happy and capable to replace/fix anything on my road bike and MTB, but the one thing which I always struggle with is setting up the gears to change smoothly and reliably up/down the front chainrings.  No matter how close I get it, I can never seem to get it 100% which is why I end up putting it in to the local bike shop.  It seems to be a job which is easy once you know how and have the knack, but I found that while books could teach you the theory, there's more to it than that when it comes to getting perfect shifting!

Its usually a quick and very cheap thing for a bike shop to sort out for you, so I'd be tempted to give them a call and they'll probably fix it while you wait.

• Options
    KK - I'd just do it with the bike standing still - even turn it upside down (on carpet to avoid scratching the shifters) - lets you see how it works.   
  • Options

the wire leading to the front mech will have an adjuster somewhere between the laver and the mech.

Sometimes its a barrel that mounted on the down tube (bog one that goes from the front down to the place where the pedals are)

if so then turn the adjuster anti clockwise

If there isn't one then it will have an inline adjuster. a barrel shaped thing about an inch long on the cable coming from the lever.

its two bits, turn it anticlockwise again!

Good luck

hth

• Options

Oh my, all these mechanics.  I had enough trouble taking the bike apart to pack it for the aeroplane.  I had to have the laptop in front of me so I could follow the step by step guide (with pictures) for how to do it. 

When it comes to mechs and gear problems, I take mine to the LBS and smile sweetly. 

Or Sweetie.  He's very good.  Just not to JD.  Oooh  noooo.

• Options

Nooo nooooo nooooooo  keep the bike away from JD

Holly have a look at the Fish Hill thread there is another route in there

• Options
    Does anyone use the Gramin cadence sensor and bike mount and if so what do you think of it?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    that sounds posh
  • Options
    A mate uses one LMH and he reckons it is good - he doesn't use a bike computer any more just the Garmin - it's the bike specific one he's got.  I was thinking of getting one myself.
  • Options

Pops - the 305 I've got has a bike sensor and mount as optional extras so I was thinking of getting those rather than a more expensive bke computer as the ones we've got are quite basic and I think a cadence sensor would be useful for me, and Mark needs ideas for Xmas of course!

• Options

Yes I was thinking of it as an xmas pressie too.

Here's an idea for everyone -  a bit of motivation for next year - not sure if it clashes with whatever ironman people are doing but it should be a good event as the organiser has been quite vocal in criticising one or two other UK sportives over their organisation.

http://www.davelloydmegachallenge.com/

• Options

<<shakes head in bafflement>> why would someone think that was fun?

I really do have to persuade Mark to head up towards the Peaks - or at least round your Tuesday night route Pops, I need the hill practice. I hate hills. I hate hills running or riding. Hills are not my friend, they laugh at me and torture me.........

• Options

Did a hilly, just short of 30 miles today including a climb of 750ft in 5miles

felt good but was still slow

• Options
    WW - what kind of effort was it? Sub 70% easy cruise?
  • Options

a couple of points on the climbs my HR would have reflected the fact i was working hard but the rest of the ride was dun at the sub 70% level

• Options

Quality work

I'd better pull my finger out and try some of the same before winter gets in the way. I'm such a wuss in bad weather!

• Options

I have 3 sessions planned for this week.

circa 1 hr easy

circa 1 hr easy

circa 2 hr long

that's it for me. Weather permitting the rides will be all outside, otherwise the 2 short ones will be on the turbo.

I have 1 weights session planned as well

• Options

Hoping to get out one evening mid week plus a spinning session this week ontop of my weekend ride

• Options
    Is spinning any good? They have classess at my gym but it looks a bit posey
  • Options
    I quite often just spin on my own but classes can be good if you have a good instructor ... especialy through the winter
  • Options
    There does seem a lot of people talking about gym classes on these forums recently - spinning, boxercise, body combat etc.    I'm not saying these classes are a waste of time but they aren't really training for a specific sport are they.    Yes I suppose spinning is a cycling action but if you've already got a bike why not train on that - it's more specific training out on the road on your own bike and the time you spend travelling to and from the gym could be spent riding - cycling takes a lot of time to get good at and as triathletes you have two other sports to fit in already.    The other thing is does nobody do local chain gangs and club time trials ?   Aren't the traditional methods of going out with others, getting dropped, keep going back for more until you can keep up a better way of improving on the bike than hours spent on your own on a turbo or going to spinning classes with people who are mostly just there for general fitness ?  If you are competitive then you can put more effort in and get more benefit from riding with others than you can on your own.
  • Options

Maybe cos i like spinning and i have a spinning bike

i do tri cos i like it, i hike and climb cos i like it ... i spin cos i like it i even do a fare bit of MTBing

i've tried a couple of roady clubs for club 10s etc ... dinnt fit in .. anal about "You should be on you bike ... not running swimming .. etc"

• Options
    Pops - ta for the Lloydy ride stuff ! Pretty local to me but its the weekend after IMF - maybe i should just enter the little one ?
  • Options

Popsider - you have a point but I am just not social enough to be able to deal with the local "bike crew". I'm sure they are really nice people but I'm not, so I tend to stick with training that doesn't require the use of others.

This is convienient, but ultimately very limiting.

• Options

And

Anybody that claims they need to use a single gear to work on souplesse is just being a ponce.